How do you, United supporters, feel about Flamengo's epic 2019 Libertadores win?

matbezlima

Exactly twenty years after United won the most dramatic UCL final ever in 99, Flamengo won the 2019 Libertadores final, the first single final in Libertadores' story, in virtually the same fashion! River scored early in the game, Flamengo was in a very bad day technically and River just slowed and broke the game's rythm at every opportunity waiting for the final whistle and pressing Flamengo's players like mad men.

But Flamengo drew the match in minute 43 of the second half and scored the second goal at minute 46, winning the match and the title! Flamengo won the second Libertadores in history, their first Libertadores title win had been in 1981! Dramatic and epic, a big relief and happiness for every Flamengo supporter after so many years of frustration and merciless mocking from the rivals!

And Gabriel Barbosa, nicknamed Gabigol, had probably the most epic end of match for a striker ever: in a time span of less than 10 minutes, he scored the two goals that won Flamengo the title and was sent off after those goals by the referee for God knows what reasons! Epic!

I now have inner peace and I won't want to start any other thread for at least a month, don't worry. :)

NYAS

Sorry, I would usually make a sarcastic comment or joke given it’s one of your threads, but with this thread you have absolutely nailed it.

As someone who started watching every Flamengo game basically since Jorge Jesus arrived that summer and seeing the incredible turn of form, scoring goals for fun even against tough opposition, I grew a massive soft spot for them, given their style of football, their historic stadium, their passionate fans, the fact that they are by far the most supported team in Brazil, they are basically the Manchester United of South America.

When they battered Gremîo 5-0 at the Maracanã in the semi, it was magical. Then when the final happened; that was it. It was just ridiculous, you couldn’t make it up. This will sound cheesy to United supporters and annoying to Brazilians who hate Flamengo (I know there are a couple of Vasco supporters on this forum) but when Gabigol scored the winner, all I could think of was Ole in 99’. As a United supporter, that River Plate game specifically and Flamengo’s season more generally made me feel like I was actually watching United. It cemented my affinity for Flamengo and they are now firmly my second team.

What a thread, more United supporters should be aware of what happened in that final, it was such a story. How I miss those Libertadores nights with Tim Vickery co-commentating. :drool:

“Hoje tem gol do Gabigol!”

Champagne Football

Mad to think the biggest club in Brazil and Latin America has not been in the libertadores final for 38 years.

They are by a mile the biggest club in Brazil, so the celebrations in Brazil must have been insane.

Brazil clubs have dominated the libertadores for the past decade yet strangely that hasn't translated to the national team.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Felt nice. My feeling for now is that Flamengo should sign Andreas Pereira, He would love to be there.

Son

I like Flamengo since I always liked their shirt as a kid. Red and Black is a lucky colour obviously.

On a different note I don’t get how River Plate managed to get relegated in 2011 then reach 2 Copa L finals in quick succession not long after!

That was one quick turnaround in fortune.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I'm not a United supporter, but I was very happy to see them win it after 38 long years, what late drama ! The final was televised on a free to air channel in the UK (the BBC) which helped as well.

Previously Flamengo only winning the Copa Libertadores once given their size, resources, huge fanbase etc, seemed even crazier to me than Juve 'only winning the CL twice or United 'only' winning in 3 times. Even now, clubs from Rio only winning the tournament a combined total of 3 times (2 for Flamengo and 1 for Vasco da Gama) compared to teams from Porto Alegre winning it 5 teams for example (3 for Gremio and 2 for Internacional) seems strange.

In general, I'd assume that Brazilian clubs have significantly larger budgets than clubs from other CONMEBOL countries including Argentinean ones in modern times, so I guess Brazilian clubs should be expected to dominate the Copa Libertadores, though 4 out of the 5 previous finals didn't have a Brazilian club in them.

2019 was certainly a special year for Flamengo, also winning the Brasileirao and the Rio State Championship.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Why do you create new threads for every loose thought that rattles around your head?
Why does it bother you? The effort they put into their threads is 10 fold what the majority of posters put into their posts (myself included). They always look for an interesting or unconventional angle and should be commended for opening up debates and discussions.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Why does it bother you? The effort they put into their threads is 10 fold what the majority of posters put into their posts (myself included). They always look for an interesting or unconventional angle and should be commended for opening up debates and discussions.
Right. Don't understand what is so hard about live and let live with mat.

By now, people know the deal. If he's not their cup of tea, avoid. For the remainder, there's a fair amount of knowledge and micro detail that will have them leave having learned something or other they perhaps had no inkling of beforehand.

diarm

One of my staff is from Brazil and is an absolutely fanatical Flamengo supporter. She had the game on in the kitchen that night and the place went absolutely bananas.

For the second goal, we had the entire kitchen team, myself, the KP, a waiter and 4 customers (who'd stuck their head in to see what the commotion was about after the first goal), all gathered around her phone absolutely losing the run of ourselves!

She video called her dad (who had been ill all year) after the game and he was in absolute floods of tears. Seeing how much it meant to them both was incredible and has pretty much established Flamengo as my South American side for life now!

Uniquim

Flamengo is one of the three teams I support and watch, so I was delighted! Was a great end to the final.
Flamengo won the league less than 24 hours later too, when Palmeiras failed to beat Grêmio.
They also managed to bring Liverpool into extra time in the World Club Cup final. That was Flamengo's 77th (!!) game of the season.

They're a really fun team to watch these days. They've created a really good side in such a short time, and the attacking line provide a lot of entertainment, with Bruno Henrique, Gabigol, de Arrascaeta & Ribeiro. Lots of familiar faces for European football fans too. Diego Alves (ex-Valencia), Rafinha (Bayern, Schalke), Filipe Luís (Atlético & Chelsea) etc.

btw, I think Gabigol was sent off for sarcastically applauding the referee btw, just wasn't showed on-screen. Was already booked for his goal celebration a minute earlier.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I thought it was great. I’ve been a minor Boca fan so seeing River Plate lose especially in that manner was glorious.

Also good for Gabigol after his failed European adventure. He had a poor game until those two goals.

Chipper

Adulterer.
I didn't know about it and I don't care.

To pre-empt the question of what I'm doing in the thread - he asked. I'm a United supporter, the words "How do you, United supporters feel" caught my eye and apply to me so I'm answering.

matbezlima

@matbezlima Just out of interest, which country are you from?

Thanks for the thread, my interest in Brazilian football has almost died a death - Tim Vickery with his articles keeps the flame flickering.
I'm brazilian.

Why do you create new threads for every loose thought that rattles around your head?
I'm anxious and obssessive and I'm Asperger Syndrome. I also had already decided and said in the OP of this thread that I won't post another thread for at least a month and I'll probably be out of the forum for at least a month too, I made all the threads that I want and I will focus on other more important things in my life. I need to work in my behavior. Goodbye.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I'm brazilian.

I'm anxious and obssessive and I'm Asperger Syndrome. I also had already decided and said in the OP of this thread that I won't post another thread for at least a month and I'll probably be out of the forum for at least a month too, I made all the threads that I want and I will focus on other more important things in my life. I need to work in my behavior. Goodbye.
You're fine. With no football on there's no harm in someone being keen to create threads and find football to talk about. Better that than a dead football forum. Or, worse again, more of the tedious transfer threads that blight every summer.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Sorry, you asked the question, I gave you an honest answer.
It's akin to me heading into any golf thread and screeching 'WHO CARES'
or you know, you can just avoid threads you don't care about.

I'm brazilian.

Mate don't take it seriously, your thread is fine. The match was great and I remember watching it, so like another poster mentioned it was probably shown live over here in the UK. I've always wanted to watch a football match in Brazil, hopefully I'll cross that off my list one day.

:lol::lol:

The man speaks for many of us
The man speaks for the morons

TrustInOle

I'm brazilian.

Not much of a poster these days and just casually come online to try and fill the void of no football. But regardless of what some might say, your threads are very insightful and obviously powered by your love of the game. Would never even have known about this game but for this thread and I must say, the highlights were a treat indeed. Brought back some cherrished childhood emotions of watching the 99' final with my Grandad. The never say die attitude of the players this day will resonate with most United fans, being that our club is built on such foundations.

Keep up the insightfullness, nothing wrong with showing your love and knowledge ofthe game my friend.

matbezlima

Not much of a poster these days and just casually come online to try and fill the void of no football. But regardless of what some might say, your threads are very insightful and obviously powered by your love of the game. Would never even have known about this game but for this thread and I must say, the highlights were a treat indeed. Brought back some cherrished childhood emotions of watching the 99' final with my Grandad. The never say die attitude of the players this day will resonate with most United fans, being that our club is built on such foundations.

Keep up the insightfullness, nothing wrong with showing your love and knowledge ofthe game my friend.
Mate don't take it seriously, your thread is fine. The match was great and I remember watching it, so like another poster mentioned it was probably shown live over here in the UK. I've always wanted to watch a football match in Brazil, hopefully I'll cross that off my list one day.
Huge thanks to both of you for the support!

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Man i was really glad Flamengo won as i was a bit fed up with River's antics and overall strategy of stiffling Flamengo's football. Still, credit to them, Gallardo had them play like Simeone's Atlético and there's equal merit in that football ad well. Just Flamenco deserved it more as overall it's the stronger team.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I remember hearing about it but hadn't seen or read anything more.

Sounds like it was pretty damn similar to the 99 final?

RooneyLegend

Huge thanks to both of you for the support!
Do you watch alot of the local game and if so what do you think of the standard of the league technically, physically and tactically?. How would it stack up against La liga for instance? how many players there that are uknown could cut the grade at top teams in europe? Havent been a serious follower of the Brazilian game since about a decade ago.

gormless

My main memory of the match was that it was pretty poor quality, with 2 goals at the end to make it reasonably dramatic.
Whether it was poor quality because the standard of South American football is poorer than European (which is what I suspect) or because nerves got to both teams in the final, I cannot say for definite.

I hope Flamengo win the club World Cup if it happens because for some inexplicable reason South American’s really care about it, whereas the Champions League winners generally do not give a feck about it.

And you can understand why to be fair , being sent to the other side of the world to beat some Asian no hopers before playing the South American winners who want to run themselves into the ground to win some tin pot trophy.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
It's akin to me heading into any golf thread and screeching 'WHO CARES'
or you know, you can just avoid threads you don't care about.

The man speaks for the morons
I can do whatever I want, thanks for your interest. I can avoid threads...I can give some honest input....as I’ve chose to do here. Stay safe

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
I can do whatever I want, thanks for your interest. I can avoid threads...I can give some honest input....as I’ve chose to do here. Stay safe
Why did you choose not to avoid in this case? Just curious, like.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Why did you choose not to avoid in this case? Just curious, like.
I felt like answering the question. It was very specific. As a united fan I don’t give a fcuk about what happens at some club thousands of miles away. Therefore I gave my honest answer to the question posed. Why do you feel like I need to justify my response?

Yagami

Good post resistant
I didn't watch the final, but it was cool hearing about it 20 years after 99.

I was rooting for Gremio throughout the tournament (I watch them for Matheus Henrique and, to a lesser extent, Everton) so when Flamengo knocked them out I lost interest.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
I felt like answering the question. It was very specific. As a united fan I don’t give a fcuk about what happens at some club thousands of miles away. Therefore I gave my honest answer to the question posed. Why do you feel like I need to justify my response?
Strange attitude. Enjoy your evening.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Do you watch alot of the local game and if so what do you think of the standard of the league technically, physically and tactically?. How would it stack up against La liga for instance? how many players there that are uknown could cut the grade at top teams in europe? Havent been a serious follower of the Brazilian game since about a decade ago.
There are 3 players off the top of my head that I like and think could play for a good European team:

Matheus Henrique (Gremio)
Everton (Gremio)
Leo Sena (Goias)