He's only young!

FujiVice

This whole idea of "well, such and such did it when he was 23 why cant Pogba?" is a pointless argument. There are many factors at play because individuals are all different. He's six months into a Manchester United career where we have a new manager who took his time to find his best set up and (according to reports) still feels there's another transfer window of major business left before we are title challengers. Its easy to pick faults and ask questions, but in reality we'll know all those answers in a few years time. I think giving him shit for certain performances is deserved, but let's not go overboard and completely put the blame on his shoulders.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Posts like this make neutrals laugh at you.
Why? It's technically true. How many other players were as accomplished at his age? 100? 200? Against how many professional footballers there have ever been in the UK alone?

finneh

Depends on the player, his deficiencies, his strengths and his position.

If you have someone who's natural strength is his footballing intellect then his footballing peak is likely to coincide with his physical peak. Rooney is a good example of this. He was a naturally intelligent player who's peak would always be when he is strongest and fastest. I'd put Harry Kane and Dele Alli into this category too; they have great footballing brains.

I see Pogba as having great technical and physical attributes, but in my view intellectually he still has a long was to go. I still think he's still 2-3 years from maturity in this sense and so my view wish his peak will be maybe 27 - 30 provided he looks after himself physically.

I don't think moving to Juventus helped him intellectually unfortunately (the area he most needed developing). I think he had more freedom in that team and league than was ideal, whilst his technical qualities were always going to shown through.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He wasn't I don't remember there ever being a conversation about Modric being one of the best players in the league. He has always been top class but not world class.
Modric often got quoted as the best midfielder in the world and probably still is (haven't seen him this season)

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
- What the opposition say when they see Ashley warming up

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Depends on the player, his deficiencies, his strengths and his position.

If you have someone who's natural strength is his footballing intellect then his footballing peak is likely to coincide with his physical peak. Rooney is a good example of this. He was a naturally intelligent player who's peak would always be when he is strongest and fastest. I'd put Harry Kane and Dele Alli into this category too; they have great footballing brains.

I see Pogba as having great technical and physical attributes, but in my view intellectually he still has a long was to go. I still think he's still 2-3 years from maturity in this sense and so my view wish his peak will be maybe 27 - 30 provided he looks after himself physically.

I don't think moving to Juventus helped him intellectually unfortunately (the area he most needed developing). I think he had more freedom in that team and league than was ideal, whilst his technical qualities were always going to shown through.
Completely agree with you, and United fans will have to hope he develops this aspect of his game. He needs to develop a better game sense, tactical awareness and also ability in tight spaces IMO. He might develop this, but he might not. I think the end of the season will be key for peoples perception of him as well as United's season. If he plays like he did at Liverpool he will get a lot of stick and his season will have been underwhelming at best, but if he manage to boss the games from midfield, people will call him world class and worth every penny. He is talented, but most accomplished 23 year old is pushing it, I can think of many younger players who were more accomplished, Pogba may become better than most of them, time will tell.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Is the general consensus that this was a "settling in year" for Pogba and that next season he absolutely has to deliver?