"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Wasn't the word negroid frowned upon in the seventies? Jesus

nimic

something nice
Scout
What a prick.

Dilley said: ‘First of all, I didn’t think it would generate relevant information or it might have flushed out, I suppose, both relevant and irrelevant information and, if you like, drowned Mr Castleton because if people are ringing with problems that are caused by themselves, then providing him with information about that is not going to help.’

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Just watching Mr Bates v the Post Office on ITV. Really is disgusting how these people were treated. Heads ought to roll but I doubt they will.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
This is a national scandal and the ITV film about it is definitely worth watching.

Revaulx

I haven’t seen it, but apparently it demonises one of the big bosses responsible (a former Manchester High girl) but makes no mention of the other.

Obviously not connected with his leaving Royal Mail to become CEO of ITV :rolleyes:

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Yes mate, I signed the online petition yesterday. Will check the film out.
Didn't know there was an online petition. I am definitely going to sign it.
These people have suffered a terrible injustice by a company we were supposed to trust.
I see that Mr Bates has refused to accept an honour whilst the ex CEO keeps hers.

This case has many similarities with the Hillsborough case where the police thought they would get away with lying and falsifying evidence to try and blame Liverpool supporters. Luckily the families were prepared to fight for justice for their dead relatives.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Didn't know there was an online petition. I am definitely going to sign it.
These people have suffered a terrible injustice by a company we were supposed to trust.
I see that Mr Bates has refused to accept an honour whilst the ex CEO keeps hers.

This case has many similarities with the Hillsborough case where the police thought they would get away with lying and falsifying evidence to try and blame Liverpool supporters. Luckily the families were prepared to fight for justice for their dead relatives.
Yep, the more you read the more repulsive it becomes.

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petiti...page&utm_medium=promotion&utm_source=homepage

Tarrou

It's a brilliant show and a tragic story

some of the acting performances really are top notch

one of the most shocking aspects for me was how many people got taken to court with feckall evidence of wrong-doing

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
How some people sleep at night is beyond me.

Unbelievable this kind of sh*t goes on … well, sadly it’s not. Some people will literally do anything to keep their own powder dry.
I am sure it is going on all the time at different levels and over a wide range of issues.
An example is the PPE shambles where billions of pounds of our public money was sprayed out, many to mates and friends of government ministers. Only to find that lots of it was totally useless.
And of course none of them have owned up. Not a chance, lying bastards.

It is up to individual brave people like Mr Bates and the Liverpool families to stand up to deep seated and systematic corruption by those in positions of power.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I am sure it is going on all the time at different levels and over a wide range of issues.
An example is the PPE shambles where billions of pounds of our public money was sprayed out, many to mates and friends of government ministers. Only to find that lots of it was totally useless.
And of course none of them have owned up. Not a chance, lying bastards.

It is up to individual brave people like Mr Bates and the Liverpool families to stand up to deep seated and systematic corruption by those in positions of power.
Imagine being able to keep up a lie when you learn people are committing suicide because of your lie. Unreal.

Fts 74

Watched this I thought it was very good ive read a lot about it also. Absolute disgrace the behaviour of the Post Office, a law unto themselves, the fact they dont have to involve the Police they basically brought these people to court with no evidence was unbelievable.That man should be knighted for shinining a light on this never mind an OBE.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Seems an ex ITV CEO who was also a Post Office CEO at the time was left off the programme

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/1851220/mr-bates-v-the-post-office-itv
From Popbitch (can't recommend enough)

ITV has a new miniseries on the slate for 2024: Mr Bates vs The Post Office. It’s a biopic of the Post Office scandal in which an IT feck-up saw hundreds of employees wrongly accused of theft and fraud, a saga generally considered to be one of the worst miscarriages of justice in UK history.

A quick look at the cast list shows they’ve found someone to play Paula Vennells, the CEO of Post Office Ltd at the time, but there’s no-one playing Adam Crozier, who was CEO of Royal Mail Ltd.

Crozier played a significant role in the real-life scandal, but looks to have been snipped out of the dramatisation. Maybe it was just too tricky to write the scene where Crozier left Royal Mail to become CEO of… ITV.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Imagine being able to keep up a lie when you learn people are committing suicide because of your lie. Unreal.
You know what they say... it is tough at the top.
But seriously, there are no words to describe these people. But there is an inquiry and with the strength of feeling, those responsible won't be sleeping well.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
This is a national scandal and the ITV film about it is definitely worth watching.
It’s quite brilliant. Annoying the kind of people that normally vote Tory too.

The dramatisation route seems to have hit a lot harder than the Panorama documentary did.

Hell of a thing. The Twitter fall out and dot connecting has been fun to watch too.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It’s quite brilliant. Annoying the kind of people that normally vote Tory too.

The dramatisation route seems to have hit a lot harder than the Panorama documentary did.

Hell of a thing. The Twitter fall out and dot connecting has been fun to watch too.
Loads of people are rightly incensed at the Post Office disgraceful actions against their own people.
But unless I have missed something, there is nothing like the same criticism of Fujitsu who designed the Horizon accounting system.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Loads of people are rightly incensed at the Post Office disgraceful actions against their own people.
But unless I have missed something, there is nothing like the same criticism of Fujitsu who designed the Horizon accounting system.
It’s mental. Fujitsu were awarded another major government contract in November 2023. That’s… 3 months ago, for anyone that’s counting.

Simon Blagden donated close to £400k - PERSONALLY - while non executive chair of Fujitsu… then got appointed in 2022 to a Government position that advises on the NHS.

I’m somewhat grateful that the contrail/antivax/covid/terf idiots seem to have grabbed a hold of this after the ITV show and started shouting.

However… we won’t learn, or do anything. Let’s imagine that this was just one mistake. Just as big, just as criminal. The outcome should be that Fujitsu has to surrender all existing government contracts. They’re immensely important to this country. They work on everything. One of the world’s largest companies and they have fingers in all pies. But… they’re replaceable. It shouldn’t even be a question.

That they’re still be REWARDED and TRUSTED, not only with generic systems bullshit, but UK citizen data… is utterly insane.

The Government should be investigating The Post Office. The Post Office should be suing Fujitsu. The fact it’s not happening is evidence of corruption or criminality.

Imagine any other company in the planet, contracting out work that sees its own employees wrongly imprisoned… and just being cool with it.

It’s really gotten its hooks in me. So sorry for the rant.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

It’s mental. Fujitsu were awarded another major government contract in November 2023. That’s… 3 months ago, for anyone that’s counting.

Simon Blagden donated close to £400k - PERSONALLY - while non executive chair of Fujitsu… then got appointed in 2022 to a Government position that advises on the NHS.

I’m somewhat grateful that the contrail/antivax/covid/terf idiots seem to have grabbed a hold of this after the ITV show and started shouting.

However… we won’t learn, or do anything. Let’s imagine that this was just one mistake. Just as big, just as criminal. The outcome should be that Fujitsu has to surrender all existing government contracts. They’re immensely important to this country. They work on everything. One of the world’s largest companies and they have fingers in all pies. But… they’re replaceable. It shouldn’t even be a question.

That they’re still be REWARDED and TRUSTED, not only with generic systems bullshit, but UK citizen data… is utterly insane.

The Government should be investigating The Post Office. The Post Office should be suing Fujitsu. The fact it’s not happening is evidence of corruption or criminality.

Imagine any other company in the planet, contracting out work that sees its own employees wrongly imprisoned… and just being cool with it.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Your rant is certainly echoed by me, although not articulated anything like as well as you.
As you rightly say, why has it taken an ITV film to finally get Sunak to do anything.

I totally agree that no lessons will be learnt because there is no interest in learning.
It is all about pretending to care while in front of the cameras.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

Your rant is certainly echoed by me, although not articulated anything like as well as you.
As you rightly say, why has it taken an ITV film to finally get Sunak to do anything.

I totally agree that no lessons will be learnt because there is no interest in learning.
It is all about pretending to care while in front of the cameras.
They've won 150 contracts since Horizon.

Wilt

Absolutely disgusting how these people were treated.

Has to be prison sentences for those responsible.

Drainy

Show was a lot better than I expected it would be. Glad that the scandal has actually gotten the public outrage it should have done.

It will be another Hillsborough though, lessons to be learned, no accountability, people backslapping each other kind of deal

Flying high

The couple who ran the local post office went through this, though not with such large sums as others. As far as I know, they paid for the losses.

I'm pretty sure it contributed to their divorce, too. She always saw him as useless, so blamed it on him initially.

Then the PO forced through the closure of the branch, to add to the injury.

The fact that it has taken this long and an ITV drama about it to finally get the attention it deserves, says so much about this country and those in charge.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Show was a lot better than I expected it would be. Glad that the scandal has actually gotten the public outrage it should have done.

It will be another Hillsborough though, lessons to be learned, no accountability, people backslapping each other kind of deal

Yes I agree with you on the parallels with Hillsborough. Ordinary people having to fight for decades for justice.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Yep, but unfortunately not against all of the people involved.