How good was Romario who Had Sex On A Plane And claimed to be Better Than Pele?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Had a long career but much of it in Europe, scored a shit to of goals too

Flat track bully or underrated?

Oranges038

When you look back, that decision not to take hom to the WC in 1998 was a bad one.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Incredibly underrated. Its weird how little he is mentioned when it comes to all time greats. He was considered the successor to Pelé before Luiz Ronaldo hit the scene.

Last edited:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The biggest downfall for Romario from the Western POV, was Ronaldo. Romario, alongside Baggio was the absolute darling of the 90's until around 1996 or so. His performances for Barcelona and Brazil revered and his languid style earning him plaudits. Ronaldo's video game football created a paradigm shift - much like Messi and C.Ronaldo's did a decade later - in that every striker was then viewed through the lens of this comical forward who could run through teams by himself. Ronaldo-mania left every other player in its wake and what was once seen as impressive became a lot less so as the world waited with baited breath to observe Ronaldo's next cartoonish feat.

In Brazil, it's a different story. Romario never lost his standing or had it shifted because of Ronaldo there, and is actually seen as the better of the two by some there as they appreciated the fact he wasn't some superhuman a lot more, and also 'got' him more than a Western audience did. Romario was, and is, a darling of the public in Brazil, more readily, or easily embraced than Ronaldo. Perhaps because Romario spent a lot more time in Brazil in various stages of his career to create that affinity, but also for being his own man, and so cocky and outspoken, as opposed to Ronaldo's relative silence and preference to let his football speak for him. The romance of the pairing was growing on both the home and international stage in 1997, at which point the Ro-Ro show was in full swing, with both playing football that was out of this world, and more importantly, complementary to one another. Scolari robbed the world of what might have been the best strike partnership there has been, and based off how they performed in 1997, it's hard to refute that, especially so, knowing Romario was already a World Cup star, and Ronaldo went on to prove what he could do in the World Cup, in isolation, and outside of his absurd levels at Barcelona.

Romario himself is easily one of the greatest strikers to have lived. Through the modern lens, where Europe and the CL is literally everything, the statement might make less sense, but the only tangible Romario lacks in that sense, is complete and utter non-conformity to the Western ideals - put him on a pitch, and he was golden.

If you're putting together the most elite chain of strikers for the 90's, it goes: Van Basten> Romario>Ronaldo, so Romario is always part and parcel of the history of the greatest strikers of an era.

Skills

Snitch
Incredibly underrated. Its weird how little he is mentioned when it comes to all time greats. He was considered the successor yo Pelé before Luiz Ronaldo hit the scene.
The post Maradona & Pre-Ronaldo/Zidane time frame is a bit of a weird quiet chapter in football.

glasgow 21

Romario was a fantastic player and yes underrated, if that is not being talk about much.
May modern strikers should watch him and learn that a toe poke is a method of goal scoring and you don't always have to side foot it with your good boot.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Fantastic player and world class finisher. A level or 2 below the likes of Luiz Ronaldo though.

How long before someone posts a fontaine in here?

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Scared the absolute shite out of me every time he touched the ball during those two legs in 1994.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Had the close control, skill and agility of a world class winger, with the poachers instinct of an RVN or Haaland, and somehow scored dozens of headers despite being clinically a midget.

Incredible player.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
The post Maradona & Pre-Ronaldo/Zidane time frame is a bit of a weird quiet chapter in football.
I think its because of the bias towards European football. He was awesome when he was in Europe but most of his career was in Brazil and for a lot especially modern fans anything done outside the best European leagues doesn't count.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Looking at strikers and pure number 9's/or their legacy (Pele loved to operate a bit deeper) only Van Basten, Il Fenomeno and Gerd Muller are ahead of him.

One of the deadliest finishers of all time. Some people see him as a poacher as most of his goals came inside the penalty box/around a goal, but he had an incredible techique, dribbling and first touch as well (would absolutely explode when he got the ball anywhere near the danger area). Put him at his peak in this City team and he would easily score +50 a season breaking all kinds of records.

Bit of a knob outside football.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Scared the absolute shite out of me every time he touched the ball during those two legs in 1994.
Hahaha.
I remember that game.
I was new to football at the time and I watched us get schooled by Barcelona.
It took us 4 years before we could go toe to toe with he best teams in Europe.

Eplel

it will always be between Pele, Romario and Mario Jardel on who was the biggest liar

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
One of the best finishers ever, possibly the best ever in terms of 1 on 1 finishing with the keeper, even if he didn't have the athleticism of R9 or other modern players who came after.

Matt007a

Deadly finisher, great movement, high level dribbler and lightning fast over 5-10 yards. Only Van Basten and later Ronaldo were better strikers in that era. He’s like a better RVN.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
When you look back, that decision not to take hom to the WC in 1998 was a bad one.
How much would he really have played as Bebeto and Edmundo were in that squad and were mainly backups given Ronaldo's status and ability.

From what I remember Romario being overlooked in 2002 was more questionable although it was forgotten when Brazil lifted the World cup.

Simply a great goalscorer, would effortlessly round the keeper so often when through on goal which you don't see much of nowadays on one on ones.

Oranges038

How much would he really have played as Bebeto and Edmundo were in that squad and were mainly backups given Ronaldo's status and ability.

From what I remember Romario being overlooked in 2002 was more questionable although it was forgotten when Brazil lifted the World cup.

Simply a great goalscorer, would effortlessly round the keeper so often when through on goal which you don't see much of nowadays on one on ones.
They could have done with a decent striker for the final.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

He would definitely be a starter as the partnership with Ronaldo was a key part of the team throughout '97 and early 98. He got injured just before the tournament.

I think 2002 was more about indiscipline and issues with Scolari.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
They could have done with a decent striker for the final.
Of course that whole evening was crazy. Would Ronaldo have been benched if Romario had been an option. Nike stepped in and insisted he played once he was passed medically fit.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Easily top 5 Brazilian footballer of all time. His partnership with Bebeto in 94 Brazil line is a force to reckon with - probably one of the best attack duo I’ve ever seen too. Thought he left European football abit too early (age 31), still managed to rack to a lot of goals in his mid late 30s, which is respectful.

I still remember his distinctive style of play - he can be rather quiet the whole game while producing the most threats too. He is a silent killer, sleeping and lurking all the time and then came up with an explosive moment to kill off the opponent:

Last edited:

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I've thought about it somewhat and it'll probably be controversy but gun on my head and I'd say he was better than Ronaldo.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He scored 1000 goals. Half of those he scored against his son in his backyard.

Oranges038

He scored 1000 goals. Half of those he scored against his son in his backyard.
And Pele found half of his down the back of the couch 40 years after he retired.

The whole 1000 goals thing with Romario was funny. I just imagine him doing the announcement like Mayor Quimby.

Eh I have eh scored eh 1000 goals, but eh here's a eh dvd with eh 900 of my best ones, the rest eh wouldn't fit on the eh disc....

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Apparently he's a member of a right wing party called the Liberal Party, so there's that.

Pes6Monster

Apparently he's a member of a right wing party called the Liberal Party, so there's that.
Aye, disappointing that he is a fascist sympathiser.
Disappointing anyone is.

Great player. His performance against us at OT was incredible.

However, United were not at full strength due to a foreigner rule which was thankfully overturned via EU law. Euro Law played a big part in the Bosman ruling, too.

Last edited:

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
How can he be underrated? In his prime he was unstoppable in the mid-90s. He only won the 94 World Cup with Brazil scoring just the 5 goals!

He's probably my favourite Brazilian player. Absolute world class finisher. He made our defence look like absolute mugs in the 1994 Champions League.

...not known for his aerial ability though...

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
And Pele found half of his down the back of the couch 40 years after he retired.

The whole 1000 goals thing with Romario was funny. I just imagine him doing the announcement like Mayor Quimby.

Eh I have eh scored eh 1000 goals, but eh here's a eh dvd with eh 900 of my best ones, the rest eh wouldn't fit on the eh disc....
:lol: yeah Im sure he really made that up. He might have scored 1k but those involve goals outside of official matches.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
On an airplane toilet. Caught her having sex with a stocky brazilian footballer. Took a picture then blackmailed her to have a cup of coffee when landing.
Is this related to Romario or what?