How many of the younger players do you think will/can make an impact next season for us ?

davidmichael

Was just reading an interview Andreas Pereira did which was on Sky Sports News about how he's desperate to make an impact for us next season which got me thinking how many of the younger players can or will make an impact in our first team next season ?

We've got from what I see a great set of younger players in Tuanzebe, Rashford, Borthwick-Jackson, Fosu-Mensah and Pereira not too mention Pogba, Bailly, Shaw, Martial and De Gea (young for a world class keeper) all still to hit prime years as well but obviously we need world class experienced players in during the summer to progress.

With how all of our centre backs have played at times this season I don't see why Tuanzebe wouldn't at least get chances and Jose has spoke very highly of him, we know left back is a problem so maybe CBJ might get a shot ? We're light in midfield so Fosu-Mensah AND Pereira could make a big difference to our depth.

Champagne Football

Fosu Mensah and Tuanzebe should go out on loan next season but if they stay they should get chances next season. Pereira is definitely ready to be an impact sub from next season. Can't see any others from the academy getting too much game time

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Andreas could push himself into a serious central midfield option if Mourinho actually gives him gametime

Pavl3n

Borthwick-Johnson? No chance.
Is that a new signing? Never heard of this guy before.

Pereira has a lot of potential I believe. The loan at Granada has worked great for him, having so many appearances (25 out of 28), not only appearances, but starts. I haven't watched any Granada games, but often check YouTube videos of him. Yes, YouTube always shows the best out of a player, you can't see his positioning, however he is very bright. Attempts a lot of take ons, likes to keep the ball, reminds me of Pogba a bit. I also see at times he's been played wide too.

With regards impact - it really depends who Mourinho will bring in the summer. Surely he won't be a starter, but he definitely needs game time. EFL cup, early stages of FA, last game of CL group stage, Christmas hectic period. That's what I see as his game time, unless he really sky rockets and starts producing on regular basis, then he will make an impact to the season. I still think he needs to go through that disappointing section of his career (the one Rashford and Martial are enduring) and next season might be the one.

TFM needs to go out on loan. A loan like Pereira - 1st division, regular play. Whether is Sasuolo or Eintracht Frankfurt or Toulouse, a team in the lower ranks of the top five leagues that will give him good chunk of minutes.

Tuanzebe and CBJ, they will find it really hard to break in. I am 99% sure Mourinho will bring a left back and a center back, which will leave these guys way down the pecking order. Only way for CBJ to make his way through is if Shaw really proves he doesn't have what it takes and become the second option.
Tuanzebe might also need to go out on loan.

Bailly and Martial will be very important next season and I believe Anthony will do much better. He is through the 'get to know your manager', will keep improving and he will have impact on our season. I think he'll get to double digits in the league (for goals).

We all know Mourinho didn't become what he is by utilizing youngsters. He did have his evidence sheet saying he promoted 49(?) players. But it's not about the promotion, it's about trusting them and betting on them.
We all get it. We are not where we want to be and there are areas which need to be improved. Areas that will be addressed in the summer by bringing class players that will be either fighting for a starting place, either be starters. With that in mind, besides the likes of Martial and Rashford, I don't think next season or two there will be much chance given to the young kids. Once Mourinho steadies the ship, we should be expecting and asking for youth development. Until then, I will only wish the ones who broke through already keep improving and cement a starting place in a trophy winning team.

khoazany

Rashy, Andreas, Timbo, Tony, Luky and Tuanz. Hopefully Ro/Gribbo will get some cameos too. Cambo will probably get another loan. Impossible to tell about Adnan.

We might get that young 'un Kylian as well.

Treble_Winning

Fosu-Mensah has a very, very high ceiling. He has incredible potential. He could possibly be much better than Kante. If he eventually makes midfield his best position he could be the next Edgar Davids. Also an incredibly versatile player who can play multiple positions, similar to Philip Lahm.

Pereira is also an exciting prospect, as is CBJ who has already played under LVG.

Rashford as we all know if already a top level player and it won't be long before he is England's first choice striker. He will become world class, as good as Shearer or better.

The future is very bright. The experience of CL football will do them good next season.

Jaybomb

The big ones for me are Pereira, Fosu-Mensah, Tuanzebe, Januzaj and Varela.

I think they're all good enough to at least start semi-regularly. Borthwick Jackson seems like a decent backup LB option aswell. Especially if Shaw is leaving.

Web of Bissaka

Rashford definitely will continue his progress.

Andreas Pereira will be given chances, taking Depay's role, fighting with Lingard, for gaming times. The two of them are behind Mkhi, Mata & Martial, for sure there'll be a lot of chances eg. injuries, tactics. Pereira is the hard-working type who follows instructions tactically, Mourinho luv that kind of players. Plus, he may get games in centre of the midfield in a midfield of three, since our options there are thankfully decreasing this season after Schneider and Schweini left.

TFM have to go on loan next season to prove himself. So far, he's not promising. He have the necessary physical tools (Mourinho's kind of players) but... not convincing enough. Making convincing impacts in the remaining games this season is vital.

Tuanzebe, hard to say, but I bet he'll be given TFM's role next season, as a cover for the CBs and RB. But to have greater chance at this, some defenders will have to go, plus possibly defense reinforcement comes in next season, it'll be tough.

Januzaj, seriously I have less hope of him. For sure, we all have fond memories of him, reigniting excitement back of our youths and bringing good hope reminiscing of the class92, though short-lived, he's not doing that well for top-team standard at Sunderland right... unless miracle happens for him next season.

CBJ, might make impacts next season. The LB position is still not fixed, so the chance will be on him to out-perform Blind, Darmian and Shaw. Theoretically promising, as we know Shaw is out of favour, Blind is inconsistent, while Darmian is.... no comment. Other than them, Rojo is so bad there at LB, so perhaps it's the easiest position to grab.

Reactions: KM

AgentP

I don't have too much expectations as Jose will looking to challenge for the title.

Pereira and Rashford will play regularly but mostly from the bench

Tfm, Tuanzebe to go on loan

Januzaj, cbj to be sold

GM K

Fosu-Mensah has a very, very high ceiling. He has incredible potential. He could possibly be much better than Kante. If he eventually makes midfield his best position he could be the next Edgar Davids. Also an incredibly versatile player who can play multiple positions, similar to Philip Lahm.

Pereira is also an exciting prospect, as is CBJ who has already played under LVG.

Rashford as we all know if already a top level player and it won't be long before he is England's first choice striker. He will become world class, as good as Shearer or better.

The future is very bright. The experience of CL football will do them good next season.

I have not been that impressed with Fosu-Mensah. Is he really that good? but I do like his attitude a lot. United seems to flow in him and he looks like a lad ready to bid his time and learn from the seniors. But nothing beats playing when it comes to developing a young player so if Jose doesn't think he is ready enough to be played, he needs to send the lad out on loan otherwise his career will get stuck in United.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I don't have too much expectations as Jose will looking to challenge for the title.
And I'd be happy with this. I'd be happy if some had the opportunity too, but if Jose wants to concentrate on getting us back on top before we look to bring kids through again it doesn't bother me.

Smores

I think it amusing when you see long lists on this subject. Any club especially a top club would be lucky to have one youth player make an impact per season.

Pereira will probably get thrown into the mix, maybe he'll take the opportunity although chances are he won't. I can see the others mentioned either being sold or loaned out to prove themselves.

Donut

Januzaj, cbj to be sold
I think this is a realistic prediction.

Zlatattack

I expect TFM, Taunzebe and CBJ to be sent out on loan. If they do well they'll get a chance to prove themselves in the senior team next year.

I expect Periera to get a shot in the senior squad.

I expect Martial, Rashford to be regulars next season, much the same as this season.

Januzaj will probably be sold, or be given his last chance to impress in the senior squad. He's tried 2 seasons on loan, he's hardly set the world alight.

I think under this manager we shouldn't expect young players to break through and play for the first team , he's too cautious and the team isn't doing well enough to take risks. I expect young players to have to prove themselves on loan first before being taken seriously at senior level.

Mourinho is a winner, he garuntees that by playing established players. He won't build teams in the way Wenger or Sir Alex might. Just look at Iwobi and Bellerin at Arsenal, the guys always taking a risk, even if it costs him results sometimes.

davidmichael

I completely forgot about Januzaj but then I fully expect him to be sold in the summer as I don't think he's done enough to impress Jose whilst out on loan, it's a shame as he looked to have so much potential but then so did Macheda.

It's no secret we're looking at ball winning midfielders which is exactly what Fosu-Mensah is and he could save us millions if played as such, at such a young age he needs to play in one position to master it but can be a beast for us long term.

CBJ was wasted at Wolves and if I remember right injured or fell out with management which is why he rarely played but looked good for us and is the sort of attacking full back Jose loves, Pereira is a brilliant little midfield playmaker and schemer and would add creativity although I think it'd be off the bench for the time being.

Would Tuanzebe really be any worse an option that what we've got at the moment ? Who knows what could happen if he was to get a few games in pre season alongside Bailly or a new signing, someone mentioned Varela but hasn't he left permanent or was it a loan ?

Robbie Boy

Don't rate Borthwick-Jackson whatsoever and his performances last season get massively overrated on here. He looked ok in what was a seriously dour season, for the most part. Realistically, I think he's miles away from being anywhere near good enough for us.

Zlatattack

Don't rate Borthwick-Jackson whatsoever and his performances last season get massively overrated on here. He looked ok in what was a seriously dour season, for the most part. Realistically, I think he's miles away from being anywhere near good enough for us.
He's 20 years old, give him a chance. Let him spend a couple of seasons as understudy to Shaw (or whoever replaces him if Jose dumps Shaw). If he's good enough the manager will know, if he's not - he'll be moved on.

Robbie Boy

He's 20 years old, give him a chance. Let him spend a couple of seasons as understudy to Shaw (or whoever replaces him if Jose dumps Shaw). If he's good enough the manager will know, if he's not - he'll be moved on.
I just don't see it with him at all. Can't really see him getting a chance under Mourinho and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he left over the summer.

facund

I somewhat agree, his crossing ability made him stand out (and the fact he didn't look sh*t scared despite being thrown in to the team suddenly) but his defending wasn't really put to the test. I'd send him out on loan and see if he can establish himself somewhere, it requires a bit of luck in finding the right club but we already have Shaw, Blind and even Young who seem more accomplished at LB.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I don't think any young player will make impact next season (ignoring Rashford).

Jose won't take any risk with young players and apart from Pereira I don't think anyone will be promoted. Would like to see Tuanzebe and Fosu Mensah out on loan.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Realistically none of them will get to play.

Hopefully Andreas gets some time as we could actually do with someone with his skill set.

Riley is better than CBJ imo. But both along with Axel and TFM should be sent on loan.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

Januzaj, cbj to be sold
Agreed. CBJ will probably be loaned out again though as it has been a bit of a wasted season for him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think Pereira should be brought into the rotation, and I'd be happy for Varela to understudy Valencia.

Munich_1958

The class of 92 or the class of the La Masia are very rare and near impossible circumstances to happen again in world football, too much money and the need to compete doesn't allow the time to breed a team of your own youths when your at the top,
So seeing this lists of 3 or 4 even 5 players who could break through is insane, wont happen we will buy maybe 4 players who will be on a better level than most so it will send them back down the pecking order and out on loan or out of the club
This is were football is and if we don't go with it we will fall miles behind its that simple.

Rashford will keep breaking through which is great firstly being a Manchester lad and secondly someone who would commit his future to the club, Lingard will be there or there about for a few years maybe surprise most and cement a place and other will get chances through the years but it will be by no means another class of 92 in our life time

IMO United are still leaps and bounds ahead of most top clubs in the world for giving youngsters a start and I believe they are the best in the world of starting careers with players now playing there trade learnt at our academy all over the world

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Was just reading an interview Andreas Pereira did which was on Sky Sports News about how he's desperate to make an impact for us next season which got me thinking how many of the younger players can or will make an impact in our first team next season ?

We've got from what I see a great set of younger players in Tuanzebe, Rashford, Borthwick-Jackson, Fosu-Mensah and Pereira not too mention Pogba, Bailly, Shaw, Martial and De Gea (young for a world class keeper) all still to hit prime years as well but obviously we need world class experienced players in during the summer to progress.

With how all of our centre backs have played at times this season I don't see why Tuanzebe wouldn't at least get chances and Jose has spoke very highly of him, we know left back is a problem so maybe CBJ might get a shot ? We're light in midfield so Fosu-Mensah AND Pereira could make a big difference to our depth.
Its impossible to answer because we don't know how they will play next year. All we have is how they are playing now (or not playing in some instances) and how that might extrapolate into next year.

prtk0811

Andreas Pereira is a curious case, He is developing well with the game time he is getting and also he can definitely fit our squad for memphis Depay's open spot, But then we will lessen his game time in that case and he wont get much playing time as a squad player which can stop his growth Process.

He aint Exactly a wide player as of now which we need depth in He's more of a inside player like mata who is more effective in those areas so i think we should continue his loan again next season and have a option of calling him back in january while also target a Wide Player in the window to replace Ashley Young. When Mata turns an year older it might be the right time to Bring Andreas in the Squad.

Fosu Mensah is the Obvious one,As we have too many youngsters right now Only the best of the best who deserves it comes out from the academy on regular basis for the first team .

MoskvaRed

I assume this is a wind up?