How important is it for us to avoid a major thrashing by Liverpool or City this season?

Big Andy

Bloke
I'd be chuffed if just for once, we went to these games and played our own game instead of bending to suit their play. None of this ultra defensive shite, just go there and play how we have set up all season and go toe to toe with them.

TheReligion

Abusive
I'd be chuffed if just for once, we went to these games and played our own game instead of bending to suit their play. None of this ultra defensive shite, just go there and play how we have set up all season and go toe to toe with them.
Jumpers for goalposts and all that? The United way.

Bosws87

It would be appreciated if i could stay in Anfield to at least get a half time beer this time round.

Westerkerk

How we fare against the likes of City or Liverpool is purely symbolic. They're one off games and in a way always have been - big difference is lately the odds of winning have not been stacked in our favour and rightly so.

I don't believe these games - the results at least - tell us whether we're moving forward in the right direction - I'll be looking at a lot of other metrics for that over the course of the season

lex talionis

The top priorities for United this season are a top four finish in the PL and winning the EL. Of course we'd like to beat City and Liverpool and, if that's not possible, at least not get thrashed by them, but a one-off thrashing by either should not in any way be a defined priority.

Irwin99

Just having some fight, a clear tactical set up and not just a low block and fast counter will be a massive improvement.

DeGea’sFeet

I think if we sign Lisandro and he takes Maguire’s place the press will be waiting for any excuse to jump on him and say “he’s to short to be a CB in the prem “ so tbh it is important that overall we avoid conceding too much goals. Even if we win our first 10 matches 5-3 the press will still probably point to that and his height.

So actually I think avoiding heavy defeats is very important if ETH is looking to revamp the defence at the cost of Maguire, and probably also Shaw. Don’t forget with a WC coming up the press want these players starting even more than usual.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
What an odd question.

copen1945

Out of all of the matches to be played during the upcoming season, I wouldn't mind parking the bus for the four league matches against these two. In all others, I hope Erik would persist with the style he would like to implement.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
City can beat us 28-0 if we win a cup. Bizarre question.
That is weird you would say that. Not sure about City, but I don't care WTF we win, if we get thrashed 10:0 by Liverpool it will be a disaster. Even winning Europa League won't make that right.

Also, all of this is hypothetical BS. I am 95% certain EtH will never let that happen. He will cut his right ball off before he will let even this jokers fall that low, and I hear he is quite fond of his balls...

norm87cro

Yeah the City losses dont sting that bad. The Dippers on the other hand always sting. I would personally take losing to City twice if we could get 4 to 6 against the scum

Fox outside the box

It strikes me as pretty pathetic to be discussing avoiding thrashings, when we should be looking forward to taking these teams to the cleaners! After all it's eleven against eleven. As supporters, are we Manchester United or aren't we?
That sounds good and all but it's very much fluff and buzz. The reality is we have just come off the back of some real beatings and there's a discussion to be had about how it could go in the coming season and what would be considered 'progress'.

'Being Manchester United' doesn't do anything in the real world. This isn't a Mighty Ducks film and we likely aren't going to go from a 9-0 aggregate loss to then 'taking them to the cleaners'.

bringbackbebe

I'm more concerned about avoiding getting trashed by Wolves, Leicester and Burnley. Step 1 will be to start dominating games against mid-lower table teams, step 2 will be to pay well against top 5, particularly top 2. They aren't mutually exclusive of course but if we lose against all of the top 5 home & away, and win our remaining 28 games, we'd have 84 points.

That sounds good and all but it's very much fluff and buzz. The reality is we have just come off the back of some real beatings and there's a discussion to be had about how it could go in the coming season and what would be considered 'progress'.

'Being Manchester United' doesn't do anything in the real world. This isn't a Mighty Ducks film and we likely aren't going to go from a 9-0 aggregate loss to then 'taking them to the cleaners'.
Well we went from two 0-0 games with Liverpool in the 20-21 season to a 9-0 aggregate in 21-22. Things change, players change, managers change and yes a club the size of Manchester United should not be getting thrashed by anyone.
As for the dippers they just sold there best player and replaced him with the new Andy Carroll. Most of their team are the wrong side of 30. They will still finish comfortably top 4, probably second and ahead of us but their best days are behind them.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Feels annual now doesn't it.

Handré1990

It hurts as hell, but we wouldn’t be planning for 6 points over two games vs City before the season. I’d guess we’d hope for 3-4 points. Still much more important to beat the supposed inferior teams on a regular basis. Arsenal and Liverpool already beat once this season. Don’t put too much weight on this game. Will always take time to build something from rock bottom, which is where we are as a club now.

AFC NimbleThumb

I’m just getting bored of losing big. Like it or not we haven’t been as good as they for too long but I can’t remember constantly mauling a rival in the way we get done every year or so by these lot. It’s 3s, 4, all the fecking time.

We were better than Liverpool for 2 fecking decades & whilst we’d occasionally score big it wasn’t to the extent we see now in this ‘rivalry’.

Thing is same players that play like crap today will do alright in a few 1-0s against other teams & all will be forgiven.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
The only positive is the hardest game is out of the way. We are many levels behind City.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Not much of a priority.

In fact given ETH's approach to the game I would say there's quite a good chance of someone absolutely smashing us at some point, even if the season broadly goes well.
Trick is to say shit like this before the season starts. Then you can always be optimistic.

BorisManUtd

October 1996: Newcastle 5-0 United
October 2011: United 1-6 City
October 2020: United 1-6 Spurs
October 2021: United 0-5 Liverpool
October 2022: City 6-3 United

Always October...

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Least it weren’t a proper thrashing. Equivalent to a 3-0 loss. We’ve already beat the scousers and arsenal so far. Think we have enough to beat the other top teams.

b82REZ

It stings but they're levels above us, have been for years and will remain so at least until Pep leaves.

They just leave me cold though. Losing to Pool hurts me far more. City are a soul-less sports washing enterprise.

They make Madrid's galatico policy seem stingy by comparison.

TsuWave

I don't think people understand how much results like this chip away at the club's reputation. Players/potential targets also watch these games

PoTMS

We've become the new Arsenal in that you can guarantee we'll get handed two or three thrashings a season in the league. Bravo - 2 from 7 so far this season, we seem to be excelling ourselves this year.

HookedOnAPhelan

I could 'accept' losing big if we showed some fight and were in the game. Like the 1-6 against City at Old Trafford, which was ridiculously flattering. We never showed up today - once again. We looked shellshocked and terrified from the get go. Late to every ball, losing every duel, misplacing easy passes all over the pitch, and being played through like it was nothing, time and time again.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Least it weren’t a proper thrashing. Equivalent to a 3-0 loss. We’ve already beat the scousers and arsenal so far. Think we have enough to beat the other top teams.
Losing 3-0 (ludicrous spin on letting in effing 6 goals) in a derby isn't a thrashing anymore?

DJ_21

Losing 3-0 (ludicrous spin on letting in effing 6 goals) in a derby isn't a thrashing anymore?
Shows that both defences was bad. Us beating average teams 3-0 wouldn’t be classed as a thrashing so why would a 3 goal difference in a derby be any different.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Shows that both defences was bad. Us beating average teams 3-0 wouldn’t be classed as a thrashing so why would a 3 goal difference in a derby be any different.
So a derby and any other game is of the same significance?

DJ_21

So a derby and any other game is of the same significance?
Ye… only means more to fans. You still only get 3 points for winning… so how is it different to any other game. That’s why managers always say before derbys that they’ll approach it just like every other game and it’s still the same.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Ye… only means more to fans. You still only get 3 points for winning… so how is it different to any other game. That’s why managers always say before derbys that they’ll approach it just like every other game and it’s still the same.
Yeah sure.....City wiping the floor with us, with the whole whole world watching has no significance whatsoever, other than 3 points lost.

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
I have to disagree.

I saw something today I have only ever seen in a school footy game: at 75 mins Man City had a queue of players to sub on, it was as if the manager had agreed everyone would get a game to keep the parents happy! It was 6:1 at that point - yes two late goals make the tally sheet look slightly better, but it was a thrashing and if those subs hadn't have been made, it might have been 7 or 8:1.

But I admire your positivity on such a poor day.