CM
1. Mount - 50m
2. Rabiot - free

CB
1. Kim Min Hae - 45m

Tarrou

GK, then midfielder, then striker

With striker at least we have Rashford

DDG just can’t play the football our manager wants so he’s most essential for me

In midfield Eriksen is okay but needs upgrading and McT and Fred can be okay not good enough to be starters

justsomebloke

Striker, then defensive midfield backup, then a first XI #8, then a GK. A backup GK is also a necessity, but that can, if not ideally, be solved temporarily through a loan. If Maguire leaves, also a CB, ideally someone who can also play RB. But it's hard to see that as a big priority given we have a first-rate top pairing, and how well Lindelof has been doing as the main backup. Still, the club seems to feel otherwise, given all the attention in the direction of Napoli.

Tango80

Striker, midfielder who's not 30, then keeper.

We don't score enough goals literally every game now. Impossible to say strikers not the main priority.

Midfielder needs addressing as Eriksen struggles past 60 mins (and against teams with energy) and practically everyone in midfield is over 30.

We're a side that kept the most clean sheets in the league but miss a ton of chances. It's not difficult to see where we need upgrades first.

SteveCoppellFan

I think we need 5 players.

Goalkeeper - Costa or Raya

Defender - Kim Min - Jae

Midfielders - Mount and Caicedo

Forward - Kane or Hojlund

That would be a very good transfer window :)

Andersons Dietician

I don’t think spending 70 mil on a GK who looks moderately better at passing is that big of a priority. Especially when that player isn’t that highly regarded within portugal. Raya probably makes more sense and is cheaper if we really need that GK but again I think there are other bigger priorities than that.

1. Striker
  2. 2 x CM
  3. CB
  4. Clear out Maguire, Bailly,Telles Tuanzebe
  5. GK

AndyMUFC86

Who do you have in mind for 2nd striker
in a perfect world Kane as the main forward and then hojlund to work underneath him. The only way I’d say don’t get a second forward is if Mason comes back in.

We need an rvn

I think we need an out and out goalscorer. @We need an rvn
100% first on my list.

problem for me is I just can’t see a Ruud / Robin out there at the right age with proven ability.

If money is no object, kane is the obvious one. But we don’t have an endless pit of money and in another thread I’ve been posting the club needs to stop looking at stop-gaps for 1 or 2 years and buying 30-odd year old players. We can’t be spending 100m on the same position every few years. So I’m almost anti-Kane as I’d love the club to build for the future better. In the sense Casemiro will need replacing in one or two years already

hojlund I think is a great prospect, as is ferguson, but both unproven.
I haven’t seen enough of the other strikers mentioned to give a fair assessment whether they could lead the line and walk into the starting xi

The Oracle

Highest scoring wins of the season =
4-2 v Aston Villa
4-1 v Real Betis
4-1 v Chelsea

Highest scoring defeats of the season =
7-0 v Liverpool
6-3 v City
4-0 v Brentford

It’s clear as day what the number one priority is that we need to address, and that is the defence, and part of the defence is the goalkeeper.

Potential goalkeeper options:
  • Diogo Costa: currently plays in an inferior league, and at the reported £70m for his services would use up a massive amount of our summer transfer budget
  • David Raya: Premier League proven, and would cost between £35m-£40m, therefore freeing up an extra £30m-£35m (compared to signing Costa) towards a midfielder and a striker.

I am fully aware that we do need a midfielder (preference is Rice) and a striker (preference is Kane), but they are not as much as a priority as a goalkeeper who is capable of playing out from the back in the way that Ten Hag wants.

Therefore, securing the services of David Raya should be our number one priority this summer.

Paddymcc

We desperately need a striker and goal keeper than can pass the ball.

The amount of times De Gea just kicked it to City players on Saturday was criminal. We can all make mistakes but the fact he didnt have the brains or balls to adjust his play shows what an abolute wet lettuce of a man he is.

RiqCantona

Definitely need, irrespective of whom we sell:
1 x Top Striker
1 x CM (no.8)
1 x GK
1x CB

If we manage to sell Martial, then we need another backup ST.
If we sell 2 among McT or Fred or Vdb, we need another CM/DM.
The CB is dependant on Maguire moving out, which seems very likely.

That makes it 6 players. But its more likely we'll sign 4. 6 is far-fetched and could only happen if we get a free transfer for someone (E.g. Rabiot).

Giggsy13

Who would be your proven one when Kane gets lured by Madrid which looks to be happening
Osimhen or Lautaro Martinez to name a few. I find it odd that a club of our stature has failed to find a long term answer at striker. A few things out of our control re: Mason Greenwood or Lukaku not fitting with Ole, but just complete failure on this front. I like Hojlund as a long term prospect but we need someone to come in with a proven track record. Osimhen and Martinez fit that profile, if Kane isn’t available.

Craig Ward

Highest priority

GK - Essential. Hendo's off and DDG is not capable to be a ball playing GK

ST - Top level CF changes the game across our front 3. Martials "decent" at best

CM - Fred/McTominey aren't good enough. Eriksen needs measured game time. Donny is returning from a long injury/struggled with form. Sabitzer is returning to Bayern. There's scope for 2 players in Central midfield depending on who leaves

CB - Maguire is off. Varanes a bit injury prone.

DM - Need some options other than Casemiro

dutchred

Minimally
New Goalkeeper Bart Verbruggen
Cover for Casemiro Romeo Lavia
Eriksen replacement Gabri Viega or Rabiot
Centre Forward Rasmus Hojlund

They are not the best available but we need to look at FFP and availabilty of funds

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
For me personally it would be

GK who excels at distribution
Midfield playmaker
Centre forward

as the big three. But given our biggest links are with Mount and KMJ maybe our management has other ideas.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
4-2 v Aston Villa
4-1 v Real Betis
4-1 v Chelsea

7-0 v Liverpool
6-3 v City
4-0 v Brentford

It’s clear as day what the number one priority is that we need to address, and that is the defence, and part of the defence is the goalkeeper.

• Diogo Costa: currently plays in an inferior league, and at the reported £70m for his services would use up a massive amount of our summer transfer budget
  • David Raya: Premier League proven, and would cost between £35m-£40m, therefore freeing up an extra £30m-£35m (compared to signing Costa) towards a midfielder and a striker.

I am fully aware that we do need a midfielder (preference is Rice) and a striker (preference is Kane), but they are not as much as a priority as a goalkeeper who is capable of playing out from the back in the way that Ten Hag wants.

Therefore, securing the services of David Raya should be our number one priority this summer.
That’s a very odd way of analysing things. Do the rest of the games count for less or something? We have the joint 3rd best defence in the league this season and the join 7th best attack in the league this season. Goals scored a pathetic 58 to a goals against a respectable 43. Our defence is a much much MUCH smaller problem than our attack barring the games against the very best teams or the odd away game where we lose our heads.

In fact the only thing selectively picking up a top 3 results like that proves is that our leaving those aside the gap in our defence and our attack is even bigger.

And barring the Ole and Jose meltdown seasons , this has been a consistent theme in the post SAF years. Defence has done decently at times but the attack (and usually midfield) is consistently mid table.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
That’s a very odd way of analysing things. Do the rest of the games count for less or something? We have the joint 3rd best defence in the league this season and the join 7th best attack in the league this season. Goals scored a pathetic 58 to a goals against a respectable 43. Our defence is a much much MUCH smaller problem than our attack barring the games against the very best teams or the odd away game where we lose our heads.

In fact the only thing selectively picking up a top 3 results like that proves is that our leaving those aside the gap in our defence and our attack is even bigger.

And barring the Ole and Jose meltdown seasons , this has been a consistent theme in the post SAF years. Defence has done decently at times but the attack (and usually midfield) is consistently mid table.
Yes, that's the opposite of what conventional analytics suggests. If anything, you want to take out the outliers and look at the rest of the results. If scoring 4 is an outlier then the problem is clear as day, we don't score enough goals.
I think bringing in a better centre forwards will help significantly but another thing is coaching. I think Bruno, Rashford and Antony take far too many low xG shots. We also need to get better at circulating the ball in the final third so these players have better options than speculative efforts.

The Oracle

You make valid points to be fair.

The main point I was trying to convey is that having a goalkeeper who can recycle possession would go a long way in helping the current team have more control in games, which in turn would create more chances, and thus more goals scored (based on the law of averages).

Not to mention a new goalkeeper who sweeps, collects crosses, and is proactive would also be advantageous to us for the same reasons mentioned above.

Bringing in David Raya for circa £40m for a Premier League proven keeper (and more importantly he suits the style of play that Ten Hag wants) would be a step in the right direction, and would NOT be a massive chunk out of our Summer transfer budget.

Of course I acknowledge that we need a number 9 and a midfielder, but let's just pause for a moment and address the elephant in the room that is David De Gea. Here are the facts:
- He is currently the highest paid goalkeeper in World football
- Any contract renewal above £150,000 per week would make him the highest paid goalkeeper in the Premier League
- He has terrible distribution, which is the opposite of what our manager wants in a goalkeeper

Put it this way, look at our hidings over the years since SAF retired, and the one consistent is the goalkeeper.
You have mentioned 'Losing our heads'
I put it to you that David De Gea loses his head when the pressure is on, and turns into 'Dithering Dave' (never mind his big game blunders over recent years, cast your mind back to the PSG away game when we scored a very very late penalty, and watch how nervous De Gea was between us taking a 3-1 lead right up until the final whistle - he spreads nervousness throughout the team, he always has done and always will do).

I have a lot of patience for United players, but the one thing I have zero patience for is a player who lacks bravery; and David De Gea is the epitome of that.

Change the goalkeeper and prepare to be amazed when we see our new number one claiming crosses... and everything else that are the absolute basics of a goalkeeper.

Sentimentality at our club has gone on for far too long with him. Spain recognised years ago (post his disastrous 2018 World Cup showing) that De Gea was no longer the answer.

So why does he continue to be the answer for us?
Current De Gea of the last 5 years, would NEVER be on our radar now in our search for a new goalkeeper if he didn't play for us. I am not the only one who knows that as fact.

samlee86

We need a player in every position. Goalkeeper, Defender, Midfielder and Striker.

After the FA Cup final De Gea can’t play for us anymore. It would be like Karius playing for Liverpool after his howlers in the Champions League final.

His contract is up and his wage demands are outrageous for a keeper of his skill set. We would save a lot of money by signing anyone else. Renewing him would put a huge dent on our budget. Any average keeper would be an upgrade of Dave. The guy cant even get into the Spain squad. I doubt he’s even 5th choice keeper for his country at the moment but he’s supposed to be United’s number one.:houllier:

Give it a rest guys. Some of you on here are defending the indefensible. The guy hasn’t been good enough for half a decade now.

He should sign the Saudi’s contract and see out the remainder of his career with a big fat payday. Jorge Mendes need to tell him some hard truths for his own sake, because another season for the blooper reel and the Saudi money won’t be on the table next summer.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
1 - First choice Striker

=2 - First choice Goalkeeper
=2 - First choice #8

4 - Backup DM (unless the first choice #8 can also play this role)

Those are the four roles we absolutely need filled and will cause huge issues going forward if they aren't. There are other positions that I'd like to see signed as well but I don't consider them as season-defining.

Kopral Jono

If we’re only allowed to sign a single player this summer, that player is ideally a world class centre forward and by that I mean the England captain. Another year of De Gea, Maguire and McFred -- so be it.

newgiz

I would just like to reiterate how important it is that our top 2 priorities this season should be ST and GK.

After watching the UCL final and the performances of Ederson and Onana has me even more depressed.

Everytime I watch a keeper coming to claim the ball or distribute the ball under pressure its agonising to watch just thinking about who we have instead.

UDontMessWith24

4-2 v Aston Villa
4-1 v Real Betis
4-1 v Chelsea

7-0 v Liverpool
6-3 v City
4-0 v Brentford

We conceded just under 40% of our goals in 3 out of 38 of our league games. That’s the very definition of an outlier.

croadyman

1 - First choice Striker

=2 - First choice #8

Those are the four roles we absolutely need filled and will cause huge issues going forward if they aren't. There are other positions that I'd like to see signed as well but I don't consider them as season-defining.
Totally agree with this order

Sylar

1 - First choice Striker

=2 - First choice #8

Totally agree with this order
In agreement also. I think those three are a must and puts us into a competing level for the league next season (even if not winning)

Mwooyo

The highest priority need for us is to get the Glazers out. I can accept Mancity winning the treble, hell even the quadruple if it meant that we got owners who love the club, will clear the debt, and will invest massively into it. Owners who show up for games more than once in 6 years or whatever. Why? bcoz, I know that we can easily surpass anything Mancity or Madrid or Barca do if we are properly backed. Most fans do not realize that the club has been fighting with 2 arms tied behind the back...and we have been competing...imagine what we can be if the shackles are released.

Onerealunited

Forward and midfield!

If Kane is not a possibility, we should consider spending the GBP 100m on 3 young prospects so 1) they can support each other 2) remove pressure from one specific player 3) invest in future 4) loan the least ready player out in december. With the money we cannot but Harry Kane for it should be doable to get Højlund, Kudus and Gift. With these 3 prospects, you'd have coverage for CF, RW, LW and AM (between them). Also, if we can get the likes of Kudus and Gift for about 20-30m then it would also be a good investment prospect if they don't make it here (like James)

NoLogo

I think it is important that we improve the quality of our midfield for next season. We can do this by either buying a FB who can play in a holding midfield role or a quality DM to partner Cas. The biggest task and priority in my opinion will be to find a 20+ goal striker for next season.

The three defenders that can play out from the back I think are pretty decent now, Shaw can slot into the defensive setup at the back and AWB can as well, when all are fit I think Martinez - Varane - Lindelöf should be the starters but AWB and Shaw offer good options there as well. Shaw and Martinez I would even think could partner Cas as a shield in midfield if we need to be very solid defensively. Having someone who is excellent on the ball like Barella, de Jong or Kovacic would probably also help us, basically someone like Eriksen who is a bit more stable defensively. Finding one or two quality DMs is imo the second priority we have in this team.

The two players that form the attacking part of the midfield box could be Bruno, Sancho and Eriksen. I think they're all good options and it's not a high priority area.

The next area we need to look at is wide options, which I think we are actually quite good at, although we lack a real alternative to Antony, who I think will improve next season. On the left we have Rashford and Garnacho, and Sancho can also play there, so I think that should be enough.

That leaves our man up top, which I think is our main problem, Martial can't stay fit and we don't have a real alternative apart from Rashford, who seems much better on the right at the moment. We have a lot of candidates that seem to be floating around, but the most promising targets are also being chased by the other big teams in Europe. Nevertheless, I feel that if we don't solve this position, we won't make any progress overall, the transfer we make in this position will either make or break our season imo.

croadyman

I think it is important that we improve the quality of our midfield for next season. We can do this by either buying a FB who can play in a holding midfield role or a quality DM to partner Cas. The biggest task and priority in my opinion will be to find a 20+ goal striker for next season.

The three defenders that can play out from the back I think are pretty decent now, Shaw can slot into the defensive setup at the back and AWB can as well, when all are fit I think Martinez - Varane - Lindelöf should be the starters but AWB and Shaw offer good options there as well. Shaw and Martinez I would even think could partner Cas as a shield in midfield if we need to be very solid defensively. Having someone who is excellent on the ball like Barella, de Jong or Kovacic would probably also help us, basically someone like Eriksen who is a bit more stable defensively. Finding one or two quality DMs is imo the second priority we have in this team.

The two players that form the attacking part of the midfield box could be Bruno, Sancho and Eriksen. I think they're all good options and it's not a high priority area.

The next area we need to look at is wide options, which I think we are actually quite good at, although we lack a real alternative to Antony, who I think will improve next season. On the left we have Rashford and Garnacho, and Sancho can also play there, so I think that should be enough.

That leaves our man up top, which I think is our main problem, Martial can't stay fit and we don't have a real alternative apart from Rashford, who seems much better on the right at the moment. We have a lot of candidates that seem to be floating around, but the most promising targets are also being chased by the other big teams in Europe. Nevertheless, I feel that if we don't solve this position, we won't make any progress overall, the transfer we make in this position will either make or break our season imo.
Think Barella is the only one left on that list who we could actually sign. Kovacic is going to join City and De Jong just won't leave

croadyman

Forward and midfield!

If Kane is not a possibility, we should consider spending the GBP 100m on 3 young prospects so 1) they can support each other 2) remove pressure from one specific player 3) invest in future 4) loan the least ready player out in december. With the money we cannot but Harry Kane for it should be doable to get Højlund, Kudus and Gift. With these 3 prospects, you'd have coverage for CF, RW, LW and AM (between them). Also, if we can get the likes of Kudus and Gift for about 20-30m then it would also be a good investment prospect if they don't make it here (like James)
Number 1 and 2 is such a key thing,ideally under Qatari ownership would like Hojlund and Kolo-Muani if we can't get Kane

NoLogo

Think Barella is the only one left on that list who we could actually sign. Kovacic is going to join City and De Jong just won't leave
Jep, seems to be. The question is just if he is one of those Italians who will never leave their country, which seems to be the majority of their players. I mean I can even understand it, Italy is an amazingly beautiful country and the lifestyle is great and the food isn't bad either.

croadyman

Jep, seems to be. The question is just if he is one of those Italians who will never leave their country, which seems to be the majority of their players. I mean I can even understand it, Italy is an amazingly beautiful country and the lifestyle is great and the food isn't bad either.
Has been linked to scousers before

032Devil

In time, I'd liked to see four strikers at United (as with Fergie). Definitely keep Rashford, buy one top striker and another young potential and if possible buy a mature striker like Ibrahimović and Sheringham.

I don't know about the Mason Greenwood situation but he could/might be the young potential?

Lentwood

This is a perfect example of the point I have made over and over about financial doping and breaking FFP rules vs having money BUT having to adhere to rules/budgets.

The fact is, there is no one priority position. For this team to function properly, we need a CF who can press and score goals...but we'd be light with just one senior CF, so we really need two.

However...its really no good for ETHs preferred system if we have pressing forwards but only one pressing '8', so we also really need Mount (or similar) for the forward line to work effectively defensively and as an attacking unit. We also need cover for Casemiro, who isn't getting any younger and is prone to a suspension.

BUT....its equally important that we can progress the ball through the midfield, and that starts from the back...so a goalkeeper is also essential, as is a RB really, as well as AWB has done.

Whilst we're at it, we also need a CB for cover, since Varane is increasingly fragile.

So...if you're not constrained by budgets/rules....you do everything at once and realise the GIGANTIC benefits of doing that i.e. players who fit the right profile, players at the right age, players who can play the managers style. After two or three big Summer windows, you buy the luxury of time and forward-planning, and can add one or two players at a time.

The bottom line is, we need 2 x CFs, 1 x '8', 1 x CM, 1 x CB, 1 x RB, 2 x GK - as a minimum. All are arguably equally important since lack of goals, lack of cover at CB, lack of midfield options, a poor goalkeeper and no real attacking threat from RB all cost us significantly last season.

Having said all that...if I had to pick one position, and one position only to address it would be GK, purely because for my own sanity I cannot watch another season of DDG

AndyMUFC86

I get what some of you are saying about needing to get a new keeper first, I dont agree but hey.
But Pickford is not the solution to the DDG problem, for me he is a massive down grade.
Pickford is the worst gk in the league at playing out from the back. I refuse to believe that we’re interested in him and if we are I refuse to believe he’s ETH’s choice.