How come Ole can only get a semi? | Can he finally go all the way?

Feed Me

I'm hungry
“the lack of anything remotely resembling a process, a plan, a blueprint: something that sustains you through the tough parts, that gets you over setbacks. Here, against the wily Sevilla, it manifested itself most clearly in the lack of composure, an inability to concentrate for the full 90 minutes, on the inability to find solutions on the pitch, on Solskjær’s unshakeable faith in his starting XI, to the point that he resisted a substitution until the 87th minute, despite his side’s increasing fatigue.

Marcus Rashford had a poor game after winning an early penalty. Bruno Fernandes faded from view after converting it. The full-backs Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Brandon Williams looked increasingly adrift as the game went on. And perhaps tellingly, it was a loss of possession high up the pitch by an exhausted Mason Greenwood that led to the move from which Sevilla scored their winning goal: the final act of a team that, in more ways than one, had run itself into the ground.

Of course, United have a loose philosophy and style of play, based largely on their electric front five with its multiple options for cutting you to pieces. But insofar as they possess a strategy, it seems to consist largely of letting their gifted individuals do their thing, and entrusting the rest to timing and self-expression, good feelings and blind faith. Here again, as in their other losing semi-finals, against Chelsea in the FA Cupand Manchester City in the League Cup, Solskjær and United discovered that momentum is not a tactic.”

Like I said, Ole’s United is pure vibes and not much else. Just vibes. Wouldn’t be surprised if team talk consisted of: “enjoy yourselves. Go out there and give the supporters something to cheer for”.
Almost all the apparent ills outlined in that piece can be attributed to lack of squad depth.

People say that Ole lacks tactical nous, but he managed to get us to completely strangle Sevilla for the opening 20 minutes of the second half with a noticeable shift in tactics, only for the players to fail to put the ball in the net.

Okay, so we have lost in three semis in succession but we are also a work in progress and need to supplement the existing players with three or four characters who will get us over the line.

romufc

“the lack of anything remotely resembling a process, a plan, a blueprint: something that sustains you through the tough parts, that gets you over setbacks. Here, against the wily Sevilla, it manifested itself most clearly in the lack of composure, an inability to concentrate for the full 90 minutes, on the inability to find solutions on the pitch, on Solskjær’s unshakeable faith in his starting XI, to the point that he resisted a substitution until the 87th minute, despite his side’s increasing fatigue.

Marcus Rashford had a poor game after winning an early penalty. Bruno Fernandes faded from view after converting it. The full-backs Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Brandon Williams looked increasingly adrift as the game went on. And perhaps tellingly, it was a loss of possession high up the pitch by an exhausted Mason Greenwood that led to the move from which Sevilla scored their winning goal: the final act of a team that, in more ways than one, had run itself into the ground.

Of course, United have a loose philosophy and style of play, based largely on their electric front five with its multiple options for cutting you to pieces. But insofar as they possess a strategy, it seems to consist largely of letting their gifted individuals do their thing, and entrusting the rest to timing and self-expression, good feelings and blind faith. Here again, as in their other losing semi-finals, against Chelsea in the FA Cupand Manchester City in the League Cup, Solskjær and United discovered that momentum is not a tactic.”

Like I said, Ole’s United is pure vibes and not much else. Just vibes. Wouldn’t be surprised if team talk consisted of: “enjoy yourselves. Go out there and give the supporters something to cheer for”.
So if he is just about vibes, why cant other teams do that? If we have no tactics, coaching etc, why how has this manager attracted Bruno? Why is Martial better and happier? Why does Pogba look happier? How has Greenwood developed?

How have we managed to be 14 points of 3rd and catch up?

TsuWave

Almost all the apparent ills outlined in that piece can be attributed to lack of squad depth.

People say that Ole lacks tactical nous, but he managed to get us to completely strangle Sevilla for the opening 20 minutes of the second half with a noticeable shift in tactics, only for the players to fail to put the ball in the net.

Okay, so we have lost in three semis in succession but we are also a work in progress and need to supplement the existing players with three or four characters who will get us over the line.
I said the guy is just a vibes manager with no/poor in-game management. You asked what in-game management I expect. I replied with paragraphs outlining it. Now you're talking about the supposed lack of quality of something something something, which doesn't change the fact that there was no/poor in-game management.

You'll not change my mind. Enjoy the vibes.

So if he is just about vibes, why cant other teams do that? If we have no tactics, coaching etc, why how has this manager attracted Bruno? Why is Martial better and happier? Why does Pogba look happier? How has Greenwood developed?

How have we managed to be 14 points of 3rd and catch up?
Why can't other teams do what? We're not exactly at the summit of football :lol: Attracted Bruno? The guy played for Sporting in the Liga Sagres. You're talking as if he's/was a global superstar. The guy would have came to United if our manager was Ian Holloway. Hell, Sporting's president is on record saying he didn't end up at Spurs because Levy is tight and didn't meet their valuation. It has nothing to do with "Ole appeal" or "attractiveness". Mourinho had Martial in the gulag and wanted to get rid of him for Perisic, and supposedly for Willian and even Arnautovic. Why is it surprising for you that the guy's happier now that he gets to play? In fact, him and the rest of the squad being happier plays into Ole being a vibes manager. So we're just going to act like Greenwood hasn't been touted for the top for years? Had Greenwood been in the starting line-up earlier instead of having James out there performing his cardio routine, we might have secured top 4 sooner and been able to rest some players. Leicester had the collapse of a lifetime. Moreover, so Ole gets credit for United closing down a 14 points gap, but no criticism for presiding over the period in which the 14 point gap was created? :confused:

Last edited:

romufc

Moreover, so Ole gets credit for United closing down a 14 points gap, but no criticism for presiding over the same period in which the 14 point gap was created? :confused:
You can go back to December and have a look at my posts, I was critical of Ole and after the Burnley game, if he got sacked I would have accepted it because it wasn't good enough.

Leicester had a collapse of a lifetime but in the time we had to beat Chelsea, City and Leicester to get the 9 points, are you discrediting what he has done?

It is the opposite, Ole gets criticised for creating the 14 point gap but no credit for turning it around when it didnt look like he could? Clearly you are the one who are not seing things clearly?

RE Greenwood, he has actually handled him brilliantly.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I said the guy is just a vibes manager with no/poor in-game management. You asked what in-game management I expect. I replied with paragraphs outlining it. Now you're talking about the supposed lack of quality of something something something, which doesn't change the fact that there was no/poor in-game management.

You'll not change my mind. Enjoy the vibes.

Why can't other teams do what? We're not exactly at the summit of football :lol: Attracted Bruno? The guy played for Sporting in the Liga Sagres. You're talking as if he's/was a global superstar. The guy would have came to United if our manager was Ian Holloway. Hell, Sporting's president is on record saying he didn't end up at Spurs because Levy is tight and didn't meet their valuation. It has nothing to do with "Ole appeal" or "attractiveness". Mourinho had Martial in the gulag and wanted to get rid of him for Perisic, and supposedly for Willian and even Arnautovic. Why is it surprising for you that the guy's happier now that he gets to play? In fact, him and the rest of the squad being happier plays into Ole being a vibes manager. So we're just going to act like Greenwood hasn't being touted for the top for years? Had Greenwood been in the starting line-up earlier instead of having James out there performing his cardio routine, we might have secured top 4 sooner and been able to rest some players. Leicester had the collapse of a lifetime. Moreover, so Ole gets credit for United closing down a 14 points gap, but no criticism for presiding over the period in which the 14 point gap was created? :confused:
He literally fecking changed tactics to help us strangle the opponent for the opening 20 minutes of the second half. :lol:

Josep Dowling

Context of the semi finals:

League Cup - Lost to Manchester City over two legs. Currently the second best team in the country.

Fa Cup - Lost to Chelsea. We were awful in that game but had to rotate because Champions League qualification was more important. The performance wasn't acceptable but De Gea did cost us two goals.

Europa League - Lost to Sevilla. We played well and should have scored early in the second half. Sevilla have won the trophy a record 5 times. they love the tournament for whatever reason. My only gripe with Ole was the lack of changes. Rashford should have been taken off way before as he did nothing. But when you look at our bench who can he bring on that's better?

For us to finish 3rd and get to the semi finals of all cup competitions we were in is not that bad. Considering the state we were in, in December/January. 3rd place is better than Moyes and Van Gaal. Jose got 2nd and 6th. The league is the most important position to judge improvement. I think we are going in the right direction.

R'hllor

If that wasnt us, what would reaction be and would same things be said

Born2Lose

Would have had a similar thread about Klopp a couple of years ago.

Just be glad the teams actually reaching semi finals again.

If there are question marks, it's probably about some of the players, I'm not sure about De Gea or Lindelof in pressure games.

Hopefully in the summer we'll fill the squad a bit and get some players worth bringing on in games instead of Lingard and Mata.

ROFLUTION

Chill out, we're in the CL again and can attract big players now to fix current issues. Things are not that dull, people just need to understand that things don't happen overnight. We're still in the building phase albeit we need more winners.

And now we don't have to start next season in gameweek 3 and meet opposition that has knocked their dust off in the first two gameweeks (+ we wont have a more stressful schedule due to starting later)

blessing in disguise

romufc

Context of the semi finals:

League Cup - Lost to Manchester City over two legs. Currently the second best team in the country.

Fa Cup - Lost to Chelsea. We were awful in that game but had to rotate because Champions League qualification was more important. The performance wasn't acceptable but De Gea did cost us two goals.

Europa League - Lost to Sevilla. We played well and should have scored early in the second half. Sevilla have won the trophy a record 5 times. they love the tournament for whatever reason. My only gripe with Ole was the lack of changes. Rashford should have been taken off way before as he did nothing. But when you look at our bench who can he bring on that's better?

For us to finish 3rd and get to the semi finals of all cup competitions we were in is not that bad. Considering the state we were in, in December/January. 3rd place is better than Moyes and Van Gaal. Jose got 2nd and 6th. The league is the most important position to judge improvement. I think we are going in the right direction.
I posted this earlier. context is necessary. United fans calling for his head but will have no suggestions on who can replace him?

We got to 3 semi finals, in a transition season. We are a team in progress.

Some fans need to live with reality rather than think success is a given, those days are gone, teams around have more money and have got better.

Andersonson

Being in 3 semifinales during his first full season is a good feat.

Within the next two seasons he must win a title or two. But its a very good start and something to learn from for the players.

One or two good signings and we're not far off a winning team

Last edited:

sp_107

I am glad we made it to 3 semis at least as i didnt expect that in last december to be honest.

it's a progress guys an hope with few additions, who knows? We could be in 3 finals next season and win something.

TsuWave

He literally fecking changed tactics to help us strangle the opponent for the opening 20 minutes of the second half. :lol:
I didn't see us do anything that we weren't already doing. You keep going on about strangling Sevilla for 20 minutes (a generous assertion in itself), but clearly it didn't work in that we did not take the lead. As the paragraphs I posted outlined, there were plenty of things that were blatant and should have been managed, they weren't.

You can go back to December and have a look at my posts, I was critical of Ole and after the Burnley game, if he got sacked I would have accepted it because it wasn't good enough.

Leicester had a collapse of a lifetime but in the time we had to beat Chelsea, City and Leicester to get the 9 points, are you discrediting what he has done?

It is the opposite, Ole gets criticised for creating the 14 point gap but no credit for turning it around when it didnt look like he could? Clearly you are the one who are not seing things clearly?

RE Greenwood, he has actually handled him brilliantly.
Huh? So you create a mess and I'm supposed to credit you for cleaning the mess because at one point it looked like you couldn't clean it? People are satisfied with the season, and that's OK, for you guys. I'm not trying to wrestle you into thinking otherwise. To me Ole is a poor manager, we were mostly horrible for large parts of the season and fumbled 3 semi-finals. It is what it is.

ovoxo

Klopp had a similar issue with Liverpool for a a few finals. Look whats hes done since. Players on the pitch did well tonight. We have a young team who are still building their experience. Thats all. Don't need to read too much into this.
A very sensible post. You’ve hit the nail on the head. Had we buried our chances yesterday, we’d have won comfortably. I’m not worried, we just need to ensure we buy this summer to build upon this.

starman

League cup - City were clear favourites, lost by one goal. Had no Pogba, no Bruno and Rashford for one of the games. Don't blame Ole

FA cup - you had people on here that wanted us to basically throw it and just play the reserves in order to rest players to give us the best chance of getting 4th.
Outplayed, the system used to beat Chelsea 3 times before simply didn't work. Partially blame Ole, but got 3rd, so forgiven

Europa - No way we should have lost a game we had 4 one on ones. The setup, pressing and intensity was right. This one is on the players

Last edited:

romufc

I didn't see us do anything that we weren't already doing. You keep going on about strangling Sevilla for 20 minutes (a generous assertion in itself), but clearly it didn't work in that we did not take the lead. As the paragraphs I posted outlined, there were plenty of things that were blatant and should have been managed, they weren't.

Huh? So you create a mess and I'm supposed to credit you for cleaning the mess because at one point it looked like you couldn't clean it? People are satisfied with the season, and that's OK, for you guys. I'm not trying to wrestle you into thinking otherwise. To me Ole is a poor manager, we were mostly horrible for large parts of the season and fumbled 3 semi-finals. It is what it is.

I am sorry but the mess was created by the previous managers having completely unbalanced squads, I dont know if you realise but it takes some time to build a squad? Maybe you are unaware of that and think there is a magic wand that makes you better?

We had 2 proven managers that got us nowhere. The last time we played Sevilla under a top class manager we had 3 shots on target.

We went into a season with no CAM, Oles fault? Pogba, Rashford, Martial, Shaw got injured for large parts, Ole's fault.

City had one CB injured and finished 18 points of the leaders.

What did you expect we will do this season honestly? Win the title?

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Insulting another member

The manager can’t put the ball in the net himself. No offence, but you’re a fecking idiot.

AshRK

This over reaction doesn't sit well with me.

League cup, we got blown away in 45 mins V City when we had one of the worst teams out, Jones and Lindelof in defence. Done well after that to stay in the tie.

FA cup - We clearly didn't go for it, most people wanted to concentrate on top 4, just like the manager.

Europa League - this one hurts the most, but the best performance in a semi final this season shows the progress we have made.

In all 3, individual mistakes cost us.
Very well put. People are so focused on one thing that they forget the context. We literally dominated sevilla, and for people who think sevilla are a cake walk side then they are smoking weed. Sevilla were always the side I would avoid facing especially in europa knock outs. Solid side they are and yet we dominated them.

reddevil80

Losing 3 semi-finals in one season is gonna be a huge mental obstacle for this team.
Yes and no.

Yes, they will be disappointed with the results and the fact they haven't made it to a final THIS strange and extraordinarily long season.

No, because of the fact that they haven't made the final, they should seize the opportunity to work harder to ensure that the final is where they finish. They have to use that as a target and propel themselves to that position.

As a plus note, maybe OGS should consider sticking with the keeper who has put his heart and soul into each game he has played and made sure we get to at least the semi's. Changing from Sergio to David, yet again, I feel was costly. Subbing with 5 minutes to go too is absolutely insane in that heat too.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Because we played three very good teams across three semi finals. We were better in one, even in one and poor in one.

The search for “narratives” in football marches on. If you get to a semi final, you’ll often play very good teams.

Pace Abuser

He didn't get Sean Longstaff. An average manager who doesn't know hiw to produce a well coached team.

TsuWave

The manager can’t put the ball in the net himself. No offence, but you’re a fecking idiot.
You read multiple paragraphs of things that should have been managed, yet you’re fixated on supposed 20 minutes in which we allegedly strangled Sevilla and missed chances, and your defence of the poor in-game management is “the manager can’t put the ball in the net himself”. Retorting with “idiot” wouldn’t even begin to describe my thoughts :lol:

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Team is very young and youth hardly ever brings home silverware. Mourinho knows it and that's why he won it. Obviously it's less exciting to win it with Ashley Young and Lukaku's but that's the price you pay.
This is very true. Think we may have another season or so of this before the group are ready to compete for honours.

Manutd GOGOGO

I
Agree with you ...I will sack Ole immediately if I can.. He should be winning the league and all the 3 cups in his first season... Any decent manager would be able to do that in his first season... I am sure Klopp and Pep did that in their first season ... Oh wait did they....

TsuWave

I am sorry but the mess was created by the previous managers having completely unbalanced squads, I dont know if you realise but it takes some time to build a squad? Maybe you are unaware of that and think there is a magic wand that makes you better?

We had 2 proven managers that got us nowhere. The last time we played Sevilla under a top class manager we had 3 shots on target.

We went into a season with no CAM, Oles fault? Pogba, Rashford, Martial, Shaw got injured for large parts, Ole's fault.

City had one CB injured and finished 18 points of the leaders.

What did you expect we will do this season honestly? Win the title?
I believe you misunderstood. One of the points you raised when you quoted me was the fact we closed the 14 points gaps to top 4. I'm not saying he's culpable for our poor squad and whatnot. I'm saying he presided over us when we fell 14 points behind. Again, it took a colossal bottle job from Leicester. Surely there's a middle ground between competing for the title and not being mostly poor for a season.

You're happy with Ole, I'm not. What do you want me to do?

romufc

I believe you misunderstood. One of the points you raised when you quoted me was the fact we closed the 14 points gaps to top 4. I'm not saying he's culpable for our poor squad and whatnot. I'm saying he presided over us when we fell 14 points behind. Again, it took a colossal bottle job from Leicester. Surely there's a middle ground between competing for the title and not being mostly poor for a season.

You're happy with Ole, I'm not. What do you want me to do?
I am satisfied with Ole, you are not but what are the alternatives?

Feed Me

I'm hungry
You read multiple paragraphs of things that should have been managed, yet you’re fixated on supposed 20 minutes in which we allegedly strangled Sevilla and missed chances, and your defence of the poor in-game management is “the manager can’t put the ball in the net himself”. Retorting with “idiot” wouldn’t even begin to describe my thoughts :lol:
You have zero comprehension skills when watching a game. Pointless debating with you. Apparently poor finishing shows Ole is limited tactically.

TsuWave

You have zero comprehension skills when watching a game. Pointless debating with you. Apparently poor finishing shows Ole is limited tactically.
You have poor comprehension skills overall. I don't know if you're generally like this or if you're being purposely obtuse. Things don't happen in a vacuum/isolation. If your team is missing/has missed chances you don't just "oh well, we played a good game but missed chances. drinks on me, lads" it and it's all good. A manager is supposed to, you know, manage.

"The temptation will naturally be to curse their luck, to lament the string of missed chances that might have put them out of sight at the start of the second half, to praise the Sevilla keeper Yassine Bounou and file this away as a simple failure of shooting. Yet for United the alarming part of this game was not the failure to take advantage of their dominance but the ease with which they surrendered it after about the 55th minute: running out of legs and running out of ideas.

As Luuk de Jong stole in to win the game late on, Victor Lindelöf and Fernandes angrily squared up to each other in the United defence: each trying to shirk the blame for a collapse that had been collectively mismanaged."

Now please move along. I'm not finding this exchange enjoyable as nothing you say is salient and you're not particularly pleasant to talk to.

rollingstoned1

inexperienced squad, lack of depth means we lack the savvy and smarts to win such games which are often decided by the slimmest of margins like set pieces or a lack of concentration when defending/attacking. Mourinho was a good manager for these sort of games as the 2 cup finals we won in 2017 showed. This team and ole both need some ways to go before we get there. Hopefully they actually do and we don't turn into another arsenal!

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
We have a young team that is moving in the right direction. The doom and gloom patrol will be all over this thread, but it's not as bad as they will make it seem. They are more concerned with being right than seeing us move forward...

Feed Me

I'm hungry
You have poor comprehension skills overall. I don't know if you're generally like this or if you're being purposely obtuse. Things don't happen in a vacuum/isolation. If your team is missing/has missed chances you don't just "oh well, we played a good game but missed chances. drinks on me, lads" it and it's all good. A manager is supposed to, you know, manage.

"The temptation will naturally be to curse their luck, to lament the string of missed chances that might have put them out of sight at the start of the second half, to praise the Sevilla keeper Yassine Bounou and file this away as a simple failure of shooting. Yet for United the alarming part of this game was not the failure to take advantage of their dominance but the ease with which they surrendered it after about the 55th minute: running out of legs and running out of ideas.

As Luuk de Jong stole in to win the game late on, Victor Lindelöf and Fernandes angrily squared up to each other in the United defence: each trying to shirk the blame for a collapse that had been collectively mismanaged."

Now please move along. I'm not finding this exchange enjoyable as nothing you say is salient and you're not particularly pleasant to talk to.
Why are you quoting random articles as though the words are from an unimpeachable authority without citing the source or linking to them?

Meanwhile, the entire premise of your argument is built on quick sand. You are criticising the manager’s lack of tactical nous based on a game where we generally dominated but were undone by individual errors. The mind genuinely boggles.

Also, not sure what the faux hard man “move along” nonsense is all about.

Edit: Also hilarious being told I say nothing salient when your original statement centred around our manager having no tactical nous, just “vibes”. Feck knows what that is even supposed to mean. More bollocks from Twitter no doubt.

Red00012

3 semis and finishing 3rd would have been gladly taken at 10pm on January 22nd last

OleBoiii

League cup - City were clear favourites, lost by one goal. Had no Pogba, no Bruno and Rashford for one of the games. Don't blame Ole

FA cup - you had people on here that wanted us to basically throw it and just play the reserves in order to rest players to give us the best chance of getting 4th.
Outplayed, the system used to beat Chelsea 3 times before simply didn't work. Partially blame Ole, but got 3rd, so forgiven

Europa - No way we should have lost a game we had 4 one on ones. The setup, pressing and intensity was right. This one is on the players
/thread

TsuWave

Why are you quoting random articles as though the words are from an unimpeachable authority without citing the source or linking to them?

Meanwhile, the entire premise of your argument is built on quick sand. You are criticising the manager’s lack of tactical nous based on a game where we generally dominated but were undone by individual errors. The mind genuinely boggles.

Edit: Also hilarious being told I say nothing salient when your original statement centred around our manager having no tactical nous, just “vibes”. Feck knows what that is even supposed to mean. More bollocks from Twitter no doubt.
It's a singular guardian article, if you want the source you could just ask. And I borrowed the words not because I find them impeachable but rather because they reflect my thoughts. See, poor comprehension skills at play.

I asked you to move along because I don't enjoy talking to you as stated. Nothing about being a hard man, whatever that is. I'll just ignore you after this post and move along myself :lol:

Aye man, I responded to a thread expressing my thoughts on the manager, specifically in relation to another fumbled semi-final. Seems like an affable guy, but not much more. Vibes.

romufc

According to @TsuWave management is easy. You just need vibes and be pally with the players and you will get 3rd place finish and 3 semi finals.

Blame the manager for not scoring goals because we created 3/4 clear cut chances, but also blame the manager for poor defensive play from players.

He kept going about he isnt happy, but will never mention a manager who can do a better job.. why? because there any management move we make is a risk and there is no guarantee.

The best manager in pep has failed to tactically go past the QF mark in the CL in 3 seasons.