Television House of the Dragon (GoT Prequel) - No book spoilers allowed

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
But the characters we have already been shown from the main family are lacking depth and complexity. What’s the likelihood that this will change in future season if even more characters come into mix.
I don't want to get into spoilers but I would say it is extremely likely and I'd leave it at that.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
According to GRRM, the most likely release window for season 2 is April/May 2024!

Thats way too long. What if I die!?

Gah.

Fully Fledged

In HotD does anyone really hate the new boy king?
Yeah and his brother and the Queen's Sworn Shield and the Hand. It's the main reason I'm Team Black there's not really anyone I like on Team Green. I kind of feel sorry for Alicent but that can't overcome my dislike for the rest of her family.
It might all change in season 2 if they become more nuanced then I might start feeling for them but at the moment they are that family from hell that lives around the corner that everybody dislikes but is slightly intimidated by.

SuperiorXI

Yeah and his brother and the Queen's Sworn Shield and the Hand. It's the main reason I'm Team Black there's not really anyone I like on Team Green. I kind of feel sorry for Alicent but that can't overcome my dislike for the rest of her family.
It might all change in season 2 if they become more nuanced then I might start feeling for them but at the moment they are that family from hell that lives around the corner that everybody dislikes but is slightly intimidated by.
Alicent is a nutter, she wanted to take a kids eye out

AlPistacho

Alicent is a nutter, she wanted to take a kids eye out
I always saw Alicent as being brainwashed by Otto into believing that her children would get killed by Rhynaera. She was initially sceptical, but things happened that made her believe it to be true. The final straw wasn’t really the act of Aemond losing the eye, it was the indifference of the king and him being more concerned about the “rumours” that everyone knew to be true. That’s what made her lash out and seek an eye for an eye.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Tbf, Otto kinda had a point. If Rhaenyra became Queen then Allicent's kids would be an immediate threat to her position. Even if she didn't actually want to kill them, all it would take is for the lords in the realm who are against her to try to use them as a rallying point and suddenly you're heading into Princes In The Tower territory....

AlPistacho

Tbf, Otto kinda had a point. If Rhaenyra became Queen then Allicent's kids would be an immediate threat to her position. Even if she didn't actually want to kill them, all it would take is for the lords in the realm who are against her to try to use them as a rallying point and suddenly you're heading into Princes In The Tower territory....
What’s more certain is that Otto doesn’t care about his grand kids beyond the power they can give him. The king you can see he was more “well the eye has gone nothing we can do about that, but these rumours can lead to worse bloodshed” While Otto was “yeah feck his eye he got us the biggest dragon”

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Just give the characters more nuance and complexity so the audience can truly love or hate them. Force the audience to choose a side.
I think part of the appeal of the original show came from a lack of complexity. The story made sense because it had clear heroes and villains, with standard moral positions, and pitted them against each other. The novelty was that, while the characters followed traditional conventions, the narrative didn't; the good guys could lose. The nuance came from having these 'standard' people interact with a world that didn't play along.

This show mostly doesn't have that. There is not much contrast; just lots of grey.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I gave up after 4 eps. My wife kept watching it and telling me what's happening. I'm glad I dropped out.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I actually do have a pic of the occasion but no way will I post it here. I don't have a single picture of me on the internet and would like to keep it that way.
I was kidding, it's an old joke ;)

sherrinford

I don't really get the negativity. Were folk so unenamoured with how Game of Thrones ended that they were always going to find reason to dismiss this show? Or did some have preconceived ideas on what and how the series should be, or simply unrealistically high expectations, which were not met?

It wasn't perfect, it wasn't the best season of television I've ever seen - but I thought it was very good. The pilot is great, as good as you can expect a pilot to be, and then the show broadly maintains it's quality for eight of the ten episodes (dips in episodes two and nine, but with two particularly good entries with eps seven and eight).

lt's only the first season.

TheLiverBird

Quite enjoyed this first season

however

quite serious

I was hoping for some Humour to come into it at some point

I loved GoT Humour with certain characters

understandably this first season is all about setting the scene, I can’t think of much humour in GoT first season, but I hope it arrives atsome point in further HoD seasons

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I'm late to the party and watching this now, about 6 or 7 episodes in. Not gonna read through the thread to avoid spoilers, but just wondering... people liked this show? I remember it being compared (positively) to the Rings of Power one, and I'm wondering... why? It's all so mediocre so far.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I'm late to the party and watching this now, about 6 or 7 episodes in. Not gonna read through the thread to avoid spoilers, but just wondering... people liked this show? I remember it being compared (positively) to the Rings of Power one, and I'm wondering... why? It's all so mediocre so far.
A lot of people liked it, even winning over those that thought they were burnt out on GoT (me) and the toxic types lining up to spew their vitriol due to some diversity in casting (not me).

It was not without its faults and I can see how it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but some stunning performances (Milly and Paddy, plus others) pushed it into very good territory.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
A lot of people liked it, even winning over those that thought they were burnt out on GoT (me) and the toxic types lining up to spew their vitriol due to some diversity in casting (not me).

It was not without its faults and I can see how it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but some stunning performances (Milly and Paddy, plus others) pushed it into very good territory.
Paddy Considine has been good yeah. I'd struggle to find many other good performances - Milly Alcock was ok, though a bit one tone kind of performance, and some of them are reaaaaaally really bad, though it's in large part due to the writing.

I actually should've worded my post better - I didn't really mean "liked", more "rated", cos I remember a lot of comparisons being made between RoP and this, and the writing is of similar caliber (in my view), I expected a lot more. But it's not unpleasant viewing, it's relatively entertaining (though there is a lot of filler too).

Oh, I am a bit surprised by how it looks. Did they have a low budget? A lot of it looks a bit tacky and some of the VFX look outdated already :lol:

JuveGER

Supports
Juventus
It picks up towards the end. Episode 8 is the best of the season and one of the best in the GoT universe.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Paddy Considine has been good yeah. I'd struggle to find many other good performances - Milly Alcock was ok, though a bit one tone kind of performance, and some of them are reaaaaaally really bad, though it's in large part due to the writing.

I actually should've worded my post better - I didn't really mean "liked", more "rated", cos I remember a lot of comparisons being made between RoP and this, and the writing is of similar caliber (in my view), I expected a lot more. But it's not unpleasant viewing, it's relatively entertaining (though there is a lot of filler too).

Oh, I am a bit surprised by how it looks. Did they have a low budget? A lot of it looks a bit tacky and some of the VFX look outdated already :lol:
No you're right it really is mediocre, and that's only because the king moments are so strong that they balance out the really shambling stuff. Proper George Lucas prequel vibes to much of it.

I sometimes think that Phantom Menace would get a decent reception if released today given the decline in audience expectations.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
I don't really get the negativity. Were folk so unenamoured with how Game of Thrones ended that they were always going to find reason to dismiss this show? Or did some have preconceived ideas on what and how the series should be, or simply unrealistically high expectations, which were not met?
I think this show only has some of the elements that made GoT good, and I'm not sure that these elements work as well on their own.

GoT has a pretty standard good-vs-evil story that plays out at the same time as a more complex story of grey characters, political in-fighting, etc. Both elements work well together. The former gives it structure, stakes, values. The latter gives it depth, thrills, surprises.

This show only has the latter. So it is lacking in structure, stakes, and values. And it has replaced the lurid and campy elements of GoT with an excessive degree of self-seriousness. The idea that you're going to turn a story about bickering entitled nobles into some feminist treatise by showing a violent birth every 3 episodes is just so goofy.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
GOT was sublime material for a tv adaption. This never was which is why they struggle when they have to write 95% of it themselves.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Sorry for the bump but I finally watched all of it. Even knowing how it all ends after reading Fire and Blood I'm really looking forward to seeing how Season 2 plays out.

Paddy Considine was fecking brilliant. He just seemed like such a weedy fella until that scene with the Lannister twat during the hunt, when the Targaryen in him just sprung out of nowhere. It's my favourite scene in the entire season and the actors' performances are a huge reason for that.

Feel bad for some of the "bit part" characters, mainly the Green and Black children. I'm sure we'll get more character moments with them in Season 2 but the time jumps just made me feel disconnected from them from the get go. Superb casting all around though, it has to be said, especially Considine, Steve Toussaint and Olivia Cooke.

Matt Smith though. When he was first cast I was a bit worried. One of the greatest Targaryen warriors with a brutal nature? No chance. But it turns out he's fecking scary at times.

Sylar

Sorry for the bump but I finally watched all of it. Even knowing how it all ends after reading Fire and Blood I'm really looking forward to seeing how Season 2 plays out.

Paddy Considine was fecking brilliant. He just seemed like such a weedy fella until that scene with the Lannister twat during the hunt, when the Targaryen in him just sprung out of nowhere. It's my favourite scene in the entire season and the actors' performances are a huge reason for that.

Feel bad for some of the "bit part" characters, mainly the Green and Black children. I'm sure we'll get more character moments with them in Season 2 but the time jumps just made me feel disconnected from them from the get go. Superb casting all around though, it has to be said, especially Considine, Steve Toussaint and Olivia Cooke.

Matt Smith though. When he was first cast I was a bit worried. One of the greatest Targaryen warriors with a brutal nature? No chance. But it turns out he's fecking scary at times.
I remember it being great and enjoying it despite the time jumps happening and you kinda having to figure it out given some actors changed and some didn't :lol:

I think the one scene I didn't like was the suicide mission by Matt Smith where he should have died but plot armour and all

wangyu

It just reinforces me feelings that I prefer movies. Tv shows take too long to get going, then you have to wait years for season 2 and by the time it arrives you forgot all about the setup in season 1. Since it takes about 8 to 10 hours to watch an entire season I am certainly not in the mood to wade through it a second time.
If I make it through the second season it means I’m pretty much into it but then the suits decide to cancel the show so you’re left with huge cliffhangers for the rest of your life.
OR alternatively they keep writing new seasons until you’re completely fed up with it all because you’ve seen it all before numerous times.

At Least movies usually don’t end with a cliffhanger.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Tv shows take too long to get going, then you have to wait years for season 2 and by the time it arrives you forgot all about the setup in season 1. Since it takes about 8 to 10 hours to watch an entire season I am certainly not in the mood to wade through it a second time.
Or you could just watch a 5 minute recap on YouTube.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Looks great. I wonder will they follow the book (which is btw absolutely awesome) or will they change the story?