How good was Robin van Persie?

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Yes, mate! but not that. He killed the ball dead at the edge of the area. Ive never seen anyone with a touch like that.
There's just too far many on his highlight reel to try and narrow it down.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
Cool as you like, so glad he played for us and was able to win a title. Maybe the only player at the club since Ronaldo that gave you that feeling of complete confidence that he would put away any chance given to him consistently, like Shearer, RVN, Suarez, Drogba, Kane etc kind of levels. Makes winning games so much easier.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Berbatov is still my favourite player in a red shirt that I've seen live,
Beats Rooney, Ronaldo, Giggs and Scholes (just)
Played the game at his own pace but made everything look so so simple.
Him, RVP and Bergkamp were on a different level technically

Eire Red United

Best player in the league in Fergies last season, would have walked into any team in the world and we probably would have got another season or two of the same out of him if Fergie had stayed.

Absolute class act on and off the pitch and one of my favourite United players of recent years.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
The goal at Upton Park against West Ham in the FA Cup was better. I think it was Giggsy who passed it to him and he controlled it superbly before finishing off with his right foot :drool:
Incredible pass and incredible control and finish. The goal doesn't get enough love. I think it was a late winner too.

Tosicsleftpeg

Absolutely magic, his first season for us was his season. He will look back at it in retirement and be satisfied with his choice, he knew it was his last shot at glory and he took it whole heartedly.

What a wonderful player he was just a shame he declined so quickly after but he had his best season with us no doubt.

HeckneyNoodo

My favourite United player ever, which is crazy considering I'm a life long supporter and that he only spent three seasons here.

That goal vs West Ham in the FA Cup is also my favourite United goal ever. The pass, vision and technique from Giggs combined with the touch, control and finish from RVP, breath taking.

Also his two other seasons at United weren't an RVP in huge decline like some have decided, he still dug us out of holes for Moyes and LVG used to play him, Rooney and a broken Falcao ALL AT THE SAME Time. Mental.
Yeah. That subtle touch just to bring the ball forward enough to evade the defender's foot, while having enough space for him to take the pot is just phenomenal.

blitz133w

He went on a lean spell not scoring for around 10 games. The madrid game was probably in between that spell. Maybe it's just my memories being clouded but he was phenomenal in both legs. Yeah he missed some chances too but his overall buildup play was causing so much problems to Madrid's defence. What a player he was. Wasn't the quickest in his latter years but still a ridiculously good footballer. One of the best at that time. SAF's retirement screwed everything up for him. He was absolutely wasted under Moyes and LvG and didn't have enough time left in his career.

NessunDorma

For his last two seasons with Arsenal, and his first season with United, he was legit world-class. Scored 89 goals in 129 games, and loads of them were absolute beauties. He was far more technically gifted than most strikers. Wonderous left foot on him, good balance, good feet, great big game mentality.

If he isn't quite regarded as among the very best of his generation, that's only because of his injury record in his younger days.

NessunDorma

In fact, he's quite unlucky that he came through at Arsenal just as they were entering their baron period. At a United, or Barca, or Madrid, or Bayern, or Milan, he'd have won everything.

SambaBoy

Incredible that season for United and for a few seasons before for Arsenal. Took too long to become the main man there though, playing on the wing or as a second choice because of his injuries he couldn't be the main man really.

There was talk of him going into the WC that he was past his past, and some of the United/Holland staff knew it but he had a good WC. Under Moyes, he still scored some important goals but was a bit like Ibra lite last season, a lot of wasted chances and poor play but put up good numbers in the minutes he did get.

All in all, one of our best signings. There was absolute no chance we would have won the league if he didn't join.

Gazautd18

He was absolutely outrageous in his last season or so for Arsenal, once he finally got injury free. This is still IMO one of the best PL goals I've ever seen.

With the benefit of hindisght, I'd say he was already in decline (albeit only slightly past his peak) during his first season at United but still one of the best strikers to play for us.
That goal was some ninja shit.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
The way he took the ball in his stride was unbelievable.

He broke after Fergie and van Gaal seemed to finish him off.

Guy Incognito

His technique, up there with the best for me. Especially when you consider he joined Arsenal who had Bergkamp, Kanu and Henry on their books and some of the goals and skills they did were ridiculous. Didn't look out of place.

Shame about his injury record. I remember he scored a worldie against Inter, could watch this again and again.

Last edited:

leontas

It's good that he was able to win the league with us - one of the best strikers in the world between his last season at Arsenal and his first season with us. He had a great understanding of the game, he's ball control was superb and I'm not even going to try to describe his shooting ability. Immense.

TypeR

Immense player. Was over the moon when we got him, and I just knew he’d fit into a United shirt like he always belonged.

The premature decline talks are just one part of the story though. I put that firmly down to Moyes’s archaic training methods, running players to the ground. We had some of the best backroom staff in the league, won a trophy while getting peak performances out of several players at advanced footballing ages, all of whom declined sharply after Moyes and his merry men took over. The way it was all handled still fecking pisses me off.

Could’ve possibly gotten another 2-3 seasons of RVP, Evra et al at their very best if the man had some sense and humility to slot into our set-up, rather than turning it into Everton.

BaneIsPain

The last best signing by Fergie.Absolutely fantastic in that season
From taking corner to scoring a volley;just ooze with inspiration

Oooo Robiiin Van Persiee

Reactions: SteveJ

XH6

The one thing that always stood out to me when watching Van Persie was how good his movement was. He must have been a midfielder's dream to play with given all of the passing angles and runs he used to make.

Apart from Henry and Suarez, I think he was as good as any other striker over the past decade at his peak. One huge regret from his career is that I still think he had a lot to offer after the 12-13 season but it just didn't work out for whatever reason. When you consider what Zlatan was doing last season at 35, it's quite disappointing that someone with Van Persie's qualities wasn't able to contribute too much after his 30th birthday.

Theonas

Scout
Probably the best forward we had under Fergie talent wise. At his best, he was as good as any striker playing today. Sadly, He could not show it more often.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
We would have gotten at least one more Champions League win if we had signed him much earlier in his career.

Imagine a frontline of Rooney, RVP and Ronaldo.

We might have enough firepower to just win Milan even with our defense decimated.

Dinghy

Great player but his importance for us is a bit overrated. He was amazing up until new years in that first season. Then he went 13 games from mid-january to the middle of april with only scoring one goal for us. That includes missing some absolute sitters against RM in the knockout-stages of the CL. Great season overall, but his last season at Arsenal was something else.