How do you cope with added time nerves ?

jackofalltrades

Imagine the last few minutes in 2008 in the CL semi-final 2nd leg against Barça, for example. We're 1-0 up but they're attacking as much as possible and now they've got a free kick not far outside our area, a goal by them will see them thorugh to the final. If you're at home alone watching a game like that, how do you deal with the nerves ?

I pace around or make a cup of tea or go for a pee or get a beer or something else. Am I the only one who needs to find ways to cope with these injury time nerves ?

Moonred

Usual clench my fist/bite my finger nails. Look at the clock rather than the game. Mentally chalk out what the opponent can do in the remaining time with respect to where they are on the field. Take a deep breath when in possession, heart skips a beat when we lose possession. No matter how stoned or drunk I am those moments completely make me sober and as we know sobriety is a fecking bitch.

Robin

I'm that much of a pessimist that I do all those things when we are 3-0 going into injury time, mind you I do remember an Everton away game when it was 3-1 going into injury time and they scored twice and very nearly got a winner with the last kick !!

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Late goals are great, regardless of where they're coming from.

jackofalltrades

I'm that much of a pessimist that I do all those things when we are 3-0 going into injury time, mind you I do remember an Everton away game when it was 3-1 going into injury time and they scored twice and very nearly got a winner with the last kick !!
You've just lightened my load:)

SirAF

Ageist
I stand up for the stoppage, unless they are comfortable, heading, kicking every ball :lol:

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
I couldn't watch the penalty shootout in Moscow. Regretted it after we won though.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
I bet you walked out telling everyone we had missed every one, am I right?
Nah, I wasn't a pessimist when it came to United and results back then but man, that extra time almost ended me.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Mentally chalk out what the opponent can do in the remaining time with respect to where they are on the field.
Absolutely this, and more generally going by the clock. If we're leading by one goal going into injury time I'll mentally (or even verbally) take a loss off the table, then think (and again sometimes say) 'but feck a draw would feel like a loss at this point' almost every time in a close match.

I always assume we are going to concede to reduce the potential blow.
:lol:

wr8_utd

:'(
I used to be absolute mess but United turning a bit shit had this one advantage that I'm almost always stress free for games now. I was flinging the TV remote around during the Everton City stoppage time though when anything but a City win would have pretty much given Liverpool the title.

Manny

Grammar Police
Under SAF, I was usually confident of seeing the game out, even in 08 CL semi.

Moyes and LvG was a different story. A collapse could happen at any moment but even then, I would be more critical of the players not being good enough. I'd be ready to have a go at the likes of Schneiderlin, Fellaini and Darmian for not having the composure, bravery or intelligence to help us see the game out.

So yeah, the analyst part of my brain kicks in and I start looking for reasons why we couldn't see the game out, even before it's over.

wr8_utd

:'(
Under SAF, I was usually confident of seeing the game out, even in 08 CL semi.

Moyes and LvG was a different story. A collapse could happen at any moment but even then, I would be more critical of the players not being good enough. I'd be ready to have a go at the likes of Schneiderlin, Fellaini and Darmian for not having the composure, bravery or intelligence to help us see the game out.

So yeah, the analyst part of my brain kicks in and I start looking for reasons why we couldn't see the game out, even before it's over.
Under Moyes and LVG we didn't really ever have anything to play for though so the stress and nerves are non existent compared to battling for titles under Fergie.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Usual clench my fist/bite my finger nails. Look at the clock rather than the game. Mentally chalk out what the opponent can do in the remaining time with respect to where they are on the field. Take a deep breath when in possession, heart skips a beat when we lose possession. No matter how stoned or drunk I am those moments completely make me sober and as we know sobriety is a fecking bitch.
Minus the stoned drunkeness you could be me.

Manny

Grammar Police
Under Moyes and LVG we didn't really ever have anything to play for though so the stress and nerves are non existent compared to battling for titles under Fergie.
I'm talking about injury time in general, not just in the big games.

There were plenty of games where we were a goal up going into injury time. Especially under LvG in his second season.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
The past 3 years have numbed my expectation somewhat. If we concede, then I don't take it anywhere near as badly as I used to. So those last 10 minutes aren't a big deal.

.Phil1968

Smoke . A lot.
I remember the last few minutes of normal time in the 99 European Cup final I was rolling a fag oblivious of the fact I already had a lit one in my gob :).

simmee

I usually just abuse our own players in the match day thread to take my mind of the game. Then after the game I abuse a few of them a bit more until I calm down.

Ainu

I always assume we are going to concede to reduce the potential blow.
Same here. I'm always "oh feck's sake here it comes, it'll be fecked" and feel totally deflated despite nothing actually happening. Then after the final whistle it takes me a couple of moments to turn that around into a "well shit we actually held on!" and be happy about it.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
It might just be me but I find it a bit strange that people would choose to miss parts of the game.

Morpheus 7

Shout at the referee to blow it up as if he can hear me. Pace up and down and try to stop my heart from exploding. Going to be nervy for me on Sunday no doubt, wouldn't be surprised if it's a similar situation. That Barca game was unbareable in 2008, the relief of that whistle. I remember Henry having a shot at close range late, sure he was going to finish it. Unreal atmosphere at Old Trafford that night.

Oscie

Swear. Scream. Hyperventilate. Abuse inanimate objects around me.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I remember that Barcelona game rubbing my belly over and over and feeling like I literally might shit myself. More recently since I've got older I don't get as nervous anyway. Usually just expect them to score now.