How much do we need to spend?

Fracture90

Maybe Willian is what we need? He has PL experience, he's a hard working RW who can contribute going forwards and backwards. You either back the manager or you bin him.
Maybe when Willian said it himself he never wanted to leave when it was clear Conte is leaving, maybe we should have turned our focus to Pulisic and maybe our top paid manager could earn his wages and improve him?

Not everything is that black and white, not every manager is backed fully, but ones that are backed more than the others are usually ones that are able to improve their players and by doing so convince their boards that they should invest more.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
It's not about money, its about scouting, recruitment and long term planning. We have a banker telling our manager that he doesn't fancy some defenders or wingers. The structure at the club is made to make money not to build a team.

We should have a footballing head that plans the future of the club, and a manager that works within this plan and can give his input to the footballing head. Instead we have a banker hiring managers and giving them a few hundred million and fecking off to get noodle sponsors. The only manager that can run the whole of a club's football operation is SAF.

fellaini's barber

You think our first 11 matches Juve, Barcelona, Bayern, Real, City?
We should for the money he spent but we're nit. We can't be as good as them if we spent a trillion dollars under Mourinho. We are not as good as Arse, Liverpool, or Chelsea despite outspending them either. Get a good manager first.

Eric's Seagull

I think it more of an issue on how we spend our money rather than how much we spend, but I think how much we spend does have significance.

We need to spend whatever it takes but these decisions shouldn't be made by Ed and Jose. We should get a proper Director of Football in as soon as possible and then a new manager and do whatever it takes to get us 'challenging' for the top honours.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Smailing young valencia hererra mata jones rashford are not top team materials.

Baily and lindelof are mediocre purchase by today's value. 30m each in the current market is the rate of potentially good player.

We have spent much, but in truth we buy quantity and the only quality we have is pogba and supposedly sanchez if only he's not shit. Martial and the rest arent there yet, good prospect yes but not first team week in week out ready

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Well I actually feel we should be competing with the teams you mention given our current squad. The other teams are way ahead of us even if we're on form.
Doesn't matter you can still beat them. This mentality is a bit silly. Just look at Ajax and their group

Cassidy

Smailing young valencia hererra mata jones rashford are not top team materials.

Baily and lindelof are mediocre purchase by today's value. 30m each in the current market is the rate of potentially good player.

We have spent much, but in truth we buy quantity and the only quality we have is pogba and supposedly sanchez if only he's not shit. Martial and the rest arent there yet, good prospect yes but not first team week in week out ready
Or the manager isn't getting the best from them

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
DeGea
DeLigtDeJongPavard
Dalot — Fred — Kante — Pogba — Shaw
Mbappe — Martial

Reserves - Rashford, Tunazabe, Pareira, TFM, Lingard, Valencia, Bailly, Chong, Gomes, Romero

Style - attacking, fast paced
By adding 5 players only, the whole style and future of the club is assured successful for the next 10 years

Cost
DeLigt - €80m
DeJong - €70m
Pavard - €45m
Kante - €60m
Mbappe - €220m

Sell
Jones - €20m
Rojo - €20m
Darmian- €10m
Lukaku - €75m
Herrera - €15m
Matic - €15m
Lindelof - €20m
Smalling - €40m
Young - €5m
Alexis - €25m

(/championship manager mode)
Posted this in a diff thread

Reddevildans

The going after the established superstar approach has failed miserably. I suggest we buy good prospects from intermediate clubs and make them better players under a attacking manager. Theres now atleast 15 top european/english clubs who can attract players over us. Thats how much we have declined and the quality of football on offer in the past 6 seasons has been dreadful which wont help either. Yes we still remain a top club with a huge history and following but the rot has to stop with better recruitment both in the team, management and scouting.

Zlatattack

But if we keep playing like shiit and if we keep buying dude, someone should be held responsible for that, right? Not to mention the lack of improvement .
I agree. We've had 3 managers apparently buy and sell duds. So i don't know if the person responsible should be the manager again, or someone else? I'm all for Jose out btw.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I find it difficult to think about transfers while that man is still here. Bring a DoF, bring a new manager and let's look at the squad.
We've spent £400m for this guy and it hasn't improved us much.

Cassidy

I agree. We've had 3 managers apparently buy and sell duds. So i don't know if the person responsible should be the manager again, or someone else? I'm all for Jose out btw.
They're not duds

MUFC OK

Terrible transfer strategy at present, our targets would be anyone that you or I could think off of the top of our heads and paying a premium on them. Players of the calibre we require have moved for reasonable fees in the last few years: Kante, Mane, Salah are the obvious ones, but there have been many more.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
this ^^^^^

It can't make sense that several years after the manager's arrival, having spent all that money under his tenure, including what by any standards are absolutely huge investments into Sanchez, Pogba & Lukaku, there are suggestions by some that half the team still needs replacing. Surely other issues need addressing before spending more money on top signings that on the face of it, seem no more likely to work out well than the ones mentioned above ?

As was pointed out at the time Chelsea and City respectively started splashing the cash, yes it's great to be able to just buy another big money player if one doesn't work out, but there needs to also be a structured medium term plan, leaders in the dressing room, identity, etc because spending loads of money on big name signings doesn't alone build a successful team
I can't really understand the man

As Lou Macari said, how can the team ever settle down when the manager is constantly changing his XI? How can the likes of Fred and Dalot adapt to the EPL tempo when they barely ever get a sniff of first team football? What message do we give to players when we spend 30-50m on them only for us to go and search for players in their position a mere 1 year later?

Don't take me wrong we need serious reform at director's level. We need a joint CEO who actually understand football + a DOF. However Mou doesn't inspire me as a man who can turn things around for us. Not with such attitude.

Fracture90

It's more likely that all 3 managers were duds tbh. Just waiting to see this bunch of players under a proper attacking manager before casting my judgement.

Canagel

That team would have gave Juventus the ball and looked clueless on the counter attack under this coach. We don’t need any more flipping players. You’d think Bonucci was Nesta.
Bonucci was actually the weak link and we barely tested that. read that of the 6 goals they conceded this season he had a hand in 5 of them.

RedNed77

And this adds? You think with a different manager our team would compete with Juve etc? Doesn't look like it from what I've seen.
Weird don't you think that Spurs looked "competitive" when they played them and its hard to argue they have a much better team than ourselves.

jontheblue

Supports
MCFC
I can't really understand the man

As Lou Macari said, how can the team ever settle down when the manager is constantly changing his XI? How can the likes of Fred and Dalot adapt to the EPL tempo when they barely ever get a sniff of first team football? What message do we give to players when we spend 30-50m on them only for us to go and search for players in their position a mere 1 year later?

Don't take me wrong we need serious reform at director's level. We need a joint CEO who actually understand football + a DOF. However Mou doesn't inspire me as a man who can turn things around for us. Not with such attitude.
Agreed - as Breakout67 above said: The structure at the club is made to make money not to build a team.

That is exactly the way my red brother sees it and therefore why he is struggling to see the answer

Also though, on top of the board reform, DOF and potential manager change, the issue for him is that when a new player comes to the club, which players do they look up to, are influenced by, etc ? Where is the player culture, the bedrock, that used to be such a huge part of United ? Who are the senior players that lead by example to these new signings ? United have had that in abundance over the years. Chelsea had it with Terry, Lampard, etc. City currently have it with Kompany, KDB & others - top class players, with hugely professional attitudes, hard grafters, that lead by example. If United don't have a core of players of that ilk that incoming players look up to, surely that's a problem right from the start ?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
20m apparently is Mourinho's pay out. So that.
Surely that is nothing if we do not get CL football. Yes we will get the money for this season, is that what they are banking on. We get money for this season's CL and let him see out next season? I hope not.

RedNed77

How did you come to the conclusion that Kanté would be sold for 60m and Mbappé would be sold at all?
Kante looks like a fish out of water in the new role he's been asked to fill as Jorginho has nicked his spot, I'm with Golden Blunder on this in that I think he'll be available in the summer for reasonable money.

I'm with you on Mbappe though, he isn't going anywhere, or if he is its not to us.

Red_toad

Whatever a top class right sided players costs plus a leader in central defence, plus an upgrade on Matic. So 3 really good players I'd estimate £180 million.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
How did you come to the conclusion that Kanté would be sold for 60m and Mbappé would be sold at all?
Kante playing out of position for Chelsea being asked to do a job out of his comfort zone. Only a matter of time before he gets his head turned by the possibility of new pastures. If it takes an extra 20m just do it. If we lose out to Madrid or someone else without trying I’d be pissed. He would allow the others to play.

Mbappe is the most ungettable out of the lot but only a matter of time. He won’t stay at PSG for more than 5 years before he gets bored. Get agent Pogba and martial on the case

tonnas

We need

RB - look how good cancelo was last night having at least one attacking fullback is vital to modern football.

CB - a trusted and experienced player, somebody that can partner Smalling.

DM - Matic is complete shit, need somebody faster and better on the ball.

CM - a box to box type player, Fred could do this yet he doesn’t get played for some reason.

RW - not had a proper one for years absolutely no threat from that side and teams know it.

2 ST (main and back up) - Lukaku is shit.

We need to sell loads first though but it’ll be hard getting rid of players.
This, though I will give Rash a chance and even martial at a str position and keep lukaku a squad player (as crazy as that seems), we need A rb and CB asap, and a CM in summer, we have Dalot and Fred but we are not giving them a chance, maybe Dalot can solve our RB issue but we def need a cb or 2 as a big priority. Apart from that a new manager.

tonnas

Its not even looking better than Cheslea Arsenal or Liverpool who we have outspent.
player wise we are better then those 3, on par with Chelsea. Our players are seeming worse because of our dreadful system.

Canagel

We actually don't need much. Maybe two or three or players just the same as other teams. We will try to strengthen our team in the areas we can but honestly we could make a big difference just by changing the manager.
Let me give an example.
Chelsea last season go to Etihad stadium and City set a new record of passes made in the PL.
71% possession to 29%.
No shots on target for Chelsea.

5/6 months later the same team is now leading the PL in passes and playing a much proactive and attacking style of football without adding many players. Doesn't mean they can't strengthen because they are still suspect in some areas but still look at the difference in style.
We just a need a fresh approach and then we strengthen wherever we need to.

Fracture90

You think our first 11 matches Juve, Barcelona, Bayern, Real, City?
How many teams from the one's you've mentioned would swap their current manager to appoint Mourinho?

I can only think of Madrid if they sack Lopategui and that's a big if considering the fans don't like Mournho and some key influential players as well (Ramos etc).

Then ask yourself if Madrid still had Zidane would they replace him with Mourinho.

tomaldinho1

We need

RB - look how good cancelo was last night having at least one attacking fullback is vital to modern football.

CB - a trusted and experienced player, somebody that can partner Smalling.

DM - Matic is complete shit, need somebody faster and better on the ball.

CM - a box to box type player, Fred could do this yet he doesn’t get played for some reason.

RW - not had a proper one for years absolutely no threat from that side and teams know it.

2 ST (main and back up) - Lukaku is shit.

We need to sell loads first though but it’ll be hard getting rid of players.
RB defintely - I don't get why we don't just risk Dalot
CB - ironically I think this one of our least pressing concerns, our CBs are decent if not amazing but within a good system are ok for now.
DM - high priority, need some energy in there and someone who can protect the CBs. Basically not Matic.
CM - let's give Fred and chance and also Pereira - they are the type of players I think we need so might as well try them out.
RW - a no brainer and a higely frustrating area we never seem to address.
ST - most urgent. I would say Martial is our best CF and he's played there like twice. I'm not convinced Rashford is good enough, although he can still develop. Lukaku is not what we need.

Time we moved on a few as well Matic, Lukaku, Sanchez, Jones, Rojo, Fellaini for example and of course, Mourinho.