How is Rooney still in our first 11?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
Seriously, what does it take for this man to be dropped? I know we have only played one game this season and the league hasn't started yet but I can just see it now; another new manager who for some unknown reason persists with playing Rooney even when he is clearly the weak link in our side.

He was awful today against Leicester. He looks like a slightly overweight Sunday league player playing with professionals. I honestly think Rooney being in or out of the team will be the difference between us challenging for the title or having another season struggling to make top 4.

Ibrahimovic needs pace and movement around him and if used correctly can be great for us. Playing Rooney behind him means two slow aging players dropping deep and that never works, just as it never did with RVP, Falcao etc when partnered with Rooney. Ibrahimovic with pacey skillful players playing off him is the best chance we have of scoring enough goals to challenge. With Rooney playing we have no chance. Rooney is holding this team back and he must be dropped I just hope Mourinho doesn't stick with him like Van Gaal did.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
No offense OP, but I think, or well I'm relatively positive this thread exists somewhere already, amongst the 100 other Rooney threads.

But I agree with you. He's luckier than a cat with his seemingly endless supply of lifelines. When all signs point to his decline - every manager seems hellBent on shoehorning him into any starting XI for club and country. It's mystifying.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Because he's Wayne Rooney.

I think he can still make a good contribution to our season given his finishing, but he's a poor fit for a much better player we just signed in Ibrahimovic. Personally, I'd have him as second choice number 10.

BringNaniBack

No offense OP, but I think, or well I'm relatively positive this thread exists somewhere already, amongst the 100 other Rooney threads.

But I agree with you. He's luckier than a cat with his seemingly endless supply of lifelines. When all signs point to his decline - every manager seems hellBent on shoehorning him into any starting XI for club and country. It's mystifying.
I did have a look through the first few pages of the main forum and couldn't see any similar threads on Rooney so thought it was worth a thread. It needs to be said. He is the one thing holding this team back now.

AndyJ1985

I honestly have no idea. It's the biggest mystery in football. Everyone in football and the media seem to be blinded to how crap he is. I really don't get it.

BringNaniBack

Because he's Wayne Rooney.

I think he can still make a good contribution to our season given his finishing, but he's a poor fit for a much better player we just signed in Ibrahimovic. Personally, I'd have him as second choice number 10.
That's the problem though isn't it, he's never second choice.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I did have a look through the first few pages of the main forum and couldn't see any similar threads on Rooney so thought it was worth a thread. It needs to be said. He is the one thing holding this team back now.
No worries mate. It's a valid discussion but his defenders will simply just say "oh another Rooney bashing thread". That's all it resorts to these days.

It's clear we have at least 2 (Mata, Mkhitaryan) players better suited to the 10 role than him. That's without considering Ibra, Pogba or Herrera at 10.

Raw

If Mourinho doesn't drop him, no one will. Surely he won't stand for consistently poor performances every week.

It would be fantastic if he gets Rooney back in top form though.

FujiVice

Try throwing a football at a watering can tonight. You'll see how the ball looks when Wayne Rooney touches it these days. Cant believe what I'm seeing half the time. He's shocking.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
God he was awful today. Im hoping either Jose somehow gets him back to a respectable level, or eventually benches him.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
If Jose is to phase him out, he has to do so gradually.

He can't come into a new team, and command the respect of his dressing room whilst immediately shafting one of it's most popular members. He's far too influential. A player like Bastian, who according to reports wasn't that well liked by some teammates? Sure. But Wayne Rooney, the man who has been at the centre of the club for over a decade? I don't think he'd survive doing such a task overnight.

buckooo1978

What will it take....depends how stagnant we look in attack over the next few weeks

Zlatan's physicality got us the winner today but neither he or Rooney had any real threat today

Rooney was wasteful and his control let him down as usual.... not sure he has the technical ability or vision to be in that creative hub

Rooney and a few others will need to start producing over the next 5/6 games.... Rashford is ready and waiting for his chance

Santoryo

ripping the reward

He can't come into a new team, and command the respect of his dressing room whilst immediately shafting one of it's most popular members. He's far too influential. A player like Bastian, who according to reports wasn't that well liked by some teammates? Sure. But Wayne Rooney, the man who has been at the centre of the club for over a decade? I don't think he'd survive doing such a task overnight.
Pretty much this.

It's hard for any new manager to deal with Rooney's situation. You just don't come in and drop the most influential player in the squad who happens to have massive media backing in his own very country where he is the talisman.

The way I see it Mou would need time and by then he'll have hopefully done enough winning with us in order for any of his decision to not be questioned and scrutinized by the media. Once Mou gets to that stage and it becomes even more obvious that Rooney is just stealing a place in the line up, it'll be easier for Mou to drop him but as of now it's a tricky situation.

The only manager who was in a position to drop Rooney w/o shaking up the squad and locker room dynamic and w/o getting jumped on by the media was SAF. And he was already phasing Rooney out but unfortunately he had to retire and new managers came in and they had to play cautious in regard to Rooney hence the butt licking they've been doing for Rooney(Moyes giving him a new bumpy contract, LVG making him captain and making sure he's guarantied of a starting place no matter what. "my captain shall always play")

Ish

Lights on for Luke
It's mind boggling. There was a instant today in the second half, when Blind fizzed the ball into Rooney, with some real pace/power, and Rooney took the ball down really well. Which should, in fairness to his guys, be pretty standard.

The commentator almost jizzed his pants and had to emphasize that touch by Rooney a few times. Obviously needless to say, when Rooney lost the ball shortly after that sequence, the commentator was very quiet. :lol:

Dir Wangem

I will give Mourinho 3 more games. If Rooney hasn't been dropped by then, then there is no doubt in my mind: there's a clause in his contract which says that he has to start unless the team doctor says otherwise.

I refuse to believe that both Van Gaal and Mourinho can't see what everyone else can.

RedTiger

Half mast
Let's get behind him guys, everyone has been having a go but I think we're being harsh now.

It's obvious he just needs a couple of months of playing into form and it would help if his teammates actually weighted their passes to him better, I mean how the feck do we expect him to control a ball if that ball is passed to him fractionally over speed?

He's still got it, I mean if he hasn't then how can we be paying him world class equivalent wages?

SARCASM

Ricardo de la Vega

Its been this way for years. Slow, terrible touch, messing up all the moves which break down every time it gets to him. Such an odd thing that they guy has built a career on what he could have become - not on what he is after that metatarsal injury he suffered against Bayern. He's never been the same since.

Ralph1386

Let's get behind him guys, everyone has been having a go but I think we're being harsh now.

It's obvious he just needs a couple of months of playing into form and it would help if his teammates actually weighted their passes to him better, I mean how the feck do we expect him to control a ball if that ball is passed to him fractionally over speed?

He's still got it, I mean if he hasn't then how can we be paying him world class equivalent wages?

SARCASM
Seriously, that's what people have been saying for three years now. Let's stop the BS. The guy is never going to play into form, he is past it and the sooner Mou realises it, the better.

Ralph1386

Its been this way for years. Slow, terrible touch, messing up all the moves which break down every time it gets to him. Such an odd thing that they guy has built a career on what he could have become - not on what he is after that metatarsal injury he suffered against Bayern. He's never been the same since.
Today I cringed every time a teammate gave him the ball because I knew he was going to mess something up each time.

Last edited:

Ricardo de la Vega

Today I cringed overtime a teammate gave him the ball because I knew he was going to meet something up each time.
Why not drop him for Mata?? I don't get it. Must be something to do with his contract/sponsorship deals because hes such a big star and worldwide icon.

Drainy

Slightly promising that he was indicating after the testimonial that he'd like a new contract and we've not heard anything since

ravi2

Rooney was shockingly bad today, his first touch and passing was awful. If we persist with him as a #10 we won't win a thing this season... And if we do win it will be despite him, but because of him.

Neither Rooney nor Fellaini should be starting for mufc.

GiddyUp

Rooney has been crap for at least three seasons now but it is undeniable that he is the beating heart of this club, not the team, the club. He is the face, ambassador and spokesman. I love Rooney dearly and he is always my favorite player but fortunately I believe my own eyes and it is abundantly clear he is hampering the team. It is a tough one for Mourinho but he will make the right desicion, I'm sure of it. Wayne Rooney is now at a crucial stage of his United career. He will want to beat that scoring record but unless he has a storming season I cannot see him leading the team out in next years shield.
I want him to retire at this club but in football terms at this point it may have been a wiser desicion to sell him and keep Welbeck. Come on Wayne, one last charge son.

Sepukku

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don't think Jose would risk his future at the club by playing Rooney when he is obviously having terrible times. He must do something right. But i reckon today he has been poor beyond his usual self.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Second half he wasn't great but seriously first half Rooney was quite good

Red Bug

Very good post and exactly the reason why Rooney currently starts.

Jose has already won his captain and rest of the team over. He can then subtlety play Wazza in Europa League and Cup games with a bit of luck.

Mourinho is very intelligent. He will know Waz is past it.

Status
Not open for further replies.