How far United are from winning Champions League?

Gasolin

To be fair we tend to play better under Ole when considered underdogs, but still is a long long shot from there to champions.
No I think we are now ok dominating the possession too but we are way better when we force ourselves to play fast because that doesn't give the other teams time to structure their defense. We talk about being underdog or not, but look at how up there we press their full backs and center backs, even against City, Liverpool, Chelsea... we are very very aggressive in those games. Against weaker opposition, the team is now learning and not losing the ball when attacking with Bruno and Pogba will help tremendously to win those weaker games too.

kambinks

I'd probably think we would've been in the midst of top 3 if it weren't for the long Rashford, and martial injuries or even just if we've had Pogba available so I don't think were that far off in terms of actually qualifying. I'd probably fancy us be progress pretty well now with Bruno being an alternate to Pogba and Idghalo being a decent cover. That said I think we still need a decent DM for games where we might get outclassed in mid or just to hang on to a lead, and a proper RW.

Pretty optimistic in challenging but winning would probably need a few years more of progress and like with most teams, luck.

SAFMUTD

No I think we are now ok dominating the possession too but we are way better when we force ourselves to play fast because that doesn't give the other teams time to structure their defense. We talk about being underdog or not, but look at how up there we press their full backs and center backs, even against City, Liverpool, Chelsea... we are very very aggressive in those games. Against weaker opposition, the team is now learning and not losing the ball when attacking with Bruno and Pogba will help tremendously to win those weaker games too.
Against top opossition Ole had majorly set up the team with 5 at the back 3 in midfield and two on attack and our game plan has been basically counterattack. I think we are very far to be controling possession in those games, but if we are going to play a three man midfield with Bruno and Pogba then we must dominate possession otherwise we will get cought with our pants down.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Or Arthur, you do have a great midfield to be honest.
I agree that our midfield is quite good. There are two main weaknesses in the team:

1. Defense is lacking, we need a Pique replacement.
2. We don't have any real wingers though (our play is entirely central), and this lack of width makes us super predictable.

reddevilchennai

1) Sancho
2) Pogba stays
3) Partey/Zakaria
4) Upamecano
5) LB
6) World class striker

On top of these we need a manager like Nagelsmann.

Even with these changes, we won't win it for two three years as the team needs to gel together and understand the manager's philosophy and playing style.

We are that far away.

TheReligion

Abusive
Im sure there have been more impressive come backs than that one, just the Liverpool against Barca and Barca against PSG come to mind.
In your opinion there may well be but it's a fact that United made history that night hence me saying so earlier. There's plenty of great come backs but not all are record breaking.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Its not negativity, but just look at the scenario. Bruno gets injured and we are back again to struggle to break low block teams. Thats why I mention 2 worldclass players, and 4 good ones. Not necessarily starters but I cant simply imagine a team starting Pereira or Lingard winning the champions league, and currently we are one injury away from that scenario.

now your turn,how many players do you think we need to win the UCL?
Counter argument:

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Just wondering how far we are at the moment. I know many will say that we need to qualify for it first but what if:-

1.We do qualify,
2. Pogba stays, signs new contract and starts playing well,
3. If we do sign our number one target i.e. Sancho,

what else do we need to be challanging for the Champions League title again? I would say one more midfielder and one central defender.
Where are you buying your mind altering drugs? Send me some.

United need alot more.

A Settled and experienced centre half pair
Two solid fullbacks that can defend and attack
A settled Midfield
A lethal front 3.

A mentality to rival the Ferguson days!

We can probably fill some of those positions from existing players but we need more quality for the first team.

I actually think if we ever win it again I will probably cry

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Bayern Alaba, Lewandowski, Gnabry
Alaba? Davies has been a revelation this season, Thiago and Kimmich have been consistently great, Müller is rejuvenated, while Alaba hasn't been anything special for a while now.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The quality there is less than before but we’re not as good as those in the knockouts.

Our main problem has been playing at a high enough tempo throughout a game. Consistency with that is surely about fitness and mentality, but also the quality to play at a higher tempo and not feck up. Our passing is improving, and our squad is getting filled with the right mentality.

I’d say we can look alright in it in the next few years all going well, but you never know when the squad will go into another incredibly long slump and look bottom half quality again. Also don’t know how much this quarantine will affect us. It will slow our progression a lot if we can’t buy and could really set us back, as the more time goes on without resolving issues in the squad the more new ones crop up.

Moiraine

Where are you buying your mind altering drugs? Send me some.

United need alot more.

A Settled and experienced centre half pair
Two solid fullbacks that can defend and attack
A settled Midfield
A lethal front 3.

A mentality to rival the Ferguson days!

We can probably fill some of those positions from existing players but we need more quality for the first team.

I actually think if we ever win it again I will probably cry
That’s unnecessary.

SAFMUTD

Alaba? Davies has been a revelation this season, Thiago and Kimmich have been consistently great, Müller is rejuvenated, while Alaba hasn't been anything special for a while now.
Alaba is playing mostly as CB this season, Ive not watched him enough to make a proper opinion but the few I'd watch him he has been class. Speed, strenght and plays out of the back pretty well.

Anyway my point is that those teams have really special players which we currently lack, while we have exciting prospects that may become special.

Tel074

You mention Chelsea as if they were contestants or something, I agree we are closer now than we were but we still pretty far.

like I said we are not even top 10 favorites damn we aren’t even qualified for it, if it wasnt for city’s ban we would be 100% out for next year again.
How would we 100% not be playing CL next season ? We are a few points of Chelsea and where playing really well since Bruno came in .

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
As long as we don’t have any world class attacker, it is hard.

SAFMUTD

How would we 100% not be playing CL next season ? We are a few points of Chelsea and where playing really well since Bruno came in .
As of today mate we are 5th on the table, if City’s ban wasn’t a thing then we would be out of UCLs next year is simple as that.
Of course if the season is restarted and we manage to climb in to top 4 is another thing but Im talking about the current situation not happy suppositions.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
VVD gets injured and then what? You can say that about everyone. Teams win the CL with worse players picking up medals than Lingard and Andreas. Liverpool in 05 weren't great and neither were Chelsea when they won it in 12. When it gets to the knock out phase anything can happen. Just ask PSG when United made history (with a weaker team and squad) the previous season.
Half the teams in the CL can do a Chelsea and win it with huge amounts of luck and bus parking. I think the question is more about how far off we are from having a team that is considered good enough to win it on their own merit.

I think we're 4-5 players and a few years away from even getting close to that.

Le Red

We could definitely win it with what we have right now. Not likely though, I'd say it's about the same odds Borussia Dortmund has on average.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Any team will win it if the final is vs Tottenham. Usually it is the final that is the hardest.

Liverpool the lucky bastards.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
From winning the CL its almost impossible to tell.

From competing I'd say not too far away. I'd actually say we're closer to that than we are to competing for the Premier league. On any given day we can compete with the big teams as we've seen all season long, whilst being on a level that Liverpool this season and City last season have achieved we are a long, long way away from getting there.

A first 11 including Sancho, Rashford and Pogba added to what we saw the last couple of months would be a tough match up for anyone on the planet.

Tel074

As of today mate we are 5th on the table, if City’s ban wasn’t a thing then we would be out of UCLs next year is simple as that.
Of course if the season is restarted and we manage to climb in to top 4 is another thing but Im talking about the current situation not happy suppositions.
Sorry I didn't realise you meant as of now .

mshnsh

I think you are still stuck in 2015 sir.

Frenkie is our best midfielder nowadays.
Under Setien busquets looks much better than under velverde but I find Arthur to be Barcelona's best midfielder. De Jong comes across as a headless chicken at times with no positional discipline and taking too many unnecessary touches.

UpWithRivers

Optimistically I actually think its possible with Sancho + DM and Pogba stays. The way Ole plays on the counter has shown to be very effective against the top teams. If we get a good draw and manage to avoid teams like Althetico Madrid (Simone would destroy us) then why not. Barca, Real are not the same. Juve/PSG can be beaten. Man City out. Liverpool will be tough but its possible. Who else? But then there is also a huge slice of luck, especially with injuries. If we have a Liverpool level of injuries and the first eleven are fit for key games we should be able to challenge anyone, If we are bringing in Lingard and Periera then we might as well not turn up.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
A long way off. Need real quality up top, I have always liked Rashford but for me he should of been the understudy to a true world class striker up top. Not leading the line for us at such a young age.

I get what Ole is trying to do, build a core squad from young players, who will mature into talented stars, Martial, James, McTominay, Rashford, etc. I guess expectations sort of get the better of me, or maybe it is impatience. And I feel like we should be buying the finished article and pushing for trophies, with CL being the pinnacle.

RoyH1

Far away. We need to have much more depth, specially in midfield and defense before we can challenge for the biggest club trophy of all.
Baby steps. Let's start with building a winning culture again, FA Cups, then the PL before going on to playing the big boys on Wednesdays.

Jaae

Not ITK
1. Be in the competition
2. Have a handful of good players
3. Have a good tatical set-up against better teams
4. Have a lot of luck

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Barring a large slice of luck, like us in ‘05 or Chelsea in ‘12, I think you’re 4 or 5 quality first team players and a different manager away from challenging (semi-finals or better). This coming window and the fact that supposedly it will be a buyers market could see you fill some of those gaps. You need more like Bruno less like Sanchez. Recruitment has been poor since Fergie left.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
I would say about a minimum of four top class players. CB, LB, DM and CF.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
My theory is you need to be kings domestically to be kings of Europe. I’m not saying you can’t win the CL and finish outside the top 4 domestically but then you are relying on luck. Right now, if United won the CL, there would be a monumental amount of luck that would have seen this happen. We are miles off. We need to concentrate on the PL before we start concentrating in Europe.

Andy_Cole

Let’s compare with our CL winning side of 08.

Ronaldo vs Rashford
Rooney vs Sancho
Tevez vs Martial
Hargreaves vs Fred
Carrick vs Fernandes
Scholes vs Pogba
Brown vs AWB
Vidic vs Maguire
Ferdinand vs Lindelof
Evra vs Shaw
VDS vs De Gae

From that I’d say Rashford/ Sancho need to be at that world class level that they perhaps haven’t even shown yet. Our midfield now looks great on paper but may need more balance (McT for Pogba?) but Fernandes is a looking comparably to 08. Defence, Lindelof sticks out as a weak link so perhaps that could need replacing.

We’re basically a Rashford/ Sancho stepping up to become elite away I think. They have the potential in my opinion. We need a focal point to take us to that elite level.

Squad depth was great in 08 though with Giggs, Fletcher, Nani, Anderson. Right now we have depth of McT, Ighalo, James so perhaps it is comparable again.

It’s exciting times.

Champagne Football

In Klopp, Zidane and Pep, you've got 3 managers who are going to dominate the champions league for years to come. Possibly Pochettino too if the Saudi takeover of Newcastle goes through.

Can Ole mastemind champions league semi final and final wins over those guys? Right now we should be aiming to reach a CL quarter final in the next couple of years and try to build from there. Bring in Sancho and a DLP in midfield, develop Garner and Mejbri too and hope Tuanzebe can overcome injuries.

Even just getting to a CL semi with Ole in the next years would be a massive achievement considering the mess he inherited after 6 years of 2 Championship level managers and 1 spoiled Man-Baby manager. So aim for a semi in the CL in the next year's, and go from there.

Moiraine

Let’s compare with our CL winning side of 08.

Ronaldo vs Rashford
Rooney vs Sancho
Tevez vs Martial
Hargreaves vs Fred
Carrick vs Fernandes
Scholes vs Pogba
Brown vs AWB
Vidic vs Maguire
Ferdinand vs Lindelof
Evra vs Shaw
VDS vs De Gae

From that I’d say Rashford/ Sancho need to be at that world class level that they perhaps haven’t even shown yet. Our midfield now looks great on paper but may need more balance (McT for Pogba?) but Fernandes is a looking comparably to 08. Defence, Lindelof sticks out as a weak link so perhaps that could need replacing.

We’re basically a Rashford/ Sancho stepping up to become elite away I think. They have the potential in my opinion. We need a focal point to take us to that elite level.

Squad depth was great in 08 though with Giggs, Fletcher, Nani, Anderson. Right now we have depth of McT, Ighalo, James so perhaps it is comparable again.

It’s exciting times.
Good comparison. I would have liked it if i was a mod.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
A combination of Glazers and Ole = zero chance.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If Maguire becomes as good as prime Rio, De Gea back to his best, Sancho & Rashford become a world class winger & striker, Bruno nearing his peak, Martial to be more consistent and arsed Pogba, We will have a chance.

I feel like our future success will depend heavily on them. Because They will stay here for many more years (minus Pogba).