How come we are not linked with a number 6?

itso 7

in fairness we were playing a debutante could well be something more to do with that, not to mention unfamiliarity with the system not to mention jones playing in cm and rb the last 2 seasons not to mention whoever these bloody wingbacks are? But yeah maybe we need to sacrifice one of our remaining 5 attacking players to play a pure destroyer at home vs swansea
Nah LvG said this is not our permanent set up, I guess he wanted to use it as he settled and the team got to grips with his system, his philosophy is always the same no matter the varied formations he may employ. So whatever moves we make should always be made with the future in mind, a future where if our wide options and the spine improved would see us play 4-3-3/4-2-3-1. I think that's why we were linked with Cuadrado because he is comfortable playing RWB in a 3-5-2 and RW in a 4-3-3 !
We may not have needed a DM yesterday but the goals we conceded were typical United, an unmarked late runner finishing unmolested. If Ki and Siggy could do that to us how about Ramsey, Fabregas or Toure ?

Kallech33

My happy place. Where I kill more than time.
Aye.

5 ------- 6
2 -----------------------3

4 -------- 8
7 ------------------------ 11

9 ------ 10​
I always thought it strange that in English football the numbers developed to the CBs wearing 5 and 6 and the DM number 4.

When you look at the origin of the numbers it came from the 2-3-5 and the WM formations.

11-10-9-8-7
6-5-4
3-2

11---9----7
10-----8
6---4
3----5----2
Now, I can see how it makes sense to put the #4 next to the #5 when the switch from the 'M' to a 4 man defense occured, because it puts the lower number (right halfback) of the 2 halfbacks in the WM formation next to the fullback (#5). This would also be consistent with the numbering when the right inside forward (the number 8) became a midfielder.

The English numbering just doesn't make sense at all because on the one hand the left halfback (#6) became a CB (=fullback) but on the other hand the right inside forward (#8) became a midfielder.​

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Per right now, based on the evidence from the Swansea match, we could use a pure DM - yes. Because the trio at the back aren't solid enough. They may become that - and we all hope they will. But they aren't per now. If you're sporting three very good defenders who are drilled in the system in a 3-5-2/5-3-2 you don't need a defensively rock solid midfielder on top of that - clearly not. But we are - again clearly not - there yet. If I had the choice between Khedira and some sort of destroyer here and now, I'd take the latter until we can field a truly sound trio back there.

LVG used De Jong for a similar purpose. Trio at the back that wasn't all that individually, but who worked well when drilled right - and a defensively sound midfielder to add some cement to the wall. And he favored that set-up because he lacked pure quality in several positions. The parallel to United is hard not to draw. I think he'd prefer to play 4-3-3 with us (as he would have with Holland) but he considers the three at the back approach safer given the circumstances. The latter being that we too lack quality in certain positions.

Silverman

Very good point. We are definitely in need of a CDM probably even more so than a Vidal type player. Khedira and Strootman are being mentioned but they are not CDM's. I think we need to build our midfield two into a unit like what City have done with Fernandinho sitting and letting Toure play his game. I think we need to sign someone lke Schweinsteiger who would sit in front of the back four whilst also putting himself about. Add Vidal and I think we would probably have the best midfield two in the league. I know those two signings are unlikely but it has come to the point where it is what is needed and not what would be nice.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Blind is number 6. Whether he's good enough for united or not is another thing

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
If we get Di Maria and not get a number 6, Van Gaal will not appear as smart as he seems. Even Blind or De Jong will suffice in that role until Carrick comes back, or Strootman becomes available.

KeninDC

Rest in Peace
Per right now, based on the evidence from the Swansea match, we could use a pure DM - yes. Because the trio at the back aren't solid enough. They may become that - and we all hope they will. But they aren't per now. If you're sporting three very good defenders who are drilled in the system in a 3-5-2/5-3-2 you don't need a defensively rock solid midfielder on top of that - clearly not. But we are - again clearly not - there yet. If I had the choice between Khedira and some sort of destroyer here and now, I'd take the latter until we can field a truly sound trio back there.

LVG used De Jong for a similar purpose. Trio at the back that wasn't all that individually, but who worked well when drilled right - and a defensively sound midfielder to add some cement to the wall. And he favored that set-up because he lacked pure quality in several positions. The parallel to United is hard not to draw. I think he'd prefer to play 4-3-3 with us (as he would have with Holland) but he considers the three at the back approach safer given the circumstances. The latter being that we too lack quality in certain positions.
Yep. Need a thug who treats the top of the box as his space. Another AM will just lead to more space in front of the back line.

Rudie

Mentary
It's glaring that we're in need of someone like this, Di Maria may do a job but won't help one bit in terms of defending against counter attacks, we've all known that we're in desperate need for someone like this for years yet the club ignores it; 'the United way is to attack' - well not if we're getting a new one ripped against the likes of Swansea!

bleedred

Cause when LVG met SAF in washington, he told LVG to buy a striker to compensate for it. True Story!

bishblaize

It's glaring that we're in need of someone like this, Di Maria may do a job but won't help one bit in terms of defending against counter attacks, we've all known that we're in desperate need for someone like this for years yet the club ignores it; 'the United way is to attack' - well not if we're getting a new one ripped against the likes of Swansea!
I think there's a bit of both tbh. Yes we're getting caught out on the counter attack. However our attack is so pedestrian that the opposition can safely chuck men forward on the counter attack. It used to be only the big teams had the fitness and quality to counter attack properly at Old Trafford. Now teams can defend with just their back 4 & 2 midfielders, and their attacking four all counter attack together.

I'd rather see a proper defensive CM in first, because losing goals on the counter attack saps confidence. When goals are hard to come by, you need them all to count. However a significant upgrade in our attack would make a difference too.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
Strootman is the man we are after to be our number 6.

I would not mind if we got Blind or De Jong cheaply to just hold down the fort and be a squad player.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Well if the question is why are we are not linked in the media to a certain position, well that is a question you would have to ask the people who make up the rumours in the media.

If the question is why we are not after a player in a certain position, well perhaps we are or perhaps given the complete makeover we need we can only do so much at one time.

Walters_19_MuFc

Anyone watch Wayama and Fernando yesterday? Now they're the kind of players we could do with. Anything in their final third they cleaned up.

No one will agree, but I'd still like to see Fellaini given a run of games as a holding midfielder next to Herrera. If he's given the instruction to hold, he'll do it, however, because of his height, I suppose most managers see it as a waste not allow him to get in the box to utilize his height and heading ability.

We could also convert Cleverley into a deeper midfielder, which is what LVG experimented with on pre-season tour, when playing next to Herrera or Kagawa.

Ideally, though, we should be looking to get a specialized defensive midfielder. I remember when we were linked with Wanyama. After his performance yesterday, I certainly wish we had him.

Walters_19_MuFc

Strootman is the man we are after to be our number 6.

I would not mind if we got Blind or De Jong cheaply to just hold down the fort and be a squad player.
Strootman is hardly a number 6, in my opinion. I'd describe him as more of a number 8.

An Irish Red

No one will agree, but I'd still like to see Fellaini given a run of games as a holding midfielder next to Herrera. If he's given the instruction to hold, he'll do it, however, because of his height, I suppose most managers see it as a waste not allow him to get in the box to utilize his height and heading ability.
Fellaini is a ball watcher with poor positioning. He's nowhere near good enough to play that role for us.

Walters_19_MuFc

Fellaini is a ball watcher with poor positioning. He's nowhere near good enough to play that role for us.
The idea of poor positioning may have come from the fact that we normally play him as a number 8, which requires him to get forward, therefore, when our attacks break down, because he's not the fastest, yes, he is often caught out of position. However, if we were tell him to sit in front of the back four - a role he's very rarely played for us - I can't imagine he'd be caught out of position much. He was pretty good against West Ham when he played there for us. He also played the role pretty well in the 4 games he had for Everton. I personally would like to see him get a run of games there.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
I honestly think that LvG has misjudged Fletcher in pre-season
IMO your spot on. Plus Giggs seems to rate fletcher still (I think he started a couple of games when he was caretaker). Not to mention SAF and the clowns on MUTV.

Hopefully it won't take long for LVG to realise but by that time the transfer window may have closed.

LVG did mention that some players did not cope well with the pressure/looked nervous following the Swansea defeat. So hopefully he's already spotted it but I fear he was referring to the younger players.

If he reviews the games where, any sort of pressure has been applied on our midfield (when in possession). i.e. Liverpool and Swansea he can't miss it.....

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Strootman is hardly a number 6, in my opinion. I'd describe him as more of a number 8.
Exactly, Strootman is tough, but he isn´t a particularly good tackler. Dynamic, intelligent passer, scored some nice goals but doesn´t score too often and helps out in defense. Very all round, #8 is the best definition of him.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The idea of poor positioning may have come from the fact that we normally play him as a number 8, which requires him to get forward, therefore, when our attacks break down, because he's not the fastest, yes, he is often caught out of position. However, if we were tell him to sit in front of the back four - a role he's very rarely played for us - I can't imagine he'd be caught out of position much. He was pretty good against West Ham when he played there for us. He also played the role pretty well in the 4 games he had for Everton. I personally would like to see him get a run of games there.
Yeah - if we don't bring in anyone, I wouldn't mind giving him a chance in that sort of role. He's much better at intercepting and tackling than people give him credit for. And he has no trouble passing the ball to the extent required in that role either. He needs to be disciplined, though. He has a tendency both to foul unnecessarily (which is his own fault) and to attract the attention of the ref due to his size (not his fault, but a common phenomenon he should be aware of and thus be extra careful not to throw his arms around and whatnot).

ghagua

If we are going to play 5 at the back, there's no need for an out an out defensive midfielder. What we need is another mobile midfielder like Herrera, it does not even have to be a superstar. I would have preferred Lars Bender, but it may be too late in this window for his club to sell, so i would go after Morgan Schneiderlin. We still may be able to persuade Southampton to sell him this summer.

Herman Van Rompuy

Bears False Witness
Daley Blind would be a perfect signing for us. Not a big name but he'd make us a lot more solid and his range of passing is good.

m1y2

Anyone watch Wayama and Fernando yesterday? Now they're the kind of players we could do with. Anything in their final third they cleaned up.

We could also convert Cleverley into a deeper midfielder, which is what LVG experimented with on pre-season tour, when playing next to Herrera or Kagawa.

Ideally, though, we should be looking to get a specialized defensive midfielder. I remember when we were linked with Wanyama. After his performance yesterday, I certainly wish we had him.
I was impressed with both. Wanyama struggled in his first season but started off with great performance against runners-up. Worked well with the ball too, very confortable on it even under high pressing team like Liverpool. What a difference it could be we signed him rather than Fellaini and for the half of price.. I like him he is exactly what we need an anchor man who will destroy opposite sides attacks or cover for fullbacks and allow herrera to play more of a box to box as he is creative enough but needs to get forward more and with someone like Wanyama at the back he could do it.. he will be 20+ million player at the end of the season.