How Blackburn Rovers won the 1994/1995 Premier League - A Tactical Analysis...

Grande

He didn't want to play? I thought he was injured.
Kanchelskis later told he had built up serious gambling debts to dangerous people, and he depended on being sold on to avoid catastrophe, as I remember it.

Alan Shearer really was international class around that time, which he showed for England as well. Still, what annoyed me the most, was how he’d constantly get away with climbing on defenders backs with outstreched arms, and falling deftly to get pens when pushed in the ordinary English way, scoring loads, whereas Mark Hughes would take a thousand beatings refusing to go down, and Cantona had the entire FA refs and all on his back. Which played no small role in that season.

Blackburn’s style was not unlike how Ferguson set up Aberdeen ten years earlier, and they had the perfect players for it. But it was way too simplistic in Europe.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
He did his knee ligaments in 1992.

And his ankle ligaments in 1997.

So it was in between those two huge injuries.

For me physically he wasnt the same world class player after 1997
If he wasn't the same post 1997 and he still scored a shit load of goals he must have been a monster before then.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I watched them in their champions league campaign where they were in the same group as Spartak and remember being very surprised at how lacking in technique and basic tactically they were, outplayed or struggling to create anything for large parts of almost every game. Shearer was wasteful and unimpressive. In retrospect the form that won them the league was long gone, but i didn't know that at the time.

The spartak team from that era along with lobanovsky's final Kyiv team was probably the last time an ex-ussr team was offering innovative tactical ideas in certain areas at CL level. In the games with Blackburn their ideas in possession looked at least a generation ahead of the opposition, with the short passing midfield techno-midgets and very good on the ball, aggressive cb's running riot despite a bad quality winter pitch that should have favoured Blackburn's tactics.

That was also the game where Batty and Le Saux had to be seperated.

Spartak was miles ahead of them on a technical and tactical level. What stood out for me from the highlights was the commentator calling every time Alenichev had the ball Alenikov.

Wasn’t this season or the season before where Spartak reached the semifinals?

Where would you rank Romantsev compared to a Lobanovsky, Beskov or Malofeyev?

Sometimes I have the impression Romantsev is clearly underrated compared to Lobanovsky job at Dynamo, but the number of players developed by him and Lobanovsky who played in other top leagues in Europe deserve a discussion.

Alenichev, Mostovoi, Kulkov, Karpin, Onopko, Nikiforov, etc. He reached what, 3 European semifinals with Spartak?

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Spartak was miles ahead of them on a technical and tactical level. What stood out for me from the highlights was the commentator calling every time Alenichev had the ball Alenikov.

Wasn’t this season or the season before where Spartak reached the semifinals?

Where would you rank Romantsev compared to a Lobanovsky, Beskov or Malofeyev?

Sometimes I have the impression Romantsev is clearly underrated compared to Lobanovsky job at Dynamo, but the number of players developed by him and Lobanovsky who played in other top leagues in Europe deserve a discussion.

Alenichev, Mostovoi, Kulkov, Karpin, Onopko, Nikiforov, etc. He reached what, 3 European semifinals with Spartak?
They lost the quarter final after losing a few key players in the january transfer window, most importantly Onopko and Kulkov in defensive midfield who had formed a great partnership and gave them the defensive solidity they usually lacked. Kulkov went to Millwall in a farce of a transfer, him and Yuran played them for fools to get pissed in the London nightclubs when millwall thought they had made a great transfer coup that would get them promoted.

I think Romantsev showed excellent potential as a young manager during the late-80s-early 90s, his teams were always very skillful in possession, however he was tactically stubborn and never had much interest in the defensive side of the sport. Ultimately far too idealistic for a selling club and the squads he was managing, that only usually had 4-5 players at most that were gifted players comfortable at the highest level then a big drop off, with no money to plug in the gaps that were stopping the team from consistently competing. He developed a big drinking problem at some point and declined season by season after this campaign as it had became more obvious, until complete trainwreck in the early '00s. Taking on the double role of national team manager was imo too much for him and his tactics started going all over the place, plus feuding with various players. To be fair if his teams had the money that Zenit have squandered over the last 15 years, he'd have a good chance at being higher regarded.

Not on the same level as lobanovsky and i'd rate Beskov higher too for his overall career, though as Spartak managers they were similar. Malofeev was good for a few years then unable to sustain it. I get the impression he was really mostly just a good man-manager and let the players organise a lot of the details, but i've watched far less of his club teams. His career was not really that notable other than 2 or 3 seasons.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Credit to Dalglish because he got a lot of players working to their strengths. Hendry and Le Saux were pretty much the best in their position that season. But it was the quality of the strike partnership that bullied the league and really made the difference. Sutton was in his element with that direct style of football and a tremendous strike partner for any centre-forward. Shearer was in his absolute prime, when he still had the pace to threaten over the shoulder, but if you backed off he could score from distance, while both of them were as good as it gets in attacking crosses into the penalty box.
How would you compare Shearer to Kane? in terms of attributes and potency... would Shearer be as effective in the modern game?

Giggsyking

We all love Andy Cole, but lets face it, he fecked up big time at that time.

Robertd0803

Tactical analysis :mad: We couldnt beat West Ham thats why they won the fecking league.

GueRed

How would you compare Shearer to Kane? in terms of attributes and potency... would Shearer be as effective in the modern game?
Shearer is Kane with aggression and was more forceful with his personality on the pitch. At Blackburn Rovers he was alot more mobile and explosive than Kane ever was.

Shearer was also a cnut on the pitch. A winner.

GueRed

We all love Andy Cole, but lets face it, he fecked up big time at that time.
And he knew it too. His confidence was knocked and seeked help with a psychiatrist that summer.

He said it took him a good 18 months to get over it.

They won the league, fair play to them. Shearer was unplayable that year
I remember listening to a lot of Blackburn games on the radio that season, hoping they drop points. It was a nightmare to listen to...seemingly every few minutes, the commentators would scream SHEARER as he came close to scoring from a half chance. Really hammered home how dangerous he was at that time.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I remember listening to a lot of Blackburn games on the radio that season, hoping they drop points. It was a nightmare to listen to...seemingly every five minutes, the commentators would scream SHEARER as he came close to scoring. Really hammered home how dangerous he was at that time.
Yeah he was different class that year. Pity he chose Newcastle

JSArsenal

We lost the league by one point and drew loads of games 0-0 during that period. Had Cantona not been suspended and Kanchelskis walked out because his Russian mafia agents told him to down tools, we'd have gotten the extra point to win us the league.

Everyone who blames Andy Cole for that West Ham came seem to forget his goals against Leicester, Coventry and Southampton in the lead up to actually keep us in it.
What is this about Kanchelskis? Was he really owned by Russian mobsters?

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
If he wasn't the same post 1997 and he still scored a shit load of goals he must have been a monster before then.
He was.

Actually, I thought he was at his absolute best just before his first serious injury.

He just didn’t miss chances and that included all types of chance. Inside, outside the box, chips, volleys, headers. His hold up was good because his touch was sharp. Brilliant at diving/winning penalties too. He was the best crosser at the club at the time (in a team that relied on crosses).

He was a bit daft going to Newcastle in his peak years, could have done that later and still been a hero there. He should have gone somewhere and won loads of medals.

Last edited:

JSArsenal

He was.

Actually, I thought he was at his absolute best just before his first serious injury.

He just didn’t miss chances and that included all types of chance. Inside, outside the box, chips, volleys, headers. His hold up was good because his touch was sharp. Brilliant at diving/winning penalties too. He was the best crosser at the club at the time (in a team that relied on crosses).

He was a bit daft going to Newcastle in his peak years, could have done that later and still been a hero there. He should have gone somewhere and won loads of medals.
I think Wenger's arrival really messed up Newcastle. Chances are without Wenger transforming English football, maybe United's standards slip slightly in 1998 and Newcastle take advantage and win the league themselves.

FujiVice

Fergie tried to buy Shearer again in 1999, when Gullit tried to do a power play and dropped him. And literally the following game after Gullit was sacked scored 5 goals. Genuinely reckon we'd have won another Champions League with him in the side, even after his goalscoring prime. He was an unreal pro and we were in a much better position to manage his games.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I'd say @GueRed nailed it: more aggressive holding the ball in and attacking deliveries into the box. Peak Shearer would be absolutely fine in a modern set-up that was built around his needs. Imagine him playing up front for Liverpool getting on the end of crosses from Robertson and Trent. Even up against the rugged British centre-halves of his era, who traded in the meat-and-drink of crosses and headers, he still plundered goals. Nowadays I reckon he'd routinely bully the more slender-built centre-halves with any delivery from out wide. That said in a theoretical Liverpool attack, he wouldn't replicate Firmino as I don't think he'd suit a supporting false 9 gig. Fundamentally he always wanted to be the point of the attack and his partnership with Owen later in his career didn't always catch fire as they'd often make the same runs. Otherwise though he had all the armoury and range of tools - pace, hold-up game, strength, intelligence, movement, finishing short and long - to threaten that would make him just as effective today.

galwayfa

Think shearer mastered the bullying and was born with the brilliance, obviously honed and worked on in training and game time, Kane never had to as they had that bit more protection from refs, only the best survived when they could look after themselves, imo peak shearer beats most centre forwards in my time watching English football,

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

Dalglish's side set up in a old school 4-4-2 but it was quite different to the enthralling Manchester United model with audacious wing play and a silky player featuring as part of the attacking duo - his Blackburn was tenacious throughout the side although his flanks did have some quality in terms of delivery from wide positions.

Key players included the likes of Tim Flower - a colossus between the sticks, Colin Hendry, the underrated Scot who also won a treble with Rangers in 1999, the silky Graeme Le Saux who operated as a playmaker from the full back position, Tim Sherwood - yes Tim fecking Sherwood > Zidane, and the deadly duo up front Shearer and Sutton.

Thoughts on how good this side was? How dangerous was Shearer in this phase and how high would you rate him amongst the striking greats based on this period of his game?
Henning Berg appreciation post.

432JuanMata

They had the greatest goalscorer in PL in incredible form that season. We really helped them too. I’m glad they won it now(not at the time) as they are a different name on the title and was the greatest PL winners story until Leicester

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Shearer was unreal in his prime.

stevoc

Fergie tried to buy Shearer again in 1999, when Gullit tried to do a power play and dropped him. And literally the following game after Gullit was sacked scored 5 goals. Genuinely reckon we'd have won another Champions League with him in the side, even after his goalscoring prime. He was an unreal pro and we were in a much better position to manage his games.
I've always believed if we'd have signed him in 96 we probably would have won the CL 3 years in a row 97, 98 and 99. We had a phenomenal midfield back then but just lacked a truly world class finisher. We got knocked out by Dortmund and Monaco in 97 and 98 respectively because of a lack of firepower and our inability to convert chances. We only managed 1 goal in those 4 games.

Moonwalker

It's not really a tactical analysis, but it's a hilarious video. "Long and behold" and "Soo-ton". Good grief.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I'd say @GueRed nailed it: more aggressive holding the ball in and attacking deliveries into the box. Peak Shearer would be absolutely fine in a modern set-up that was built around his needs. Imagine him playing up front for Liverpool getting on the end of crosses from Robertson and Trent. Even up against the rugged British centre-halves of his era, who traded in the meat-and-drink of crosses and headers, he still plundered goals. Nowadays I reckon he'd routinely bully the more slender-built centre-halves with any delivery from out wide. That said in a theoretical Liverpool attack, he wouldn't replicate Firmino as I don't think he'd suit a supporting false 9 gig. Fundamentally he always wanted to be the point of the attack and his partnership with Owen later in his career didn't always catch fire as they'd often make the same runs. Otherwise though he had all the armoury and range of tools - pace, hold-up game, strength, intelligence, movement, finishing short and long - to threaten that would make him just as effective today.
Good description. He wouldn’t replicate Firmino, who moves in different area but I actually think his hold up play was at least as good as his anyway. In any case, Klopp would drop Firmino and whoever else if he could have Shearer, who was better than Salah and Mane too.

A bit more analysis on Blackburn Rovers 1994/1995...

Everyone knows that the side was set up to serve Shearer (and Sutton) as quickly as possible. The centre halves and right full back would play direct, both wingers stayed wide and crossed the ball. You have to remember, though, that almost every team in the league played that way to some extent. Even Newcastle, who were more stylish, had a similar format but with Ginola rather than Wilcox and Phillipe Albert rather than Colin Hendry. United’s midfield was much better than ours too, but we didn’t play through ours so much and Sherwood was good joining attacks bearers the box.

Wilcox and Ripley were rated at the time but were basic players, not near the level of Giggs/Kanchelskis/Ginola, or Damien Duff who came through at Rovers a few years later. However, they didn’t need to be as good as that because their job was to whip crosses into Shearer or Sutton.

Le Saux was at a very high level and I think (in a single season) compared with Irwin. Hendry a very good old-school defender. Sutton was a very complete footballer. Got loads of assists, unselfish, excellent passer, good finisher, very good in the air. Helped midfielders join the attacks and was a good foil for Shearer. Was a very good footballing centre-half too. To be a record transfer, completing a side and winning a league at 21 is impressive. An underrated player, possibly because of the Chelsea move and him falling out with England.

So, United were a better side with better players. Shearer was the difference but there were other decent players and the direct tag kind of ignores the context. There weren‘t the kind of differences that you’d see say between Dyche’s Burnley and Pep’s City.

Last edited:

GueRed

Think shearer mastered the bullying and was born with the brilliance, obviously honed and worked on in training and game time, Kane never had to as they had that bit more protection from refs, only the best survived when they could look after themselves, imo peak shearer beats most centre forwards in my time watching English football,
Yep.

It was an age when defenders would (and could without much punishment) 'leave one in' on their opponent.

Let's just say Shearer could look after himself and not get bullied by these centre-halves.

GueRed

I've always believed if we'd have signed him in 96 we probably would have won the CL 3 years in a row 97, 98 and 99. We had a phenomenal midfield back then but just lacked a truly world class finisher. We got knocked out by Dortmund and Monaco in 97 and 98 respectively because of a lack of firepower and our inability to convert chances. We only managed 1 goal in those 4 games.
Those Dortmund '97 semi-finals still rankle me.

How we did not muster even a single goal still pisses me off.

GueRed

Really? First I heard of that. Kind of odd considering the depth of strikers we already had and Shearer past his prime was nearing 30yrs old.

If I remember correctly the papers that 99/00 season had us constantly linked to strikers like Van Nistelrooy, Trezeguet and Henrik Larsson...

If anything that season the priority should've been a top experienced centre-back.

FujiVice

Really? First I heard of that. Kind of odd considering the depth of strikers we already had and Shearer past his prime was nearing 30yrs old.
Shearer was better than all four of our strikers and just dragged a mediocre Newcastle side to 2 FA Cup finals. He was still a special player capable of scoring 25 goals a season (probably more in our side.)

GueRed

Shearer was better than all four of our strikers and just dragged a mediocre Newcastle side to 2 FA Cup finals. He was still a special player capable of scoring 25 goals a season (probably more in our side.)
Yeah he was still a great target man, but wasnt as mobile as his Blackburn days and past his prime....

In 1999 that Shearer to United ship had sailed, hence why going into the new millenium we in the market for strikers in their early 20's on the verge of greatness....ala the Van Nistelrooy's, Trezeguets etc.

stevoc

Those Dortmund '97 semi-finals still rankle me.

How we did not muster even a single goal still pisses me off.
Same here think we had something like 27 shots on target that night. Kohler had the game of his life

mosschopps

Just youtube Shearers blackburn days. He was one of the best players on the planet. Up there with Van Basten and Ronaldo mk1 in terms of talent and power. The injurys took their toll

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Just youtube Shearers blackburn days. He was one of the best players on the planet. Up there with Van Basten and Ronaldo mk1 in terms of talent and power. The injurys took their toll
You read people say he was “an old-fashioned number 9” and make out he wasn’t very technical, a bit like some do when they make out Roy Keane was some sort of hatchet man.

He was fine technically, how can you have a first touch and get shots off as quick as and powerfully as that if your technique is not there.

Some people confuse elaboration with technique.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Think Shearer came 3rd in the Ballon D’or in 1996. I hated him at the time but only because he was phenomenal. In his younger days he had it all.

I really wish he joined us. I’m certain it would have propelled us to the same amount of CL’s as Bayern/Liverpool now

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...

If I remember correctly the papers that 99/00 season had us constantly linked to strikers like Van Nistelrooy, Trezeguet and Henrik Larsson...

If anything that season the priority should've been a top experienced centre-back.
They had signed Ruud in April 2000 (he would arrive that summer) but after he failed an initial medical the deal was put on hold. PSV refused to approve an additional medical and the deal was off. He crocked his knee the next day.

I recall Trezeguet links circa 99/00 but think it was more press than anything else, believe he was content in Italy. Don't recall Larsson being linked back then. Salas was linked around 98ish as was Batistuta. Think wage requests nixed either of those signings ever getting close to happening.

GueRed

They had signed Ruud in April 2000 (he would arrive that summer) but after he failed an initial medical the deal was put on hold. PSV refused to approve an additional medical and the deal was off. He crocked his knee the next day.

I recall Trezeguet links circa 99/00 but think it was more press than anything else, believe he was content in Italy. Don't recall Larsson being linked back then. Salas was linked around 98ish as was Batistuta. Think wage requests nixed either of those signings ever getting close to happening.
yep.

i remember (before he did his knee at PSV's training ground) he and his agent staged a press conference in a Dutch hotel to the media to confirm his move to United. you could tell he was dead excited. nothing was signed yet.
it was live on sky news, i remember like it was yesterday haha. was so excited Van Nistelrooy was one of the deadliest young strikers in europe.

Giggsyking

Same here think we had something like 27 shots on target that night. Kohler had the game of his life
Dortmund and Leverkusen, I cant believe till this moment how we couldn't get through.

GueRed

yep so wasteful. some of the chances missed were clear-cut.

Pallister, Cantona, Cole the main culprits that night..