How good was Ronaldo #9?

Cal?

CR7 fan
Nope, it wouldn't change it much for the reasons already expressed.

Your bias on the matter is extreme is any case. I recall you placing C Ronaldo alongside Muhammad Ali in terms of sporting greatness, which was one of the most ridiculous things I've read on here.
You were the one who said it wouldn't matter regardless of what happens in the future, and I'm being biased? :lol:

Cal?

CR7 fan
Considering Romario only played at the top level for a few years. He was at PSV for 5 years in the early 90's, 2 years at Barcelona and 1 at Valencia. Valencia he made 11 appearances. Apart from that he spent his entire career floating around Brazil and the USA.

Ronaldo played for PSV as well, but he was also playing at the top level for Inter, Barcelona and Real Madrid. He is Brazils top scorer in World Cup history and also scored more goals for Brazil. So how did Romario even have a better career?
This gets mentioned all the time like it's somekind of phenomenal feat. Let's not forget Klose is the all time scorer in WC history.

Moby

Dick
Career wise? It's not even close imo and Romário vs Ronaldo has been a question that's always divided Brazil, not sure what's so ridiculous about picking Romário. He was as good as he thought he was.
It's not even close now. :lol:

I bet you are looking at his world cup win as some sort of edge to his career, the world cup where he was marked in the final by a 34 year Baresi and had to win on a penalty shootout. Whereas Ronaldo not winning in 98 despite being by far the best player and the walking it 4 years later anyway.

Ronaldo did things Romario could simply dream of.

ti vu

The brazilian league was a lot better than it is today (half of the WC94 squad played in Brazil) and Romario tore it to pieces, he scored for fun and ended up with more goals in official matches than Pelé. Ronaldo Fenomeno had 2 years in PSV, 1 in Barcelona and 2.5 with Inter. He was good at Madrid for a while but clearly not the player he once was while Romário kept his level for an incredible amount of years.
Then you're only talking about longevity, not level of performance. Brazilian league was good back then, but Serie A was top league back in the days with concentration of best defenders and Ronaldo in his false "peak" had no problem battling with these defenders.

Romario played with Barcelona Dream team yet Ronaldo in his only season with Barcelona made a scoring record. Despite serious injuries and had to change his approach, Ronaldo is still a special player. Romario for all his good, didn't reach Ronaldo's false peak.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Then you're only talking about longevity, not level of performance. Brazilian league was good back then, but Serie A was top league back in the days with concentration of best defenders and Ronaldo in his false "peak" had no problem battling with these defenders.

Romario played with Barcelona Dream team yet Ronaldo in his only season with Barcelona made a scoring record. Despite serious injuries and had to change his approach, Ronaldo is still a special player. Romario for all his good, didn't reach Ronaldo's false peak.
It's like I said before if the question is 'For 3 years would you rather have Ronaldo or Romário at your club?' the answer is Ronaldo but if the question is 'For 10 years would you rather have Ronaldo or Romário at your club?' then it's easily Romário.

It's not even close now. :lol:

I bet you are looking at his world cup win as some sort of edge to his career, the world cup where he was marked in the final by a 34 year Baresi and had to win on a penalty shootout. Whereas Ronaldo not winning in 98 despite being by far the best player and the walking it 4 years later anyway.

Ronaldo did things Romario could simply dream of.
You can keep laughing and pretending it's not close when it's a question brazilians have been debating for ages with plenty prefering Romário.

I don't care he got marked by Baresi in one game and I certainly don't see any advantage internationally to Romário. That was a weird guess of what my reasoning is when I've already explained it.

ti vu

It's like I said before if the question is 'For 3 years would you rather have Ronaldo or Romário at your club?' the answer is Ronaldo but if the question is 'For 10 years would you rather have Ronaldo or Romário at your club?' then it's easily Romário.
Sure with how misfortune Ronaldo career was plagued with injuries. In a scenario Ronaldo enjoy a consistent career like Ronaldinho without injuries which allows him to realize his full potential, then I would still take 5 years of Ronaldo over 10 of Romario. The pre injuries Ronaldo is even more dimensional compared to Romario (not exact limited dimensional). Ronaldo doesn't always need to be the no 9. He arguably can combine with many more great forwards which means a more potent attack line up.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Sir Bobby Robson said it best. What Romario can do from
10 yards, Ronaldo can do from

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Costacurta who played against both also had this to say "Ronaldo was the best player i ever came up against, even better than maradona, from 50 meters out he was unstoppable, but in the last 16 meters(the box), romario was even more unstoppable than ronaldo"

meninred

The best real forwards I have seen in my life time are Romario , Van basten and Ronaldo Lima.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
You were the one who said it wouldn't matter regardless of what happens in the future, and I'm being biased? :lol:
Yep, your bias is there for all to see and has been for as long as I can remember. The Ali comparison was just a great example of it. The Ronaldo thread whenever he scores for Madrid is another. Jokes aside - it's like a little redcafe Ronaldo cult (involving a handful of posters) with homoerotic undertones.

In regards to the point made about Ballon D'or trophies, it doesn't matter much what happens in the future because his skill set isn't going to change and the vast majority of his career is over. Also, the amount he wins doesn't matter a damn relative to players like Pele or Maradona because neither have any. Lastly, you seem to regard the Ballon D'or trophy as something akin to boxing's pound for pound list which it most definitely isn't.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Yep, your bias is there for all to see and has been for as long as I can remember. The Ali comparison was just a great example of it. The Ronaldo thread whenever he scores for Madrid is another. Jokes aside - it's like a little redcafe Ronaldo cult (involving a handful of posters) with homoerotic undertones.

In regards to the point made about Ballon D'or trophies, it doesn't matter much what happens in the future because his skill set isn't going to change and the vast majority of his career is over. Also, the amount he wins doesn't matter a damn relative to players like Pele or Maradona because neither have any. Lastly, you seem to regard the Ballon D'or trophy as something akin to boxing's pound for pound list which it most definitely isn't.
:lol: Funny how Messi fans thought it was definitive when Messi was 4-1 ahead. :lol:

Anyway, we're not going to get anywhere with this.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
:lol: Funny how Messi fans thought it was definitive when Messi was 4-1 ahead. :lol:

Anyway, we're not going to get anywhere with this.
I'm not one of them. Ballon D'ors mean little to me.

But yeah, never the twain will meet I suppose. I'll just repeat though that I do place C Ronaldo in the top 10 of all time, unlike many others. Perhaps you forgot that?

Cal?

CR7 fan
I'm not one of them. Ballon D'ors mean little to me.

But yeah, never the twain will meet I suppose. I'll just repeat though that I do place C Ronaldo in the top 10 of all time, unlike many others. Perhaps you forgot that?
Anywhere outside the top 5 doesn't do him justice, but let's just agree to disagree.

Enigma_87

You know who
Anywhere outside the top 5 doesn't do him justice, but let's just agree to disagree.
I don't see him top 5.

Pele, Maradona, Messi, Beckenbauer, Cruyff and Di Stefano is the elite tier for me.

Then Muller, C.Ronaldo, Ronaldo, Eusebio, Platini, Best, etc..

Purely subjective of course and you can disagree...

Bestietom

A truly great player, A match winner, who only needed a half chance to put it in the net....

Injuries took their toll on him, in the end, but when fit, a player you would pay dear, to see...

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
I think he was the best modern striker iv seen play. Maybe not in terms of what he achieved but more just natural ability, the amount of goals he scored where he actually went around the keeper 1 on 1 either with stepovers or just great close control was ridiculous. No striker like him around atm.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Costacurta who played against both also had this to say "Ronaldo was the best player i ever came up against, even better than maradona, from 50 meters out he was unstoppable, but in the last 16 meters(the box), romario was even more unstoppable than ronaldo"
That's the way I see it. Romario is arguably the greatest penalty-box striker of all time (him or Muller IMO). But between the edge of the box and the half-way line, Ronaldo is in a league of his own amongst strikers.

ypsipeos

“For me, Ronaldo is the greatest. He was as [good as] Pele. There was nobody like him. No one has influenced both football and the players who emerged as Ronaldo.”
— Zlatan Ibrahimovic

“The best opponent of my career? I’ve played against many, many good players, so I don’t know who to keep. But I would say Ronaldo, ‘El Fenomeno’. Why? Because he was my idol and because, as a football player, he was complete. There will never, in my view, be a better player than him.”
— Zlatan Ibrahimovic

“I put up photos of Ronaldo in my room. Ronaldo was the man. Not only because of his step-overs and goals in the World Cup. Ronaldo was brilliant on every level. He was what I wanted to be, a guy who made a difference. [ . . . ] Ronaldo was my hero and I studied him online and tried to take in his movements, and I thought I was getting to be an awesome player. I danced down the pitch with the ball.” — Zlatan Ibrahimovic

Foot“Ronaldo was my hero. He was the best striker I’ve ever seen. He was so fast he could score from nothing, and could shoot the ball better than anyone.”
— Lionel Messi*
*footnote on this. Messi is more a Ronaldo or a Romario footballer than he is aaradona type footballer.

“My favourite Brazilian footballer of all time is Ronaldo. I was fortunate enough to play against him many times, and I was lucky enough to play against him before he got those serious injuries that affected his career. He was a formidable player, a sensational player. He was sort of like an alien because of what he could do on the pitch. The fact that a footballer like him is not remembered as the best player of all time is a great tragedy in my opinion. He had all the skills he needed to be the best ever.”
— Gianluigi Buffon*
*footnote again. This man has played against Batistuta, Creapo, Ibrahimovoc, Adriano, Vieri, Messi, Cristiano etc etc

“Ronaldo did things nobody had seen before. He, together with Romario and George Weah, reinvented the center-forward position. They were the first to drop from the penalty box to pick up the ball in midfield, switch to the flanks, attract and disorientate the central defenders with their runs, their accelerations, their dribbling.”
— Thierry Henry

“He was my idol and then I end up playing and winning a World Cup with him. The most complete striker there has ever been, the most complete striker there will ever be, it is almost unbelievable to think that he never won the Champions League.”
— Ronaldinho

“Ronaldo destroyed us. Raúl was out with appendicitis, so the big man was up front on his own. The whole crowd got to their feet and gave the bloke the kind of ovation a United player would have got. The Manchester crowd knows its football and knew they’d been privileged to be there, watching Ronaldo play. I felt really proud of them in a different way that night, watching their reaction as Ronaldo walked off with his hands above his head, clapping back.”
— David Beckham

“Without hesitation, Ronaldo is the best player I ever played with. He had such an ease with the ball. He is number one. Every day I trained with him, I saw something different, something new, something beautiful. That’s what makes the difference between a very good player, and the exception, who, for me, is Ronaldo.”
— Zinedine Zidane

Last edited:

OverratedOpinion

More so than any player including Messi and Cristiano he would fill me with genuine fear whenever he got the ball when playing against United or England. He obviously had issues with discipline but if you created a team of the 11 best players of all time in their primes and played a match against them I honestly think he would be the first player the opposition would double mark.

buchansleftleg

In a one-off game - simply unbeatable at times, pace, skill, balance, poise and power. I'm not one that is a slave to stats so i know that others may have better career figures. The only shadow cast against him for me is how much of the "injuries" were self inflicted.

His awesome natural pace and power scarcely needed it, but it does seem that rumours of enhancements persist and cloud my judgement of his achievements. How much of the "phenomenen" was all him? Impossible to know but the pressure on him to be available, the pressure to perform and the pressure to recover from other injuries may well have led to corners being cut and sport being compromised.

Maybe one day the truth will out and we can decide if he deserves a place amongst the very greatest.

Cal?

CR7 fan
In a one-off game - simply unbeatable at times, pace, skill, balance, poise and power. I'm not one that is a slave to stats so i know that others may have better career figures. The only shadow cast against him for me is how much of the "injuries" were self inflicted.

His awesome natural pace and power scarcely needed it, but it does seem that rumours of enhancements persist and cloud my judgement of his achievements. How much of the "phenomenen" was all him? Impossible to know but the pressure on him to be available, the pressure to perform and the pressure to recover from other injuries may well have led to corners being cut and sport being compromised.

Maybe one day the truth will out and we can decide if he deserves a place amongst the very greatest.
That's probably true, but those one off games come few and far between. If you were to pick an all time team to play one match (against Mars or sth), you may choose him and hope to get lucky.

If you were to pick one to play in a "timeless inter-planetary league", there's no way he'd even come near the squad.

OverratedOpinion

That's probably true, but those one off games come few and far between. If you were to pick an all time team to play one match (against Mars or sth), you may choose him and hope to get lucky.

If you were to pick one to play in a "timeless inter-planetary league", there's no way he'd even come near the squad.
Well it would depend at which point of his career you were talking about surely?

If you took the Ronaldo from his season with Barcelona then I can't think of many players who I would want more over the course of a league season.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Well it would depend at which point of his career you were talking about surely?

If you took the Ronaldo from his season with Barcelona then I can't think of many players who I would want more over the course of a league season.
Errr... Cristiano or Messi at basically any time in the past decade?

Cal?

CR7 fan
"I can't think of many".. 2 players.
If you're going to go with ONE season, was Luiz Ronaldo 96/97 really better than Suarez 15/16?

I said he wouldn't get near the squad, I'd have the likes of Cristiano, Messi, Pele, Eusebio, Muller ahead of him... then there are the likes of Van Basten, Henry who were more consistent throughout their career.

Last edited:

meninred

Pundits as well used to underestimate him to my bemusement except occasionally throwing the word el fenomeno. Recently though esp after he retired he is getting more recognition.
It is also human nature I guess to appreciate talent once they are gone.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Pundits as well used to underestimate him to my bemusement except occasionally throwing the word el fenomeno. Recently though esp after he retired he is getting more recognition.
It is also human nature I guess to appreciate talent once they are gone.
I don't agree with that at all, people feel all nostalgic and over-rate older things a lot of the time.

Personally I think Cristiano and Messi are BY FAR the best players ever and none of Maradona, Pele or company can achieve what either of them has if they were younger.

OverratedOpinion

If you're going to go with ONE season, was Luiz Ronaldo 96/97 really better than Suarez 15/16?

I said he wouldn't get near the squad, I'd have the likes of Cristiano, Messi, Pele, Eusebio, Muller ahead of him... then there are the likes of Van Basten, Henry who were more consistent throughout their career.
Suarez? Yes for me.

Van Basten was the perfect player to finish the chances Sacchi's high pressure would create, I believe Ronaldo could do that job whilst doing things Van Basten could not. Henry was a special player but one level below for me. Pele, Eusebio and Muller all played in a completely different era so it is practically impossible to compare the levels of players.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Suarez? Yes for me.

Van Basten was the perfect player to finish the chances Sacchi's high pressure would create, I believe Ronaldo could do that job whilst doing things Van Basten could not. Henry was a special player but one level below for me. Pele, Eusebio and Muller all played in a completely different era so it is practically impossible to compare the levels of players.
That I basically agree with, but it just depends if you value consistency or moments of brilliance. Cristiano and Messi obviously has both, but most others only have either.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
@ypsipeos I will pursue your job!

“In December 1992 I said I’ve sent a boy to Cruzeiro who is going to be Brazil’s next striker. He will play in the 1998 World Cup. They asked the name and I said ‘Ronaldo’.”
— Roberto Gaglianone, Ronaldo’s first coach at Sao Cristovao

“The first time I saw him play was at Cruzeiro. He was still a kid. It was in a game where he ended up scoring five goals. From that point on he showed he was truly a phenomenon.”
— Cafu

“I played with him at PSV Eindhoven. He was very young at the time, but you could already see he was going to be a world class player.”
— Jaap Stam

“When he was in his prime, Ronaldo was frightening. He had such incredible balance and power for someone so quick. Played with that Brazilian swagger and scored loads of goals, including some incredible ones.”
— Denis Irwin

“[ . . . ] at his best he was almost unplayable. Could score a goal from nothing, and any type of goal.”
— Shay Given

“The original Ronaldo remains one of the most clinical forwards I ever saw. [ . . . ] Big, strong, aggressive but he was more than just a powerhouse. He’ll go down as one of the best goalscorers of all time.”
— Ray Parlour

“He went to Holland, Spain and Italy and enhanced the reputation of Brazilian football in all three countries. He came back home and breathed new life into the Brazilian championship and Corinthians. Brazilian people should be grateful for what he’s done for our football.”
— Pele

“Never in my life have I seen an 18-year-old play in this way.”
— Rudi Voller, after Ronaldo scored a hat-trick in PSV’s 4-5 loss at Voller’s Bayer Leverkusen in the 1994-5 UEFA Cup

“The best player I have seen in my career.”
— Clarence Seedorf

In the presence of a myth. In awe of a legend. When five feet from The Phenomenon, even Ibrahimovic had to pinch himself.
“For me, Ronaldo is the greatest. He was as [good as] Pele. There was nobody like him. No one has influenced both football and the players who emerged as Ronaldo.”
— Zlatan Ibrahimovic

“The best opponent of my career? I’ve played against many, many good players, so I don’t know who to keep. But I would say Ronaldo, ‘El Fenomeno’. Why? Because he was my idol and because, as a football player, he was complete. There will never, in my view, be a better player than him.”
— Zlatan Ibrahimovic

“I put up photos of Ronaldo in my room. Ronaldo was the man. Not only because of his step-overs and goals in the World Cup. Ronaldo was brilliant on every level. He was what I wanted to be, a guy who made a difference. [ . . . ] Ronaldo was my hero and I studied him online and tried to take in his movements, and I thought I was getting to be an awesome player. I danced down the pitch with the ball.” — Zlatan Ibrahimovic

“I didn’t need any time to gel when playing alongside Ronaldo. He knew how I played and I knew where he liked to receive the ball. It was very easy to play with him because he was great at finding the right positions both inside and outside the box. As soon as I picked up the ball, he already knew what I was going to do with it.”
— Rivaldo

“Ronaldo was cold, powerful and a great finisher. He would do things that you didn’t expect. He would do a great trick to break free and score.”
— Carlos Bacca

“Ronaldo had pace and power and how good was his finishing? He’s the kind of striker that only needed to touch the ball once or twice to score a brace. Only great players like him can do that.”
— Sergio Aguero

“When I was younger, the way the Brazilian Ronaldo played had an influence on me. For me he’s the best striker and the best player of all-time. I watch videos of him, and try to do what he does, but it’s not easy. It’s impossible to pull off the same moves as he did.”
— Karim Benzema

“Ronaldo was my hero. He was the best striker I’ve ever seen. He was so fast he could score from nothing, and could shoot the ball better than anyone.”
Lionel Messi

At the 1998 World Cup, after the best two years of his career.
Photo: Ross Kinnaird /Allsport
“The best player I have ever played with? That’s Ronaldo, il Fenomeno. [ . . . ] I have seen il Fenomeno do things that nobody else has ever done.”
— Kaka

“For me, the best players are those who are able to think of a play and execute it quickest and in the best way possible, and Ronaldo Nazario has been the best at that. The speed of thought that he had – and the speed he had to carry out his actions – were perfect. It was something amazing. I’ve thought a lot about other players before. I think he was a phenomenon.”
— Kaka

“He’s one of the best attackers you could ever wish to see [ . . . ]. He was such a spectacular player, he ran so quickly with the ball he dribbled with it all the time. [ . . . ] the movement of his legs put defenders in so much difficulty, and then in front of goal he was so at ease and uncomplicated when it came to having a shot.”
— Robert Pires

“The best I have ever played against. If it wasn’t for injury I think he would be talked about on the same level as Pele and Diego Maradona.”
— Gianluigi Buffon

“My favourite Brazilian footballer of all time is Ronaldo. I was fortunate enough to play against him many times, and I was lucky enough to play against him before he got those serious injuries that affected his career. He was a formidable player, a sensational player. He was sort of like an alien because of what he could do on the pitch. The fact that a footballer like him is not remembered as the best player of all time is a great tragedy in my opinion. He had all the skills he needed to be the best ever.”
— Gianluigi Buffon

“Ronaldo did things nobody had seen before. He, together with Romario and George Weah, reinvented the center-forward position. They were the first to drop from the penalty box to pick up the ball in midfield, switch to the flanks, attract and disorientate the central defenders with their runs, their accelerations, their dribbling.”
Thierry Henry

“He was always an example for young people to look up to, for the way he overcame adversity. I was fortunate enough to play alongside him, my idol, for many years and we had so many great times together. He was always an idol of mine and will always be a friend.”
Ronaldinho

“He was my idol and then I end up playing and winning a World Cup with him. The most complete striker there has ever been, the most complete striker there will ever be, it is almost unbelievable to think that he never won the Champions League.”
— Ronaldinho

“I’ve never seen a player able to show such precise control at such a high speed. Watching him was like watching a character in a video game.”
— Marcel Desailly

“If there’s only one player who deserves that nickname, O Fenomeno, it’s him. He’s a phenomenon.”
— Juca Kfouri, a Brazilian sports journalist

“Ronaldo is the best example of a sportsperson I’ve seen who made a comeback to the game, thrice, against all the odds.”
— Juca Kfouri

“I wasn’t able to see Pele play, but I’ve seen Ronaldo, and I’ve never seen a player like him. He’s unique, number one in everything.”
— Emerson

“His movement off the ball was incredible. I’ve never seen anyone with better movement. He positioned himself in such a way, it would make it really easy to play alongside him. I’d like to have played with him, and I’m sure he would then have scored 2000 goals, because I would’ve given him the ball every time.”
— Zico

“Ronaldo was marvellous. He had one year with me at Barcelona, I bought him from PSV, and he was out of this world. He was a god, absolutely fantastic. He had amazing ability, was a great young athlete, a nice character, respected me and it was sad he only played eight months for us there. [ . . . ] The year he had with us you could see he was going to be phenomenal. He was so strong, would go past people, come deep to get the ball, turn and whatever you put in front of him there was a chance he could always go through you. Power and skill.”
— Sir Bobby Robson (when asked about the best signing he’d ever made)

“I once saw Ronaldo score a goal for Barcelona where he beat five or six players. As I’ve said, he was phenomenal. [ . . . ] Maradona at his best was the best I ever saw. A superb player. Ronaldo would be a close second though.”
— Sir Bobby Robson

“When Ronaldo finally put the ball into the net [ . . . ] (Sir) Bobby Robson had his head in his hands. He simply could not believe what he had seen. And nor could anyone else.” Sid Lowe (Sports Illustrated, 2011)
“He was the fastest thing I’ve ever seen running with the ball. Had he managed to stay free of injury, he had every chance of becoming the best footballer ever.”
— Sir Bobby Robson

Ronaldo was lean, mean, as quick as an Olympic sprinter and some of the goals he scored had me shaking my head in disbelief.”
— Sir Bobby Robson

“Sometimes you watched him and you think ‘Christ! Had you tried, if you tried, you could’ve been the most incredible footballer ever.'”
— Sid Lowe

“[ . . . ] Make no mistake, [ . . . ] Ronaldo was the best. The pity is that he was not the very, very, very best. Or that if he was, it was only briefly. He was brilliant but he could have been completely and utterly bloody brilliant. Every. Single. Game. For years and years.”
— Sid Lowe (Sports Illustrated, 2011)

“When he was one on one with the goalkeeper, you knew — just knew — that he would score. He was so natural, so cool, so utterly in control. He would dip the shoulder, step over, and bang!”

“In 1996-97, Ronaldo was unreal (for Barcelona). So good, it embarrassed the rest of the (Spanish) league. He could have embarrassed everyone, everywhere. He was so good that had he done that throughout his career, he might just have been deemed the best player ever.”

“That season Ronaldo was unstoppable. He just blew you away. He scored 47 in 49 games. You watched him and wondered how he had done it; you knew you’d never seen anything like it. Barcelona won the Copa del Rey, the Cup Winners Cup and the Spanish SuperCup. It scored more than 100 league goals — Ronaldo got 34 of them. When Barcelona effectively lost the league, it did so in Alicante against Hércules. Ronaldo was back in Brazil. “That day our beast was missing,” said Pep Guardiola, saying it all. Watch the goals again and it is incredible just how often he went around the keeper — something that adds a kind of childish pleasure, a sense of sheer superiority, to his goals. People talk about walking the ball in; Ronaldo so often did. All it lacked was his getting on his hands and knees and heading the ball in from the goal line. He was slim and powerful, skillful, fast and deadly. He was ridiculously good.”

“I played with him during his only season at Barcelona. It was in 1996-97, and for me that was the greatest year of his life. It was before the injury, and I really don’t think he has been the same player since. Back then he could beat a whole team on his own – he would go past players as if they weren’t there. I remember one goal when he took the ball from midfield and ran past eight players. It was crazy! I could not believe what I was seeing.”
— Laurent Blanc

“I’d seen him on television at PSV and thought ‘wow’. Then he came to Barcelona. He’s the most spectacular player I’ve ever seen. He did things I’d never seen before. We’re now used to seeing Messi dribble past six players, but not then. He was strong, a beast. A kid as well. He was typically Brazilian, doing the samba in the dressing room.”
— Luis Enrique

“A pleasure to play with, even if it was only for a short time. He was so strong and skilful and could do everything at pace and still be deadly. One of the best finishers in the business and a really nice, down-to-earth bloke.”
— Albert Ferrer

At the peak of his physicality and explosive pace, Ronaldo was unstoppable. In this goal against Valencia, he breached a wall of two defenders like they weren’t there.
“After Maradona the best player was Ronaldo [ . . . ] it is my opinion that he is the best of the last 20 years.”
— Jose Mourinho, after Klose broke Ronaldo’s record for goals scored in World Cup finals in 2015

“I was in Spain when he was playing for Barcelona, and I can tell everybody that he was one of the best. He was impossible to mark, he had an acceleration that made him difficult to stop, he was scoring goals for fun, he was doing things that the rest couldn’t do. He was the special player during my time in Spain.”
— Gus Poyet

“[ . . . ] he’s not a man, he’s a herd.”
— Jorge Valdano

Note: There seem to be varying versions of Valdano’s comparison of Ronaldo and a herd; for instance, Sid Lowe included this in his 2011 Sports Illustrated article: “When Ronaldo attacks, it is like the whole herd attacks.”

“He didn’t come to France to compete with the players of his generation but to seek a place amongst the best of the two millennia – this one and the coming.”
— Jorge Valdano, during the 1998 World Cup

“If Romário, his predecessor, was subtlety, Ronaldo is exuberance. If Romário’s habitat was the penalty area, Ronaldo’s home would need to measure half the size of the pitch. If Romário is the past, Ronaldo’s almost cybernetic play belongs to the future.”
— Jorge Valdano, during the 1998 World Cup

“When he played for Barca, he was chosen FIFA World Player, (became) top-scorer, a lot of things that were unthinkable for a player of his age. He assumed that pressure, and won it all. I think he deserves even more respect than he receives.”
— Fernando Torres

“He has done what no other player could do in football.”
— Samuel Eto’o

“Ronaldo during his first two years at Inter was phenomenal.”
Paolo Maldini

Do many pictures symbolize Serie A in the 1990s the way this does? The best attacker in the world against the best defender. Even the mythical Maldini couldn’t take the ball off Ronaldo. An unstoppable force against an immovable object.
“I play in Italy and everyone I’ve ever talked to there said that Ronaldo was the best player that ever played in Italy. For me he was the most complete player ever.”
— Miroslav Klose

“Ronaldo is a brilliant player and a phenomenon with whom I wouldn’t dare to be compared to.”
— Hernan Crespo (after replacing Ronaldo at Inter Milan)

“Whether he goes left or right, you don’t see the ball. It’s magic.”
— Marcel Desailly

“I remember the defenders were all afraid of him. That’s the word at the time of facing him.”
— Alberto Zaccheroni

“Coaches recommended a second defensive line against him because everyone had the impression that Ronaldo would be able to lose his marker, whether it was with a sprint, or facing a defender directly.”
— Marcello Lippi

“He could do whatever he wanted with the ball. If he decided to score, then he’d score. He had strength, technique, and could play anywhere, on any pitch, against any opponent. He was above everyone else.”
— Sandro Mazzola

“What I saw Ronaldo do in that first season at Inter, *sighs*, well I’ve never seen anyone do that. He did incredible things with the ball, at such speed. Incredible.”
— Sandro Mazzola

The greatest player in the world. A mythical footballer above everyone else at age 21.
“Ronaldo? Simple… for me he was the best ever. He was without a doubt the best player I have ever coached in my career. He was a crazy talent. He had an extra gear compared to the rest and he used to do incredible things on the pitch. In training he was even stronger than what you could see in games. Sometimes I was left stunned by the things he did. For him this was normal… but only for him. Unfortunately his career was conditioned by many nasty injuries. Maybe… maybe… he could have gone on to play a lot longer.”
— Luigi Simoni, Ronaldo’s first manager at Inter Milan

“Ronaldo was phenomenal. He proved that he was a cut above the rest that season. I remember his goal against Lazio – he took on the keeper and managed to put him on his back without touching the ball. It was incredible, but he did tricks like that in every training session. We were used to it.”
— Youri Djorkaeff, speaking about Inter Milan’s 3-0 victory over Lazio in the 1998 UEFA Cup final

A shadow. A ghost. A blur. “When he was one on one with the goalkeeper, you knew — just knew — that he would score. He was so natural, so cool, so utterly in control. He would dip the shoulder, step over, and bang!Sid Lowe
“Ronaldo is the hardest attacker I’ve ever had to face. He was impossible to stop.”
— Alessandro Nesta

“The worst experience I ever had was playing against Ronaldo when we faced Internazionale in the 1998 UEFA Cup Final in Paris. He’s an incredible player. I have watched that game on video so many times since then, trying to work out what I did wrong. We lost 3-0 but I don’t think now it was my fault. Ronaldo was simply unstoppable. He is so quick he makes everyone else look as if they are standing still.”
–Alessandro Nesta

Any mentioned of Alessandro Nesta and Ronaldo cannot go without another glimpse of the stunning elastico that the Brazilian performed on the Italian in the final of the 1998 UEFA Cup. It must be seen to be believed, and that it is simply one of a conveyor belt of timeless moments of astonishing genius that Ronaldo enthralled us with during his career tells you a lot about his greatness, and why an entire generation looks up to him as The Phenomenon. Watch that move here, and pay attention, because you will read below about how Zinedine Zidane has spoken volumes about how that move defined the player that Ronaldo was.

“I never played with him at his best, but he was still (bloody) good. He was unbelievable. In his first few years for the national team and for Barcelona and all the other teams he played for, he was just phenomenal. (He had) absolute blistering speed and strength, two feet, mesmerizing foot speed, he was just a blur, he’d be that fast. Even in training, he showed more than enough to convince me that I would have loved to play with him at his peak.”
— Michael Owen

“The Brazilian Ronaldo was the best player I played with. [ . . . ] The goal I scored against Fulham (during the 2002/3 season, when van Nistelrooy carried the ball from the half-line before scoring a neat finish), which was exceptional for me, for him it was more like his standard. His natural ability was far beyond anything that I’ve played alongside.”
— Ruud van Nistelrooy

“Ronaldo, the phenomenon, was the greatest player I have ever coached.”
— Fabio Capello

“What made Ronaldo different was his sheer physical strength. He is the best I have played with.”
— Luis Figo

“If we are talking about singular players, Ronaldo is one of the most singular ones. He can get no ball for the whole match and determine the match with one action of his.”
— Vicente del Bosque

“He hardly helps the defense of the team, he isolates himself sometimes, but he has a virtue that is priceless and that’s why he’s Ronaldo.”
— Vicente del Bosque

“I saw Ronaldo play better a few times in Spain when at Barcelona and I was playing for Atlético Madrid [between 1996-9], and he was still in unbelievable shape when we met him at Madrid. He was just an outstanding player.”
— Quinton Fortune
(about Ronaldo’s hat-trick against Manchester United at Old Trafford in the 2002-3 season)

“What a game – Ronaldo was marvellous. His third goal was a tremendous strike and you can’t legislate for someone who produces moments like that.”
— Sir Alex Ferguson
(about Ronaldo’s hat-trick against Manchester United at Old Trafford in the 2002-3 season)

“Ronaldo destroyed us. Raúl was out with appendicitis, so the big man was up front on his own. The whole crowd got to their feet and gave the bloke the kind of ovation a United player would have got. The Manchester crowd knows its football and knew they’d been privileged to be there, watching Ronaldo play. I felt really proud of them in a different way that night, watching their reaction as Ronaldo walked off with his hands above his head, clapping back.”
— David Beckham

“When he left the field of play almost every United fan stood up and clapped their hands, because of course what Ronaldo did in that match was something very special.”
— Pierluigi Collina

“If Ronaldo had not had those several knee injuries, we would probably be talking about a player — I don’t know on the same level as Maradona or Cruyff — but very close to them.”
— Emilio Butragueno
(before the 2002 FIFA World Cup)

“He creates a goal-scoring opportunity where it doesn’t exist. He needs no one to score; most strikers need the midfielders and their team-mates, but he does not. You give him the ball and he’ll score. He is so great with the ball, he is a phenomenon.”
— Emilio Butragueno

“A decisive player. It does not matter where he receives the ball. 50 meters from goal? It does not matter. In the last 25 meters there is no player like him in the world, with his demolishing finishing capacity.”
— Emilio Butragueno

“He’s the best finisher the world has ever seen and it’s difficult to see another like him. It’s not like he just shoots, he knows where to send the ball, he knows what he wants to do when he faces the goal. Of modern players, he’s the most skilled when it comes to goal-scoring.”
— Jose Antonio Camacho

“Ronaldo Nazário was, without doubt, the best striker I’ve ever seen. What I saw him do was spectacular, and that was having come to the club after a World Cup and having been sidelined for two years before that with a knee injury.”
— Michel Salgado

“Without hesitation, Ronaldo is the best player I ever played with. He had such an ease with the ball. He is number one. Every day I trained with him, I saw something different, something new, something beautiful. That’s what makes the difference between a very good player, and the exception, who, for me, is Ronaldo.”
Zinedine Zidane

“He was the best of all time, The Phenomenon. Before defenders and goalkeepers could understand what he will do, he was already far away.”
Zinedine Zidane

“He was a one-off in terms of ability and had the skill to turn a half-chance into an incredible goalscoring opportunity. He was phenomenal when one-on-one with the goalkeeper. Those who saw him play know what I’m talking about. It’s not easy to put it into words, but I’m not exaggerating by any means.”
— Zinedine Zidane

“There are many things I like about Ronaldo, but I will never forget the UEFA Cup final of 1998, against Lazio. Down the left flank, that move against Alessandro Nesta. That gesture that I am talking about is a little dribble that in my opinion defines his whole game. A few players can do it, usually Brazilians, but not as fast as Ronaldo did it in that game.”
— Zinedine Zidane

“For me the most impressive thing about Ronaldo is that he knows what he will do before he receives the ball. This is the best asset of a player like Ronaldo.”
— Zinedine Zidane

“In terms of technique Ronaldo is the best. Nobody is better than him.”
— Zinedine Zidane

“I think he has an innate talent, he is like Maradona. Ronaldo was born with it and perfected it in his hood, in a Brazilian team and then in Europe. But his talent was there from the beginning. It was just a matter of time.”
— Zinedine Zidane

“I’ve always seen Ronaldo as the best [ . . . ]. He’s probably the best player I ever played with. He did what he wanted with the ball and didn’t have any weaknesses. When he decided to express himself with the ball, he did whatever he wanted. Technically, no player has impressed me more than Ronaldo. On a good day, it was impossible to stop him.”
— Zinedine Zidane

“There was no system or tactics that could stop him. It’s like that with a few players and he was one of them – he was fast and skilled. When Ronaldo had the ball, he ran at 2000 miles per hour. In most cases, you’re fast without the ball. He was fast with it.”
— Zinedine Zidane

OverratedOpinion

That I basically agree with, but it just depends if you value consistency or moments of brilliance. Cristiano and Messi obviously has both, but most others only have either.
The point I was making originally is that Ronaldo was not as inconsistent as you make it sound. He had numerous full seasons where he was astonishing.

I think certain players who are good for their club on a weekly basis but have one or two defining World Cups get remembered as being a higher calibre of player than they were but I don't believe Ronaldo was one of them.

I do agree Messi and Cristiano will be remembered at a higher level but if Ronaldo had been more disciplined, the last 25 years would have been looked on as the era of Messi, Ronaldo and Ronaldo. It shows how important professionalism and a drive to succeed is along with talent.

Reactions: Mciahel Goodman

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Romario

© Getty Images

Now 43, Brazil legend Romario was always supremely gifted with a ball at his feet. Although neither particularly tall nor athletic, the Rio de Janeiro native became a goalscoring icon in a country where gifted footballers seem to grow on trees. Moreover, the talents of O Baixinho were not limited to his on-field endeavours, and he was often as dangerous around a microphone as he was in the penalty area.

Throughout a prolific career, in which he claims to have scored more than 1,000 goals, controversy was never far away from the forward variously described as an extrovert, hedonist and genius.

"The day I was born, God laid eyes on me and said: 'He's the man.'"
Romario after winning the league championship with Flamengo in 1998

"I'm like money, at the end of the day everybody quite likes me."
Romario's unique self-appraisal

"The goalscorer always deserves some credit but not this time. The way I hit that, even my mother would have saved it."
Romario in a rare example of self-reproach

"I'm like any Brazilian: I like women and I like to go out and enjoy myself, which is why people can identify with me. The night has always been my friend. When I go out I feel good, then I always score goals."
Romario on his fondness for nightlife

"Because I come from the favela, I know about misery and what it means to make sacrifices. I was also poor and suffered hardships. In my day, unfortunately, nobody reached out a hand, which is why I'm happy to help now."
Romario on the launch of his Romarinho Foundation, a project to help Rio street children

"I don't see there being a successor. There was only one Pele, only one Maradona, and there'll only ever be one Romario. However, in the penalty area I consider myself the best there's been."
Romario on his legacy

"There's nothing I like more than football ...except for sex."
Romario on his personal tastes

"Wherever my name appears it's linked to a scandal. Trouble follows me around, but that's ok. I'm like an Indian; I only hit out when I've been attacked first."
Romario on his habitual involvement in controversies

"Only televisions should worry about projecting a good image."
Romario remains indifferent to rumours surrounding his social life

"Will I become a coach in the future? No way, I'd never be able to put up with someone like me."
Romario before changing his mind and coaching Vasco de Gama

"How does it feel to have this cup in my hands? Cold, because the thing is freezing!"
Romario jests on getting reaquainted with the FIFA World Cup Trophy in an interview with FIFA.com

"Some people say I lost control, but they don't realise Romario has emotions too. If Pele and (Brazilian basketball star) Oscar can show their emotions, why can't Romario?"
Romario on shedding tears in a press conference where he asked in vain for Luiz Felipe Scolari to include him in the squad for Korea/Japan 2002

"I've enjoyed myself very much but I just can't match the younger generation anymore. I've done everything I ever wanted to do in football."
Romario on his retirement from professional football. Currently, he is considering a return with Rio de Janeiro state second-division side America.

"I wish God had warned me not to say some of the stupid things I've come out with on occasion."
Romario in a moment of reflection

"I didn't kill Michael Jackson, bring swine flu to Rio de Janeiro or rob anybody, yet I'm being made out to be the villain of all Brazil. Well, I'm not."
Romario at a recent press conference where he rejected allegations he was embroiled in financial scandals

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
This is a serious question?

Yes, he was. Don't even go into statistics, Suarez never got near Ronaldo's level from that time.

Other teams would pray that he would have an off day. Which he rarely had during his peak. Even after the injury, he was for 3 seasons along with RVN and Henry best striker in the world.

meninred

I don't agree with that at all, people feel all nostalgic and over-rate older things a lot of the time.

Personally I think Cristiano and Messi are BY FAR the best players ever and none of Maradona, Pele or company can achieve what either of them has if they were younger.

Keep In mind that Cristiano and messi achievements are based almost entirely at club level. One cannot claim to be the greatest unless they elevate themselves and show that consistency and achievement at national level.

Cal?

CR7 fan
The point I was making originally is that Ronaldo was not as inconsistent as you make it sound. He had numerous full seasons where he was astonishing.

I think certain players who are good for their club on a weekly basis but have one or two defining World Cups get remembered as being a higher calibre of player than they were but I don't believe Ronaldo was one of them.

I do agree Messi and Cristiano will be remembered at a higher level but if Ronaldo had been more disciplined, the last 25 years would have been looked on as the era of Messi, Ronaldo and Ronaldo. It shows how important professionalism and a drive to succeed is along with talent.
Numerous? How many times did he finish top scorer in the league he played in during his entire career?

I think L Ronaldo gets remembered being a higher calibre than he was because people liked to imagine what could have been, he was phenomenal before his multiple injuries, but that was that.

Cal?

CR7 fan
This is a serious question?

Yes, he was. Don't even go into statistics, Suarez never got near Ronaldo's level from that time.

Other teams would pray that he would have an off day. Which he rarely had during his peak. Even after the injury, he was for 3 seasons along with RVN and Henry best striker in the world.
I beg to differ, how much of his Barca season or first 2 Inter seasons did you watch to arrive at that conclusion?

As for the 3 seasons AFTERhis injuries, I assume you mean the first 3 seasons at Real Madrid? Where he finished the seasons scoring fewer goals than Roy Makaay and Diego Forlan in 2 of those?