Hodgson to leave Palace at the end of the season

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
This sounds like a quality FM save with all those contracts ending and so much wage being cut away after the first season.

Palace need better recruitment. How they have amassed so much dross on such high wages is really poor. Some of those players, like Townsend, Meyer, McCarthy etc... come in with decent reps and fail to push on as players.

Whoever comes in will have to take a look at coaching setup and get to the bottom of why that is.

MU655

Bielsa has rubbished that idea. You can play progressive football if you want at any level of the game. Dyche has his style because that is his choice. Ditto with Mourinho.
It does help being able to spend £90m in one window as Leeds did in the summer. On the other hand, Burnley spent £990k in the same summer . I wouldn't say you can play that football no matter what; you still need some resources.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
It does help being able to spend £90m in one window as Leeds did in the summer. On the other hand, Burnley spent £990k in the same summer . I wouldn't say you can play that football no matter what; you still need some resources.
Leeds were recently promoted. Burnley have been in the PL for how long now? That's a lame excuse.

MU655

Leeds were recently promoted. Burnley have been in the PL for how long now? That's a lame excuse.
Yes, they have, but their spending is pathetic for a Premier League club. Resources are very limited for Dyche, and so he cannot take risks and that affects the style of play.

Burnley spend since promotion in 16/17 (5 seasons in PL) - £125m (Average - £25m per season)

Leeds 16/17 onwards (1 season in PL) - £147m (Average - £29.4m per season) - PL spend £90m

Fulham 16/17 onwards (2 seasons in PL) - £212m (Average - £42.4m per season) - PL spend £140m

Newcastle 16/17 onwards (4 seasons in PL) - £251m (Average - £50.2m per season)

I think this shows the reality. Burnley are getting outspent by teams that have spent 3 or 4 less season in the Premier League. A team that has been in Premier League team is getting outspent by teams that spent most of that time in the Championship.

Even West Brom spent £150m during that time, despite being in the PL for only 3 seasons.

Last edited:

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Job just got a hell of a lot harder for someone as Eze's done his achilles in training, likely to be out for 6-8 months. F*ck.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
He has been the longest serving manager at Palace since Steve Coppell's first spell at the club hasn't he. Between the end of Coppell's first spell in 1993 and Hodgson's appointment in 2017, Palace certainly moved through managers quickly.

Clearly he took the club as far as he could and they hit his glass ceiling. Still he showed through his work at Fulham, West Brom and Palace, that he was well suited to taking over smaller Premier League clubs, and not only keeping them up but generally avoiding much serious relegation danger altogether.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
He does but I don’t think he will play better football. Sometimes managers can’t escape what they’re used to. Even with better players. Though, I think the transition from Hodgson to Dyche is better than going for Howe or Lampard.
Agree he is a much safer option than Howe and Lampard, no worries of getting relegated. Didn't Dyche try to be a bit more attacking now they are safe agasint Leeds at the weekend and lost 4-0?. If he went to Palace i don't think he would be as direct and defensive, with better players i think he would tweak his style a little bit.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Agree he is a much safer option than Howe and Lampard, no worries of getting relegated. Didn't Dyche try to be a bit more attacking now they are safe agasint Leeds at the weekend and lost 4-0?. If he went to Palace i don't think he would be as direct and defensive, with better players i think he would tweak his style a little bit.
If I was a Palace fan I would be dreading the possibility of Sean Dyche becoming the next manager. Football is a beautiful game when played with some creativity but playing 50 quid to watch Dyche battle Allardyce to a nil/nil tie fills me with dread.
At least Howe, Potter or Lampard play watchable football & give fans some pleasure. Bielsa has proven that front foot football is possible on a budget.