How good was the Zenit team that won the Uefa Cup?

Luke1995

I was wondering what happened with Zenit after that season and just how good they were/could have been if the team got investment for the long term

They managed to see off Marseille Bayern Leverkusen and Bayern Munich before winning the final... that was really impressive.

And not just that, but if I recall correctly, they also won the Russian league that year ahead of teams like CSKA, Lokomotiv and Spartak Moscow

Couldn't find a thread on Russian football in general, so I think this is worth talking about a little bit.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
They had an Argentine that looked really good later transfered to a la liga team and was just pure shit.
Forgot his name

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
They were really good. I think they gave Bayern a beating. Arshavin was brilliant and they had just signed Danny who scored a great goal against us.

I expected them to be great in the UCL the season after but they weren’t. They did have Juventus and Real Madrid in their group in fairness. The Shakhtar side that won the UEFA Cup a year later were better

Demyanenko_square_jaw

They did have investment, Gazprom took charge a couple of years earlier. However the team was still not too different from previous years, with attempts at bigger signings and building a deeper squad yet to start. Bringing in a good manager in Advocaat was the main purchase at the time.

The team that won the uefa cup was quite typical of what you got with a top 4 Russian team in that era. A big gap between 3-6 players that could play at a high level and the rest nondescript role players or outright liabilities. Good when in form, but cold fall apart quickly if one or two of the stronger players isn't on their game.

Strengths were the midfield with Anatoliy Tymoschuk as Defensive Mid. He was excellent in most things defensively, but not skilled on the ball. Went on to be a good squad player/sometime starter at Bayern, though from what i saw they mostly used him at CB.

Igor Denisov as younger partner alongside him was similar, though imo had more potential to develop into a more complete centre midfielder. He was a troublemaker and stereotypical "difficult character" at every side he played for and never fully developed his game or moved outside rpl. The kind of player that could look like he should be playing at a much higher level one season then be average most of the next.

Konstantin Zyryanov dictating things and Arshavin drifting about between the lines provided the creativity. Zyryanov was a very technical player with strong organisational abilities and passing skills. One of the last players that was obviously from the ussr midfield school and that Russia has really struggled to produce once the developmental burden became entirely on Putin-era football coaching.

Igor Anyukov was a very good right-back, especially in providing a consistent extra passing option in dangerous areas.

Malofeev was a decent keeper.

Pogrebnyak as lone forward did have a great tournament, it was his career high point. He was never a player i thought had much talent however and was also very injury prone. Roman Shirokov was also around, but he only became a good player when he moved into midfield. He was a defender at this point for some reason and a liability other than being able to spray some excellent passes about.

The team was actually quite bad in the early group stage part of the tournament and were lucky to get through. Those games took part towards the end of the 2007 season when they were fighting for a first Russian league win and they didn't have the squad depth for focusing on the European games at such a time. Then they hit form for the knockout stages which took part during the next russian league season. A season they eventually struggled in and finished 5th despite adding Danny. They got a tough CL group with Juventus and Real Madrid and while most of the games were tight, they were obviously underdogs there especially in depth and experience.

It wasn't really until Spalleti came in and 2010 season that they threatened to pull away due to their financial advantage and possibly become a russian PSG with back to back league wins. FFP coming in, Putin's seizing crimea with the financial repercussions that followed and some not too competent running of the club stopped that before it really got going.

Last edited:

RashyForPM

They beat us didn’t they? That was when we were possibly the greatest team Britain has ever seen as well. Must have been pretty good then.

Edit: Just had a look, and we fielded:

VdS
Neville Rio Vida Evra
Fletch Scholes Ando Nani
Tevez Rooney

The fact that they deservedly beat this team with a team that consisted of only 5 players I know (Tymoshuck (sp), Danny, Dominguez, Arshavin and Pogrebnyak), means yeah, they definitely were pretty good.

Josh 76

They beat us didn’t they? That was when we were possibly the greatest team Britain has ever seen as well. Must have been pretty good then.

Edit: Just had a look, and we fielded:

VdS
Neville Rio Vida Evra
Fletch Scholes Ando Nani
Tevez Rooney

The fact that they deservedly beat this team with a team that consisted of only 5 players I know (Tymoshuck (sp), Danny, Dominguez, Arshavin and Pogrebnyak), means yeah, they definitely were pretty good.
I can remember Danni destroying us. He was unplayable that day.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Was mainly Arshavin who had an outstanding year given he was excellent at euro 2008. Was Kerzakhov still there or had he moved to Sevilla by that point, he was decent striker aswell.

Will have a look at who else was in that team.

Edit; Tymoschuk was in the team aswell.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
Everton should of won the competition that year and we even beat Zenit 1-0 that year in the competition. Sadly Sebastian Frey putting in one of the greatest goalkeeping performances I have ever seen put a stop to that. Moyes being a bit of a coward away from home also didn't help.

EDIT - The more i think about it we finished 5th 6th and then 5th in 2007,2008 and 2009 when the teams above us where at their best in Europe. It made sense for us to be one of the best teams in the UEFA cup them years and with a bit of luck and a more experiences manager in Europe we should have gone on to win it. Definitely the best years under Moyes with a lot of good players in their prime : Howard, Neville , Lescott, Jagielka, Baines, Cahill, Arteta, Pienaar, Yakubu and Johnson.

Last edited:

Robbie Boy

Everton should of won the competition that year and we even beat Zenit 1-0 that year in the competition. Sadly Sebastian Frey putting in one of the greatest goalkeeping performances I have ever seen put a stop to that. Moyes being a bit of a coward away from home also didn't help.
Aye, Frey was capable of that alright. Class keeper.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
Aye, Frey was capable of that alright. Class keeper.
The more i think about it we finished 5th 6th and then 5th in 2007,2008 and 2009 when the teams above us where at their best in Europe and in the league. It made sense for us to be one of the best teams in the UEFA cup them years and with a bit of luck and a more experienced manager in Europe we should have gone on to win it. Definitely the best years under Moyes with a lot of good players in their prime : Howard, Neville , Lescott, Jagielka, Baines, Cahill, Arteta, Pienaar, Yakubu and Johnson.

Robbie Boy

The more i think about it we finished 5th 6th and then 5th in 2007,2008 and 2009 when the teams above us where at their best in Europe and in the league. It made sense for us to be one of the best teams in the UEFA cup them years and with a bit of luck and a more experienced manager in Europe we should have gone on to win it. Definitely the best years under Moyes with a lot of good players in their prime : Howard, Neville , Lescott, Jagielka, Baines, Cahill, Arteta, Pienaar, Yakubu and Johnson.
Everton were a good watch back then and a tough opponent.

Lee565

Arshavin was on fire during that period and made that team just like he carried the Russian national team to a decent run at euro 2008

SirAF

Ageist
Should have beat them and won that trophy. Still annoying.

GazTheLegend

I remember thinking we should have won that game easily but oh well. They were pretty good.

Grande

They did have investment, Gazprom took charge a couple of years earlier. However the team was still not too different from previous years, with attempts at bigger signings and building a deeper squad yet to start. Bringing in a good manager in Advocaat was the main purchase at the time.

The team that won the uefa cup was quite typical of what you got with a top 4 Russian team in that era. A big gap between 3-6 players that could play at a high level and the rest nondescript role players or outright liabilities. Good when in form, but cold fall apart quickly if one or two of the stronger players isn't on their game.

Strengths were the midfield with Anatoliy Tymoschuk as Defensive Mid. He was excellent in most things defensively, but not skilled on the ball. Went on to be a good squad player/sometime starter at Bayern, though from what i saw they mostly used him at CB.

Igor Denisov as younger partner alongside him was similar, though imo had more potential to develop into a more complete centre midfielder. He was a troublemaker and stereotypical "difficult character" at every side he played for and never fully developed his game or moved outside rpl. The kind of player that could look like he should be playing at a much higher level one season then be average most of the next.

Konstantin Zyryanov dictating things and Arshavin drifting about between the lines provided the creativity. Zyryanov was a very technical player with strong organisational abilities and passing skills. One of the last players that was obviously from the ussr midfield school and that Russia has really struggled to produce once the developmental burden became entirely on Putin-era football coaching.

Igor Anyukov was a very good right-back, especially in providing a consistent extra passing option in dangerous areas.

Malofeev was a decent keeper.

Pogrebnyak as lone forward did have a great tournament, it was his career high point. He was never a player i thought had much talent however and was also very injury prone. Roman Shirokov was also around, but he only became a good player when he moved into midfield. He was a defender at this point for some reason and a liability other than being able to spray some excellent passes about.

The team was actually quite bad in the early group stage part of the tournament and were lucky to get through. Those games took part towards the end of the 2007 season when they were fighting for a first Russian league win and they didn't have the squad depth for focusing on the European games at such a time. Then they hit form for the knockout stages which took part during the next russian league season. A season they eventually struggled in and finished 5th despite adding Danny. They got a tough CL group with Juventus and Real Madrid and while most of the games were tight, they were obviously underdogs there especially in depth and experience.

It wasn't really until Spalleti came in and 2010 season that they threatened to pull away due to their financial advantage and possibly become a russian PSG with back to back league wins. FFP coming in, Putin's seizing crimea with the financial repercussions that followed and some not too competent running of the club stopped that before it really got going.
Great presentation! Thanks. I of course remember Arshavin, in addition to Pogrebnjak and Tymoschuk, but what hapened to Zyryanov later?

Some of the team football when they clicked was a great watch, and adding it up with the Russian team who beat Netherlands and playedbrilliant fotball in the Euro’s, had me remiscing about the Dynamo Kyiv and Soviet era of Lobanovski, with Igor Belanov in the virtuoso role.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I genuinely came in this thread to ask if that was against this lot. Was possibly the worst/most blatant handball ever.
Yet O’Shea celebrated like it was a real goal. :lol:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
We played 19 games in Europe that year and I thought they were the best team we faced all season. Hit their stride at the business end of the season.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
We played 19 games in Europe that year and I thought they were the best team we faced all season. Hit their stride at the business end of the season.
I remember going to the final thinking they were the better team, but being in Manchester it was going to be like a home game for us, & that would even it out.

I don't think they played their best in the final, but they still were the better team, if I remember right we were quite defensive as well. We only really went at them when we went 1-0 down & missed a couple of decent chances, but they got a late 2nd to kill us.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I remember going to the final thinking they were the better team, but being in Manchester it was going to be like a home game for us, & that would even it out.

I don't think they played their best in the final, but they still were the better team, if I remember right we were quite defensive as well. We only really went at them when we went 1-0 down & missed a couple of decent chances, but they got a late 2nd to kill us.
Aye. I felt we had just run out of gas. 68 games that season and no flexibility in the league schedule to give us a decent rest beforehand.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Great presentation! Thanks. I of course remember Arshavin, in addition to Pogrebnjak and Tymoschuk, but what hapened to Zyryanov later?

Some of the team football when they clicked was a great watch, and adding it up with the Russian team who beat Netherlands and playedbrilliant fotball in the Euro’s, had me remiscing about the Dynamo Kyiv and Soviet era of Lobanovski, with Igor Belanov in the virtuoso role.
Zyryanov only really came to the fore later in his career with the national team and Zenit's ascent. He was already almost 30 by Euro 2008. It's not that he wasn't good before that, but that centre midfield playmaker/attacking midfield role was one area Russia were still quite strong in despite being a dysfuntional team overall during mid 90s-early 00s with Mostovoi, Alenichev at Porto, Titov (spartak's last big homegrown star that eventually badly effected his career with doping and not moving abroad before that despite Spartak falling apart as a club, he was a Totti sort of figure for them ) and a few others were in front of him at different times.

He played for Torpedo Moscow from 2000 to 2006 who weren't that good for most of that period and as a purely supportive player that rarely scored, he was overlooked by many with it not being a position that was a problem at the time. He also had personal tragedy in 2002 with the death of his wife and daughter. I wasn't a follower of torpedo, but had heard from fans who mentioned him taking a couple of seasons to return to any kind of steady form after that. His more advanced midfield partner from this era and later in the NT from 2007-10 (plus briefly zenit) Igor Semshov was actually the one player from this team getting some hype. He was a more decisive player at the time at RPL level and also had plenty of technique and vision, but unlike Zyryanov at zenit/nt i never found him to be a player mentally capable of stepping up levels consistently in europe/internationally. You could watch Semshov's battles with Modric in the 2008 qualifiers to easily see the difference between two at the time under the radar skillful players where one has potential to move up and one has something missing and probably never will.

so basically by the time Zyranov established himself at the top of russian football and as a player that might be of interest quality-wise to bigger league clubs, he was too old for most of the more enticing ones to be interested. Add in that money had become good at the top russian teams so the brief culture of moving west that began in late 80s was stopped before it really set in fully and he was happy to see out the rest of his prime (which lasted till about 2011/12) at Zenit.

Last edited:

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Aye. I felt we had just run out of gas. 68 games that season and no flexibility in the league schedule to give us a decent rest beforehand.
When you think about the fact we played 5 fixtures in 10 days, in 3 competitions including 2 Cup finals, there would be an outrage if an English club had to do that. No wonder we ran out of steam. Of course, a certain other club that asked for the season not be extended benefited from that.

Water Melon

I genuinely came in this thread to ask if that was against this lot. Was possibly the worst/most blatant handball ever.
True that. The whole team was off that day. Extremely lacklustre and shite performance. It was second yellow and a red for the ginger prince.

Grande

Zyryanov only really came to the fore later in his career with the national team and Zenit's ascent. He was already almost 30 by Euro 2008. It's not that he wasn't good before that, but that centre midfield playmaker/attacking midfield role was one area Russia were still quite strong in despite being a dysfuntional team overall during mid 90s-early 00s with Mostovoi, Alenichev at Porto, Titov (spartak's last big homegrown star that eventually badly effected his career with doping and not moving abroad before that despite Spartak falling apart as a club, he was a Totti sort of figure for them ) and a few others were in front of him at different times.

He played for Torpedo Moscow from 2000 to 2006 who weren't that good for most of that period and as a purely supportive player that rarely scored, he was overlooked by many with it not being a position that was a problem at the time. He also had personal tragedy in 2002 with the death of his wife and daughter. I wasn't a follower of torpedo, but had heard from fans who mentioned him taking a couple of seasons to return to any kind of steady form after that. His more advanced midfield partner from this era and later in the NT from 2007-10 (plus briefly zenit) Igor Semshov was actually the one player from this team getting some hype. He was a more decisive player at the time at RPL level and also had plenty of technique and vision, but unlike Zyryanov at zenit/nt i never found him to be a player mentally capable of stepping up levels consistently in europe/internationally. You could watch Semshov's battles with Modric in the 2008 qualifiers to easily see the difference between two at the time under the radar skillful players where one has potential to move up and one has something missing and probably never will.

so basically by the time Zyranov established himself at the top of russian football and as a player that might be of interest quality-wise to bigger league clubs, he was too old for most of the more enticing ones to be interested. Add in that money had become good at the top russian teams so the brief culture of moving west that began in late 80s was stopped before it really set in fully and he was happy to see out the rest of his prime (which lasted till about 2011/12) at Zenit.
I’ve followed Spartak a bit from a distance since I was a kid, and of course remember Egor Titov. A shame about that doping scandal, which I think was with several teammates and blamed on the assistant physio or something. He had been rumored to go to Atletico at some point before, and it puzzled me somewhat that he stayed at Spartak then.

Terrible story about Zyryanovs wife and kid, no wonder his carreer took a turn. All the better that he managed to contribute some memorable magic later.

Luke1995

I didn't expect the thread to have this many replies! You guys really know your stuff.

It's funny, you will always find some great teams throught one or two seasons who just drift away from top form for some reason.

The Middleborough team who got to the Uefa Cup final comes to mind. Also Portsmouth gave us hell in some 2007-2008 games and nearly beat Milan...

But I strongly remember being very impressed with that Zenit team. They had a fluidity of movement, a beauty in their passing style and alot of pace.

Arshavin was the star but credit to the coach for getting all of them motivated. The forward, Pogrebnyak also was fantastic...

Luke1995

The 2000's were a good time for russian clubs, right ? Also remember seeing CSKA have great european performances.

More recently, I remember that time when Anzhi got Roberto Carlos, Eto'o, William, Lassana Diarra... they beat Rodger's Liverpool once and knocked Newcastle out...

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
They played absolutely fantastic football. Zyryianov was like Russian Xavi — very good midfielder. The right back was a mini Daniel Alves too. And obviously Arshavin. Very good team.

Champagne Football

The Uefa Cup winners didn't get a place in the Champions League if I can remember, so Europe's elite often didn't take it too seriously.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
The 2000's were a good time for russian clubs, right ? Also remember seeing CSKA have great european performances.

More recently, I remember that time when Anzhi got Roberto Carlos, Eto'o, William, Lassana Diarra... they beat Rodger's Liverpool once and knocked Newcastle out...
I remember Villa playing Cska Moscow in 2009. Think Zico was managing them and they had Akinfeev in goal, those twins at the back and also Zhirkov a few months before his brief time at Chelsea.

Was the tie where O'Neill completely chucked it in for the second leg and put a virtual youth team out but CSKA were good at VP. Vagner Love scored their goal I think although I always felt he was a bit overhyped but interesting how he'd have got on in a major league.

My favourite player from watching them was Milos Krasic. Looked like Nedved but played in similar style to Hleb when he had that peak season at Arsenal and got a move to Barcelona.

Thought Krasic would be huge player in european football and he did get a move to Juventus but massively flopped there (think it was the same season Diego also couldn't do much) and then became journeyman in a few leagues.

Thought they might go on and win europa but they went out next round.

Spartak had some good wins in champions league start of 2000s, can remember them beating Arsenal 4-1 and Titov running riot in central midfield.

Giggs86

Diego says hi

Seriously they can feck off, forgot all about that game until that thread popped up. When Maradona does it it's "hand of god" and fecking hero of the century, when Scholesy does it it's a red card. Cnuts.

Tarrou

I can't even remember them winning it let alone any details of the team or players

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Diego says hi

Seriously they can feck off, forgot all about that game until that thread popped up. When Maradona does it it's "hand of god" and fecking hero of the century, when Scholesy does it it's a red card. Cnuts.
Scholes' was more blatant than Diego's, he didn't even try to be sneaky with it. He did it in a meaningless game as well which makes it worse. At least Maradona had a reason to cheat!

Giggs86

Scholes' was more blatant than Diego's, he didn't even try to be sneaky with it. He did it in a meaningless game as well which makes it worse. At least Maradona had a reason to cheat!
It was blatant but Diego's was way more blatant, everyone on the pitch saw it besides the ref. There was no way a short guy like Diego would ever reach to that ball with anything other than his hand. As far as meaningless, I don't know. It is the Charity Shield version of Europe but still was a nice trophy to win.