Television High Score (Netflix docuseries)

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Thought this warranted a thread as there’s enough nerds on here (@esmufc07).

Really well made docuseries on the origins of videogames.

Wasn’t sure I’d be interested in it to be honest, but it’s that well put together that I’m thoroughly enjoying it.

evil_geko

I watched it all and thought it was pretty disappointing, there are lots of missing/skipped consoles/computers, inaccurate infos, lots of episodes dragged on in some random directions etc. I went in wanting to love it but I am too much of a gaming nerd to like this.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah watched it last week and enjoyed it.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I watched it all and thought it was pretty disappointing, there are lots of missing/skipped consoles/computers, inaccurate infos, lots of episodes dragged on in some random directions etc. I went in wanting to love it but I am too much of a gaming nerd to like this.
Fecking nerd

OleBoiii

I haven't seen it, but I keep reading this. When it comes to video games, I love the grassroots aspect and the internal conflicts/competitions. Very often the devil is in the technical details. I reckon this series lacks this?

The Smash Brothers is amazing. I also enjoyed The King of Kong.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Good show.
Not liking it on the basis of being too much of a nerd is the silliest comment I've read about it.

acnumber9

I’ve given up after a couple of episodes. Too much focus on competitions etc rather than the actual games for me.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Watched the first episode expecting to get hooked and ended up being bored to tears so don't think I'll bother carrying on. There was a feature length documentary about gaming on Netflix a few years back that was excellent but I've forgotten the name of it.

Edit: Found it, Indie Game: The Movie. A slightly different context in that it covers the origin of lesser-known games but it gives a much more insightful look at the process compared to High Score in my opinion.

Havak

Pokemon master
I'm a gaming historian nerd and I quite liked it.

Obviously, I was hoping they'd go more into other areas, but I can only assume they either did not manage to get permission to (or be able to secure interviews/recording time with the appropriate people) or they're saving it for future series.

Smores

I liked it, even the missus did for some reason. It's just a bit of nostalgia with some interesting interviews from people involved that you may not have heard about.

It's not really about the games themselves that much.

evil_geko

Feck it. I should probably make up my own mind. Might give it a crack. Is it all about arcade games? Or does it cover early home computer games? Stuff like Manic Miner?
It covers both Arcade and Home. Give it a watch, but expect some random non-gaming stories just for inclusivity sake. And some lies and misinformation about who invented cartridges.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Thought this warranted a thread as there’s enough nerds on here (@esmufc07).

Really well made docuseries on the origins of videogames.

Wasn’t sure I’d be interested in it to be honest, but it’s that well put together that I’m thoroughly enjoying it.
My teacher would often say there are two types of people on life; geeks and failures.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I watched it. Started off well but like @evil_geko said it skipped out on a hell of a lot of stuff. Didn’t go into real nitty gritty underbelly of gaming as it were. Anything from how it affects people psychologically, whether in a good way, or in a bad way (loot boxes and gambling) also not enough on graphical advancements. Going from PS to PS2. competition from Microsoft and much much more. This had a potential to be awesome series if they actually decided to do like a feck tonne of episodes focusing from hardware to software of each console and the affect it had through the years. They did that, but they just skimmed over it despite starting off so well.

acnumber9

He’s lying. It doesn’t focus on competitions at all.

It covers all sorts, but not absolutely everything, in case that’s what you wanted.
I’m not. Half an episode was about somebody entering a Space Invaders competition.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

This is what proper nerding looks like.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I'm tempted by this but the reviews seem to suggest that it's very much superficial nostalgia. The trailer does make it look like a "remember collecting coins" show. What's their angle?

These are some very good video game documentaries, all on YouTube I believe:
King of Kong
Chasing Ghosts: Beyond the Arcade
Ecstasy of Order
Indie Game: The Movie