How good is the AON Training Complex?

ROFLUTION

Ive once been at Carrington's parking lot. I can confirm its truly like all other parking lots.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I don't know and I don't really care much, to be honest. After a certain point any further upgrades are in the nature of luxury and appearance, not functionality. I think we've reached that point years ago.

Ashley R1+O

This got me thinking as i was under the impression the AON training ground was one of the best around bearing in mind it was opened in 2000 and that we had recently upgraded it to include the latest MRI scanners, 3D pitches not to mention the £500k LVG spent on camera's etc etc.
Removed apparently. https://www.redcafe.net/threads/mourinho-scraps-unpopular-lvg-training-methods.419397/

The cameras, used for analysis by Van Gaal and his coaching team, were disliked by the players who saw them as a spying device, an intrusion and another unnecessary display of the Dutchman’s obsession with players adhering to his philosophy.
I love watching MUTV for all of the insights, it looks like it is genuinely one of the best in the world.

Andersons Dietician

I think City's training facilities or don't they refer to it as a village or something are supposed to be the best training facilities. Isn't there also a hotel within their training ground. I've heard someone mention its like Disney Land. Also a lot of our ex players take their kids there to train so that says a lot.

I did hear this week United are supposedly away to buy more of the ground around Carrington to build an under 23's football stadium or something along those lines.

Achilles McCool

I was going to post a discussion in the "Newbies" about training complexs/facilities in England, but I'll post here first.
I was recently in England with my son. He was invited to the Wolves Academy for a week of training. While I was there, one of the academy coaches gave me a tour of their complex and mentioned that it was ranked as the 3rd best Academy training complex in Britain. He said that it was ranked by the FA, which had 5 tiers, and only the best facilities made Tier 1.
I'll admit that the Wolves complex was State-of-the-art and beautiful, but I was surprised that a team outside of the Premier league could be ranked so high (especially an academy in the midlands :D).
He explained that the new owners had invested heavily in the new training grounds and spent over £10mil. on the indoor center alone! I asked him who was ahead of Wolves and he said only City and Chelsea. After a little digging, I found out that part of the "ranking criteria" was the facilities for the women's team(s). Obviously this made it clear why United weren't ranked in the top 3!!
I was wondering if anyone else had information about the FA's ranking system and full list. I've tried to google this, but it only gave me some articles about the England National training center and very little about clubs outside of City and Chelsea.
I've also been to the Cliff in 1993 and other complexes over the years, but I'm curious if United have truly fallen down the list when comparing Training Complexs.
-sorry if this was a little long.

Reactions: jojojo

Gopher Brown

Too bloody pampering for the players judging by our injury list. Rip it down, get them a portacabin with no hot water and a muddy pitch covered in broken glass and rocks. That'll toughen them up.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Too bloody pampering for the players judging by our injury list. Rip it down, get them a portacabin with no hot water and a muddy pitch covered in broken glass and rocks. That'll toughen them up.
Well, it won us the World Cup in '66 :p

Gopher Brown

Didn't Milan have doctors look at Beckham's teeth or something and after fixing them it helped with his fitness or stance?
From what I've heard this is a bit pseudoscientific. The Milan lab think all problems can be cured by fixing players teeth.

Still, Maldini played until he was 40, so it must be true.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I think City's training facilities or don't they refer to it as a village or something are supposed to be the best training facilities. Isn't there also a hotel within their training ground. I've heard someone mention its like Disney Land. Also a lot of our ex players take their kids there to train so that says a lot.

I did hear this week United are supposedly away to buy more of the ground around Carrington to build an under 23's football stadium or something along those lines.
Bunch of spoiled rich kids. No loss there.

Loublaze

ATLien
Carrington you mean?
Carrington is also the name of City's training center and the name of the village around both training facilities I believe. Its a general name based on the location but United's facilities are really called Trafford training centre and AON training complex for sponsorship reasons

stubie

How come some U18 games are still played at the cliff?

I thought all Home games at that level were played at Carrington.

fergies coat

The cliff was better. I remember watching them train there when I was nine years old. (Imagine that nowadays) Andrei kanchelskis bumped into me and never even said sorry.