Television House of the Dragon (GoT Prequel) - No book spoilers allowed

)_(

I had already suppressed all this pointless comic relief scenes with Tormund at the end. Can't believe they had time for that while rushing everything else.
Or even worse, Bronn. Just anything and everything about that character. Waited years to see the Starks reunited and for Jon and the rest of them to find out about his parentage, but instead we're spending time on Bronn and his brothels instead of literally anything else they could've and should've spent time on.

Chairman Steve

I think the ASOIAF universe is hard to sell unless you know GRRM penned it himself.

Otherwise it devolves into cheap fan fiction or generic high fantasy show.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
The ’cop-buddy’ thing sounds funny but in a way that’s actually the easiest way for them to make something appetizing out of this. Him and Tormund doing ‘monster of the week’ things with maybe one main mystery/evil looming, sort of like The Mandalorian is for Star Wars.

Without the framework of a book already in place, they can’t get too ambitious.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
They'll probably try and bring the white walkers back if they are wanting a Jon Snow show as it would be pretty boring to watch him and Tormund in retirement North of the wall with only a few hundred people.

It's not like they'd be hunted by the Nights Watch and there isn't enough people left to have conflict between themselves, so where would the danger be?

)_(

Of course :lol:
Just need to look at the WoT thread and even the lotr thread before its started
To be fair, this looks a cut above the rest. Which makes sense considering they've got 10+ years of GoT infrastructure to build on. Hopefully the show will be as good as its looked in the teaser trailers.

)_(

Less bombastic than the teaser but the quality of everything just looks top notch. They're more trying to tell a story through this one. Not sure if people who don't know understand what's going on with who is playing rhaenyra.

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Matt Smith just looks so hilariously out of place, then again that might be my personal bias as I never rated him as the Doctor either.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Can't wait for more book reader vs show watcher posts.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Solid trailer. I'm totally hyped for this.

I've missed the GoT world ever since the series finale in season 6.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
What specifically?
The whole thing, but Ill give you a couple of points that stood out to me. The story they appear to want to tell seems unfocused. The time jumps from episode to episode, and the supposed plans for the future jumping around in no linear fashion.

There are additional multiyear time jumps within the 10-episode season as well — a structure more like the way The Crown unfolds over the course of its entire run than like Thrones.
So they want to do over one season what another show did over its entire run...

Sources say the show’s civil war arc might be shorter than you might expect. While nothing is carved in stone, the current Targaryen storyline is currently plotted to run only about three or four seasons. But even that might not mark the end of the show. Dragoncould, in theory, then leap decades forward in time, or backward, to chronicle other major events in the Targaryen dynasty with an entirely new cast — such as exploring Aegon’s conquest or the Doom of Valyria.
Sounds like they should just be doing another show, rather than shoe horning in another story on top of another story.

And then theres this fecking peach.

“It was a social media backlash,” Bloys says, sounding weary of the subject. “I think in multiple parts of our society, we are reminding ourselves that Twitter is not real life. We knew it was going to be divisive and, of course, you want all fans to be happy, but that’s never going to happen. There weren’t a lot of people walking around despondent or upset. It’s a take that reads well but probably doesn’t fully reflect viewer feelings.”
In other words, they don't think theres anything wrong with season 8! And if they think theres nothing wrong with season 8, and its just a case of "you can't please everyone" thats about as big a red flag as it gets that this is going to be more badly written dog shit.

But hey, maybe Im wrong. Maybe Im just reading more into things being said. Im sure someone will charge me with that anyway. Would love to be proven wrong. Time will tell, I guess.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
This has the potential to be more disastrous than The Rings Of Power ..

)_(

The whole thing, but Ill give you a couple of points that stood out to me. The story they appear to want to tell seems unfocused. The time jumps from episode to episode, and the supposed plans for the future jumping around in no linear fashion.

So they want to do over one season what another show did over its entire run...

Sounds like they should just be doing another show, rather than shoe horning in another story on top of another story.

And then theres this fecking peach.

In other words, they don't think theres anything wrong with season 8! And if they think theres nothing wrong with season 8, and its just a case of "you can't please everyone" thats about as big a red flag as it gets that this is going to be more badly written dog shit.

But hey, maybe Im wrong. Maybe Im just reading more into things being said. Im sure someone will charge me with that anyway. Would love to be proven wrong. Time will tell, I guess.
Bloys is a HBO man, he has nothing to do with the show itself, he's not running the show and what else do you expect him to say? Oh no season 8 was absolute shit, we were wrong about everything, we bow before thee complainees?

Anthology series aren't new. I also don't know what possible future stories they might tell have to do with whether this one is a good one? And it makes a lot of sense if you read what they've said that there would be a time jump. They've said that by the time the actual war comes around they want you to know who these characters are, why they're fighting and what their relationships are before they jump into war. There's also no indication of future non linear time jump, pretty sure they've said in an interview that it will be linear.

The dance of the dragons is a story that has already been told by grrm, it's not unfocused, if anything it is more focused than anything got did.

If anything hearing/reading what the show runners have had to say has overall given me a positive impression, much more so than whenever d&d opened their mouths. They seem to have actually thought about the story, its themes and are less motivated by tits and dragons and less "hehe we have an inner teenage boy on set to make sure we include enough naked ladies hehehe." The fact that grrm himself contacted Condal and has been advocating for this story to be told for so many years and his very positive assessment make me more positive about it. And lord knows I'm a targaryen hater and was initially very annoyed that they were greenlighting hotd.

Wow this man really is a special snowflake.

VanDeBank

Ma’am

OMG no, tackling modern issues of race and sexual violence!!!!

Those things are never the subject of fantasy fiction. They didn't even exist in the past in the real world!

I stopped there :lol:
What an imbecile.

How warped your world view must be to link that crap unironically.

Norman Brownbutter

Bloys is a HBO man, he has nothing to do with the show itself, he's not running the show and what else do you expect him to say? Oh no season 8 was absolute shit, we were wrong about everything, we bow before thee complainees?

Anthology series aren't new. I also don't know what possible future stories they might tell have to do with whether this one is a good one? And it makes a lot of sense if you read what they've said that there would be a time jump. They've said that by the time the actual war comes around they want you to know who these characters are, why they're fighting and what their relationships are before they jump into war. There's also no indication of future non linear time jump, pretty sure they've said in an interview that it will be linear.

The dance of the dragons is a story that has already been told by grrm, it's not unfocused, if anything it is more focused than anything got did.

If anything hearing/reading what the show runners have had to say has overall given me a positive impression, much more so than whenever d&d opened their mouths. They seem to have actually thought about the story, its themes and are less motivated by tits and dragons and less "hehe we have an inner teenage boy on set to make sure we include enough naked ladies hehehe." The fact that grrm himself contacted Condal and has been advocating for this story to be told for so many years and his very positive assessment make me more positive about it. And lord knows I'm a targaryen hater and was initially very annoyed that they were greenlighting hotd.

Wow this man really is a special snowflake.
:lol:

PepG

Supports
Ajax
OMG no, tackling modern issues of race and sexual violence!!!!

Those things are never the subject of fantasy fiction. They didn't even exist in the past in the real world!

I stopped there :lol:
What an imbecile.

How warped your world view must be to link that crap unironically.
Like it or not man has a point.. I am firmly in the Anti-Woke camp so what this guy says (i have never seen or heard him before this video) is almost like i sad it and i am pretty confident with my views about the world, thank you very much haha Forced agenda is just that.. forced and i will NEVER accept that as a viewer no matter what.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Like it or not man has a point.. I am firmly in the Anti-Woke camp so what this guy says (i have never seen or heard him before this video) is almost like i sad it and i am pretty confident with my views about the world, thank you very much haha Forced agenda is just that.. forced and i will NEVER accept that as a viewer no matter what.
"Firmly in the anti-woke camp". Yeah, thanks for clearing that up :lol:

You remind me of that guy that listened to Rage against the Machine for 30 years and only recently realized he was the machine being raged at.

What do you think the whole point of the orcs, dwarves, elfs and different races were in 99% of the fantasy fiction you've consumed in your life?

)_(

Ok.
"Firmly in the anti-woke camp". Yeah, thanks for clearing that up :lol:

You remind me of that guy that listened to Rage against the Machine for 30 years and only recently realized he was the machine being raged at.

What do you think the whole point of the orcs, dwarves, elfs and different races were in 99% of the fantasy fiction you've consumed in your life?
Probably just best to ignore the troll at this point. They think everything that's not 100% about straight white dudes being awesome is woke agenda.

Sylar

Am confused by the criticisms of something that hasn't come out yet
The trailer looks good, the interviews seem focused and they have an idea of what they want to do.

Antiwoke isn't a serious term right?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
These guys make a living shitting on everything and spamming out videos non stop. Those are the videos that you should be clicking to ignore on youtube. I wouldn't listen to a word they say.

)_(

The trailer looks good, the interviews seem focused and they have an idea of what they want to do.

Yes, but if people can't complain what will they do with their day?

Only for clowns and trolls.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Ok.

Probably just best to ignore the troll at this point. They think everything that's not 100% about straight white dudes being awesome is woke agenda.
You'd be amazed at the amount of people that don't get layers/references in these types of works.

@PepG probably thought the ethnic tensions between the northerners in the original was Martin's own fantasy, not inspired by anything in the real world or history. His mind will be BLOWN when he realizes what the houses are based on.

Norman Brownbutter

It is, but not in the way that gets presented by people who can't see anything other than political talking points in everything that they do. Woke WAS something that was good, something to aspire to, something that challenged wide ranging thoughts and beliefs. Now its just something akin to virtue signalling. "look at me, I have a black gay guy on my show! How progressive am I?!". Instead what they should be doing is writing that black gay guy well and letting the character building and story elevate the character. Its not enough just to have representation, you also have to write them well.

An example of what woke used to mean is in the 90s there was this stereotype that black men were all absentee fathers. It obviously wasnt true, but everywhere in media there was young black men being portrayed as having no father figure in their lives and that this was why they had turned to a life of crime and drugs etc. So instead of making a bunch of shows and saying "look, we have a black dads. Aren't we stunning and brave for challenging the stereotype!?" they actually wrote TV dads that changed the stereotype forever. Not because they told us that they were, but because they showed us in the form of character like Uncle Phil, Carl Winslow, Ben Sisko. These are men with strong family values who take great pride in being fathers and all the responsibilities that come with that.

Woke used to be about challenging conventional thinking. Now its about twitter talking points and getting likes and follows. Which is bullshit. Women, LGBT, all minorities deserve better than being a tool to be used for some cnut in Hollywood to get internet clout.

The Orville vs new Star Trek. Both are woke, but one gets praise while the other gets shit on. Why? They are both pushing diversity and talking about modern day politics. So whats the difference? The difference is as I said, one is about challenging convention, and the other is looking for a pat on the back. Being anti woke means you are against people getting a pat on the back for not being assholes to people.

I believe 4chan is where the changing of the words meaning happened, Im not really sure as Ive never been on 4chan. But the word has moved from where it was. So when people say Star Trek was always woke, it was. But woke wasnt always what it means today. And if anyone has a problem with words changing their meanings over time and though input of action, I would draw your attention to "gay". Its used to mean nothing more than being happy. Now its whole other thing.

Diversity is good. Modern day talking points are good. Writing those thing badly and looking to get praise for it is not. The article above is talking about women being raped, straight white men being cnuts, black people getting racist abuse, pro nouns, diversity behind the camera, etc etc etc. Its all buzzwords and twitter talking points. Like the article was built to be be cut up, put on social media, and get all the likes and follows and whatever else.

Art has always reflected modern culture, but this wokeness isn't doing that. Its reflecting social media. And as we are, or should, be aware that twitter is not a real place. Its the high sparrow. He does good deeds, but in the end all he really wants is power and the world to reflect his personal views with no consideration for any others. Just look at the above comments dismissing anything that doesn't agree with their world view as trolls and clowns and best ignored. But lets be honest, if they could, they would silence those voices who don't agree with them. Next thing you know there mobs of people going after the unpure, marching them across the internet highway and shouting "shame! Shame! Shame!". God forbid they actually address the talking points. No better to become what they hate. Bullies. Call people names, shout them down, and dismiss them as lesser human beings. That is what modern day woke is, and that is why there is such a thing as anti woke.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
“They’ve really gone too far this time, they are spitting on GRRM’s grave *waves arm knocking down hundreds of funko pops* These people need to read a history book *makes objectively incorrect history claim while thousands of funko pops begin to flood the room* Talking race and gender is silly enough in the US but here in the international community where these concepts don’t exist? Give me a BREAK *millions of funko pops explode out of the building in a veritable tsunami of nerd rage* I’ll see you next week when I discuss how that power rangers show from the early 00s was the pinnacle of Saturday kids tv and everything since is Marxist forced agenda crap”

That video was particularly bad because he didn’t need to say “I haven’t read the book”, virtually all of the points he’s making are nonsensical if you know the source material. He’s got it painfully wrong.

)_(

@Norman Brownbutter Toussaint did get racially abused on twitter, Emma D'arcy used they/them pronouns so good idea to let people know this in an article, women did get raped (though got and George like to go overboard with this and in the case of got not include any other part of medieval "realism") some of the straight white men are cnuts but not sure where the articles specifically said this? That's on you that you thinking they're using it for internet clout rather than doing a better job at reflecting real life especially since you haven't actually seen it yet so you don't even know. Just foam at the mouth of any mention of anything pertaining to diversity. What I read in these articles are people who are actually thoughtful and considerate with the work they're adapting. Funnily enough they're now catching flack because of what they're saying about the inclusion of sexual violence in the show so definitely woke. :boring::boring::boring::boring: Maybe you should meet up with George's co-author on Fire and Blood Linda, you'll get along perfectly.

You'd be amazed at the amount of people that don't get layers/references in these types of works.

@PepG probably thought the ethnic tensions between the northerners in the original was Martin's own fantasy, not inspired by anything in the real world or history. His mind will be BLOWN when he realizes what the houses are based on.
Trust me, I've been on the internet long enough I'm not amazed by anything at this point :lol: Even the people who act like they've got phds in Martin's work don't seem to get a lot of the layers.

“They’ve really gone too far this time, they are spitting on GRRM’s grave *waves arm knocking down hundreds of funko pops* These people need to read a history book *makes objectively incorrect history claim while thousands of funko pops begin to flood the room* Talking race and gender is silly enough in the US but here in the international community where these concepts don’t exist? Give me a BREAK *millions of funko pops explode out of the building in a veritable tsunami of nerd rage* I’ll see you next week when I discuss how that power rangers show from the early 00s was the pinnacle of Saturday kids tv and everything since is Marxist forced agenda crap”

That video was particularly bad because he didn’t need to say “I haven’t read the book”, virtually all of the points he’s making are nonsensical if you know the source material. He’s got it painfully wrong.
Funnily enough the book readers have been overwhelmingly happy with everything so far. It's always the same with these types of people. Unfortunately one of Fire and Blood's co-authors is the exact same. Really don't understand why George keeps working with her, it's getting embarrassing at this point and not just because of this reason.

Norman Brownbutter

@Norman Brownbutter Toussaint did get racially abused on twitter, Emma D'arcy used they/them pronouns so good idea to let people know this in an article, women did get raped (though got and George like to go overboard with this and in the case of got not include any other part of medieval "realism") some of the straight white men are cnuts but not sure where the articles specifically said this? That's on you that you thinking they're using it for internet clout rather than doing a better job at reflecting real life especially since you haven't actually seen it yet so you don't even know. Just foam at the mouth of any mention of anything pertaining to diversity. What I read in these articles are people who are actually thoughtful and considerate with the work they're adapting. Funnily enough they're now catching flack because of what they're saying about the inclusion of sexual violence in the show so definitely woke. :boring::boring::boring::boring: Maybe you should meet up with George's co-author on Fire and Blood Linda, you'll get along perfectly.

Trust me, I've been on the internet long enough I'm not amazed by anything at this point :lol: Even the people who act like they've got phds in Martin's work don't seem to get a lot of the layers.

Funnily enough the book readers have been overwhelmingly happy with everything so far. It's always the same with these types of people. Unfortunately one of Fire and Blood's co-authors is the exact same. Really don't understand why George keeps working with her, it's getting embarrassing at this point and not just because of this reason.
Congrats on not reading a single word I said. I guess being angry and moaning is more fun or something.