Highest Priority Needs

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
About eight months ago, I made a thread about the biggest priority needs being ST, CM, RB and GK, in that order. I think most generally agreed.
Fast foward to the end of the season and my list has changed a little. I now think we need 7 players.

Two strikers: Martial and Weghorst need to be replaced by two good and dependable options. Ideally, an experienced striker and a young talented backup option.

Two CM/CDMs: Eriksen needs to relegated to a backup role and we need to get rid of Mctominay for a more suitable backup option for Casemiro.

One CB: Varane can't play three games a week, Lindelof has been impressive, and with Lisandro, that gives us 2.5 CBs. This assumes Maguire is sold of course.

Two GKs: This is simple really. We need two progressive goalkeepers. I personally don't see the point in keeping De Gea as a backup if he's not as progressive as the manager would like.

Of course we live in the real world. Especially if don't get Qatari ownership. With that in mind, I'll settle for 4 to 5 signings. ST, GK, 1CM, CB and CM2 In that order. Rational being, we can keep Martial and Rashford as backups for the ST position and De Gea GK backup.

If we can only get four, then I'll fast track Kobe Mainoo as Case's backup.

I believe in this manager and with the right signings, he can bring it home. Thoughts?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
CF and goalkeeper, CM 3rd. Depth for casemiro 4th. Making signings that don't address one of these 4 is just downright negligence.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
I would go with striker first, goalkeeper second and cm third in order of importance.

Von Mistelroum

Highest priorities = Striker, Goalkeeper, Midfielder to play alongside Bruno & Case. In that order.

Secondary priorities = CB, second Striker, second Midfielder to fully replace McFred, RB.

AlPistacho

Striker
Number 8 = Mason Mount is suitable, might be suitable alternatives in Europe for cheaper. Maybe Asensio from RM, similar, cheaper but not as good work rate
Young CB to be groomed to take over from Varane in 2-3 seasons, who is good enough to play when Varane is injured.

dal

We need a striker and 2 central midfield players at the minimum, we could go places with these additions alone, regardless of how city played we are not that far behind at all.

We get these and we can match them.

MrBest

Biggest priority has to be the full sale of this club

Cloud7

Agree with that although maybe 2 and 3 are around equal priority
At the start of the season I would have said 2 and 3 are equal (I didn't view Eriksen as more than a convenient stopgap because we didn't have the finances to sign two starting quality cm players) but as the season has gone by, DDG has become more and more problematic. In a sense, having a proper defense and defensive midfielder ahead of him, while it has contributed to more clean sheets overall, has highlighted his shortcomings even more.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
CF, GK, CM

Beg, steal or borrow if you have to. We need these 3 whatever happens.

There’s loads of money tied up in deadwood. Henderson, Bailly, Telles, Maguire, Elanga, McTominay, Tuanzebe, Greenwood, Williams, maybe even Van De Beek, Sancho or Martial. Shift a few of these and suddenly our budget allows for all 3. I can’t watch another season of De Gea, I’m sorry I just can’t.

Cathy Ferguson

1. Striker. Kane.
  2. CM to replace Eriksen. Mount.
  3. Versatile CM to cover for Casemiro and as no 8. Rabiot or Caicedo or Rice.
  4. Backup striker. Höjlund.
  5. Goalie. Raya?
  6. CB, Lindelöf and Shaw can cover. Consider a better LB than Malacia and play Shaw as CB.

Møllemanden

My thoughts going into the summer transfer window:

1. New deal for Rashford.
2. Sell/release De Gea, Maguire, Fred, Bailly, Donny, Elanga, Martial (In that order).
3. Sign two strikers.
4. Sign a new number 1.
5. Bring back our number 11. Yes, I know... Unpopular opinion. Would add great depth.
6. Add youth, speed and aggression to midfield.
7. New CB. Maybe a young player to take over from Varane - when the time comes.
8. Sign Brightons scouting department.

Follow those "easy" steps, and we will be improving next season.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Essential: A striker who can play most games and score goals. A midfielder who can pass, run, harass, technically capable and tactically sound. A modern GK who can play football.
Important: A backup to Casemiro. A tactically sound right back. 3rd choice centre back.
Would be smart: A young striker on an upwards trajectory.

With Rice I feel two positions would be addressed in that he can cover for Casemiro (though he'd likely partner him in most games) and he can cover for Varane.

Dominos

Striker, midfielder and goalkeeper are a must. We cannot afford to prioritise 1 or 2 of those and miss out on the other(s). Those 3 positions are essential.

tombombadil

We have very limited funds and financial fair play. Unlike certain other clubs.

1) A striker to challenge Martial. If Martial is sold, then maybe a second striker. Need to see the Mason Greenwood situation as well.
2) A central midfielder to challenge and likely replace Eriksen
3) A goalkeeper to challenge DDG
4) A centerback if Maguire is successfully sold

Just the first two is likely going to push above 100 million. Blowing the known budget. This is how difficult our current situation is. So getting the first 3 with the expectation some players are sold is hard enough. Getting 4 would be considered a smashing success.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
If we have to pick:

- Osinhem + Caicedo, or
- Osinhem + D. Costa

I know which one I'd pick. Priority seems off to some.

CloneMC16

ST
GK
CM

The team needs these as starters. We cannot go into next season without buying these at the bare minimum.

After those three, I would look for a #6 that could potentially play as a #8 as well. Casemiro's understudy/replacement. Another CB to compete with/take Varane's spot. A backup ST to give us another option.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
No point playing this game if we don't know the budget or if we have a low budget.

One thing is for certain, we will spend big for a striker. Everything else will be affected by how much money is left. I doubt we will spend as much as last summer so two things that are interesting is 1) sell out and 2) smart business that can be done for low fees (eg. something like Malacia but for CB).

ifightdragons

I'd get rid of players like Bruno, Rashford and Sancho, because they are worth a lot, and would never be good enough for a team like City. De Gea also must go. And of course, get rid of anyone else everyone already knows isn't good enough.

Then move away from a transitional system, and adopt a possession based system like Pep's. In every transfer window, only bring in players who are better ball handlers, press resistant and tactically astute.

Sounds drastic, but it's the only approach that will not make us play eternal catch-up to modern football with the likes of Pep.

Alfie092

If we are limited to 5 signings then IMO:

1. Striker - who is good at linking play and can get you at least 25-30 goals in all competitions. Oh and can be available at least 85% of the season!
2. Midfielder - who can progress the ball and can control the tempo of play. Ideally someone who can play as a 6 alongside Casemiro and play as an 8.
3. Goalkeeper - who is more comfortable at building out from the back and more commanding in his box. Of course, the shot-stopping ability still needs to be there!
4. Centre-back - who is good enough so when we rest Varane, the drop-off in quality isn't as huge and is good enough to eventually replace Varane in the team for the next 4-5 years.
5. Midfielder 2 - who can fill in as the lone 6 when Casemiro isn't available through his inevitable suspensions. Ideally young enough to be the long-term successor to Casemiro.

IF we somehow do bring in the 5 right signings for the above positions then I strongly do believe we can compete for the Premier League and Champions League. This is also dependent on how our existing players continue to develop. Say Rashford has an off-season like he did in 2021/2022 and Sancho/Antony continue to be average at best. Say Martinez cannot replicate the same form as he did when fit this season? Then we could continue to have problems as there will be gaps in other areas of the field.

If Sheikh Jassim (fingers crossed), does come in and we are able to get 7 signings like you said we need, then I would go for another striker who offers a different type of skillset to our existing ones and then potentially go for either another RB or a 2nd choice goalkeeper.

slored1

1. Striker
2. Goalkeeper
3. CM

All three are desperate needs and we should get all three this summer.

After that it is:
4. Backup CDM
5. Backup CB
6. Winger

glasgow 21

I'd get rid of players like Bruno, Rashford and Sancho, because they are worth a lot, and would never be good enough for a team like City. De Gea also must go. And of course, get rid of anyone else everyone already knows isn't good enough.

Then move away from a transitional system, and adopt a possession based system like Pep's. In every transfer window, only bring in players who are better ball handlers, press resistant and tactically astute.

Sounds drastic, but it's the only approach that will not make us play eternal catch-up to modern football with the likes of Pep.
Whilst I like your sentiments you keep referring to Pep ,why? We simply at this moment have to strive to be anything like the team we once were. Players need consequences never winning an aerial battles and that wasn't just Saturday, it's in every game. We have all these analysts what are they doing. If you can't win midfield aerial battles not a bit a wonder our corners are a waste of time. You are correct Sancho needs to door he looks like he is playing with PTSD the 365k idiotic wage has us hamstring like every other player we want rid off. Bruno and Rashford have to be kept and 12 months with a proper NO.9 as a focal point.

luke511

Joint 1. Kane or Hojlund
Joint 1. Caicedo or Rice
Joint 1. Costa or Raya

All as important as each other.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
1. Striker (Kane preferably but I don't see it happening, hopefully we have a good plan B)
2. GK (Costa, keep DDG for another year as back-up)
3. CM (Looks like Mount will be coming in, would have preferred a deep lying playmaker but ETH seems to want 2 attacking 8s)
4. CB (Kim should brought in, especially that Maguire seems to be on the way out and Varane needs to be managed)
5. DM (Rabiot can play there and can play next to Casemiro if not him then a young DM like Lavia from Southampton)

I have no idea if we have the budget for all of that, we would have to sell well but these are the minimum requirements if we are to be nearer the top next season and have a good CL run.

GK: Costa, DDG, Heaton
RB: AWB, Dalot
LB: Shaw, Malacia
CB: Lisandro, Varane, Kim, VNL
CM: Casemiro, Rabiot/Lavia, Mount, Bruno, Eriksen
Wide Forwards: Sancho, Garnacho, Rashford, Antony and Amad
ST: New ST and looks like Greenwood will be back

ifightdragons

Whilst I like your sentiments you keep referring to Pep ,why? We simply at this moment have to strive to be anything like the team we once were. Players need consequences never winning an aerial battles and that wasn't just Saturday, it's in every game. We have all these analysts what are they doing. If you can't win midfield aerial battles not a bit a wonder our corners are a waste of time. You are correct Sancho needs to door he looks like he is playing with PTSD the 365k idiotic wage has us hamstring like every other player we want rid off. Bruno and Rashford have to be kept and 12 months with a proper NO.9 as a focal point.
I understand your sentiment, but I wholeheartedly disagree about reverting bsck the so-called "United Way".

We used to be a counter-attacking team under SAF, and while that worked great 15 years ago, the game has evolved so much since then.

To compete with the best teams, you need to dominate possession and control the tempo of games. We can't consistently do that by playing constantly on the break and transitioning.

I do really agree on your argument about the physical side! We need to kill our opponents in duels.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Striker
Number 8 = Mason Mount is suitable, might be suitable alternatives in Europe for cheaper. Maybe Asensio from RM, similar, cheaper but not as good work rate
Young CB to be groomed to take over from Varane in 2-3 seasons, who is good enough to play when Varane is injured.
Asensio is off to PSG I think.

croadyman

I just don't see any way those first two are going to be leaving this club

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
In addition to Mount which appears to be done

I'd prioritise in this order

First choice Centre Forward
Cover for Centre Back
First choice keeper
Back up/rotation option for Centre forward
Second choice keeper

ifightdragons

I just don't see any way those first two are going to be leaving this club
Me neither. They will likely stay for years.
I just don't think it will help us evolve our playing style. They are more suited to counter-attack, in my opinion.

AlPistacho

Asensio is off to PSG I think.
Just seen on Romano Twitter. But he’s similar to Mount, without the graft side, so might give people an idea of what we’ll be getting. I think Mount is overall the better player by quite a by distance.

Todd

We cannot being a new season without an elite goal scorer, that is priority one. Kane, Osimhen, or Lautaro Martinez.

Priority two has to be a player that can partner Casemiro. Rice or Caicedo are the obvious choices.

Priority three is a modern GK. I don't care who, just someone who is comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Once these needs are filled we could look at things like a backup CB and some young backups in the striker and CDM positions.

And yet the first player we're heavily linked with is a player who addresses none of the problems with the current squad.

croadyman

We cannot being a new season without an elite goal scorer, that is priority one. Kane, Osimhen, or Lautaro Martinez.

Priority two has to be a player that can partner Casemiro. Rice or Caicedo are the obvious choices.

Priority three is a modern GK. I don't care who, just someone who is comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Once these needs are filled we could look at things like a backup CB and some young backups in the striker and CDM positions.

And yet the first player we're heavily linked with is a player who addresses none of the problems with the current squad.
Martinez & Hojlund IF Kane isn't happening

lex talionis

I'd say two strikers and two midfielders...unless!

Unless there is any reason to believe Martial has anything left in the tank. I see no reason to hold such a belief, but if Tony can get over the hump on his physical and mental health issues, then just one striker. This is an internet forum so there's no harm in holding out hope for Kane, but it has to be Kane. We're rolling the dice if bring in Osimhen or Martinez. Kane is a sure thing.

But two midfielders for sure. Mount and Rice.

Not to pick on you personally (mods, please admonish me nicely if I've crossed the line) but I'd like to pick apart this sentence:

The priority three part is fine with me, up to a point. But we really do have to "care who," as keepers actually do a lot more than play the ball with their feet. A United keeper has to be excellent shot stopper as well, and for some of us old school types shot stopping is a vastly higher priority than playing the ball. If you take even a casual look at team statistics this season we conceded the exact same number of goals as Arsenal, who came in second, but we scored 30 fewer goals than Arsenal. But sticking with the goals conceded number -- 43 -- City conceded 33 goals and City has a keeper who every one of us rightly argues is a better keeper, but not a better shot stopper. Would we argue that City conceded fewer goals precisely because their keeper is better with his feet or because they have a superior back line and superior midfield? It's clear as day that City conceded fewer goals because their 10 outfield players are, man for man, simply better than United and I can't even think of a single exception. Opponents know they are done once they take the pitch, so they sit back and hope to contain damage. No one ever comes out and has a go at City and scores for fun the way City and Liverpool scored for fun on their home grounds. City's midfield overruns every opponent's midfield and on the few occasions when City are under the cosh they have an outstanding back line to deal with the pressure. Ederson rarely ever has to worry about a high press to break and rarely ever is called upon to make great saves. Alission and Ederson are outstanding modern keepers, but I guarantee you that if you plugged either of them into United they would have conceded roughly the same 43 goals De Gea conceded and that we would still have scored 30 fewer goals than City and 17 fewer goals than Liverpool. What's needed above all else is a strong midfield to control possession and strikers who are able to convert on their chances. In so doing, we put less pressure on our back line, opponents will sit back and rather than lick their chops with a press and it won't really matter whether we have De Gea or Raya in goal. If there is the next Alission out there ready to take the pitch for United, such as Costa, let's do it, but let's not spend the 75m it would take to bring in Costa if doing so jeopardizes our ability to bring in a striker of the quality of Kane and a midfielder of the quality of Rice.

glasgow 21

I understand your sentiment, but I wholeheartedly disagree about reverting bsck the so-called "United Way".

We used to be a counter-attacking team under SAF, and while that worked great 15 years ago, the game has evolved so much since then.

To compete with the best teams, you need to dominate possession and control the tempo of games. We can't consistently do that by playing constantly on the break and transitioning.

I do really agree on your argument about the physical side! We need to kill our opponents in duels.
Sorry I didn't mean reverting to the way we use play I am simply talking about quality of player and desire to play for the shirt. We even have folk here saying Kane ( who we are not getting) style wouldn't work for United due to the way Spurs play. Alert!, we aint playing the nonsense Spurs are and neither will Spurs next year. Whatever the style we need to win the individual battles. Too many times in matches this year we failed to win the 50.50 whether it's in the air or on the ground. This comes down to desire and tenacity some of which we are lacking. I do trust Ten Hag to get us ballers though. It is whether those clown up stairs can pull the transfers in and out needed without it becoming episodes from coronation street. We can then get down to dominating midfield.

ifightdragons

Sorry I didn't mean reverting to the way we use play I am simply talking about quality of player and desire to play for the shirt. We even have folk here saying Kane ( who we are not getting) style wouldn't work for United due to the way Spurs play. Alert!, we aint playing the nonsense Spurs are and neither will Spurs next year. Whatever the style we need to win the individual battles. Too many times in matches this year we failed to win the 50.50 whether it's in the air or on the ground. This comes down to desire and tenacity some of which we are lacking. I do trust Ten Hag to get us ballers though. It is whether those clown up stairs can pull the transfers in and out needed without it becoming episodes from coronation street. We can then get down to dominating midfield.
We misunderstood each other, sorry about that! Well put, couldn't agree more. Had me laughing at the Coronation Str. bit.

We need more rottweilers like Martinez who will put everything in every duel.

Those who think Kane wouldn't fit United... He would fit every team. He is just a beast of a modern, technical and tactical player. No nonsense world class player. Real shame we won't get him.

waza7111

It's essential that a new starting goalkeeper and striker are signed even if no other signings are made.

There will be little to no improvement without those 2 signings.

Then comes 2 midfielders - one more attacking and another more defensive type.

Finally a centre back to replace Maguire who will probably leave.