How far can we go without attacking fullbacks?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Shaw is better than AWB by some distance. The honey moon period for AWB will be over next season and people will be frustrated by his complete lack of ability on the ball. He makes it easy to press us and other than sliding tackle, his defensive side of the game is average.

I just feel in the long run he will need to be upgraded and thats staggering considering how much we spent on him.
I’m delighted by AWB as a defender. That’s what he was bought for as we were leaking 50 goals a year.

He is still very young so I hope he can add the attacking elements to his game.

But generally speaking I prefer defenders who can actually defend first. Other stuff is a bonus.

E-mal

I’m delighted by AWB as a defender. That’s what he was bought for as we were leaking 50 goals a year.

He is still very young so I hope he can add the attacking elements to his game.

But generally speaking I prefer defenders who can actually defend first. Other stuff is a bonus.
I respect your opinion mate, just feel football has moved on from defensive full backs and to be a truly top dominating team one will need the fullbacks to be great at going forward.

Anyway I pray he gets better and at thesame time hopeful Laird lives up to his potential and give us a different option.

Ekeke

Do people really not think our defensive fullbacks and in particular the upgrade from Young to AWB defensively isnt one of the main reasons we had a good defensive record this season? We actually had the least conceded goals from open play. Where we were prone to goals was set pieces.

We had attacking fullbacks in previous seasons in Valencia and Young, and they were found wanting defensively. And last season we shipped a load of goals so we spent £120 million on defenders. AWB is very important to our defense.

Now that doesnt mean there arent times when you'd want to play a different style and bring Dalot off the bench or something. But in order to do that we'd need to play without Pogba because the difference with Liverpool's system for example is that their midfielders hold their shape and get back to help the 2 CBs who are the only ones who stay in their own half when Liverpool have the ball.

We cant have Pogba and Fernandes through the middle, and then Davies on the left and an attacking rightback on the right. Liverpool cant do that so why could we? Bayern dont have a Pogba in there either as Thiago and Goretzka are both pretty good ball winners. And both Liverpool who play a different system and Bayern who play the same system have midfielders with more mobility than Matic, who win the ball and do their defensive duties.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I respect your opinion mate, just feel football has moved on from defensive full backs and to be a truly top dominating team one will need the fullbacks to be great at going forward.

Anyway I pray he gets better and at thesame time hopeful Laird lives up to his potential and give us a different option.
I don’t disagree re the requirements for a top full back.

but given our finances, I think we have made our choice at RB for at least a few years. So the only choice is to coach AWB to become the full back we need him to be. Agree with you on that!

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Shaw's attacking game is underrated. He's a fantastic combination player. AWB is very bad in attack generally.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Do people really not think our defensive fullbacks and in particular the upgrade from Young to AWB defensively isnt one of the main reasons we had a good defensive record this season? We actually had the least conceded goals from open play. Where we were prone to goals was set pieces.

We had attacking fullbacks in previous seasons in Valencia and Young, and they were found wanting defensively. And last season we shipped a load of goals so we spent £120 million on defenders. AWB is very important to our defense.

Now that doesnt mean there arent times when you'd want to play a different style and bring Dalot off the bench or something. But in order to do that we'd need to play without Pogba because the difference with Liverpool's system for example is that their midfielders hold their shape and get back to help the 2 CBs who are the only ones who stay in their own half when Liverpool have the ball.
We cant have Pogba and Fernandes through the middle, and then Davies on the left and an attacking rightback on the right. Liverpool cant do that so why could we? Bayern dont have a Pogba in there either as Thiago and Goretzka are both pretty good ball winners. And both Liverpool who play a different system and Bayern who play the same system have midfielders with more mobility than Matic, who win the ball and do their defensive duties.
Very good point!

I often think of Liverpool as having a defensive 5some as their core (CB, CB, MC, MC, MC) and that core is surrounded by ball players (LB, RB, RIvF, CF, LIvF). The defensive core mitigates for the fullbacks when they are marauding up the pitch and out of position.

We play in a very different way, so would have to dramatically rethink our midfield, if we decided to hire full backs like Davies and TAA.

Eddy_JukeZ

Valencia and Young are now considered attacking full-backs?

They were terrible going forward.

Ekeke

Very good point!

I often think of Liverpool as having a defensive 5some as their core (CB, CB, MC, MC, MC) and that core is surrounded by ball players (LB, RB, RIvF, CF, LIvF). The defensive core mitigates for the fullbacks when they are marauding up the pitch and out of position.

We play in a very different way, so would have to dramatically rethink our midfield, if we decided to hire full backs like Davies and TAA.
Yep exactly. We cant have it all. For years we've had fans yearning for ball playing CBs and to play more like City. Now we've got some players more like City with Pogba and Fernandes a bit like Silva and KDB playing through the middle. We obviously still play nothing like them but we've got some of the players to try it which we didnt in the past.

City dont have Liverpool's fullbacks either. In fact the only team with fullbacks producing that much and being that important to the attack is Liverpool.

If we want to go in the Liverpool direction, we do have some players who fit that style more like Dalot as the attacking rightback and Fred as one of the midfielders just trying to hold shape with more mobility than Matic. But a lot of our best players wouldn't fit into Liverpool's style. Pogba wouldn't get into the team because he doesnt do what Liverpool need from their midfielders. He'd replace Keita as the bench option.

Fernandes would be part of their forward line options playing from the left or right or something. I dont think he could play Firminho's role.

So essentially we can try to play with City's approach of attacking midfielders coming through the middle into attack and some ball playing CBs or we can play with Liverpool's style of having 2x Dani Alves as your fullbacks and pushing them on to be fulltime wingers as the wingers get in the box.

But we cannot do both. You have to do what makes their systems work, not just the flashy bits that are the end result of the system working.

Ekeke

Young had the 7th most key passes from a fullback in 18/19

They were certainly frustrating at times, but they did help the attack with more focus than defending

Eddy_JukeZ

Young had the 7th most key passes from a fullback in 18/19

They were certainly frustrating at times, but they did help the attack with more focus than defending
The key passes stat is highly deceiving.

It's just a pass that leads to a shot.

If Pogba plays a sideways pass to Bruno from 35 m and Bruno takes a shot, it's counted as a key pass.

Ekeke

The key passes stat is highly deceiving.

It's just a pass that leads to a shot.

If Pogba plays a sideways pass to Bruno from 35 m and Bruno takes a shot, it's counted as a key pass.
Yes. Exactly what you would want from your fullbacks, getting the ball to someone else who is in position for a shot. What else do you want them to do?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Shaw's attacking game is underrated. He's a fantastic combination player. AWB is very bad in attack generally.
I think "fantastic" is pushing it, quite a bit. Since he got competition for his spot he's looked the most reliable going forward of those that we have. When he first joined he looked a lot more purposeful in the final third.

Jibbs

Every title winning squad squad has at least one world class attacking fullback. We have none right now.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Yes. Exactly what you would want from your fullbacks, getting the ball to someone else who is in position for a shot. What else do you want them to do?
There's a bit more to it than that, if you're talking attacking full back. Crossing well and at the right time, stretching the pitch, making continual runs and overlaps to provide options and make space for others, be technically adept at beating their man.

But sure, if you're just talking a regular placeholder full back (in attack) it would be useful for them to get the ball to someone who can do something.

A-man

Terrible is one thing, but they can still have been attacking FB. Young was hitting crosses like there was to tomorrow.

Robertd0803

About 25-30 yards from the opposition goal before we pass it back inside probably.

Revan

Assumptionman
Funny. I think Shaw is a better player than AWB.

And I'd rather upgrade on AWB 1st.
Shaw is quite better than AWB, but the problem is that Shaw gives you only half of the matches. So a fairer comparison is: is Shaw (playing roughly 60% of matches, though in other seasons played less) with Williams in the remaining better than AWB who can play every game? And the answer is no.

I think that both need upgrades, but Shaw needs to be upgraded first. If he could have stayed fit then yes, better to keep him. I actually hope that Laird benches AWB in the next year or too, while for LB we definitely need to sign someone.

saivet

Every title winning squad squad has at least one world class attacking fullback. We have none right now.
Leicester had Fuchs and Simpson and Chelsea under Conte had Alonso and Moses. I know they've had Walker at RB, but City have pretty much had a hole at LB for years.

stevoc

Young had a go and at least made an effort to get up the pitch even if he was largely poor.

But no stat will convince me Valencia was an attacking fullback for the majority of his time in the position for United. Run to the half-way line, stop, turn inside, pass it back, then rinse repeat was about all you got out of him most games. Either that or shattering fullbacks shins by smashing the ball into them over and over again.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Shaw is just a 6/10 footballer for me and does nothing to a high level. At least with AWB, he is probably the best fullback in the world in 1v1 situatuons, is more athletic than shaw, and nowhere near as injury prone. He has limitations and isnt a flawless but he does enough on the defensive end to earn his keep. Down the line we might need something more than AWB but imo he gives us more than Shaw.
For me not even close. AWB is better one on one. And that is it. In every other area Shaw is miles better. For starters Shaw knows to play football.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
If Shaw can stay fit for a season he’s good enough. He always gets injured though and he takes about 10 games to get back into the swing of things. He needs a left footed backup. We saw the competition of Williams pushed him but I’m not sure if Williams is a future United left back. Maybe he’ll be a utility player.

AWB will definitely improve over the next season or 2. He’s 22 after a huge move and he’s already played a lot of football for someone so young. He was ever present this season and the jump in expectations is huge. We’ve seen when he’s good he’s very good and he can be effective going forward. His crosses against Chelsea and Sheffield Utd for martial are perfect examples. He just needs to put it all together consistently and he will eventually. I’m not worried about him. I would be up for getting a more intense attacking player for rotation. Hopefully Laird is the man.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Were they fullbacks?
The point is the fullbacks occupying the attacking space in top teams now cause the wingers cut in. City were different cause they kept their wingers wide.
Its an exeption to the rule. Most of the other top teams had top fullbacks besides walker was great during that time

Suedesi

The point is the fullbacks occupying the attacking space in top teams now cause the wingers cut in. City were different cause they kept their wingers wide.
Its an exeption to the rule. Most of the other top teams had top fullbacks besides walker was great during that time
The point is let's not move the goalposts. The guy said every title winning team has had at least a world class fullback. That's not true. City didn't. Chelsea didn't. Leicester didn't. Next.

Glorio

We don't need our fullbacks to be serial creators like Trent and Robertson. We have a creative midfield for that, we just need them making runs and creating space for the attackers, with the ability to put a decent ball in when they do find some space themselves.

Shaw can do that I believe, in fact he regularly creates space on the left for Rashford and has very good ball control at speed. He just needs to go forward with more conviction to actually whip those crosses in if space opens up, and from his early career, we know he definitely has it in his locker. AWB will improve - he's only young and has already improved on his assist numbers.

Hawks2008

For me not even close. AWB is better one on one. And that is it. In every other area Shaw is miles better. For starters Shaw knows to play football.
Shaw literally does nothing to a decent level except short passing, the rest of his game is bang average . AWB has a narrow skill set but it's effective, Shaw isn't in the same conversation as AWB defensively at the same time isn’t an effective crosser or dribbler so I hardly think he "knows how to play football" he's just vanilla.

el3mel

I'll do anything to have someone like Davies on our flank. We need this kind of threat from our fullbacks.

ghagua

We need fullbacks who are able to offer an attacking option when they need to. That could bring a totally different dynamics to the team. As a former winger, Bissaka's attacking is a total joke. Shaw has shown he is capable, but that was before his horrific injury. It has and will continue to be a mental block for him.

KeanoMagicHat

We don’t need attacking full backs if we continue to play with two attacking midfielders.

It’s all about balance, Liverpool have to play a more workmanlike midfield to make up for how attacking their full backs are and they create chances in that area. We can create our chances through Pogba and Fernandes who are free to roam in the knowledge they have great defensive full backs behind them.

This has worked whenever Shaw Wan Bissaka Pogba and Fernandes were all on the pitch. The problem is when one or two are missing and the replacements don’t fit into this balance. For example Williams has nothing defensively on Shaw at the moment, so they are a little more exposed. The likes of Lingard or Pereira in attacking positions weren’t creative enough with more defensive full backs etc.

murali_red

Hard to say. They make it easier. Only relying on attackers to create is one dimensional and football from yesteryear. Our approach seems to be to put together great individual attackers rather than the whole team contributing directly offensively. We will see, but i am skeptical we will win big trophies with that approach.
Yes, that is why Ole picks almost the same team everytime and it's predictable. We don't play a system where a player is replaced by another decent player. That's why selling Countinho didn't affect Liverpool that bad. We rely heavily on our stars and playing then week in week out may wear out