g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Film Hollywood Reporter's top 50 films of the century

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Objectively terrible list, they got it all wrong!

Will read it later tonight.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I listen to a weekly film podcast diligently, did a few credits at college in film, check rotten tomatoes all the time and genuinely haven't heard of 30% of those.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Not sure how they managed to overlook Freddy Got Fingered, Office Space, Pineapple Express, Superbad, American Pie and Dude, Where's my Car? ...but here we are.

Fridge chutney

Not sure how they managed to overlook Freddy Got Fingered, Office Space, Pineapple Express, Superbad, American Pie and Dude, Where's my Car? ...but here we are.
Office Space and Superbad arguably deserve to make the list given how iconic they are (i mean Bridesmaids made it after all).

There are some bizarre omissions and inclusions.

Fridge chutney

Off the top of my head, whiplash, drive, there will be blood, gran torino and no country for old men are pretty bad omissions for me given a inclusions on the list.

Fridge chutney

Get Out and Black Panther in the top 10 and top 50, respectfully, but City of God is fecking nowhere in sight?

Fvck them.
Great shout, City of God is top 10 material easily. I watched this the other day too. Possibly the worst omission.

Jev

No-one will ever be 100 percent happy with the rankings, and there are lots of films I'm missing, but that's a good list of films with great inspiration, and that's really all you can ask for with these lists. Black Panther in the top-50 is insane, though, especially when films like No Country for Old Men or Blade Runner 2049 are not there.

Kylar Stern

Its almost like they pulled together the most hipster contrarian list to get as many social media mentions as humanly possible and drive more traffic to the site or something…

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Get Out and Black Panther in the top 10 and top 50, respectfully, but City of God is fecking nowhere in sight?
City of God's absence is particularly annoying to me because this is an "inclusive" list that only has 1 Latin American movie in it. It 'happens' to be a movie directed by a guy who's done most of his movies in the U.S.

Meanwhile they found the space for three separate Romanian movies.

marktan

To be fair from the ones I've seen it's a good list. A lot I haven't seen though, which is good because I need films to watch.

Some glaring omissions - There Will Be Blood, No Country for Old Men, The Assassination of Jesse James, The Proposition (all neo-Westerns :nervous:).

Then there's movies like Prisoners, Incendies, A History of Violence, Eastern Promises, Lord of the Rings, Silence, Tree of Life, The Master. There's so many movies missing.

It's just a bit of a crap list.
Just personal opinion but the first of those 3 you listed are good but not amazing. There will be blood gets a lot of praise but I didn't find it to be anything amazing. I haven't seen No Country for old men in like 15 years but I wasn't wowed at the time. But I know I'm probably in the minority.

Also tree of life is one of the worst films I've ever watched. Gave up halfway haha.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

Fvck them.
Oh wow, City of God is from 2002. So they found that worse than Bridesmaids and Black Panther? :lol:

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Boyhood is genuinely one of the worst films I have ever seen, and Black Panther is barely even the 49th best Marvel movie, never mind the 49th best film of this century.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Just personal opinion but the first of those 3 you listed are good but not amazing. There will be blood gets a lot of praise but I didn't find it to be anything amazing. I haven't seen No Country for old men in like 15 years but I wasn't wowed at the time. But I know I'm probably in the minority.
We can all have personal opinions. It's just goofy in the context of making a collective top 50 films list (there are six critics here).

There Will Be Blood is, objectively, one of the best-reviewed movies of the 21st century. The Guardian had it as #1 of the 2000s. A BBC poll of 177 film critics had it as #3 of the 21st century. It's not the kind of movie that you, as the writers of a serious publication, can put in the list of "honorable mentions" and say "well that's that."

By way of analogy, it would be like doing a list of the best movies of the 1970s and putting The Godfather in as #45, and your review saying "it's pretty good!"

Gazautd18

Hipster list without Everything Everywhere All At Once seems a bit off to me.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
A shit list sprinkled with a few gems that everyone should watch, like:

Children of Men
Portrait of a Lady on Fire
Y Tu Mama Tambien
Parasite
In the Mood For Love
Mulholland Drive
Zodiac

Blood Mage

Hopefully Mulholland Drive made the list, probably the best film I've seen this century. No Country for Old Men a close second.