g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Television House of the Dragon (GoT Prequel) - No book spoilers allowed

suheilsworld

Great last episode, very enjoyable season overall. Vhagar's size compared to Arrax was hilarious, I wonder how much Daemon factored that in when he was counting up which side has more dragons.

Unfortunately looks like a long wait for season 2.
I am sure he has considering he was down getting Vermithor ready to be ridden. Vermithor was ridden by Jaehaerys I Targaryen and is only smaller to Balerion and Vhagar.

suheilsworld

That and Rhaenyra’s face at the end before the credits role were the two best bits.

Fecking two years we have to wait now for S2 unless it’s majorly leaked somewhere well ahead by then.

Who was the dragon that Daemon awoke in the pit?
Who was the dragon in the dungeon?
Daemon was talking about wild dragons and those unclaimed. People seem to think that was Vermithor, the dragon that was rode by Paddy’s…uh…uncle, or cousin, or…both. Whoever the hell the previous king was.
According to subtitles it seems that's the case
Vermithor - 3rd biggest dragon after Balerion and Vhagar

Fully Fledged

Great last episode, very enjoyable season overall. Vhagar's size compared to Arrax was hilarious, I wonder how much Daemon factored that in when he was counting up which side has more dragons.

Unfortunately looks like a long wait for season 2.
The dragon that Daemon has just gone to claim while not the same size as Vhagar is at least another heavy weight contender rather than putting up a light weight against a heavy weight. It might then turn to the ability of the rider than one dragon outmatching the other.

jeff_goldblum

I thought the last couple of episodes were really good, it really geared up. My only real complaint is that I can't tell if Alicent is meant to be so hammy or whether the actor playing her as an adult is just bad at acting.

Sylar

I might be alone in this, but ive had no issues with any of the acting. Didnt find Alicent hammy or anything. The foot fetish guy was a bit hammy ha.

Bebe

I might be alone in this, but ive had no issues with any of the acting. Didnt find Alicent hammy or anything. The foot fetish guy was a bit hammy ha.
Nor did I. Some of the child acting felt a little corny, but that's to be expected. Plenty of standout performances, and I dont think there are any I would consider "bad".

Tyrion

Which is why it made no sense to me why Viserys' kids with Alicent all had silver hair...
It's a Westeros thing. Everyone has the hair colour linked to their second name unless their mothers infidelity is a major plot point (e.g. Cersei, Rhaenyra).

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
It's a Westeros thing. Everyone has the hair colour linked to their second name unless their mothers infidelity is a major plot point (e.g. Cersei, Rhaenyra).
I think it's fair to say that pairings of Valyrians and non-Valyrians can result in something of a crapshoot insofar as the silver hair is concerned. What is striking about Rhaenyra's children is that they are purportedly pureblood Valyrian yet they don't have the hair. Don't think there are any examples where this is the case elsewhere which is the crux of the issue.

Also Cersei got away with her infidelity for years and years without suspicion; it was purely because Jon Arryn uncovered something like 15 bastard children of Robert who all had black hair versus his 3 "legitimate" ones who didn't - had Robert been less profligate no one would have batted an eye.

Tyrion

I think it's fair to say that pairings of Valyrians and non-Valyrians can result in something of a crapshoot insofar as the silver hair is concerned. What is striking about Rhaenyra's children is that they are purportedly pureblood Valyrian yet they don't have the hair. Don't think there are any examples where this is the case elsewhere which is the crux of the issue.

Also Cersei got away with her infidelity for years and years without suspicion; it was purely because Jon Arryn uncovered something like 15 bastard children of Robert who all had black hair versus his 3 "legitimate" ones who didn't - had Robert been less profligate no one would have batted an eye.
Fair. It's more that I find it funny that Targaryens kept silver hair for three hundred years while Lannisters kept their blonde hair and Starks their black hair for hundreds if not thousands of years. It's strange that families have distinct looks when they're always intermarrying.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Did a bit of reading, his dragon isn't as big as Vhagar but it's said he's a mother fecker to deal with in battle.
I think he was referring to Vermithor not Caraxes.
Vermithor still isn't as big as Vhagar; he's at least 50 years younger. He was born around the time of the conquest, while Vhagar was at least already 50 years old at that point probably. Plus on top of that Vermithor has spent the better part of 40-50 years (depending on how long the show has Viserys living) underground, which would stunt his growth.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Fair. It's more that I find it funny that Targaryens kept silver hair for three hundred years while Lannisters kept their blonde hair and Starks their black hair for hundreds if not thousands of years. It's strange that families have distinct looks when they're always intermarrying.
Oh I completely agree. It very much speaks to someone who skimmed the bit about Mendelian genetics in a physical encyclopedia once before going back to typing a manuscript with two fingers on a PC from 1996.

roseguy64

Vermithor still isn't as big as Vhagar; he's at least 50 years younger. He was born around the time of the conquest, while Vhagar was at least already 50 years old at that point probably. Plus on top of that Vermithor has spent the better part of 40-50 years (depending on how long the show has Viserys living) underground, which would stunt his growth.
How does Viserys' age impact that?

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Oh, that wasn't Daemon's dragon?

Wonder who will ride it as D already has one and it would be a waste for him to have two.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
I've been longingly watching this thread as a newbie but I didn't get promoted in time to discuss episodes on a weekly basis. But at least I'm here in time to discuss the finale! I haven't read the books so there will be no book spoilers from me.

Overall I liked the season. It's nowhere near as good as GoT before everything went to shit, but that is also a very high bar. I agree with the people who said that things got increasingly better near the end. I'm also happy that they switched out some of the actors after the first time skip. The actresses who play Alicent and Rhaenyra are much better now. The first few episodes were totally carried by Viserys and The Sea Snake acting-wise.

When it comes to the story I mainly have 3 annoyances:
1. The way Alicent misunderstood Viserys was dumb. But I guess this silliness kind of got redeemed by making it clear that Otto had planned for a coupe all along. Alicent just made things easier for him.
2. Why is the Incel Knight allowed to kill several high-born without any serious consequences?
3. I thought Larys(creative naming right there) was supposed to be some sort of mastermind, but it turns out he's just really into feet. He was never as compelling as Varys so I had low expectations, but I still managed to get disappointed :lol:

Finally: is anyone Team Green at this stage? In my opinion there's not a single redeemable character on that side. Pirate Sephiroth, The Incel Knight, King Joffrey 2, Varys Tarantino etc really make the worst team.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
:lol:

I've been longingly watching this thread as a newbie but I didn't get promoted in time to discuss episodes on a weekly basis. But at least I'm here in time to discuss the finale! I haven't read the books so there will be no book spoilers from me.

Overall I liked the season. It's nowhere near as good as GoT before everything went to shit, but that is also a very high bar. I agree with the people who said that things got increasingly better near the end. I'm also happy that they switched out some of the actors after the first time skip. The actresses who play Alicent and Rhaenyra are much better now. The first few episodes were totally carried by Viserys and The Sea Snake acting-wise.

1. The way Alicent misunderstood Viserys was dumb. But I guess this silliness kind of got redeemed by making it clear that Otto had planned for a coupe all along. Alicent just made things easier for him.
2. Why is the Incel Knight allowed to kill several high-born without any serious consequences?
3. I thought Larys(creative naming right there) was supposed to be some sort of mastermind, but it turns out he's just really into feet. He was never as compelling as Varys so I had low expectations, but I still managed to get disappointed :lol:

Finally: is anyone Team Green at this stage? In my opinion there's not a single redeemable character on that side. Pirate Sephiroth, The Incel Knight, King Joffrey 2, Varys Tarantino etc really make the worst team.
Some responses (and welcome to the thread!):

1. Yeah that and the notion that Viserys would ever be left alone and unmonitored was odd. But as you say Otto already had wheels turning.
2. He's Alicent's sworn sword and she can protect him pretty much unreservedly. A lot was made of him killing Lonmouth but Lonmouth also died with a dagger in his hand - it's pretty understandable that everyone would just assume the Kingsguard was doing his job, especially as there's basically only his testimony afterwards. Regarding Lord Beesbury, no one was going to hold Cole accountable as they were busy planning their coup and they were all fine with eliminating Beesbury before he could get the word out.
3. We haven't seen the last of him.

The question of anyone being Team Green is a tricky one. Personally I think that if I were living in Westeros and had supernatural knowledge of all that had occurred, I'd be pretty firmly Team Green - the precedent for a male heir to take priority was literally how Viserys ascended the throne, so for him to try to turn that on its head is a non-starter. 90% of the realm agreed with that settled as a rule of law. There's also the question of who would be the better ruler and I think that's pretty clearly the Greens - Rhaenyra continually makes stupid decisions that come back to haunt her (e.g. not just marrying Harwin Strong when it was a perfectly valid option, not ensuring that she had at least one kid with Laenor no matter what, fleeing to Dragonstone instead of staying with Viserys, going back to Dragonstone again when it was pretty obvious Viserys was about to die, etc). The Hightowers are ruthless bastards but they also know how to plan things and generally have a better sense of the big picture, in my opinion. All that said, given modern sensibilities and morality being what they are Team Green is absolutely an extremely tough sell.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Some responses (and welcome to the thread!):
Thanks!

2. He's Alicent's sworn sword and she can protect him pretty much unreservedly. A lot was made of him killing Lonmouth but Lonmouth also died with a dagger in his hand - it's pretty understandable that everyone would just assume the Kingsguard was doing his job, especially as there's basically only his testimony afterwards. Regarding Lord Beesbury, no one was going to hold Cole accountable as they were busy planning their coup and they were all fine with eliminating Beesbury before he could get the word out.
3. We haven't seen the last of him.
2. Good point. I guess my dislike for the character clouded my judgement there :lol:

3. It would be hilarious and actually kind of smart if he just pretended to be an innocent creep! :eek:

Tyrion

Oh I completely agree. It very much speaks to someone who skimmed the bit about Mendelian genetics in a physical encyclopedia once before going back to typing a manuscript with two fingers on a PC from 1996.
I didn't know about the two fingers bit which does help explain so much.

roseguy64

The question of anyone being Team Green is a tricky one. Personally I think that if I were living in Westeros and had supernatural knowledge of all that had occurred, I'd be pretty firmly Team Green - the precedent for a male heir to take priority was literally how Viserys ascended the throne, so for him to try to turn that on its head is a non-starter. 90% of the realm agreed with that settled as a rule of law. There's also the question of who would be the better ruler and I think that's pretty clearly the Greens - Rhaenyra continually makes stupid decisions that come back to haunt her (e.g. not just marrying Harwin Strong when it was a perfectly valid option, not ensuring that she had at least one kid with Laenor no matter what, fleeing to Dragonstone instead of staying with Viserys, going back to Dragonstone again when it was pretty obvious Viserys was about to die, etc). The Hightowers are ruthless bastards but they also know how to plan things and generally have a better sense of the big picture, in my opinion. All that said, given modern sensibilities and morality being what they are Team Green is absolutely an extremely tough sell.
What the hell are you talking about?

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
What the hell are you talking about?
Rhaenyra had her choice of any husband she would have liked but didn't take her courtship seriously, in large part because she decided to bang one of the 7 people in the realm she should under no circumstances bang. Consequently she was forced into marrying Laenor - had she just married Harwin Strong off the bat everything would have been avoided.

Continuing to have children with Harwin Strong despite her marriage was also a terrible decision. She never appreciated how tenuous her position was and never took the necessary steps to cement her legitimacy. When she has her sojourn with Daemon into Flea Bottom she literally dismisses the opinions of the smallfolk, which is entirely in keeping with her character and is also entirely idiotic.

roseguy64

Rhaenyra had her choice of any husband she would have liked but didn't take her courtship seriously, in large part because she decided to bang one of the 7 people in the realm she should under no circumstances bang. Consequently she was forced into marrying Laenor - had she just married Harwin Strong off the bat everything would have been avoided.

Continuing to have children with Harwin Strong despite her marriage was also a terrible decision. She never appreciated how tenuous her position was and never took the necessary steps to cement her legitimacy. When she has her sojourn with Daemon into Flea Bottom she literally dismisses the opinions of the smallfolk, which is entirely in keeping with her character and is also entirely idiotic.
Harwin Strong wasn't on her radar as an option until after she was married/betrothed. So yeah she should have married him but it wasn't really gonna happen. Plus at that point he was a captain in the City Watch. Not necessarily a high enough position. Only became Commander when Daemon was sent away. Wasn't gonna happen.

Yeah true re: her recklessness there. But they tried multiple times for Laenor to impregnate her. Just didn't take. That's all.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

Welcome to the watch brother. Care for some brothel excursion tonite?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

Considering her legit husband is a ... You know... And in one episode they explained that they actually did try for what its worth

I think circumstances just dictates that. And it's not like she can visit a brothel as princess. Daemon was married at that time and Vyseris would not sanctioned it eitherway.

Without a hindsight i dont think what she did was out of question. I would in her shoes

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Was watching it with the missus and she was so excited for "next weeks episode" after the whole Vaemond/Lucerys incident.

Suffice to say she was pissed when I informed her this was the finale :lol:

The wait for season 2 is going to be a long one :(

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Harwin Strong wasn't on her radar as an option until after she was married/betrothed. So yeah she should have married him but it wasn't really gonna happen. Plus at that point he was a captain in the City Watch. Not necessarily a high enough position. Only became Commander when Daemon was sent away. Wasn't gonna happen.

Yeah true re: her recklessness there. But they tried multiple times for Laenor to impregnate her. Just didn't take. That's all.
True re: Strong not being top of mind, but we see her receiving suitors from the likes of House Dondarrion and House Blackwood - House Strong is certainly on par with those at this point in history given they hold Harrenhal and Harwin is the heir. But yes, this is conjecture and now that I think about it we only see Breakbones being on her radar after the brothel sojourn so perhaps the timing doesn't work and I'm being harsh.

Yeah I can appreciate that and also would agree that her priority needed to be having at least one kid to secure her succession, but after Jace were I her priorities 1, 2, and 3 would be having a kid that resembled my husband. Surely they have turkey basters in Westeros? :lol:

Considering her legit husband is a ... You know... And in one episode they explained that they actually did try for what its worth

I think circumstances just dictates that. And it's not like she can visit a brothel as princess. Daemon was married at that time and Vyseris would not sanctioned it eitherway.

Without a hindsight i dont think what she did was out of question. I would in her shoes
Yeah that's fair enough. Perhaps I'm overstating how poor of a decision it is in isolation, but I do think it's part of a broader pattern of her disregarding the opinions of those she considers to be under her.

Classical Mechanic

I'm team green. Eye patch is the don. Alas he'll probably meet his end at the hand of some dullard like Princess Rhaenys.

I think it's been a really good first season. It encompasses a lot of what I loved about GoT with the political intrigue and some great acting. The music and some of the cinematography is beautiful too. It isn't as fun as GoT, it's quite a lot more sombre and the characters generally seem more weighed down by the weight of their power and situations. There's no Bron or Tyrion, at least yet. I think there's a lot of promise for the next season with the other houses coming into play. The first season felt too restricted in that sense.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs

They did say she tried but it was the talk of the court how obvious it was that all three of her first kids weren't Laenor's. They should have made it a priority for at least one of the first two kids to be Laenors. Could have got Maester help in whatever form and she should have held off for a year or two with Strong while she tried with Laenor. I got the impression they might have tried once then she went right back to Strong rather than them making a concerted effort. Of course, it looks like Laenor deserves some blame too. He never seemed all that interested in keeping up appearances but when they knew their position as heir was threatened the instant Alicent gave birth to a son by Viserys, that really should have been their priority if they were looking to consolidate Rhaenyra's standing as heir.

I'd also add it was not very smart to send the younger of her sons off to the Stormlands with simply a letter reminding Baratheon of their promise. Anyone that grows up in Kings Landing should know that in situations like that, you have to make offers like Aemond did as marriage proposal. Rhaenyra still had younger kids that could have been offered in marriage to Baratheon and they certainly could have come ready to bargain rather than just reminding him of his oath and trying to intimidate with a really young dragon.

atkar83

Finally just started the first episode after season 1 has ended. I must say, I love what I'm seeing. I can understand why there are so many rave reviews. Now just hoping it doesn't end like Game of Thrones. :lol:
So long as the show runners don't decide to end 60 hours of a story that is about half way through in just 13 more episodes because they were bored of it, it shouldn't.

HBO never wanted to end GoT when it did. They wanted 10 seasons, which would have let them tell the story much better. Its such a disgrace because it was a once in a lifetime show, but the ending (really, season 6 on) was such a drop in quality that its hard to even recommend it to people anymore. HBO knows the luster the show lost, I think they'll change showrunners before allowing the quality in writing drop going forward.

EtH

I really don’t understand the rave reviews at all. The peripheral characters in GOT are infinitely more interesting than any of the main characters in HOD. There is just very little happening in this show.

tombombadil

So long as the show runners don't decide to end 60 hours of a story that is about half way through in just 13 more episodes because they were bored of it, it shouldn't.

HBO never wanted to end GoT when it did. They wanted 10 seasons, which would have let them tell the story much better. Its such a disgrace because it was a once in a lifetime show, but the ending (really, season 6 on) was such a drop in quality that its hard to even recommend it to people anymore. HBO knows the luster the show lost, I think they'll change showrunners before allowing the quality in writing drop going forward.
Yeah, heard about that drama behind the scenes. Seems GRR Martin is personally backing this show. So hope he gets to call the shots above the producers. Especially from what he's learnt before this.

Good stories. Good characters that you care about. Lots to love about the show so far.