Film How do you watch movies? (not hardware)

Drawfull

The discussion in the fallout of the Super League, with regards to the youth of today's apparent lack of attention span got me thinking and from a personal perspective, I'm not too sure it's confined to just the younger peoples.

I watch a lot of movies a week, not new ones all the time, but at least one day I'd guess gets played from start to finish. But I would guess that I only really watch one a week or so, that is, with no distractions - phone / laptop off or elsewhere.

Most of the time, I will have the phone out or be on the Internet at the same time, often missing crucial plot points but too not-arsed to rewind or whatever. Which means sometimes it can take me multiple viewings to know what went on.

Do you have a dedicated movie night, or are you always on your phone too? Or somewhere in between?

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
I don't really anymore, but he last few times I did I spread them out over a couple of nights watching in bed, like a two part special. I wasn't doing anything else though at the time so they had my full attention.

Mostly just because I'm not into films enough these days to spend a couple of hours on them.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Our general rule of thumb is no phones when we're watching a movie or a tv show together, so that helps. If I'm watching something by myself I can have a nasty habit of getting the phone out if I lose a bit of interest and then somehow missing ten minutes of the show/movie, even if it's one I like, so a lot of the time I try stick my phone on charge in another room now instead.

Oldyella

I probably actually focus on a movie or show a few times a week. For example I sat and watched falcon and Winter Soldier and will do the same for Invincible, but I often have a movie or show on as background noise while I work, or play a game etc. Normally something I have seen before or have a passing interest in so not worried if I miss the odd moment here or there.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I properly watch them and tend to put time aside throughout the week. I usually get through 3/4 a week.

I get what you're saying though because I had to explictly create this structure, which came from being too distracted generally. Thankfully it's now routine.

P.s. Nicholas Carr's book The Shallows is an excellent book about attention span in the digital age.

Last edited:

Drawfull

I probably actually focus on a movie or show a few times a week. For example I sat and watched falcon and Winter Soldier and will do the same for Invincible, but I often have a movie or show on as background noise while I work, or play a game etc. Normally something I have seen before or have a passing interest in so not worried if I miss the odd moment here or there.
Yes, i always have something on and after mid-morning it's normally a movie that I've seen a lot.

Drawfull

I properly watch them and tend to put time aside throughout the week to watch them. I usually get through 3/4 a week.

I get what you're saying though because I had to explictly create this structure, which came from being too distracted. Thankfully it's now routine.

P.s. Nicholas Carr's book The Shallows is an excellent book on attention in the digital age. And to a lesser extent Mind Game by Susan Greenfield.
I've started to do this either Fri or Sat nights, and it's becoming more of a habit so I hope it sticks. That was the thing, I'd put something on every night, but miss most of it. Never used to matter really, but now with no cinema to speak of, new stuff tends to be time limited rentals (I've no patience) so I was pissing more money away than normal or being forced to re-rent if I wanted to watch it properly.

I haven't got time to read, blimey. Audible now for me and I miss most of that, too.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
For me my film viewing habits depend on the film. If its easy going schlock like Godzilla vs Kong/any comic book hero film I would tend to watch it on my laptop in the late evening.

Now, if it s a Lynch,Tarko,Ozu (3 examples) film I would tend to watch it in the best viewing experience possible.

So,yeah, I'm a snob.