How good could Dwight Yorke have been if he'd kept his nose clean?

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I remember hating playing against him when he was at villa. And he was world class in his first season with united.

Then basically just fell off a cliff after falling out of favour with Ferguson because of his off the pitch activities.

What could he have been if he'd stayed more focused on the football?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Lost some motivation after winning the treble and off field stuff but thought his goalscoring record was still pretty good in 99/00. 00/01 onwards he drifted down. Probably would've been sold sooner by Man. United if Van Nistelrooy hadn't done his ACL. Weren't Yorke and Cole actually sold in the same transfer window or am I misremembering that?

One of the best all round strikers in the league from 95-99 period so not a bad few years even if his goalscoring wasn't as strong as likes of Wright, Ferdinand, Shearer, Fowler in those times (England were stacked upfront in those days).

VWW

I dont know why but the title of the thread made me believe you were implying that he was snorting a line of cocaine during his playing days :lol:

Big Andy

Bloke
Keeping his nose clean wasn't the problem, keeping his cock clean was however...

Lost some motivation after winning the treble and off field stuff but thought his goalscoring record was still pretty good in 99/00. 00/01 onwards he drifted down. Probably would've been sold sooner by Man. United if Van Nistelrooy hadn't done his ACL. Weren't Yorke and Cole actually sold in the same transfer window or am I misremembering that?

One of the best all round strikers in the league from 95-99 period so not a bad few years even if his goalscoring wasn't as strong as likes of Wright, Ferdinand, Shearer, Fowler in those times (England were stacked upfront in those days).
cole went first when RVN arrived. Yorke the following year. I had high hopes (stupid now…) that RVN and Yorke would be a great partnership.

both went to Blackburn and both pretty average.

Red_Aaron

Legendary shagger even before united

The step up in quality options for him must've been enormous, no wonder he was burnt out within a year

He was unbelievable that year though, I remember a performance at Chelsea, where we hardly ever play well, that was absolutely outstanding. He was taking the piss, smiling his little ass off

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Rodri Giggs mentioned that a lot of United players were shagging each other wives and girlfriends and I wouldn't be surprised if Yorkie used to be at it too.

Ryan still the king of scumbaggery though, even though Yorke wanted nothing to do with his son.

Zen86

One of the best shaggers to ever grace United. He could have been even better had football not got in the way.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He was very good in 99/00 too. After the treble, that season is rather understated, but I thought we were better in the PL in 99/00 than in the treble year. We scored a shedload and blew teams away. Won the league by a mile.

Definitely fell off after those two seasons, by which point he was 30, the certified age of death for a footballer. Maybe could've defied the odds and had 2 or 3 more good seasons if he was a bit more professional off the pitch.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
cole went first when RVN arrived. Yorke the following year. I had high hopes (stupid now…) that RVN and Yorke would be a great partnership.

both went to Blackburn and both pretty average.
Yorke barely featured much in 01/02 (00/01 he was drifting out of team but still had stuff like hat trick v Arsenal in that 6-1 win).

01/02 was fitting in all the midfielders so 4-5-1 and Scholes playing as second striker for first few months of the season and Solskjaer coming in for games here and there.

Think he was just hanging on waiting for SAF to retire and knew he was done when that decision was reversed.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Rodri Giggs mentioned that a lot of United players were shagging each other wives and girlfriends and I wouldn't be surprised if Yorkie used to be at it too.

Ryan still the king of scumbaggery though, even though Yorke wanted nothing to do with his son.
So weird.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Yorke had the potential to be one of his generation's greatest players if the levels he got up to in the treble season could've been maintained, and the way he performed was so effortless and natural, there's no reason why it couldn't have been... except, of course, his off the field activities, which were far more important to him than his United career (or football) once he had that season.

I bet he doesn't even have regrets about failing to optimise his talent, as he did it in another way instead. :p

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
As per @Mrs Smoker 's brilliant thread - his first season stats were mental! I'm guessing he went back to his shagsman ways after the first two seasons?

Damn, that first season! 51 goals/assists in 51 games! :eek:
assists weren’t a thing 20+ Years ago. But yes, it was brilliant.

we paid a big fee for him at the time, circa £12.4m - but no one expected him to have anywhere near the season and the impact he did. Phenomenal.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
The lady mentioned in that article is seriously hot. Never heard of her before today. Good work raising awareness Yorkie!

Imagine the stuff those lads got up to. That’s the PG version. The giggs stuff points towards there definitely being a darker side to it. I’d say it was absolute madness. I don’t know when it happened but I feel like sports people became the new rock stars at some point. The sheer amount of stuff that has been covered up by every club must be staggering….

The Urban Goose

Could've been doing it together too, maybe that was the secret of our success.
There were rumours around Manchester at the time that Yorke & Cole were strike partners off the pitch too, they just replaced the ball with a blonde.

Devil81

The lady mentioned in that article is seriously hot. Never heard of her before today. Good work raising awareness Yorkie!

Imagine the stuff those lads got up to. That’s the PG version. The giggs stuff points towards there definitely being a darker side to it. I’d say it was absolute madness. I don’t know when it happened but I feel like sports people became the new rock stars at some point. The sheer amount of stuff that has been covered up by every club must be staggering….
Even better I've just done some research on her and it seems Eric The King was giving it her in 2001!!

Withnail

I dont know why but the title of the thread made me believe you were implying that he was snorting a line of cocaine during his playing days :lol:
That was my first thought too :lol:

I remember her from lads mags and stuff back then. Stunning and she has a filthy look about her too.

thepolice123

Players like Yorke aren't build for longevity at the top. You make him a real professional, you take away what made he good in the first place.

For example, that ridiculous skill to beat two Juventus defenders in the dying minutes. Nobody in the world maybe except Ronaldo at that time would have tried it. And he still had the composure to round the keeper after going through.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Players like Yorke aren't build for longevity at the top. You make him a real professional, you take away what made he good in the first place.

For example, that ridiculous skill to beat two Juventus defenders in the dying minutes. Nobody in the world maybe except Ronaldo at that time would have tried it. And he still had the composure to round the keeper after going through.
More the problem the growth of the off-pitch antics is exponential and tied to the talent and success that got him, and players like him to the top in the first place. It's a common trope that befalls many a talented player, both Best and Ronaldinho being quick, off the cuff cases.

The problem with all of them, imo, is that they wouldn't trade - and you can't make them anything, which is why they are so maverick in the first place.

pastyfool

A quote from Yorke (after the 99 season)

"I was on such a high. It was ridiculous. Concorde was flying back then and I remember we went to New York. Back in the days they used to put you up with the pilot. I got to New York and I thought 'what else is there to achieve after this?' because everything else will be a failure or deemed as a failure.

"I went into the gaffer's office and said 'what are we doing? After winning the treble there's nothing to do. Can I have a year off from football with pay? Then I'll come back the next year and rejoin the team'.

"I honestly don't know what made me think that. What more could we possibly do as a team? Yeah we could repeat it but if you don't then the team is a failure. If there was a time you were going to ask the gaffer for anything, that was it. I didn't have anything to lose.

"He could only tell me to f*** off, which he did. He said 'f*** off and get lost'. It was jokingly but if he had said to take a year off then I would have done. But I knew that wasn't going to happen so I thought it was worth a try."

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
A quote from Yorke (after the 99 season)

"I went into the gaffer's office and said 'what are we doing? After winning the treble there's nothing to do. Can I have a year off from football with pay? Then I'll come back the next year and rejoin the team'.
feck me, he is unreal :lol: :lol: Not happy enough with a dream job and huge salary, he wants the huge salary for NOT working so he can shag his way round the world :lol:

Oranges038

"I was on such a high. It was ridiculous. Concorde was flying back then and I remember we went to New York. Back in the days they used to put you up with the pilot. I got to New York and I thought 'what else is there to achieve after this?' because everything

Pretty much the same as what George Best said or was said about him after winning the European Cup. Except he realised it in the showers right after the game.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
He was very good in 99/00 too. After the treble, that season is rather understated, but I thought we were better in the PL in 99/00 than in the treble year. We scored a shedload and blew teams away. Won the league by a mile.

Definitely fell off after those two seasons, by which point he was 30, the certified age of death for a footballer. Maybe could've defied the odds and had 2 or 3 more good seasons if he was a bit more professional off the pitch.
Yep. For all the talk about Chelsea/Liverpool/City reaching 90+ points, we actually already did it in 1999/2000 more or less in 2nd gear while being in treble hangover mode.