Television House of the Dragon (GoT Prequel) - No book spoilers allowed

SuperiorXI

Jon snow is actually a shit character in the series. His acting is stiff and expressionless. Not the strongest character if not because he's the main lead.
I agree. They tried to make him like the Luke Skywalker of GOT but he's just got no charisma and isn't interesting enough.

b82REZ

The only way this can potentially work is if he's investigating the origins of the WWs.

Not sure how it works but a show about how happy people north of the wall will work.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Unless Ygritte comes back from the death it's a big fat no from me. Jon Snow is the lamest character in the show.

)_(

Terrible idea the show completely ruined his character and I imagine a sequel can only ruin things more.

Sylar

The guy is the only one who did this rumour
Guessing it's nonsense

flameinthesun

Jon Snow definitely is a bit dry by himself but the series did a good job of surrounding him with fun and weird characters. Reckon if you did the same with a sequel it would be fine. I actually like both the character and the actor and generally loved the storyline up north and beyond the wall.

)_(

The guy is the only one who did this rumour
Guessing it's nonsense
James Hibberd was the GoT guy when it was on, he spent a lot of time on set, had exclusive interviews and information, if anyone would know it's him but it could be that they're feeding him bs of course.

b82REZ

Jon Snow definitely is a bit dry by himself but the series did a good job of surrounding him with fun and weird characters. Reckon if you did the same with a sequel it would be fine. I actually like both the character and the actor and generally loved the storyline up north and beyond the wall.
But what are the stakes?

Is it just going to be him an Tormund reminiscing about the good ol' days?

The end of GoT basically implied that all other worldly threats had been dealt with and Jon always avoided the politics, plus the Wildlings had already made peace among their tribes and were living in harmony.

The only way it works is they trek north beyond the Lands of Always Winter and shenanigans ensue. Seems a little contrived for me.

flameinthesun

But what are the stakes?

The end of GoT basically implied that all other worldly threats had been dealt with and Jon always avoided the politics, plus the Wildlings had already made peace among their tribes and were living in harmony.

The only way it works is they trek north beyond the Lands of Always Winter and shenanigans ensue. Seems a little contrived for me.
With a world like the one in GoT there would be many opportunities to branch off. Go further north, they could go west and explore that area, maybe reunite with Arya.The tv series covers only a fraction of the lands, legends, monsters etc that the books do, a good writer could easily create something based on existing lore or create something new.

I would probably prefer something set many many years in the future in a different land. Maybe even set it far west in a brand new continent unexplored with its own lores etc then slowly progress them east towards westeros. Westeros could be almost a legend, myth to them.

So many opportunities to explore, just need to employ a good writing team.

b82REZ

With a world like the one in GoT there would be many opportunities to branch off. Go further north, they could go west and explore that area, maybe reunite with Arya.The tv series covers only a fraction of the lands, legends, monsters etc that the books do, a good writer could easily create something based on existing lore or create something new.

I would probably prefer something set many many years in the future in a different land. Maybe even set it far west in a brand new continent unexplored with its own lores etc then slowly progress them east towards westeros. Westeros could be almost a legend, myth to them.

So many opportunities to explore, just need to employ a good writing team.
That's all well and good but shoehorning Jon in as the main protagonist doesn't work with all these ideas.

I'd they want to explore what is west of Westeros make it an Arya spinoff. This stinks of the money men sitting around and concluding Kit Harrington is marketable enough to justify and unneeded spin off.

Like I said for it to make sense with the ending they created his only real story is to head to the Lands of Always Winter, but seeing as the WW are dead what are the stakes?

)_(

That's all well and good but shoehorning Jon in as the main protagonist doesn't work with all these ideas.

I'd they want to explore what is west of Westeros make it an Arya spinoff. This stinks of the money men sitting around and concluding Kit Harrington is marketable enough to justify and unneeded spin off.

Like I said for it to make sense with the ending they created his only real story is to head to the Lands of Always Winter, but seeing as the WW are dead what are the stakes?
It's going to be a cop buddy show with the moppy Jon Snow and the fun and lovable Tormund. The running jokes are how small Jon or his penis are or that he knows nothing, Jon Snow. Occasionally he'll wake up from his ptsd induced nightmares yelling "MY QUEEN" out into the night. Ghost will assist them until he's killed off because the cgi is too expensive and complicated, adding another trauma to Jon's list. But don't worry, we'll throw in some boobs and it'll be great.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I'm in if it begins with him waking from a funny dream he had just after the Battle of the Bastards, in which Bran became the King of Westeros.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
It's going to be a cop buddy show with the moppy Jon Snow and the fun and lovable Tormund. The running jokes are how small Jon or his penis are or that he knows nothing, Jon Snow. Occasionally he'll wake up from his ptsd induced nightmares yelling "MY QUEEN" out into the night. Ghost will assist them until he's killed off because the cgi is too expensive and complicated, adding another trauma to Jon's list. But don't worry, we'll throw in some boobs and it'll be great.
It’d be like a detective adventure as they follow clues around the world to find Arya, who was kidnapped. Basically the plot of The Witcher 3 (could even replace ”She’s muh Queen” with “Wind is howling”). Eventually they end up in Asshai only to find it was just a pleasure cruise and when Jon asks why she didn’t let anyone know she’d say “I guess I just sort of forgot “.

)_(

It’d be like a detective adventure as they follow clues around the world to find Arya, who was kidnapped. Basically the plot of The Witcher 3 (could even replace ”She’s muh Queen” with “Wind is howling”). Eventually they end up in Asshai only to find it was just a pleasure cruise and when Jon asks why she didn’t let anyone know she’d say “I guess I just sort of forgot “.
Or clues to find Drogon and to kill him, that's the one bit of unfinished business from GoT. But there definitely will be something someone forgot, most likely the producers/writers.

Sylar

How many times did you watch GoT all the way through?
I've seen season 8 twice. Once live and then a second when it showed on sky Atlantic last year .

The second time really is a good way to show how the dialogue basically drops.

Jon actually was a really interesting character until the battle of bastards. Even season 7 had intrigue with him not wanting to bend the knee. The the boat sex happened :lol:

James Hibberd was the GoT guy when it was on, he spent a lot of time on set, had exclusive interviews and information, if anyone would know it's him but it could be that they're feeding him bs of course.
Read he also said that they were doing a series on Roberts rebellion which was proven to be false
Who knows , guess we will see

atkar83

As for House of the Dragon, I've been listening to the audible for 'Fire & Blood' lately, is the show based on that book? I hope not, I want to be suprised by the storytelling. I'm sure the Red Wedding had much more of an impact to non-readers compared to those that saw it coming.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I've seen season 8 twice. Once live and then a second when it showed on sky Atlantic last year .

Jon actually was a really interesting character until the battle of bastards. Even season 7 had intrigue with him not wanting to bend the knee. The the boat sex happened :lol:

Read he also said that they were doing a series on Roberts rebellion which was proven to be false
It was on my second watch through that I realised just how awful the dialogue between Dani & Jon is in S7&8. Some of it is genuinely painful. Shame because both characters are really enjoyable other than that. People saying Jon’s too wooden, but he’s supposed to be a wooden stoic bastard

b82REZ

As for House of the Dragon, I've been listening to the audible for 'Fire & Blood' lately, is the show based on that book? I hope not, I want to be suprised by the storytelling. I'm sure the Red Wedding had much more of an impact to non-readers compared to those that saw it coming.
Well stop listening to it...

It's been widely reported the prequel spin offs are based on the World of Ice and Fire and Fire and Blood books.

Martin has spent more time recently fleshing out the Westerosi lore than actually finishing the series that spawned it.

SuperiorXI

:lol: wtf, I was about to post that. They need to stop milking this dead GOT cow, season 8 was such a massive disappointment, nothing will redeem
They could do a head in cornflakes moment, Bran wakes up with milk all over his head and Hodor walks in

"Hahaha you thought you could remote control birds you little shite get tae feck" and it continues from about season 4 ish

)_(

The Robert's Rebellion thing was getting a HBO prequel mixed up with a stage show. Hibberd is as good a source as any. He could still be wrong of course but he's more reliable than anyone else other than, you know, hearing it from HBO or GRRM directly.

Yes, they've been very clear about this from the start. It's about the Dance of the Dragons, so if you don't want to be spoiled stop reading.

atkar83

Well stop listening to it...

It's been widely reported the prequel spin offs are based on the World of Ice and Fire and Fire and Blood books.

Martin has spent more time recently fleshing out the Westerosi lore than actually finishing the series that spawned it.
I'm basically about 90% through that section of the story so I'll stop. I hadn't been paying attention to any of the news bits other than the trailers posted here. Its a solid storyline, they need to go at the GOT season 1-4 story pace though, not the seasons 6-8 pace where entire armies would move from one side of Westeros to the other in the same episode.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
A Jon Snow sequel without any book material as a base sounds terrible.

lsd

The Oracle

I don't know it's the only way I could go back to the show.

They spent do much time on his character and who he really was. To then have no pay off at all was just a horrible call by the makers.

)_(

I don't know it's the only way I could go back to the show.

They spent do much time on his character and who he really was. To then have no pay off at all was just a horrible call by the makers.
The pay off was Dany being mad about it which is what 90% of the things that happened in season 8 were about and Jon wearing some tattered clothing. It would be nice to know how Jon actually feels about all of it though, you know, the thing fans had actually been waiting years for... but I don't think the risk is worth it :lol: The chances of them fecking up the character even more are infinitely higher than them actually improving and fixing what they did in those final two seasons.

Jon is one of the most popular characters but everyone also thinks he's boring, it's a confusing one. Honestly, they never really did anything with Jon in the show , they completely cut any type of morally grey aspects from his story and made him simpler than they think Ned Stark is. Can't imagine which way a story with him would even go, and I'm sure Kit Harington is a lovely fella but I'd definitely put him at the bottom of the list of being able to carry his own show with a character like Jon. It'll probably end up being some kind of one off comedy skit or something.

lsd

The Oracle
The pay off was Dany being mad about it which is what 90% of the things that happened in season 8 were about and Jon wearing some tattered clothing. It would be nice to know how Jon actually feels about all of it though, you know, the thing fans had actually been waiting years for... but I don't think the risk is worth it :lol: The chances of them fecking up the character even more are infinitely higher than them actually improving and fixing what they did in those final two seasons.

Jon is one of the most popular characters but everyone also thinks he's boring, it's a confusing one. Honestly, they never really did anything with Jon in the show , they completely cut any type of morally grey aspects from his story and made him simpler than they think Ned Stark is. Can't imagine which way a story with him would even go, and I'm sure Kit Harington is a lovely fella but I'd definitely put him at the bottom of the list of being able to carry his own show with a character like Jon. It'll probably end up being some kind of one off comedy skit or something.

The one thing worries me about it would be Kit I agree but surround him with the right people and give him a proper storyline which they ultimately failed to do on Games and I would certainly give it a chance.

Fully Fledged

But what are the stakes?

Westeros is a mess after the GoT series.
Maybe Essosi slave traders come over and try to take over.
Maybe Drogon comes back with an army of kids to avenge his mother.
Maybe Jon is pissed at being forced to rejoin the Nights Watch and attacks to claim the throne for himself.

Sylar

They made that comment in s6 (and even before) that coming back from the dead takes something away from you
They even hinted in s7 with the line about him being stabbed in the heart or whatever it was when (iirc) dany met jon
That was pretty much ignored

Such a shame as it could have added a good layer to his character

b82REZ

Maybe Jon is pissed at being forced to rejoin the Nights Watch and attacks to claim the throne for himself.
These all sound so contrived and unfitting for the ending we saw, especially the last one.

)_(

Jon literally spent the entirety of season 8 talking about how he doesn't want it and specifically killed Dany to protect his family why would he suddenly attack Westeros to claim the throne from his own cousin? Now if he'd done it in season 8 that would've been something else, would've loved to see a dance of dragons happen then when it would've made sense.

They made that comment in s6 (and even before) that coming back from the dead takes something away from you
They even hinted in s7 with the line about him being stabbed in the heart or whatever it was when (iirc) dany met jon
That was pretty much ignored

Such a shame as it could have added a good layer to his character
They tried too hard to make Jon the goodest guy to ever good when he just looked like a fool in the latter half of season 7 and the entirety of season 8. They could've done a lot of interesting things with that. He got killed by his own men and returned from the dead, that's gotta do something to a person but instead they might as well have ignored that part of the books for all the impact it had. I mean the original season 7 script had Jon bare his chest to Dany on the cliffs of Dragonstone and talk about how special they both are... so in that sense I'm glad they ended up choosing to ignore that bit if that's what they would've used it for.

The one thing worries me about it would be Kit I agree but surround him with the right people and give him a proper storyline which they ultimately failed to do on Games and I would certainly give it a chance.
I think he's been decent in some other stuff I've seen him in, he was in some Henry VI play recently not sure how he was in that. GoT basically told him "stand there and brood" don't think they even tried to give him something challenging and interesting to do in GoT so who knows how it would've worked out if they had. Either way I just don't see them doing what needs to be done with the character after those final two season to make a sequel worthwhile, and I don't want them to ruin more than they've already done which considering HBO's trackrecord is more likely. I want them to leave the GoT characters alone and just do any of the 93483 other stories they could possibly make from GRRM's IP if they wanna expand the GoT universe.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Really don't like the idea of this proposed Jon Snow sequel. Just leave these characters alone. I can't imagine there being a strong appetite from fans to visit these characters again after the shit show that was seasons 7 and 8. The reason why I'm sort of looking forward to House of Dragon is that it takes place way before the events of Game of Thrones with new characters and stories. It's in that world, but far enough removed that it hasn't got that stink on it.

There's so much more you can do with this world, you really don't need to revisit these characters again. It's like the Star Wars problem, where every fecking piece of Star Wars media has to shoehorn in Luke, Vader, Solo - whatever. Explore other aspects of the universe.

Zen86

How about Jon and Tormund solving mysteries north of the wall? Maybe they live together and get up to all sorts of shinanigans every week.

Sylar

How about Jon and Tormund solving mysteries north of the wall? Maybe they live together and get up to all sorts of shinanigans every week.
Full on 30 minute comedy with laughter sound track

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
I had already suppressed all this pointless comic relief scenes with Tormund at the end. Can't believe they had time for that while rushing everything else.