Highest paid managers reported by L'Équipe

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Simeone must be having awesome agent.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Honestly surprised Ole isn't up there given how often we reward mediocrity.

Hell of a contract for Simeone, that.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
So if 10 people occupy the top position the 11th person will be 2nd?
Is this the first time you have seen a ranking? It's done like this everywhere. You're not 2nd if 10 list entries are above you, neither are you 3rd highest paid coach if 3 guys earn more than you.

RoyH1

Is Simeone's salary legit? It's insane that he would earn more than twice of what Klopp earns. 43,6 million would put a massive dent in the salary pool for any club bar the oil sugardaddies.

Skills

Snitch
Did Simeone get a renewal recently? Might have had a 1-off signing bonus recently

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Simeone earns €800k a week? Sorry but I'm calling bullshit on this one.

RoyH1

If Simeone's salary is true, Zidane needs to fire his agent.
He's not that much of a "show me the money" kind of guy. He famously walked away from guaranteed money in his contract when he retired as a player.

And what @Skills says is true as well. They've been champions of Europe with 7 different managers and can be succesful even without the continuity needed in other clubs. They don't have to overpay.

I'm still sceptical about Simeone's salary being the stated figure.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Simeone was in a unique situation. Atletico were basically at the make-or-break stage when they were trying to capitalize on their on-the-field success by cementing their status as a top club, which none of the previously successful Spanish clubs, excluding the big-2, had managed to do (look at Valencia, Deportivo, Sevilla etc.). They had just opened the new stadium and they were desperate to sell their season tickets — and Simeone's contract was close to its end. They didn't have an option of bringing in a comparable manager and they needed to show their intent, which they did, by keeping both Simeone and Griezmann, who was eyeing the move to Barcelona. Signing Felix for insane money was a similar power move, when they've realised that they're losing their second biggest star (the biggest one being Simeone).

Skills

Snitch
I remember reading they wanted Jose but he wouldn't take the job. They also couldn't get Pochettino out of his Tottenham contract.
Mourinho would turn down Real Madrid only to manage Tottenham?

The Pochettino thing was, that he was unwilling to push for a move (I'm guessing that would involve him sacrificing his own loyalty bonus/payout from Spurs). And Madrid themselves were not willing to go and negotiate with Spurs to buy him out - simply because Madrid are smart enough to realise, a manager is not an asset and its immensely stupid to buy one from another club. Especially when there's an abundance of them available

stu_1992

Woe that's an absolutely crazy salary by Simone. Don't see him rushing into another job anytime soon anyway if he's making that much more than the 2 coaches considered the absolute top. To be fair, he doesn't strike me as someone who'd move around too much anyway but still.

Siorac

Yeah, that can't be real. Though the Joao Felix transfer seemed unbelievable at first, too...

padr81

Supports
Man City
Its no coincidence that for the most part the top paid are big fish in small(ish) ponds. Simone, Pep and Mourinho are all bigger names than their respective clubs 100%. They have far more power than Ole at United or Zizou at Real. That said I think Pep would probably get that money at any club.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
He was reported as the highest paid manager in the past as well...
https://www.transfermarkt.us/simeon...sh-no-englishmen-in-the-list/view/news/333336

As @harms pointed out, Simeone was in a unique situation at Atlético when his contract was renegotiated because they wanted to establish themselves as the undoubted best organisation in La Liga after Madrid and Barcelona — others have tried in the past (like Valencia, Athletic Club, Sevilla, Villarreal), but none could hold on to the title over the long haul. First manager to win the La Liga with them since Antić in 1996, first manager to take them to the European Cup final since the '70s...and their greatest manager since Aragonés, if not the greatest ever. The club was in the doldrums for most of the 2000s after getting relegated, and he has played a big part in putting them back on the map with consistent Top 3 finishes and deep Champions League runs despite regularly losing important players like Costa, Falcao, Arda, Luís. Atlético's revenues have ballooned in that period, too — from ~€100 million in 2011 to ~€360 million in 2019, so Simeone has earned his keep...especially considering that in relative terms, he's more central to the organisation of Atlético than a carousel of head coaches at more robust and consistently well-off clubs.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Like players, if you want better performance then hire better coaches and pay them handsomely.

DVG7

@harms @Invictus

Is his situation so unique as to command that high of a salary? It’s astronomical, especially considering that despite throwing a spanner in the works to the Spanish duopoly, the project hasn’t yielded that many trophies, especially domestically.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
He was reported as the highest paid manager in the past as well...

https://www.transfermarkt.us/simeon...sh-no-englishmen-in-the-list/view/news/333336

As @harms pointed out, Simeone was in a unique situation at Atlético when his contract was renegotiated because they wanted to establish themselves as the undoubted best organisation in La Liga after Madrid and Barcelona — others have tried in the past (like Valencia, Athletic Club, Sevilla, Villarreal), but none could hold on to the title over the long haul. First manager to win the La Liga with them since Antić in 1996, first manager to take them to the European Cup final since the '70s...and their greatest manager since Aragonés, if not the greatest ever. The club was in the doldrums for most of the 2000s after getting relegated, and he has played a big part in putting them back on the map with consistent Top 3 finishes and deep Champions League runs despite regularly losing important players like Costa, Falcao, Arda, Luís. Atlético's revenues have ballooned in that period, too — from ~€100 million in 2011 to ~€360 million in 2019, so Simeone has earned his keep...especially considering that in relative terms, he's more central to the organisation of Atlético than a carousel of head coaches at more robust and consistently well-off clubs.
It's lovely how you accent all the names/teams :D

Paul_Scholes18

How on earth is Simeone earning that much? Totally insane. I was certain Pep would be top.
Didn't think Klopp earned that much given that I have heard we pay our guys more than Pool do overall.
How can Pool give him so much and let him abandon the team like he did.

How much do Conte and Ole earn? At least we do not pay insane money for Ole.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
How on earth is Simeone earning that much. Totally insane. I was certain Pep would be top.
Didn't think Klopp earned that much given that I have heard we pay our guys more than Pool do overall.
Don't worry, he is. ;)

Paul_Scholes18

Don't worry, he is. ;)
I heard De Bruyne and Martial earned similar wages before.
Shaw around the same amount too.
City do have insane money, but seem to be able to pay fairly low wages to the biggest stars.
Although I am 100% sure they have secret bonuses etc.

roonster09

Scout
City do have insane money, but seem to be able to pay fairly low wages to the biggest stars.
KdB earns more than 300K and that is reported amount. Who knows what more is exchanged in offshore accounts.

roonster09

Scout
How on earth is Simeone earning that much? Totally insane. I was certain Pep would be top.

How much do Conte and Ole earn? At least we do not pay insane money for Ole.
Conte earns 11 million post tax.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The premium City would have had to pay to get Pep there... it's probably for the best we don't know!

roonster09

Scout
The premium City would have had to pay to get Pep there... it's probably for the best we don't know!
DIdn't City and Pep's brother bought Girona? I mean for sure there is so much money that we won't hear about, especially with football leaks stopped.