g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Television House of the Dragon (GoT Prequel) - No book spoilers allowed

AaronRedDevil

No chance.

Bezos wouldn't green-lit the most expensive TV show ever, if it was going to suck.

I hope you kids can handle all this epicness that's coming your way.
It’s already looking bad by just the cast and everything they are doing. It’s too diverse. Not saying having diversity is bad, but when that’s just one of the focus along with some sex scenes, tends to tell me that’s the selling point and not the epicness of lord of the rings. Guess we’ll see eventually.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
The promo stills have all the compositional grace and dynamism of a thousand influencer's YouTube intros. The costumes look like they've come fresh from a Disney world hourly parade.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I know the timeline. I read the books long before people knew this existed. I mentioned Dany because of all the people who are whining about her dying and saying this will be shit.
I know you know the timeline and read the books long before people knew this existed. I mentioned it being 200 years before GoT because it too was a rather random thing to say and didn't expect people to misinterpret why I was saying it. Lulz

Last edited:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I read it again and pretended it was the first time I'm seeing it
Thanks. I don't want folk to read it and think "there's Mr Pigeon acting like a cnut as usual" instead of "there's Mr Pigeon thinking he's being funny when he's just acting like a cnut as usual."

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Do the books detail a vapid aspirational soc media aesthetic, or is that show runner inspired.

the big dragon was spitting hot fire like li'l diddle done on his last single. Includes paid promotion: when I get scaley lips like a big dragon I use dragon chap. Up next big dragon try on haul.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Do the books detail a vapid aspirational soc media aesthetic, or is that show runner inspired.

the big dragon was spitting hot fire like li'l diddle done on his last single. Includes paid promotion: when I get scaley lips like a big dragon I use dragon chap. Up next big dragon try on haul.
There seems to be a lot of advertising for Westerosi food, although that might have something to do with GRRM just being hungry whenever he describes what's on a character's feasting table.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Is there going to be much of an appetite for this? I'll watch it for sure, but I can't see how it will reach anywhere near the heights of GoT in terms of viewership. Or maybe enough time has passed by the time this comes out.
Don't think anything will reach the heights of GoT anytime soon in that regard.

I've got a Stockholm syndrome relationship with GoT, there's simply no letting go. Suspect a significant chunk of the fanbase is the same. If they can nail the marketing there is bound to be proper buzz around season 1.

Chairman Steve

I fear this will turn into generic, cliche, 6/10 fantasy TV show much like the last few seasons of GOT were. GRRM’s manuscripts are the key ingredient to GOT, and when they had to wing it, the show nosedived in quality.

Fingeredmouse

Strange to see Matt Smith being cast for that role, Daemon is meant to be the best or at the least the second best Targaryen warrior that ever existed. Hope he swings a fez about at one point.
I think he'll be great. A fine actor who is pretty athletic so should be able to carry the fighty side off. He can certainly do charming and he can also do scary bastard (see the deleted In Bruges scene).

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Unless they add something we don't know about, the source material for this story is pretty crap and nowhere near as interesting as ASOIAF.
I haven't kept up with the making of this show at all,, but isn't it conquest of Westeros and onwards?
The conquest
Dance of dragons
Blackfyre rebellion

Plenty of stuff there which would be as interesting or more so than the current book series

Sylar

Don't think anything will reach the heights of GoT anytime soon in that regard.

I've got a Stockholm syndrome relationship with GoT, there's simply no letting go. Suspect a significant chunk of the fanbase is the same. If they can nail the marketing there is bound to be proper buzz around season 1.
I reckon this is the case, and there will be hunger for it but people also checking it out before they go full in.

GoT not being finished however lead to the amounts of guessing and looking for clues. If this story is complete then it won't have that (which leads to lots and lots of discussion and a fan base that grows)

SuperiorXI

They've certainly got the acting and directing talent (Sapochnik :drool:) in place. Not sure about a couple of the writers.

Paddy Considine is one of my favourite actors so looking forward to seeing what happens with his character. Ramin Djawadi on the score is almost a cheat code these days.

SoCross

So what’s this about? Blackfyre rebellion?

Lord of the Rings, this and the Witcher! Going to be some good tv.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Does HBO mean this will be on Sky Atlantic again?
Yep. They’re releasing HBO Max for some European countries but the Sky Atlantic deal in UK runs until 2025.

b82REZ

I'm hoping the fact there is a huge amount of source material from Aegon's Conquest to the Dance with Dragons means there won't be a drop off in quality like GoT.

Looking forward to this regardless.

TheLiverBird

Never understood, and still don’t understand those that furiously hate the last few seasons of GoT

I Loved season 1 right up too season 8

Of course they certainly felt in mainly ways a little rushed the last seasons but entertainment value was still second to none for me. Some say they were so heavily invested and then burned with seasons 7-8, me personally, I was so heavily invested I didn’t want the damn show to end, and currently gearing up with the Wife to watch all the seasons again after maybe a years break from this world.

Can’t wait for house of the dragon

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Giving this a long hard pass. If I hear good things about it in a season or two I might watch it but the fallout from GoT is still too fresh for me.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Give us fire, blood, tits and Ramin Djawadi and I might consider watching.
Fire ✓
Blood ✓
Ramin fecking Djawadi ✓

Lack of tits so far but I appreciate they can't go all in on trailers.

Irwin99

Got burned pretty badly by season 8 and have never watched an old episode again since.

...I know I'll end up watching this though. No point in trying to hide.

marktan

I like the GoT lore regarding the Targaryens, so this should hopefully be good. Also it's not as serious as the main series with all the prophetic prince that was promised, white walker end of the world stuff so it won't be as hard to write for them.

Not sure about Matt Smith though. Didn't like him in Doctor Who, all I see is Matt Smith now when he's in anything.

cafecillos

Still puzzles me that some people are ok with the shitshow that were seasons 7 and 8.