How good was Robin van Persie?

Handré1990

Not sure I agree with what he’s saying. He could have had a mini Henry-like legacy at Arsenal, a great club where he was captain and which was his home for so long, but now he’s not welcome there anymore (his own words apparently) and he gave it all up for one league title. I think that would hurt me more than not having won a league title, but of course I don’t have the mind of a professional competitive football player.

He was one of the best in the game at his peak, but he rapidly declined after that unfortunately.
Well, obviously you wouldn’t:lol:

Inter Yer Nan

He was a great player. He showed early promise but due to injuries and Arsenal going through a transitional period didn't really hit a world class level until his mid to late 20's when for a good three seasons he was just about the best player in the league and probably in the world XI. Scorer of many goals and scorer of great goals and was a great all-around player. In hindsight wish we'd have got him just after Ronaldo left as I think we'd have probably won another Champions League with him and Rooney in their respective primes.

I'd say he's a top 10-15 PL player in terms of his historical standing in the modern era.

Martial

I'm certain he would have won us the Champions League that season if it wasn't for that Nani red card.

Moiraine

I just wish he had done better in Knock out tie against Real Madrid. He missed some very good scoring opportunities, a couple of them he could have won penalties. I am being very harsh but I just can't get that defeat out of my head. We were punch to punch against Madrid, even better and nullified them completely.

Anyway, the thread is about Van Persie and he was the best finisher United had alongwith Nistelrooy since the beginning of Premier League (in 1993). Sanchez might have a say in that in a couple of years (hopefully).

Handré1990

The goal at Upton Park against West Ham in the FA Cup was better. I think it was Giggsy who passed it to him and he controlled it superbly before finishing off with his right foot :drool:
Agreed! It was crazy seeing that goal, it looked like he actually got faster when he controlled that beautiful, but so difficult pass! He didn’t to lose the defender before the ball came to him.

ZAGREB RED

The 12/13 season he was awesome, didn't really hit the same heights after that down to injuries, but the transfer fee was worth it just for that season alone. Rooney didn't really like being second fiddle to RvP but they did combine superbly well at times that season.

Snafu17

He was ridiculously good in his first season. He scored 30 goals which include a winning goal at Anfield and Etihad, goals against every other top 6 opponent and a tittle winning hat-trick. He had a bit of a lean spell around the middle of the season (we lacked a bit of imagination as a team after the Real game) but he more than made up for it. A genuinely world class player.

He started the other two seasons great as well but tailed off in both of them. Had some great moments anyway like the hat trick against Olympiacos.

Jaybomb

One of my favourite players ever. Wish he was here longer.

Legend.

el3mel

Easy. During his last Arsenal season and first season here he was the best striker in the league and one of the best in the world.

Regalia

If anyone here has played FM, at his peak (2010-2013ish) in the game he is what is known as the 'Complete Forward'. :drool:

"A Complete Forward possesses all the technical attributes of a Deep-Lying Forward, the goal scoring ability of a Poacher and the strength and power of a Target Man. He is equally adept at playing in others, fashioning chances for himself and getting on the end of team moves. Such a player transcends tactical instruction."

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Best striker in the world in his final season at Arsenal + first season here. 96 games 67 goals 29 assists [Transfermarkt]

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Thing that got to me was his interview at our POTY awards. He was so confident we'd be back after Moyes. And who knew.. ? I doubt even RvP knew LvG was going to go mental on him after his stellar WC.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
That goal against Villa is still the best I've ever seen, pure explosive power, pure technique, pure 100% total football, just sublime in every sense

Giggs86

This good.

There aren't many players in the world who can do that. And it wasn't a fluke, he had the technique to do it.

Was world class in Fergie's last season and the couple prior seasons at Arsenal. Must be in the top 10 of all time PL forwards.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Best player to play for us since Ronaldo, for a season.
Probably true. Only De Gea springs to mind as an alternative but then that's not really an easy one to compare.

Paxi

It's easy to forget that he played well over the two legs against Real Madrid. There were fine margins there. Hitting a crossbar etc. @Pogue Mahone I'm not so sure he was declining. Had SAF stayed I could see him having a similar impact! I mean he was still himself at WC. I think LvG fecked him which is ironic considering he played brilliantly under LvG at WC.

If you mean he declined from that final Arsenal season to United, then - yes - he was at the peak of his game at Arsenal that season. Though, at United, he carried us to the title so it's hard to make a definitive judgement.

Paxi

He missed some good chances against Real
Well, it's like half a dozen etc... he missed chances vs Real etc but he could have banged it in vs Bayern. You never know, but we were good enough to win the CL that season with him, IMO.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Yeah he was superb. Natural finisher, excellent movement, comfortable on the ball, and capable of some beautiful goals on the volley too.

Paxi

Yeah he was superb. Natural finisher, excellent movement, comfortable on the ball, and capable of some beautiful goals on the volley too.
Thats an undetstatement. Ruud was comfortable on the ball. Robin was pure silk.

AngliaRed

He was one of the worlds best strikers but never quite reached his full potential. Probably stayed at arsenal 2-3 seasons too long. Injuries were always a problem for him,
No doubt would of won much more trophies with us had he moved sooner, a regret that he himself admitted.

Me personally I would prefer a in form Van Nistelrooy over RVP mainlu because of his injuries.

Paxi

He was one of the worlds best strikers but never quite reached his full potential. Probably stayed at arsenal 2-3 seasons too long. Injuries were always a problem for him,
No doubt would of won much more trophies with us had he moved sooner, a regret that he himself admitted.

Me personally I would prefer a in form Van Nistelrooy over RVP mainlu because of his injuries.

Due to injuries. I may be wrong here but had he been free of his injury problems - we might have never seem him in a United shirt. Surely Madrid, Barca would have been all over him. He was very fecking good.

Paxi

Not as good as RVN, a scorer of great goals, but RVN is imo our best ever no. 9.
This comment is making me ache cause I loved Ruud so much but no way he was better than RvP as an all round player. Goal scorer - yes - his longevity, in dutch, English and Spanish leagues but in terms of talent - RvP - hands down.

Kag

For a period of around two years he was absolutely brilliant. I like Lukaku, and don't wish to compare in direct terms, but we would be a significantly better outfit with Van Persie up top every week.

That game he played away at Madrid (one which his finishing was actually criticised quite heavily) was one of the best examples of forward hold up play you're likely to ever see. That good.

In the end, it ended on a real sour note.

Raw

There aren't many players in the world who can do that. And it wasn't a fluke, he had the technique to do it.
Yeah he did. If I recall he scored a pretty similar goal for Arsenal against Everton (?), though it was closer to goal. I think it ended up being voted goal of the season too.