How good was Marco Delvecchio?

abundance

Supports
Inter
He wasn't big like Mandzukic, he was normal sized
hehe, you had me check and you're right, I remembered him more towering than he is, at 1.86m

Still, for comparison purpose, I'd say 1.86 in the 90s can be in the same bracket as 1.90 in the 10s

And yeah, he had also a thinner frame than Mandzukic.
Anyway, the similarity in their contribution to the team stands IMHO.
A less imposing, faster Mandzukic, always fighting for balls and doing grunt work all over the attacking front and the wings, but still with moment of class and individual brilliance

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Still, for comparison purpose, I'd say 1.86 in the 90s can be in the same bracket as 1.90 in the 10s
No, not really. Delvecchio didn't have a significant size advantage over most defenders he camr across, unlike Mandzukic. Which made him much less dominant in the air, and in physical duels in general

Delvecchio was normal sized. Mandzukic was an outlier

T_Model101

Not good enough to have his own thread
But he still has long hair it seems, fair play to the lad at 50

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Roma were stacked in the end of 90s/early 200s in final third. Totti, Delvecchio, Montella and then added Batistuta for 2000-01 which gave them the extra quality needed to win the Scudetto. I also remember a wide player called Mancini doing very well when he first broke in around that time but don't think he ever quite kicked on.

Edit: Just looked up Mancini's Wiki to see what he's up to now..... :annoyed:

They underachieved a bit in Europe in that time.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Roma were stacked in the end of 90s/early 200s in final third. Totti, Delvecchio, Montella and then added Batistuta for 2000-01 which gave them the extra quality needed to win the Scudetto. I also remember a wide player called Mancini doing very well when he first broke in around that time but don't think he ever quite kicked on.

Roma always seemed to have a great team from around 2000-2006. They were one of the most enjoyable teams to play as on Championship/Football Manager for that reason.

I also find it slightly mad how Cafu was 30 in that 2000/2001 scudetto winning season and then didn't join Milan until he was 33 where arguably most people associate him with.

midou

Very good player, I'd say a tier 2 attacker who was great at supporting the stars like Totti, Montella and Batistuta. A little better then Kuyt (when he was an attacker), a little worse than Thomas Muller.
Too bad Capello didn't like Montella because he was fantastic, my favorite Italian player from those days.
We used to laugh at Delvecchio's horse face when he was running and fighting for the ball.

Got to admit I am a fan of Roma for those late 90s early 00s teams, they were fantastic and battled well against the Milan clubs and Juve. Those 2 years when Lazio and Roma won the scudetto were the golden age.
Not to mention I have thousands of hours on CM01/02.

MiceOnMeth

I remember him for the amazing goal he scored in the champions league:

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
In the 2002 title race, people of course mainly remember Inter throwing it away on the final day of the season, leading 2-1 away to Lazio before losing 4-2 and therefore the Scudetto to Juve.

But Roma were involved in a tight and exciting 3 horse title race, and ended finishing 2nd, one point behind Juve and ahead of Inter.

IIRC they dropped 2 points away to Venezia, who finished bottom of the league, during the run-in, which proved to be costly.

It was a shame that Capello’s Roma found Houllier’s Liverpool to be such a barrier in Europe.

I first was aware of Delvecchio when he scored the decisive goal vs. Leeds in the UEFA Cup in 1998/1999 (one of O’Leary’s first games in charge).