How bad do we really think it is?

Partridge

So many random elements, that it is hard to predict. As of right now, were a 6. A mess, again, but despite my negative thoughts, i'm sweeping aside this current coming season, as it's going to be bedding in new players, learning new ways to play etc. Not gonna predict where we finish. Too many variables.

PointlessDribbles

A 5? I believe we'll get De Jong and one or two ther players. I am most of all excited about The Hag, he has this look about him that just instills belief in me. More than anything I think Ten Hag will be able to lift the group of players we have. We likely won't get a top 4 finish, but I'd be happy with steady progress. I want the star of our team to be our manager! Not a bunch of spoiled individualistic primadonnas.

The_Dark_Knight

This thread should have a trigger warning with the number of the Samaritans.

The squad isn't nearly as bad as people are making out. The style (or lack thereof) of the team under Ole (then RR) have gotten into people's heads and it's convinced them that the quality of these players are relegation standard.

From what I've seen and heard, the general play will be fast paced and perpetual movevent. ETH is obsessed about detail and he has a crystal clear vision.

I, for one, am excited about the new season. I'm positive that once ETH conveys his philosophy to the squad, we'll see what we haven't seen since SAF. Which Is an entertaining and winning brand of football.

Plus, ETH looks like a guy who you wouldn't want on the bad side of.

All in all, I can't wait till the pre-season matches begin.

Cathy Ferguson

The squad isn't nearly as bad as people are making out. The style (or lack thereof) of the team under Ole (then RR) have gotten into people's heads and it's convinced them that the quality of these players are relegation standard.

From what I've seen and heard, the general play will be fast paced and perpetual movevent. ETH is obsessed about detail and he has a crystal clear vision.

I, for one, am excited about the new season. I'm positive that once ETH conveys his philosophy to the squad, we'll see what we haven't seen since SAF. Which Is an entertaining and winning brand of football.

The issue is that not enough of our players can play fast paced one touch football. They are either too slow, lack stamina or do not have the first touch. Liverpool's tactics are not rocket science, anyone can see how they play. The key is to scout players who can play the tactics.

Still I am very excited to see what ETH can do with these players and hopefully 3-4 quality signings.

Caesar2290

The issue is that not enough of our players can play fast paced one touch football. They are either too slow, lack stamina or do not have the first touch. Liverpool's tactics are not rocket science, anyone can see how they play. The key is to scout players who can play the tactics.

Still I am very excited to see what ETH can do with these players and hopefully 3-4 quality players.
And why do you think that is?

You want to tell me that some cast offs and unknowns from Brighton can and yet our squad can't?

Every technical liability is a coaching issue. The reason our squad doesn't play 1 touch footy is because they haven't been drilled and instructed on how to do it as a team. I expect EtH to correct that.

Caesar2290

Absolutely this. Chelsea looked like relegation candidates for a good chunk of the season, before Conte won the title with that core of players.

As it stands it's more of a moral issue.

Players with very high morale will outperform their mean on a consistent basis. Players with low morale will struggle to attain their average on a consistent basis.

Once EtH fixes the moral issue, we will look like a brand new squad.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
I am going to go for a 6. That means that there is still, in theory, a long way we can fall, but I am hopeful this Summer is the base from which we will build. Even if it means waiting for the next transfer window to bring in the long-term targets to improve the squad.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Unless ETH is a miracle worker we won’t get top 4 this season.
I can't see the top 4 changing. Spurs look like they mean business and Chelsea are about to go on a spending spree of their own.

Our best chance of getting into the CL will be winning the EL.

However I'm prepared for another season out of the CL along as we are making progress and playing good football that is exciting to watch. Klopp didn't get CL football in his first season at Liverpool.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I don't know why you got warned for having an opinion. But I can't see how we can be worse than last season. And yet, although we finished last out of the big 6 clubs, we still finished above everyone else. Relegation form is a huge exaggeration.
I agree we can't be worse than last season - at times my love of the club and football was severely test for the first time ever (more than 50 years of support) but during the run-in when we should have been pushing for fourth spot, the loses at Everton and Palace were truly woeful, the failure to beat Watford was an embarrassment and the thumping Liverpool was horrible to watch.

But it was the manner of the defeat at a poor Arsenal that made us look like relegation fodder. However, I agree saying "relegation form" was a bit far-fetched

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I can't see the top 4 changing. Spurs look like they mean business and Chelsea are about to go on a spending spree of their own.

Our best chance of getting into the CL will be winning the EL.

However I'm prepared for another season out of the CL along as we are making progress and playing good football that is exciting to watch. Klopp didn't get CL football in his first season at Liverpool.
I agree that the EL is our best bet and I would accept (not quite "settle for") looking like a team again and playing good football. I'd add that making some progress in a domestic cup competition would be nice - it's just sad how far we have fallen that this is all we expect. Of course, any progress depends on strengthening the team/squad - which we still haven't done yet

RedAlert27

You want to tell me that some cast offs and unknowns from Brighton can and yet our squad can't?

Every technical liability is a coaching issue. The reason our squad doesn't play 1 touch footy is because they haven't been drilled and instructed on how to do it as a team. I expect EtH to correct that.
I would not say EVERY technical liability is a coaching issue. Getting the likes of Maguire and Wan Bissaka to play one touch football in training would be a hard job for the best coaches in the world. I also think a lot of our squad are limited in their abilities, and are lacking players who can do a bit of everything. Interesting to see whether Ten Hag can prove this wrong though..

Anustart89

Can’t you just make the scale go from 1 to 20 with 18-20 meaning relegation and then rename the thread “predict our league position next season”?

moodyred

Just be realistic. Hope our fans truly gives ETH a proper chance to implement his ideas and not start crying for heads etc after a series of losses (which I feel is unavoidable).

Season 1 under ETH is probably one of maintaining stability. Finishing just out of top 4 may be a reality this season. I am expecting to finish 6th.

Prior to Ronaldo handing in a transfer request/not turning up for training I was a 3, possible top 4, good run in cups possible Europa league win
Minus his 20+ goals per season I am down to a 5 unless we sign a top class striker(Who???)
If we play the season with Martial/Rashford/Charlie McNeill as our centre forward options we will be lucky to finish 6th, could drop as low as 10th.
Perhaps Bruno will work as a false 9 but I remain to be convinced.
Another season of struggle beckons as ETH embeds his style and (hopefully) improves some of our underperforming players.

RatPack

With the way things are going I am just hoping to be in the top half.

But hopefully we will make a couple of great signings. I just do not see who as I do not think De Jong or Antony are coming.

This is more looking like the previous transfer windows.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Prior to Ronaldo handing in a transfer request/not turning up for training I was a 3, possible top 4, good run in cups possible Europa league win
Minus his 20+ goals per season I am down to a 5 unless we sign a top class striker(Who???)
If we play the season with Martial/Rashford/Charlie McNeill as our centre forward options we will be lucky to finish 6th, could drop as low as 10th.
Perhaps Bruno will work as a false 9 but I remain to be convinced.
Another season of struggle beckons as ETH embeds his style and (hopefully) improves some of our underperforming players.
of that trio, I'd give McNeil a run, simply because he'll be more hungry. But I've been saying for more than two years that we need a top, top goal-scorer at No.9 (ronaldo isn't and never will be a true No.9)

Lentwood

I think expectations should be similar to those going into last season to be honest.

We're still nowhere near City or Liverpool but we still have a fighting chance of competing with Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal for 3rd/4th place and we have an outside chance of picking up a cup with a good tailwind.

The fact we performed so poorly last season was down first and foremost to Ole's complete inability to implement any tactic that wasn't a 4-2-3-1 counter which was then compounded by appointing a coach with completely different ideas midway through the season whilst the morale of the squad was at an all-time low.

Had we just stuck Carrick in until the end of the season and reverted to the somewhat negative but effective 4-2-3-1, I think personally we would have limped into 4th

wolvored

Agree. Coaching and developing is the key.TH will soon shift players that cant do it and buy/promote those that can.

Cathy Ferguson

McFred, AWB, Rashford, Elanga are weak technically. I doubt ETH can drastically improve that.

I think you underestimate the scouting process of Brighton a lot.

Tavern in the town

McFred, AWB, Rashford, Elanga are weak technically. I doubt ETH can drastically improve that.

He’s been fecking shite for a year but I don’t see how anyone can think Rashford is weak technically.

AndySmith1990

I'm suddenly feeling very positive about the season.

Getting rid of egos/fools like Pogba, Lingard, and Ronaldo will massively improve the team spirit, in my humble opinion

And of course we've hired one of the most exiting managers in football.

We're going to make 3-4 more signings that will fit Ten Hag's style.

It should be a good season of football with significantly more entertaining football

Green_Red

I don`t think things are too bad , as a club we should make enough to service the debt and still be able to pay out dividends to our owners so nothing to worry about really.
The club made a loss of £92million in 20/21 season. We can't sign players, and the ones we have want out. Things are pretty grim.

Andy_Cole

I don’t know. Hag is a revolutionary manager. He’s taking a sledgehammer on a lot behind the scenes. Short term, this could fail miserably. If it doesn’t work short term, he may be out of a job. Media and fan pressure is so high at United, plus egos in the dressing room with leaks etc. It’s such a difficult job.

Add to this he may not be backed in the window (TBC) plus our best player now wanting out right before preseason. Plus the season starting early. Plus Pochettino lurking with his groupies such as Gary Neville championing him. It could be horrible.

I’m fearful. Anyway, Hag was the one I wanted, more important than any signing we could make. More so than signing Haaland. I’m hoping this will work out for us. Sadly after 9 years of hurt I’m a pessimist.

SungSam7

At this current moment, we are lucky to be 3 out of 10, basically if we get Europa League its a success.

We have lost 3 midfielders, 1 is returning and the club is faffing about with 1 player. No talk about getting closer with anyone other targets.

ETH needs a RB, CB, LB, CM, CM, RW, ST, ST.

Thats 8 players we need to bring in, less than 2 months left in the window, we haven't even signed the guy we have spent 1 month trying to sign.

Cathy Ferguson

Even with de Jong and Martinez in CM we would struggle to get top 4. Winning the EL is our best chance of CL next season.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
2-3 think 4th 5th but a lot closer with much improved football. Also EL win
Even with de Jong and Martinez in CM we would struggle to get top 4. Winning the EL is our best chance of CL next season.
Why do people think that winning the EL is like a walk in the park?
This trophy is incredibly difficult to win and statistically, if we entered the EL competition 10 times, we'd probably win it once. BUT, with the team how it is today, winning a trophy is near impossible.
I actually believe that getting top 4 would be easier than winning the EL.

6th place would be a decent finish.
5th place would be good.
4th would be a fantastic achievement for ETH.

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona
To be honest, I thought last season that you had the second best squad in the world by names. Only behind PSG. It was really unlucky how bad some otherwise good players played last season. If you can get those players back to the level they have already shown before and add 3 or 4 new ones in key positions I think you can easily finish top 4.
You have one of the best managers in the world. If he can get Bruno, Sancho, Fred, VDB, Shaw, Rashford, etc. To play their best you will be a top side again even without big signings.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
To be honest, I thought last season that you had the second best squad in the world by names. Only behind PSG. It was really unlucky how bad some otherwise good players played last season. If you can get those players back to the level they have already shown before and add 3 or 4 new ones in key positions I think you can easily finish top 4.
You have one of the best managers in the world. If he can get Bruno, Sancho, Fred, VDB, Shaw, Rashford, etc. To play their best you will be a top side again even without big signings.
I had to read and reread this sentence. Still can't believe my eyes.

laughtersassassin

If we rule out Ronaldo our current best possible eleven includes Dalot, Maguire, Shaw, McT, Fred, Rashford and Elanga/Martial. It's fecking terrible, worst we've ever been in living memory.

Even ETH, Klopp and Pep together wouldn't get such a stonkingly shit team into the top six let alone top four.
This lad has it spot on.

Look at those players. We are in the absolute gutter.

TheReligion

Abusive
of that trio, I'd give McNeil a run, simply because he'll be more hungry. But I've been saying for more than two years that we need a top, top goal-scorer at No.9 (ronaldo isn't and never will be a true No.9)
McNeil isn’t ready yet. If you’d watched much of him you’d see that.

TheReligion

Abusive
If we rule out Ronaldo our current best possible eleven includes Dalot, Maguire, Shaw, McT, Fred, Rashford and Elanga/Martial. It's fecking terrible, worst we've ever been in living memory.

Even ETH, Klopp and Pep together wouldn't get such a stonkingly shit team into the top six let alone top four.
Depends how long you’ve been watching United for really

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
Im getting on a bit, lived through the Sixties so I ingested a few substances, played rugby for 45 years (hence possible brain damage) but I honestly think that under ETH, some of the ''lost''players like Rashford, Sancho, Donny - possibly even Martial - might just get it on and surprise everyone

Caesar2290

Rashford is weak technically and can't play 1 touch passing :lol:

1 touch passing isn't about technique, it's about concentration and movement, both of which can be improved with training. The reason our lot can't play 1 toach passing, is the same reason our lot can't form consistent attacking plays or hold the defensive line. All of which are a symptom of poor coaching.

lex talionis

The impact of a manager who knows what he's doing and isn't a sociopath can't be overstated. I'm not sure what the relevance of the question in the OP is, but if what's really being asked is where we're land in the final table -- and at this point we've only brought in a backup LB so there's a long way to go with transfer activity -- I really do believe we can finish in the top four AND win the EL cup. All things considered I'll take that right now. But what I really want to see is for us to put in a proper challenge for the PL and CL trophies next season.

Wheato

Bringing in an aggressive, attacking full back in the guise of Paddy Evra for 15m is good business.
Getting 10m for our pre season Pirlo ( Andreas Pereira ) is good business.
Signing a quality midfielder who can keep the ball, pass, score, assist and take set pieces on a free is good business

It has been a good week. Ronaldo will go on the tour on Friday and nothing more will be said about it.

De Jong, Martinez and possibly Antony and we will be in much better place than we were last season. Oh, and a proper manager with a system.

Top 4 is a certainty.

meamth

First time in many years I don't expect good things from Manchester United, might surprise me.