g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Television House of the Dragon (GoT Prequel) - No book spoilers allowed

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It's hit me recently just how much the last bits of Game of Thrones has coloured my whole view of the show.

Not a show I look at with fondness now, which is weird because for at least half of it I was all in and then some.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
It's hit me recently just how much the last bits of Game of Thrones has coloured my whole view of the show.

Not a show I look at with fondness now, which is weird because for at least half of it I was all in and then some.
You, me and probably about 75% of the viewers. Was totally ready to watch all seasons again (which I own) - and after s8 I just lost all appetite. Very unfortunate bc I had nothing but fond feelings towards the show - despite some of the serious flaws in the other later seasons in particular. They say first impressions matter - last ones do too.

Sylar

there will be interest in this, even if people right now are saying no. Think a trailer will also be important for this, after the way GoT basically just fell of a cliff. As important as the story will be, its the characters and dialogue too that will be as important (if not more).

AaronRedDevil

I'm cautiously optimistic about this. But I dont want to be burned again. Pun unintended

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Do we know to what extent this has been pushed back by Covid? Originally it seemed it would hit around Witcher S2 - spring-ish 2021 if I recall.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Do we know to what extent this has been pushed back by Covid? Originally it seemed it would hit around Witcher S2 - spring-ish 2021 if I recall.
Was originally planned for early 2022. Now it's going to be late 2022, early 2023.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
I'm cautiously optimistic about this. But I dont want to be burned again. Pun unintended
Even as someone who liked the ending of GOT a fair bit, I think those disappointed by it will be fine here. Plot is already resolved, Sapochnik's in as showrunner. Where it might stumble compared to GOT is production values and immersion but can't imagine that will spoil the show or anything.

Sylar

Isnt it rumoured the actor for Ragnar from Vikings might also be in this too

Green_Red

Not content with ruining the end, now they want to ruin the start too.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Is there going to be much of an appetite for this? I'll watch it for sure, but I can't see how it will reach anywhere near the heights of GoT in terms of viewership. Or maybe enough time has passed by the time this comes out.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

You’re not alone. I get shudders just thinking about it now.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Is there going to be much of an appetite for this? I'll watch it for sure, but I can't see how it will reach anywhere near the heights of GoT in terms of viewership. Or maybe enough time has passed by the time this comes out.
I have no sense of hype for it and I was entranced by GoT for 6 and a bit seasons.

That last season powerhosed diarrhoea all over my enthusiasm for the series, books included.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I've been looking forward to the Dance of the Dragons for ages now. It's definitely GRRMs best tale. A chance to see the Targaryen dynasty at their most desperate and conniving moments? Conflicts over the line of succession and games of intrigue with black magic sorcerers? fecking shit loads of dragons fighting one another? Plus loads more that would just spoil what's to come if I mentioned it, but it's absolutely amazing.

The source material is juicy as feck, and with the exception of lots of big burny dragons kicking off like a coked pisshead after eight pints of snakebite, the majority of it will have to do the things that made GoT great in order to follow the story it's based on. Tons of pure intrigue, diplomacy and revenge plots set against the backdrop of a King who is trying to undo the damage of his predecessor Maegor the Cruel and fix the wounds between the realm and the faith against the Targaryens. Plus seeing the city of King's Landing slowly being built in the background.

Man, I'm genuinely looking forward to this, and I'm definitely one of those people who still despises how bad the last two seasons of GoT were and how they ruined it's legacy.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The end of GOT left a sour taste that will dampen excitement but there's no reason this couldn't be good, I suppose. D&D aren't involved, they go into it knowing the full story and it's a more linear plot than the rather sprawling ASOIAF.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I'm not sure the material they are basing this on is detailed is enough to make a good show. For reference Fire & Blood is a bit more like Silmarilon than Lord Of The Rings. They are having to write most of it themselves and that is the problem.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I think they’ll have learned from the mistakes of the final season of GoT & will be doing everything to make sure that doesn’t happen again. It might not hit the heights of the early GoT seasons, but I expect it to be a lot better than season 8.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I'm not sure the material they are basing this on is detailed is enough to make a good show. For reference Fire & Blood is a bit more like Silmarilon than Lord Of The Rings. They are having to write most of it themselves and that is the problem.
But what a story it is, and Miguel Sapochnick heading it is bound to make for some strong imagery and a steady directing head. At the very least they have the broad strokes and Fire & Blood has enough meat on it that even I could write something compelling from it. Fair enough, the lead writer is the guy who wrote that thing with The Rock and a giant ape but the other writers don't look too bad.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I've been looking forward to the Dance of the Dragons for ages now. It's definitely GRRMs best tale. A chance to see the Targaryen dynasty at their most desperate and conniving moments? Conflicts over the line of succession and games of intrigue with black magic sorcerers? fecking shit loads of dragons fighting one another? Plus loads more that would just spoil what's to come if I mentioned it, but it's absolutely amazing.

The source material is juicy as feck, and with the exception of lots of big burny dragons kicking off like a coked pisshead after eight pints of snakebite, the majority of it will have to do the things that made GoT great in order to follow the story it's based on. Tons of pure intrigue, diplomacy and revenge plots set against the backdrop of a King who is trying to undo the damage of his predecessor Maegor the Cruel and fix the wounds between the realm and the faith against the Targaryens. Plus seeing the city of King's Landing slowly being built in the background.

Man, I'm genuinely looking forward to this, and I'm definitely one of those people who still despises how bad the last two seasons of GoT were and how they ruined it's legacy.
Damn, you got me excited now! I must profess, I haven't read any of the books so I'm going in blind here.

Yeah, it will probably do just fine. It doesn't come out until some time in 2022 I believe, which is more than enough time for the animosity to die down.

Moby

Dick
The end of GOT left a sour taste that will dampen excitement but there's no reason this couldn't be good, I suppose. D&D aren't involved, they go into it knowing the full story and it's a more linear plot than the rather sprawling ASOIAF.
Unless they add something we don't know about, the source material for this story is pretty crap and nowhere near as interesting as ASOIAF.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Damn, you got me excited now! I must profess, I haven't read any of the books so I'm going in blind here.

Yeah, it will probably do just fine. It doesn't come out until some time in 2022 I believe, which is more than enough time for the animosity to die down.
I think I'm getting confused about the whole King thing as that might have been sorted out by the guy before Paddy Considine's character. But folk will forget about Jon Snow and Longclaw when they see Daemon Targaryen wielding Dark Sister. Makes Mike Tyson's right hook look like a slap with a wet fish.

Strange to see Matt Smith being cast for that role, Daemon is meant to be the best or at the least the second best Targaryen warrior that ever existed. Hope he swings a fez about at one point.

Unless they add something we don't know about, the source material for this story is pretty crap and nowhere near as interesting as ASOIAF.
I read that George had beefed it up with more information when he met with the showrunners. Fair enough Fire & Blood is a pretty crap book but I still stand by saying that the DOTD is my favourite "story" of his.

Edit: actually George has written anything. Cock back in trousers now.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Excited for this. For those saying Dany died, the mother of dragons won't just lay down and die. Was there any confirmation that she did die ? Drogon flew her east to Volantis and we all know what happens there.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Excited for this. For those saying Dany died, the mother of dragons won't just lay down and die. Was there any confirmation that she did die ? Drogon flew her east to Volantis and we all know what happens there.
Isn't this set about 200 years before GoT though?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Erm... this is a prequel?

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
It looks like a bag of shit. And they borrowing characters from Police Academy is low.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
It looks like a bag of shit. And they borrowing characters from Police Academy is low.
Folk like you are going to be devastated when this doesn't turn out to be shit and is actually pretty, epicly, monstrously average.