Henry vs Cantona - who was better

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
Henry, the best player to ever play in the premier league for me.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Arsenal fans will never feel about Cantona the way I feel about him. We will never feel about Henry the way they feel about him.

I can't look at this dispassionately. I can't even begin to do that. Say Cantona and I just think about chips at Selhurst Park and Brammall Lane, collar turned up, kung fu kick. Too many great memories. I'm not even interested in evaluating Cantona against any other player, including Rooney and Ronaldo.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
He wasn't, In terms of touch and ability with the ball at your feet he was never of that level. The better comparison in that sense would be Bergkamp.
You’re massively underestimating Henry’s technical ability. Everyone will have different assessments of different players, but anyone who says that Henry was nowhere close to Cantona technically is miles off in their assessment.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
You’re massively underestimating Henry’s technical ability. Everyone will have different assessments of different players, but anyone who says that Henry was nowhere close to Cantona technically is miles off in their assessment.
Indeed. Not to dis Cantona at all but there's not a player in history that Henry was "nowhere close to" regarding technical ability.

The guy was absolutely ridiculous. He'd probably get more respect as a player if he hadn't also been lightning fast.

Last edited:

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
As great as "the King" was, he didn't play enough games for us to be compared to Henry. Most "all time best XI's" will include Henry, not Cantona. Just don't tell any gooners that I said that...

tomaldinho1

Why did Cantona perform poorly for France and in Europe with Utd? Those are the big question marks over him
You should read The Rebel who would be King. Got loads of info on his time in France and his various spats with national team members. Plus is a generally interesting book on his life.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Cantona was brilliant for us but outside of United fans no one really cares much for him. Henry was in a league of his own broadly speaking. This is not even a serious question.
That is just nonsense. Cantona was truly a special player, cool as feck with unmatched charisma to go with his playing ability. You will get a nod in that sense from every football fan who got the chance to see his career and not just United supporters.

Henry was a better player, yes, but in general many football fans have more admiration towards Cantona because of his personality and impact that he had on the game.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Indeed. Not to dis Cantona at all but there's not a player in history that Henry was "nowhere close to" regarding technical ability.

The guy was absolutely ridiculous. He'd probably get more respect as a player if he hadn't also been lightning fast.
Agree with this. What made Henry so hard to defend against was his immaculate technique at the searing pace he could play at.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Cantona. The guy won 2 very different teams the league title. Literally the deciding factor in every EPL title that his tram's won every season he was available to complete the whole season.

Most people will lean to Henry because of his superior work rate and statistics. Technically there is nothing between them. But to me Cantona's influence over title winning is unmatched. So unmatched only Ngolo Kante recently became only the second player to directly cause two totally different teams to lift consecutive epl titles.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
There's a lot of fair feedback on my OP that these are two very different players, but both were ultimately forwards seen as pioneers of their clubs, elevating the rest of the squad and winning titles.

I that's enough to compare one against the other to see who goes down as the bigger great. For example Henry is spoken about as arguably the greatest Premier League player ever, and I wanted to know where Cantona fares and why he'd be not mentioned in the same breath.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I that's enough to compare one against the other to see who goes down as the bigger great. For example Henry is spoken about as arguably the greatest Premier League player ever, and I wanted to know where Cantona fares and why he'd be not mentioned in the same breath.
Because he wasn't as good. Henry was a top 50 player all time. Cantona, while great, was not quite that good, except in the Premier League at a time when the PL was comparably relatively weaker than the Serie A of today...

RooneyLegend

He wasn't, just wasn't that type of player.

Oh there are loads and without pace Henry wouldn't have been anything close to what it he was.
Agree with this. What made Henry so hard to defend against was his immaculate technique at the searing pace he could play at.
I'd say more his imagination and searing pace.

You lot need to stop acting like he was a player with a feather touch and loads of ability with the ball at his feet. He was never elite in that regard. He was an amazing player but that was for other reasons.

My point is Cantona technically belongs in the same category as Bergkamp, Di Canio, Zola, Le Tiss, David Silva, B.Silva, Djorkaef, Jay Jay, Payet etc you know, guys who were amazing with the ball at the feet. Henry just doesn't belong there.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Oh there are loads and without pace Henry wouldn't have been anything close to what it he was.

You lot need to stop acting like he was a player with a feather touch and loads of ability with the ball at his feet. He was never elite in that regard. He was an amazing player but that was for other reasons.

My point is Cantona technically belongs in the same category as Bergkamp, Di Canio, Zola, Le Tiss, David Silva, B.Silva, Djorkaef, Jay Jay, Payet etc you know, guys who were amazing with the ball at the feet. Henry just doesn't belong there.
Cantona and Payet in the same category ?!

Cloud7

Henry was better for me. Henry and C Ronaldo are the two greatest PL players. Feel free to argue which is #1 and #2

Spoony

The People's President
I can remember the day we signed him... it was announced on local radio - yes, no internet in those days. Came as a complete shock to everyone, I always liked him but no one could've predicted how his time here was going to turn out. I recall listening to Jimmy Wag's phone in on GMR and there were plenty of jilted Leeds United fans calling in. I was just watching a YT clip of the day he signed and one fan commented 'They won't be singing Ooh Aah Cantona here at Old Trafford'. You've got to love that man's crystal ball.

FattyFooty

You my sons and daughters are very young if you can't remember the greatness of Cantona.

Even when he kicked a supporter, he had way more class than Henry's awful handball. ‍♂

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I've been to a number of Arsenal games post Henry leaving and can't say i recall a song for him.
And arsenal fans are big on their history songs still singing about the league unbeaten year, vieira and winning the league in Manchester.
Cantona is still sung about regularly at OT almost a quarter of a century on.

Different levels of icon.

Totally different strikers though. A much better comparison would be with Bergkamp.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Henry was arguably the best player to ever play in the Premiership. Cantona was great for you and should be remembered as your most important player for a good chunk of the 90s. But sorry to say Henry was the better player.
Nothing to be sorry about. Henry hands down. But contona was the catalyst that made United, well United.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
It's like opening a tin of Quality Street and comparing the purple one (Cantona), the one with a hazelnut in the centre surrounded by soft gooey caramel, and that sorry yellow disk thing (Henry), which is nothing more than a lump of a hard toffee designed to break your teeth.

Not a fair comparison by any standards.

OL29

You think Di Canio, Bernardo Silva and Payet were more technically gifted than Henry?

Feels like you’re really underrating him here, Henry’s touch dribbling and passing, combined with unreal vision made him one of the most technically gifted players of his generation. His collection of goals alone was a testament to this, let alone his assists.

Iron

Between signing henry age 24 and Cantona age 24 for 7 years at the club, i choose Henry.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Henry was a great goal scorer.

Cantona was that and so much more. If you want to win things you go with Cantona.

To me it's Cantona and it's easy.
Nistelroy was a great goalscorer.

Henry was far more than just a goalscorer.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Henry, and it's a no contest for me. Henry is the 2nd best attacker the league saw behind Ronaldo.

jus2nang

Supports
Arsenal
Cantona won 5 leagues in less than 6 years he spent in England and he was banned for 8 months of them, that's a crazy record.
But he played for Man Utd though (I know he helped start the process with respect to the PL titles but you'd have done it anyway).

mosschopps

I remember people laughing at school that man utd had signed eric, how wrong they were. Henry was a better player but Eric had the attitude to win at the time.

FattyFooty

Nistelroy was a great goalscorer.

Henry was far more than just a goalscorer.
Henry was great in premier league. He was kinda disappointing in all the other things he did even if it was football or handball he played. To me atleast. Maybe i expected to much.

Cantona on the other hand, he was a King.

MikeeMike

Cantona was revolutionary in transforming Manchester United into the arrogant and dominant champions that is their identity today. Was he as talented at football as Henry? No. If I was to repeat history which would I choose in Manchester United's path? Cantona, 100 times out of 100.

Cantona at United forged an identity for the club. Henry at Arsenal forged an identity for himself.
Cantona will always be legendary to me. He was missing piece in a puzzle. After 15 years watching Utd and then until the day he retired , I was always excited to watch him play. Henry was different. Silky smooth and got into goal scoring positions based more on pace.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
But he played for Man Utd though (I know he helped start the process with respect to the PL titles but you'd have done it anyway).
He didn''t just help start the process, he was the deciding factor.
Perhaps you didn't live through that era, hence its impossible for you to understand how influential he was. He has the kind of leadership, charisma, influence and vision no one else ever come close to, the class of 92 all look up on him, so he did lay the foundation of our success for decades to come.
In my very honest opinion, he was the only player worth the title of "King"

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
After thinking about it, I would say that they were on par talent wise. The difference career wise is that while they are both known for their difficult temper, Henry found his manager early in his career at Monaco in Wenger and was allowed to join him again later. Wenger was the perfect fit for Henry someone that was a control freak who also happens to be able to give room to certain players while keeping control. On the other hand Cantona fought with almost everyone not named Sir Alex Ferguson or Houllier which cost him a lot of early individual success and accolade, he was great for all the teams he played for and rated by all his teammates but always managed to have a fall out with someone.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Henry was great in premier league. He was kinda disappointing in all the other things he did even if it was football or handball he played. To me atleast. Maybe i expected to much.

Cantona on the other hand, he was a King.
Cantona literally did nothing outside the Premier league. Never did it in Europe or at international level.

Henry wasn't as impressive there as in the Premiership, but at least he has a decent body of work there.