Gaming Hollow Knight - GOAT Metroidvania

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
:lol: Everytime I get past an area without much hassle just by slapping them around I remember your quote about walking around like Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Like I had Nail Upgrade 3 before landing into deepnest. I am sure those spiders and shit in there would be hard normally, but that nail by itself was tossing them around like tennis balls. It was actually crucial that I was able to one hit those flukeworm kids in that boss fight because that mama was pushing them out from all sides.
Mate, bang on some headphones and listen to the Stone Cold entrance music whilst playing. It's the best feeling ever :lol:

Moby

Dick
Beat Nosk, Collector, Elder Hu, Galien and that second Soul Warrior that gives you that dark fireball. Galien was surprisingly tricky. Got Ismas Tear as well which helps massively.

Attempted Hornet 2 a couple of times. Why the hell am I having to fight her again ffs. I was doing ok till those fecking stars get summoned in the sky which feck up my pattern.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Beat Nosk, Collector, Elder Hu, Galien and that second Soul Warrior that gives you that dark fireball. Galien was surprisingly tricky. Got Ismas Tear as well which helps massively.

Attempted Hornet 2 a couple of times. Why the hell am I having to fight her again ffs. I was doing ok till those fecking stars get summoned in the sky which feck up my pattern.
Mate you're plowing through it now. Very fast. Not sure how your doing that but those gaming steroids must be good. Hornet 2 was quite difficult for me too. In the end I setup a super aggressive charm setup and showed her who's daddy.

Also I did the Grimm Troupe quest hoping to get a reward but the motherfecker started a boss fight. feck off.
Don't worry, that one isn't that hard. Just learn the patterns and start up frames of his moves and be patient.

Then after you beat his ass, do the remaining fire missions and face his nightmare version. He is faster, his moves are more enhanced and he does double damage :lol:

Moby

Dick
Mate you're plowing through it now. Very fast. Not sure how your doing that but those gaming steroids must be good. Hornet 2 was quite difficult for me too. In the end I setup a super aggressive charm setup and showed her who's daddy.

Don't worry, that one isn't that hard. Just learn the patterns and start up frames of his moves and be patient.

Then after you beat his ass, do the remaining fire missions and face his nightmare version. He is faster, his moves are more enhanced and he does double damage :lol:
Haha yes it's funny how it took ages to get past that one fecking point. I think the biggest difference was moving to D-pad from joystick. Just so much better precision.

I am going in with Soul Catcher, Quick Focus and Quick Slash right now. Any suggestions? Thinking of taking Grimm child as he might take care of those pesky shuriken type shite.

Moby

Dick
I also practically finished the Hive. Ended there randomly as I just wanted to see where the tram goes. I cleared all the rooms in the area and reached the boss hive knight. Who seemed okayish. But I came back without beating him as there was no fecking bench in that entire area. Is there really no bloody bench in that whole area? My charm setup was not at all what I take for fights and I re spawned in a different part of the world and had to practically finish the whole Hive the second time just to get my shade back. And some of those massive bouncing bees are trouble when you are shitting about losing thousands of geo.

Moby

Dick

Then after you beat his ass, do the remaining fire missions and face his nightmare version. He is faster, his moves are more enhanced and he does double damage
True. Again he also caught me off guard and my charms were all wrong but I tried to fight as long as possible. The moves were kinda telegraphed and he wasn't insanely fast so might give that a try later on. I just got pissed off the the cnut gave me nothing for pissing about with those flame trolls.

As for the second yeah I've seen some of that stuff on TV and that's pretty much where my place is, watching it on TV. :lol:

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Haha yes it's funny how it took ages to get past that one fecking point. I think the biggest difference was moving to D-pad from joystick. Just so much better precision.

I am going in with Soul Catcher, Quick Focus and Quick Slash right now. Any suggestions? Thinking of taking Grimm child as he might take care of those pesky shuriken type shite.
If I remember correctly, I had something like quick slash, sharp Shadow, unbreakable Strength and Mark of Pride. Something like that. I usually had my charms nail based.

I also practically finished the Hive. Ended there randomly as I just wanted to see where the tram goes. I cleared all the rooms in the area and reached the boss hive knight. Who seemed okayish. But I came back without beating him as there was no fecking bench in that entire area. Is there really no bloody bench in that whole area? My charm setup was not at all what I take for fights and I re spawned in a different part of the world and had to practically finish the whole Hive the second time just to get my shade back. And some of those massive bouncing bees are trouble when you are shitting about losing thousands of geo.
Yeah that is a long t trek. Luckily I killed him on my second attempt. I guess you can put the teleport thing (not sure if you got it yet) right before the boss and skip that long stage...

Moby

Dick
If I remember correctly, I had something like quick slash, sharp Shadow, unbreakable Strength and Mark of Pride. Something like that. I usually had my charms nail based.

Yeah that is a long t trek. Luckily I killed him on my second attempt. I guess you can put the teleport thing (not sure if you got it yet) right before the boss and skip that long stage...
Got it. Guess I should just farm geo for unbreakable strength now then. I have the fragile version but can't risk it. There's not much left to buy for me apart from that. I threw 3000 geo into that fountain.

I don't have the dreamgate yet. I got the dream nail yesterday and I'm around 800 essence right now. Will get to other dream bosses soon.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
What's the best way to farm geo without going for the trials?
There's that big Knight like guy in soul Sanctum that drops a fair bit every time you kill him. Get fragile greed and slap him up.

But the trial is the best way. With that said, I never really needed to farm geo so someone may know a better way.

Moby

Dick
There's that big Knight like guy in soul Sanctum that drops a fair bit every time you kill him. Get fragile greed and slap him up.

But the trial is the best way. With that said, I never really needed to farm geo so someone may know a better way.
Yeah that's my plan. There are quite a few huge Knights just outside kings station who should drop around 100 with the greed charm.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Go to the trials area to save then exit left and drop down from the bat cave area to the room with little elephants, kill them all, exit the screen then return and they will respawn, repeat.

2 shade blasts will take out a pack.

Moby

Dick
Go to the trials area to save then exit left and drop down from the bat cave area to the room with little elephants, kill them all, exit the screen then return and they will respawn, repeat.

2 shade blasts will take out a pack.
Cheers. Yeah kingdoms edge was in my mind as well as they all drop a lot of geo despite being totally nothing enemies. That trial bench also has a soul replenishment pool so should be quick.

Also another spot is that failed tram area in Deepnest with those carvers giving birth to small carvers. Spent some time there while fighting Galien and it looked like free money but feck going back to fecking Deepnest. Not because it's anything tough just absolutely hate those countless small dark tunnels.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Cheers. Yeah kingdoms edge was in my mind as well as they all drop a lot of geo despite being totally nothing enemies. That trial bench also has a soul replenishment pool so should be quick.

Also another spot is that failed tram area in Deepnest with those carvers giving birth to small carvers. Spent some time there while fighting Galien and it looked like free money but feck going back to fecking Deepnest. Not because it's anything tough just absolutely hate those countless small dark tunnels.
You only need to use the trial bench as a safe respawn if you feck up, it'll take too long to use for restoring soul. Just use a spare elephant to boost your soul.

Upgrade fragile greed first to unbreakable greed if you can then you can safely farm.

The spot in Deepnest is a great early farm spot but if you've reached Kingdoms Edge then the elephants will outstrip it for geo/minute.

Moby

Dick
You only need to use the trial bench as a safe respawn if you feck up, it'll take too long to use for restoring soul. Just use a spare elephant to boost your soul.

Upgrade fragile greed first to unbreakable greed if you can then you can safely farm.

The spot in Deepnest is a great early farm spot but if you've reached Kingdoms Edge then the elephants will outstrip it for geo/minute.
Yep meant the same. Cool I'll probably hit that spot then. To convert it to unbreakable I just need to talk to divine while having the fragile charms equipped right? Hope there's no monkey business of them taking the charms and not giving it back. :lol:

padr81

Supports
Man City
Theres 5 big Knights that drop 80 geo each with unbreakable greed, with an upgraded nail and sharp dash you can kill them in about 5 seconds each.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Only just started playing it, but how damn catchy is that little whistling digger?

Selbourne

I usually just lurk and zone out here but I just wanna say how I love how active this thread has been for like the past month or so now. Absolute top tier game.

Moby

Dick
I usually just lurk and zone out here but I just wanna say how I love how active this thread has been for like the past month or so now. Absolute top tier game.
Glad ps plus had this absolute gem. The entire annual subscription fee was worth it just for getting to play this.

padr81

Supports
Man City
There is one in the very bottom left I think. Its a trek to the boss from there.

)_(

Am absolutely garbage at this game. I'll look at a walkthrough, see someone beat soul master and think it looks doable and then I die over and over again to soul warrior who I still haven't beat, instead I've just been farming geo to get some more charms and notches.

Moby

Dick
Got back for a few hours. Actually just decided to do the trial in the end. Did the first trial and got enough dough for unbreakable strength. Jesus Christ that thing is OP.

It was perfect timing as I was worried on hitting another big roadblock with Hornet 2 but once I got the stench equipped she went down crying Shaaaaa. Went down to the Abyss and got the shade soul and abyss shriek. Came back and finished Watches Knights and Uumuu so the temple is open for me now. Then went on and finished the second trial as well. That gave me the final pale ore so I have a fully upgraded nail which together with unbreakable strength is just an incredible ass whooping machine.

And for the finale. Spent around an hour going to Grimm. Came so close so many times but he's just relentless and you can't take your eye away. Finally got him. What a fecking feeling. I've zero idea how I've managed to get this far whatsoever haha. Totally forgot about our game in the process.

Not sure what all else is left to do now? No Pantheons or Path of Pain for sure. Guess it's just the Dream warriors and dream variants then.

Last edited:

Moby

Dick
Am absolutely garbage at this game. I'll look at a walkthrough, see someone beat soul master and think it looks doable and then I die over and over again to soul warrior who I still haven't beat, instead I've just been farming geo to get some more charms and notches.
Good thing is this is exactly where me and @Dirty Schwein got stuck and it's just a really tricky area which is also holding important abilities you need to get into other areas so you gotta just do it. Soul Warrior was where I quit the game for ages. Then came back and once he was done the difficulty curve is back to normal. Just gotta keep patience with him. Forget healing. Strike him whenever you get a chance. He has three moves. Soul Master is actually less tricky as it's a larger area and you can easily heal with Quick Focus. Just get past this shite and you will love the rest of it.

Moby

Dick
Primal Aspids truly are the worst, though that's mostly because of the Trial of the Fool.
Yeah. Apart from them both the trials were fine. But they just ganged up and fecked up a few tried for me. Especially when they were paired with those other darting cnuts.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Got back for a few hours. Actually just decided to do the trial in the end. Did the first trial and got enough dough for unbreakable strength. Jesus Christ that thing is OP.

It was perfect timing as I was worried on hitting another big roadblock with Hornet 2 but once I got the stench equipped she went down crying Shaaaaa. Went down to the Abyss and got the shade soul and abyss shriek. Came back and finished Watches Knights and Uumuu so the temple is open for me now. Then went on and finished the second trial as well. That gave me the final pale ore so I have a fully upgraded nail which together with unbreakable strength is just an incredible ass whooping machine.

And for the finale. Spent around an hour going to Grimm. Came so close so many times but he's just relentless and you can't take your eye away. Finally got him. What a fecking feeling. I've zero idea how I've managed to get this far whatsoever haha. Totally forgot about our game in the process.

Not sure what all else is left to do now? No Pantheons or Path of Pain for sure. Guess it's just the Dream warriors and dream variants then.
Nice one man. Beat all the dream warriors and dream variants. Do the trial of the conqueror and then move on to white palace. After that, go into the black egg.

That's pretty much what I did and got 107%

I didn't try the pantheons, the trial of the fool and path of pain.

I think I could have done at least one or two pantheons and maybe trial of fools but I don't want to waste hours of my life for a percentage when I know full well i can never get the full 112% (as I don't have the skills for the final two pantheons).

Moby

Dick
Nice one man. Beat all the dream warriors and dream variants. Do the trial of the conqueror and then move on to white palace. After that, go into the black egg.

That's pretty much what I did and got 107%

I didn't try the pantheons, the trial of the fool and path of pain.

I think I could have done at least one or two pantheons and maybe trial of fools but I don't want to waste hours of my life for a percentage when I know full well i can never get the full 112% (as I don't have the skills for the final two pantheons).
Trial of the conqueror is the second one right? Yeah finished that as well so just the final trial is remaining.

White Palace yeah. Will go for that as well. Guess overall not much remaining. :(

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Trial of the conqueror is the second one right? Yeah finished that as well so just the final trial is remaining.

White Palace yeah. Will go for that as well. Guess overall not much remaining. :(
Yeah the final trial I skipped. If it rewarded with something useful, id have tried it more but it doesn't.

Nope not much else left. Be sure to smash the final warriors and dream variants.

I was dreading the white palace but in the end, it wasn't as though as I thought it would be.

Same with the black egg.

Moby

Dick
I was dreading the white palace but in the end, it wasn't as though as I thought it would be.
Is there actually a big downside on skipping it? I don't mind entering into fights beyond my payscale and smashing bosses but I just don't have it in me to do any sort of half decent platforming. Even absolute beginner stuff like that spike zone in Greenpath is something that I have left so far, anything that requires downstriking on spikes and stuff that I absolutely suck at I just leave it be.

Ainu

Is there actually a big downside on skipping it? I don't mind entering into fights beyond my payscale and smashing bosses but I just don't have it in me to do any sort of half decent platforming. Even absolute beginner stuff like that spike zone in Greenpath is something that I have left so far, anything that requires downstriking on spikes and stuff that I absolutely suck at I just leave it be.
You will miss out on the true final boss if you don't do the White Palace. You don't have to do it immediately though. You can finish the game, do the White Palace and then finish it again.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
You don't necessarily 100% need to go in here and can complete it without going in but I suggest you do go in as you get:

To see the Pale King's corpse.
Sit (and take a piss) on his throne.
Get the second half of the Kingsoul Charm.

That third point is the main reason for going in. You can use that charm to go into the Abyss and you get some really crucial lore and swap the Kingsoul charm for Void Heart, which is needed to firstly access the true final boss and also a better ending than what you get without it.

But as I said, the game can be completed without this, you just won't get the (what I believe is the true) ending and that extra bit of lore that I feel is very crucial. But if you find it too difficult, just finish without and maybe check it on YouTube? That's what I did for the ending you get for finishing Hallownest Pantheon.

If you do decide to go in, I suggest equipping Grubsong, Hiveblood and Deep Focus charms. That way you have infinite attempts at the difficult platforming challenges.

Moby

Dick
You will miss out on the true final boss if you don't do the White Palace. You don't have to do it immediately though. You can finish the game, do the White Palace and then finish it again.
You don't necessarily 100% need to go in here and can complete it without going in but I suggest you do go in as you get:

To see the Pale King's corpse.
Sit (and take a piss) on his throne.
Get the second half of the Kingsoul Charm.

That third point is the main reason for going in. You can use that charm to go into the Abyss and you get some really crucial lore and swap the Kingsoul charm for Void Heart, which is needed to firstly access the true final boss and also a better ending than what you get without it.

But as I said, the game can be completed without this, you just won't get the (what I believe is the true) ending and that extra bit of lore that I feel is very crucial. But if you find it too difficult, just finish without and maybe check it on YouTube? That's what I did for the ending you get for finishing Hallownest Pantheon.
Cheers guys. I didn't know you needed that to get to the Radiance.

To be honest I don't even really feel like going for Hollow Knight, let alone Radiance. I might have an outside shot at HK, but I feel really content already to have come this far in the game. I'll probably go around getting all the dream variants mainly as they seemed quite tough the last time I went at a couple of them.

Having watched the speedruns Ive seen the endings already. It's most of the stuff in the game leading to that I was really interested in doing so would be great to get most of that.

But yeah, probably the best option is to just get the shit ending first, then go for these extra stuff. Absolutely hate that downstriking platforming though.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Cheers guys. I didn't know you needed that to get to the Radiance.

To be honest I don't even really feel like going for Hollow Knight, let alone Radiance. I might have an outside shot at HK, but I feel really content already to have come this far in the game. I'll probably go around getting all the dream variants mainly as they seemed quite tough the last time I went at a couple of them.

Having watched the speedruns Ive seen the endings already. It's most of the stuff in the game leading to that I was really interested in doing so would be great to get most of that.

But yeah, probably the best option is to just get the shit ending first, then go for these extra stuff. Absolutely hate that downstriking platforming though.
You will need to do this a fair bit too be fair. But don't worry about Hollow Knight. He's easy. Especially for the first ending because what normally makes HK a bit difficult is that you equip your charms for Radiance, so HK felt tougher.

But if you are going for a version without taking on Radiance, just equip Quick Slash, Unbreakable Strength, Long Nail and Sharp Shadow and that way you can tank him in 30 seconds.