History of Brazil at the World Cup

Polaroid

The Brazilian national team is the most successful in world football, having played at every edition of the World Cup and winning it a record 5 times in 4 different continents - Europe (1958 Sweden), South America (1962 Chile), North America (1970 Mexico and 1994 USA) and Asia (2002 South Korea-Japan).

In the first two World Cups (1930 and 1934), Brazil did not make an impression, going out in the first stage. 1938 saw the beginning of Brazil's ascendancy into prominence as Brazil finished third with Leonidas da Silva as the tournament's top scorer. After the World Cup was interrupted for a period of 12 years due to the World War, Brazil hosted the tournament in 1950 and narrowly lost out on the world crown to Uruguay after losing a match they only needed to draw. Come the 1954 World Cup in Switzerland, the Brazilian team containing the likes of Nílton Santos, Djalma Santos, and Didi lost out to pre-tournament favourites Hungary in an infamous quarter-final match known as the Battle of Berne. Brazil was not to be deterred for long though. 4 years later in Sweden, Brazil defeated the host 5-2 in the final as a teenage Pele announced himself on the world stage.

1958 World Cup Final

1962 saw the return of the World Cup to South American shores, this time in Chile as Brazil sought to become the first team to successfully defend their world crown. They suffered an early setback when Pele was injured in the only the second group match. However, the depth of talent in the Brazilian side was too deep and strong to be derailed by the loss of one marquee player. With Garrincha playing a starring role, Brazil clinched their second World Cup with a 3-1 victory over Czechoslovakia in the final.

1962 World Cup Final

After the successes of 58 and 62, Brazil had a lot to live up to in 66 with everyone at home and abroad looking to get a piece of them. However, their campaign was marred by less than ideal preparations due to federation and club politics as well as cynical tackling from opponents. Brazil won one and lost two of three matches, causing them to be eliminated in the first stage, their worst result at the World Cup since 1934.

Brazil vs Portugal 1966

The best was saved for the last - in what turned out to be Pele's last World Cup, he spearheaded what is regarded by many as the greatest team to play the game of football to triumph in Mexico 1970. With legendary luminaries such as Tostao, Rivelino, Jairzinho, Carlos Alberto and Gerson, Brazil won all six of their games in beautiful, free-flowing fashion, including a 4-1 demolition of Italy in the final. Pele became the first and only 3-times winner of the World Cup while coach Mario Zagallo became the first man to win the World Cup as player and coach. For winning the World Cup the third time, Brazil was granted the right to retain the Jules Rimet trophy permanently.

Brazil 1970

1974 saw the emergence of a new footballing power - the Dutch and their revolutionary brand of Total Football. Brazil lost out on a place in the final after falling 2-0 to the Dutch and ultimately finished 4th.

Brazil vs Netherlands 1974

The World Cup of 1978 was hosted by their neighbour, Argentina. The two rivals played out a goalless draw in the second group stage and there was plenty of controversy when Argentina beat Peru 6-0 to progress to the final on goal difference at Brazil's expense. Brazil then beat Italy to finish 3rd.

Brazil vs Argentina 1978

To be continued...

Polaroid

Brazil's 1982 team of Zico, Socrates and Falcao will always be remembered as one of the best teams not to win the World Cup. Playing a stylish, fluid brand of beautiful football, Brazil enchanted watching football fans but was eliminated by eventual champion Italy 2-3 in a classic quarter-final with an inspired Paolo Rossi scoring a hat-trick.

1986 saw further heartbreak for Brazil as they went out to France on penalties in the quarter-final. It was a golden generation that failed to fulfill its promise.

Italia 1990 was not a very entertaining World Cup all round and Brazil, playing conservatively with little of their traditional flair, did nothing to dispel that. They were knocked out in the round of 16 by the defending champion, Maradona's Argentina.

USA 1994 was memorable for many reasons but above all, it will be remembered as the homecoming of a trophy that had been away for 24 years. Featuring the likes of Romario, Bebeto, Dunga, Mauro Silva and Taffarel, Brazil overcame Italy on penalties, winning the World Cup for a record 4th time.

Brazil with the world's best player in Ronaldo was the pre-tournament favourite at France 98 and they justified that tag by progressing all the way to the final. Mysterious seizures before the game called into question Ronaldo's participation in the final but he eventually played a quiet game as Brazil bowed out 3-0 to France with Zinedine Zidane scoring 2 headed goals from corners.

Redemption was to come 4 years later at South Korea-Japan 2002 as the attacking trident of Ronaldo-Rivaldo-Ronadinho propelled Brazil to the final where Ronaldo applied the finishing flourish to his fairytale comeback by scoring 2 goals against Germany, winning the Golden Boot and Brazil's 5th World Cup.

94 World Cup winning manager Carlos Alberto Parreira returned for Germany 2006 and Brazil was one of the pre-tournament favourites with their wealth of attacking superstars- the likes of Ronaldo, Adriano, Ronadinho and Kaka. However, they were once again eliminated by France in the quarter-finals following a vintage display from a rejuvenated Zidane and abysmal defending from Roberto Carlos that allowed Henry to run in unmarked and score the winning goal.

South Africa 2010 again ended in disappointment for Brazil as Netherlands knocked them out 2-1 in the quarter-finals despite falling a goal behind first. Midfielder Melo and manager Dunga became the fall guys for the ignominious exit.

Polaroid

Thank you Baldwin, not many would be prepared to sit through all that, I am glad you had the interest to.

BaldwinLegend

Thank you Baldwin, not many would be prepared to sit through all that, I am glad you had the interest to.
No problem - you should post more.

I couldn't watch the World Cup in '94 - I'm still really familiar with Brazil's front two, as well as Dunga and Mauro Silva but have to admit I had no idea who the wide players, Zinho and Mazinho, were.

I wonder how or why they've fallen into anonymity while the rest of the team is still feted? Maybe they never played in Europe so retained a low profile?

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I wouldn't call Mazinho a winger he looked more of an auxiliary midfielder type in the Ramires, Kleberson mould providing an extra bit of legs and cover for the marauding fullback(s).

Their history of fullbacks is ridiculous really; Djalma Santos, Nilton Santos, Carlos Alberto, Junior, Jorginho, Roberto Carlos and Cafu, and now Maicon and Alves with potentially Rafael and Marcelo amongst others in this decade...in every decade they've had at least one of the best fullbacks in the world, often two. Phenomenal.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
My girlfriends brother was an exchange student in Brazil for a year (lives there now with his Brazilian wife. Hello WC 2014!). In Iceland he was a winger but when he played football there in Brazil he was put in as a full back. But they don't really call them full backs. They have a tradition of making something more out of these positions.

Usually in Northern Europe at least, probably in England as well, players that weren't quite good enough attacking or not physical enough for the center back position were put in as a full back. If they liked it they kept on playing there. Often they could also be wingers at youth level but making the step up there isn't room and they are tried as a full back. In Brazil you usually don't put a person in the full back if he isn't good at attacking so it's no wonder they make so many great ones.

Polaroid

Thanks, loved it
Thank you Stack, glad that you enjoyed it. I love watching Brazil at the World Cup. Other than the history and romance, their style of play makes you fall in love with football the way they do.

No problem - you should post more.

I couldn't watch the World Cup in '94 - I'm still really familiar with Brazil's front two, as well as Dunga and Mauro Silva but have to admit I had no idea who the wide players, Zinho and Mazinho, were.

I wonder how or why they've fallen into anonymity while the rest of the team is still feted? Maybe they never played in Europe so retained a low profile?
I like Mauro Silva as a player, has brawn and brains, one of the best defensive midfielders of his generation. Both Zinho and Mazinho were playing for Palmeiras when USA 94 came around. Zinho later went to Japan and Mazinho to Valencia. Thereafter, they did not reach any semblance of heights with club or country, which maybe goes some way towards explaining their lower reputations. Mazinho is also the father of Thiago Alcantara who turned out for Spain at the Euros U21 last summer and looks like a very promising player.

I wouldn't call Mazinho a winger he looked more of an auxiliary midfielder type in the Ramires, Kleberson mould providing an extra bit of legs and cover for the marauding fullback(s).

Their history of fullbacks is ridiculous really; Djalma Santos, Nilton Santos, Carlos Alberto, Junior, Jorginho, Roberto Carlos and Cafu, and now Maicon and Alves with potentially Rafael and Marcelo amongst others in this decade...in every decade they've had at least one of the best fullbacks in the world, often two. Phenomenal.
Concur that Mazinho was not playing as a traditional winger, Mazinho had taken the place of Rai and was playing with Zinho as attacking midfielders shuttling between the central and wide areas, linking up with the overlapping fullbacks and supplying the forwards, while Dunga and Mauro Silva cover and plug the gaps. Carlos Alberto Parreira replicated the set-up at Germany 2006 with Ronaldinho and Kaka, but without the same results because the work ethic and defensive solidity were not as strong.

Brwned

Thank you Stack, glad that you enjoyed it. I love watching Brazil at the World Cup. Other than the history and romance, their style of play makes you fall in love with football the way they do.
As great as the '70 team were the '82 side must epitomise what the Brazilian football team were all about, can't help but fall in love with a team with so much verve and confidence that every attack would be a meaningful one, every pass would be with the aim of creating another chance as quickly as possible. That midfield four :drool:.

Great full-backs: Don't forget Josimar, Branco, Leonardo

The 1958 and 1962 teams played 4-2-4, with Zagallo on the left often dropping back into midfield.

http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/...he_Tactical_Evolution_of_Brazilian_Soccer.pdf
If you're including Branco then Everaldo should be up there surely? Certainly Josimar, ridiculous to think you could name maybe more than 10 Brazilian fullbacks better than any England have produced. Agree about the '58 side, Orlando was certainly a defender and both Santos' were definitely fullbacks. The formation was pretty much Brazil's go-to formation over the years from then on, could be seen as a lopsided 433 or a 424 with one tucked in and slightly deeper (Zico, Rivelino etc.) and one pushed out and slightly higher (Jairzinho, Garrincha, Eder etc.).

Polaroid

As great as the '70 team were the '82 side must epitomise what the Brazilian football team were all about, can't help but fall in love with a team with so much verve and confidence that every attack would be a meaningful one, every pass would be with the aim of creating another chance as quickly as possible. That midfield four :drool:.
As far as watching football goes, I actually prefer Brazil 82 to the current Barcelona

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Will watch this tomorrow(too much work tonight!) looks like a great post, cheers!

Brwned

As far as watching football goes, I actually prefer Brazil 82 to the current Barcelona
Same here, can see myself going back to watch that Brazil side again at a later date sooner than I'd go back to watch this Barcelona side. They have the same fearlessness going forward that everyone loved about Cruyff's Ajax/Holland. Barcelona are fearless in possession but I think it's just that they're so much more calculated in attack. The freedom and individuality of Brazil's play is what's so mesmerising I suspect.

Real shame that Careca wasn't leading the line instead of Serginho but does anyone know if Careca was actually going to be first choice before the injury? During the New Zealand game the commentator said in the build up to the WC Brazil tried no fewer than 8 strikers in the previous 18 months, so I got the impression Careca was no more than a possibility. Certainly would've slotted right into that side based on his '86 showing.