How come Ole can only get a semi? | Can he finally go all the way?

siw2007

Just don't think this team is ready to win yet. All three defeats in the semi finals reveal where we are lacking at the moment. Defeat to City showed us that there was a lack of quality on the pitch, defeat to Chelsea showed a lack of depth in the squad and defeat tonight against Sevilla showed naivety. It's not a bottle job or a massive underachievement, it is where we are, we need to continue to develop and sign good players who can improve us and we can turn those semi finals into finals and then hopefully into victories.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Tonight was probably the least shit semi performance but they’ve all been various less of shit.

Green_Red

Good post.
Cheers.

Add to that we have the highest number of clean sheets for Europe's top 5 leagues. We've lost 2 games in what 20 odd? We're scoring more goals and conceding less. One game in a knockout tournament doesn't change any of that. And... our players are hungry. Just listen to Bruno in his post match. They want to win. All signs of great foundations for us.

wolvored

The other problem is that because the bench is poor, we have less options for rotation. Which means our best starting 11 get tired and that impacts the next few games. Having a poor bench doesn't just affect us within each game, it affects us across the whole season from game to game.

In a squad with more attacking options on the bench, Rashford would probably have been benched by now or at least giving the opportunity to come on in the second half as a different option.

This transfer window is huge. If we don't get at least 2 good players coming in (we need more) then I can't see us improving on this season. I think next season is going to be much harder due to this fecking virus.
I would even take a top player and a couple up and coming kids around the £20/25 mill mark who have shown glimpses in other leagues to get some strength in depth. Lets face it we aint going to win the premier or champions league next season, so we may as well build some squad strength.

RedNed77

3 times, why can't he go all the way? :(
Football is the opposite of real life. When you’re young seeing it through is never a problem, in football apparently being a little older is advantageous. Who would have thought.

Not me, that’s for sure.

Superunknown

I would even take a top player and a couple up and coming kids around the £20/25 mill mark who have shown glimpses in other leagues to get some strength in depth. Lets face it we aint going to win the premier or champions league next season, so we may as well build some squad strength.
Any players that do come in have to be the right ones. In truth, I'm open with regards to this, as long as they fit the "profile". E.g. we want mentally tough players, who are comfortable on the ball, who will improve us and have the potential to become better. The Fernandes signing was such an important one, if only for his mental strength and work rate. It's infectious and it has an impact on the rest of the squad. So, any players we buy have to carry on with that and be cut from a similar cloth.

Betson

Because the moment quality wise that is the ceiling of this squad , we need an injection or more quality in the squad to be more than a top 4 team and a semi final cup team.

I think we are going in the right direction but we still need a a few quality recruits to challenge the top teams, very important few weeks in the transfer window coming up.

We are getting better, but we aren't yet where we want to be; hence it's been a season of semi-finals. I didn't expect third in the league and three cup semi-finals this season. Ole did well to get us there.

SAFMUTD

Because hes an average manager, and we have an average team to we cant expect anything but average results.

The only way Ole is going to succeed here is if we get a clearly better team than our opposition, meaning really superior.

M16Red

Because he swaps the personal in between sticks just before he gets to the big moment?

Walters_19_MuFc

Cheers.

Add to that we have the highest number of clean sheets for Europe's top 5 leagues. We've lost 2 games in what 20 odd? We're scoring more goals and conceding less. One game in a knockout tournament doesn't change any of that. And... our players are hungry. Just listen to Bruno in his post match. They want to win. All signs of great foundations for us.
Exactly this. Whilst im pissed we lost, I'm optimistic. I look forward to the next season because I like the direction Ole is taking us. Can't say I've always felt like that under the previous managers. Bring on next season!

wolvored

Any players that do come in have to be the right ones. In truth, I'm open with regards to this, as long as they fit the "profile". E.g. we want mentally tough players, who are comfortable on the ball, who will improve us and have the potential to become better. The Fernandes signing was such an important one, if only for his mental strength and work rate. It's infectious and it has an impact on the rest of the squad. So, any players we buy have to carry on with that and be cut from a similar cloth.
Yes Ole is looking at the character of a player as well as ability, and im sure there are some young dutch french belgium greek turkish etc players from the 'lesser' leagues who fit the bill. Even if it doesnt work out long term it gives us time to build the strength of the bench and we probably get most of the transfer fee back.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Common factors in all 3 SF's were either the lack squad depth or individual defensive errors

Irrational.

He had Green-wood, who was impotent in the box today and couldn't penetrate. Having a Rash on his ball didn't help either. If he had brought Bailly on for Willi(ams) it may not have Mata'd, as he still would have suffered from Erictile dysfunction. He needs to pay money to get Jack off Villa and improve the play in the box.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Shit defender though at times
Not really,
Just your subjective opinion.
He's actually very decent when you start looking at stats and turn away from the subjective stuff.
Only player to have less players dribble past him than VVD this season, but no one mentions that.

croadyman

Just don't think this team is ready to win yet. All three defeats in the semi finals reveal where we are lacking at the moment. Defeat to City showed us that there was a lack of quality on the pitch, defeat to Chelsea showed a lack of depth in the squad and defeat tonight against Sevilla showed naivety. It's not a bottle job or a massive underachievement, it is where we are, we need to continue to develop and sign good players who can improve us and we can turn those semi finals into finals and then hopefully into victories.
Good post and definitely sums up our performances in the semi finals this season

croadyman

Klopp had a similar issue with Liverpool for a a few finals. Look whats hes done since. Players on the pitch did well tonight. We have a young team who are still building their experience. Thats all. Don't need to read too much into this.
You make a very valid point about Klopp's record in finals until last year,however also have to be careful it doesn't become a mental block like City & PSG in Champions League.

RedDevil@84

We are a team in progress. We do not have game changers as such. It's too early to draw any theories.

cptkeane1993

Or maybe it’s a great step forward to show how consistent we are.

We are on the journey back to being a champion team. It’s a great sign of progress
This.

Who actually predicted we’d finish third this season and be a game away from the final in all the cup competitions we competed in? Nobody. Most had us between 6-10th with early elimination in the cups. The squad was just not good enough. So this is great progress and I was happy to see the hurt on the pitch. They will be better for this. I say well done Ole, staff and team this season. Bring on the next!

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Who off the bench? Our midfield was dominant, so are you taking off Rashford for someone? Greenwood for James? Because James really lit it up when he came on.

People want to cry about subs, yet then scream at the subs when they come on and are predictably shite.
Correct. It's frustrating the whole 'subs' thing, but really not surprising with our squad depth. It absolutely has to be addressed in the window.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I love how this is doing the rounds as though it makes us an abject failure. What of all the teams who go out in those competitions in the early stages? We are a young and thin squad that came up short, but plenty of positives and hope for the future providing the board does the right thing.

romufc

This over reaction doesn't sit well with me.

League cup, we got blown away in 45 mins V City when we had one of the worst teams out, Jones and Lindelof in defence. Done well after that to stay in the tie.

FA cup - We clearly didn't go for it, most people wanted to concentrate on top 4, just like the manager.

Europa League - this one hurts the most, but the best performance in a semi final this season shows the progress we have made.

In all 3, individual mistakes cost us.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Our players look exhausted because the squad is so shallow he cannot rotate without putting result at risk, see semi against Chelsea. He needs a lot more players so the quality does not drop if changes need because of exhaustion, injuries or lack of form. Rashford needed to be taken out, loss of confidence or to be honest I still think he isn't completely fit, but don't think he trust any of the back up players.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Am I right in thinking that United won 100% of the knockout ties in which Romero started in goal and 0% of the ties that De Gea played? Even better still is that United won the four EL group games that Romero started and failed to win the two that he didn't. United won 15 and drew 2 of the 17 games Romero played this season, keeping 12 clean sheets and conceding 5 goals.

MattofManchester

Oncoming Erectile Dysfunction?

Also, how have you become privy to this information?

Last edited:

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Next season will be crucial for me. We have some big lows this season, but also some highs, especially after the break. Let’s see who we can buy and how we will do.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Team is very young and youth hardly ever brings home silverware. Mourinho knows it and that's why he won it. Obviously it's less exciting to win it with Ashley Young and Lukaku's but that's the price you pay.

TsuWave

What in game management do you expect? We missed a metric fecktonne of chances and people are moaning about tactics and substitutions :lol:
“the lack of anything remotely resembling a process, a plan, a blueprint: something that sustains you through the tough parts, that gets you over setbacks. Here, against the wily Sevilla, it manifested itself most clearly in the lack of composure, an inability to concentrate for the full 90 minutes, on the inability to find solutions on the pitch, on Solskjær’s unshakeable faith in his starting XI, to the point that he resisted a substitution until the 87th minute, despite his side’s increasing fatigue.

Marcus Rashford had a poor game after winning an early penalty. Bruno Fernandes faded from view after converting it. The full-backs Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Brandon Williams looked increasingly adrift as the game went on. And perhaps tellingly, it was a loss of possession high up the pitch by an exhausted Mason Greenwood that led to the move from which Sevilla scored their winning goal: the final act of a team that, in more ways than one, had run itself into the ground.

Of course, United have a loose philosophy and style of play, based largely on their electric front five with its multiple options for cutting you to pieces. But insofar as they possess a strategy, it seems to consist largely of letting their gifted individuals do their thing, and entrusting the rest to timing and self-expression, good feelings and blind faith. Here again, as in their other losing semi-finals, against Chelsea in the FA Cupand Manchester City in the League Cup, Solskjær and United discovered that momentum is not a tactic.”

Like I said, Ole’s United is pure vibes and not much else. Just vibes. Wouldn’t be surprised if team talk consisted of: “enjoy yourselves. Go out there and give the supporters something to cheer for”.

MattofManchester

“the lack of anything remotely resembling a process, a plan, a blueprint: something that sustains you through the tough parts, that gets you over setbacks. Here, against the wily Sevilla, it manifested itself most clearly in the lack of composure, an inability to concentrate for the full 90 minutes, on the inability to find solutions on the pitch, on Solskjær’s unshakeable faith in his starting XI, to the point that he resisted a substitution until the 87th minute, despite his side’s increasing fatigue.

Marcus Rashford had a poor game after winning an early penalty. Bruno Fernandes faded from view after converting it. The full-backs Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Brandon Williams looked increasingly adrift as the game went on. And perhaps tellingly, it was a loss of possession high up the pitch by an exhausted Mason Greenwood that led to the move from which Sevilla scored their winning goal: the final act of a team that, in more ways than one, had run itself into the ground.

Of course, United have a loose philosophy and style of play, based largely on their electric front five with its multiple options for cutting you to pieces. But insofar as they possess a strategy, it seems to consist largely of letting their gifted individuals do their thing, and entrusting the rest to timing and self-expression, good feelings and blind faith. Here again, as in their other losing semi-finals, against Chelsea in the FA Cupand Manchester City in the League Cup, Solskjær and United discovered that momentum is not a tactic.”

Like I said, Ole’s United is pure vibes and not much else. Just vibes.
What I got from this was:

Ole gets a semi from good vibes.

I'm sorry.

grahamo

Disappointed with last night. Really annoyed me watching those Seville players celebrating with 5 minutes to go. United just had no answer to them. A lot more improvement needed