How is Rooney still in our first 11?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He has missed plenty of penalties over the years I don't see why it's surprising.

In the stands there was a huge cheer when Zlatan picked up the ball and it was obvious he was taking it so the fans seem to agree with the decision.
Did Foster not go to the euros? Perhaps it was just they practiced penalties over there and Rooney thought Foster had a little insight into his technique? We shall see next penalty I guess!

Shiva87

Did Foster not go to the euros? Perhaps it was just they practiced penalties over there and Rooney thought Foster had a little insight into his technique? We shall see next penalty I guess!
Mourinho said in an interview after the game that he left the penalty duties to Zlatan, Rooney and Pogba. The 3 of them decided among themselves that it will be Zlatan.

This whole thing shows exactly why Rooney didn't get to Messi's or Ronaldo's level even though he had the skills as a boy. His attitude allows him to make 'adjustments' for bigger personalities. This isn't a bad thing - 'sacrificing self interest for the good of the team', but in contrast, Ronaldo will never let himself be in a position that anyone can take the penalty duties off him.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I'd rather Rooney took the penalty. There is glimpse of hope he will not feature as much once he gets his record. But it's probably nonsense.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
I think everybody is overlooking the defensive contribution that Rooney brings . When we are playing with 2 box to box midfielders you need someone like Rooney to cover them, He was not substituted at all and Moriniho values the work rate of Rooney .I agree that he is not good in attacking sense but Micky or any other player wont have the work rate Moriniho wants from a number 10 . If Rooney is dropped I dont see use playing with Fellaini and Pogba. Instead it will be Schinderlin and Pogba . I feel the best thing is to switch to a 4 3 3 .Midfield of Fellaini ,Pogba and a CDM should be awesome . We are not getting as much from Rooney in attacking sense ,so 4 3 3 makes a lot of sense .
I think many here would like to see a 4-3-3. I think it would suit the players we have and it would solve the number 10 problem and get Rooney out of the team in the process. Carrick sitting in DM behind Pogba and Herrera in a 3 man midfield or even Pogba, Fellaini and Herrera as a 3 all interchanging in defending and attacking would both work well. It seems Jose is set on having a number 10 for now though and sadly that number 10 is our worst player playing one of the most important attacking positions.

Acole9

Outstanding
Rooney's record with penalties has always been a bit patchy. Ibrahimovic should definitely be first choice taker now.

Status
Not open for further replies.