How do we sell Harry Maguire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
There's a patch of grass outside my house. If I have anything that's a bit knackered, but could potentially be refurbed and be of some use to someone, I stick it on the grass. The longest anything has been there was 3 hours.

If Old Trafford has a similar patch of grass, maybe stick him on there?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Think if he needed a defender he would. He isn't stupid enough to think Maguire will play like he does under Ralf for pep. And wanted him at that price a couple of years ago.
Two years ago, the player was 26 just before March, so the season in question. He was also an unexplored talent as far as 'big time' is concerned and he may have been seen as malleable. Two years ago has no bearing on now; two years ago, Neymar was a premium talent who would have been sold for a world record fee; Messi was the unthinkable, un-transferable talent, and so on and so forth.

Football is dynamic and the stock of players can rise, fall, shoot through the roof or plummet through the floor. Each person assessing Maguire will determine what they think his stock stands at, but using barometers from two years ago is a redundancy.

The market, and the players who are available are also going to be a measuring stick for value, and even the logic of pursuit. In all honesty, why is a club going to single out Maguire, with his age, wage and previous season, for purchase unless at an astronomical knockdown price? Even on half the wage, it's a serious chunk of change, who is going to pay that?

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Do you think he gets it though, when you suggest mental health?

I mean, he had either the audacity, or stupidity, to suggest in that interview played yesterday that, because the manager has been picking him, he must be doing well.

Sweet divine Jemima is all I can say to that. What a plonker. Seriously. Deluded or moronic. Possibly both?
I think because he is getting picked regularly he just assumes he’s doing alright.
Roy Keane said "We're trying to help Maguire up here. We were trying to do it before the match, give him a little bit of PR. The last goal... Maguire's passing and his defending. It's not acceptable. Not good enough for #mufc."
So you could argue its the medias fault, blowing smoke up Maguires arse to why he believes hes as good as obviously thinks he is (he’s not)

L1nk

The only club that would even remotely entertain the idea is Newcastle, and even they'd have second thoughts im sure

Keefy18

I do recall plenty of arguments I had on here at the time of buying him that he wouldn't be good enough.

Would of been wiser just to keep Smalling and wait for a better CB than Harry, but our scouting is rubbish too so... it is what it is.

Rolaholic

Ashley Young as well, Harry makes him look like Cantona as a skipper

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
When we first signed him, I recall a lot of us were heralding the start of a new ferdinand-vidic type of rock-solid defensive partnership.

In reality it was more beavis and butthead...no disrespect to Lindelof.

Giggsy13

We are stuck with this steaming pile of shite due to his age and wages. The good news though is that Ten Hag will slowly phase him out as he brings in his own preferred CB target. Hopefully Timber or possibly a promotion for Mengi.

Judas

Open to offers
When we first signed him, I recall a lot of us were heralding the start of a new ferdinand-vidic type of rock-solid defensive partnership.

In reality it was more beavis and butthead...no disrespect to Lindelof.
I don't remember that to be fair, more so because Lindelof has never been liked. I think plenty thought it was one half of a sold defensive partnership, which ultimately looks laughably wrong.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
We'll do what we always do: stick with him, wait until his contract is almost up, offer him an extension to stop other teams buying him 'on the cheap', eventually stop playing him regularly and then let him walk for free.

dirkey

I think because he is getting picked regularly he just assumes he’s doing alright.
Roy Keane said "We're trying to help Maguire up here. We were trying to do it before the match, give him a little bit of PR. The last goal... Maguire's passing and his defending. It's not acceptable. Not good enough for #mufc."
So you could argue its the medias fault, blowing smoke up Maguires arse to why he believes hes as good as obviously thinks he is (he’s not)
Well maybe therein lies the problem. These muppets have to hold themselves accountable, and they don't. He's clearly incapable of watching back the footage and seeing just how bad he's playing.

Also, whatever about Keane saying that, I've seen the media bashing him multiple times this year, so I'm not sure that's the case.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Hopefully the new manager salvages something and then we move on from there. It's tricky evaluating the lad because he's become the number scapegoat at the most toxic time I could remember at this club post SAF.

Idxomer

3 years on his contract, £190,000 a year, the lad is going no where.
The only hope he gets told he's not in the new manager's plans.

He'll have no option except to get his agent to find him a new club, so he could keep playing for England.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He’s 100% starting the first game of next season. The club is so fecking inept in selling players that he will be here until his contract runs out (which we will probably renew to protect some sort of value).

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
The only hope he gets told he's not in the new manager's plans.

He'll have no option except to get his agent to find him a new club, so he could keep playing for England.
He is in a very difficult situation, who is gonna buy him, that’s gonna pay him more than his current salary but also appeal to Maguire’s ego? Newcastle is the only viable place but they have been pretty good in the transfer this far. Another option could be to see what the new coach can do. All this 10 players out is fantasy I think TH will want to evaluate everyone before he decides who goes.

Its obvious as of rn your going to be at least looking for a ST and a CDM, I simply can’t see your bringing in anymore than 4-5 new players at a stretch.

FerociousCorgis

i mean if club really wanted to pretty easy could find a buyer for maguire. Wouldnt get 80 million obviously but starting CB in his "prime" can easily get 40 million or so if we tried.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
i mean if club really wanted to pretty easy could find a buyer for maguire. Wouldnt get 80 million obviously but starting CB in his "prime" can easily get 40 million or so if we tried.

I’d he is to move he will be looking a pay increase though? There aren’t many clubs in the PL who are going to pay a CB over £200k a week.

Zaboot

Newcastle is the only club who could want him and pay his wages. Don't see him excepting a move to Newcastle though. The best that can happen is we upgrade and use him as a backup.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Very few clubs outside of the "big six" can afford to pay a player 190,000 a week. . It's one of the big problems with overpaying players such as Maguire & Rashford in that they become very hard to move.

FerociousCorgis

Very few clubs outside of the "big six" can afford to pay a player 190,000 a week. . It's one of the big problems with overpaying players such as Maguire & Rashford in that they become very hard to move.
think plenty of clubs can afford rashford, he still has a good overall scoring record and people would just hope they could "fix him". Think maguire could be found a home decently easy, not nearly as easy as rashford. Might have to take a pay cut but if he thought his world cup place was at stake could see him doing that. PLayers like AWB would be a bit harder to find a spot for and would need to take a pay cut as well.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
think plenty of clubs can afford rashford, he still has a good overall scoring record and people would just hope they could "fix him". Think maguire could be found a home decently easy, not nearly as easy as rashford. Might have to take a pay cut but if he thought his world cup place was at stake could see him doing that. PLayers like AWB would be a bit harder to find a spot for and would need to take a pay cut as well.
I'm not talking about his value but his wage hit on a club, mid table clubs like wolves, villa or Leicester can't afford to pay 190 a week for an average player. It's only the big six who can shell out that kind of money. Maguire's massive ego would struggle with a pay cut.

Levi1

People talking about selling him are way off base. Despite the year he's had,, hes still the captain. No way he gets sold within 6 months of his last game as captain, in my opinion. I'd settle instead for him just not making the team for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.