How much do we need to spend?

Mainoldo

£150m to the new manager. If that.

1 CB
1 RW
1 CM

Toby at the back for experience, a Pulisic Leon Bailey (Sterling - wouldn’t that be funny) for the right. Thiago is on a free Im sure.. perfect to help remove a Matic or Herrera on.

With a manager playing the right way we would have a team to challenge on all fronts.

Mainoldo

It's not how much we need to spend, it's who we need to spend it on. Look at Juve's team -- top class yet few of them cost much in today's terms (although I know Prem teams have to pay a premium because of the money in the game)
Would you really want Juve players to play the way you want us to play? They are so slow!!

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Would love Kieran Tierney to compete with Luke Shaw. Don't know how Shaw is getting away with it the whole time. He's still overweight and half the time looks like he's completely lost and doesn't understand the position he's playing. But then he goes and does something half decent going forward and his mistakes at the back are forgotten about. Look back through goals we've conceded, 70% come down his side.

Would love Declan Rice as a 6. Like Tierney, I think the squad needs players who every week will want to prove a point. Whether it's Brighton at home or City away, these guys will have the same mentality because they are still trying to make their career. Too many current United players are in a comfort zone and turn up and decide to run whenever it suits them.

Just a quote from Carricks book 'Sir Alex never told us how to play. We were his players. We were Manchester United players. For his team talks, he'd start nice and calm and could finish in a whirlwind of aggression. He'd finish by saying 'its the easiest thing in the world to work hard. Nothing stops you from working hard'. The three things he always mentioned were 'Don't be afraid to work hard. Concentration. Penetration'..'

I feel the concentration part is a huge issue for the likes of Shaw and Martial. Watch them the next time they're both on the left together, it's carnage when teams attack them.
Jose has some flaws but the players need to look at themselves too.
I agree, what comes across in Carrick's book is the drive that he and the other players in that squad had, led by the likes of Neville, Giggs and Scholes. I don't see it in this group, are they really that bothered if they lose a game?

I don't know who but Shaw needs some competition, he not good enough currently for where we want to be.

As a bare minimum we need a dominant centre back, a right winger and a playmaker CM/10. Realistically we also need a lb, rb, another cb, a dm. Some of them need to be experienced pros that can lead this group of players, they don't need to cost a fortune if we play the free transfer market right like the likes of Juventus do.

Next Summer we should have a DoF in place and we should go huge imo. Bringing in a manager that wants to play on the front foot and can work with a DoF should also be a high priority.

3 x World Class players (€250-€300m), 2 x upcoming stars (€60-80m).

We're in that position both Chelsea and City (and PSG for that matter) were in when playing catch up so rather than 1 big player per season, just go all out for one Summer and had a squad ready made to challenge.

WC CB Leader, WC CM (Kroos-esque/Veratti), WC Forward

cheeky_backheel

How much you spend depends on scouting and negotiating.

What can be more objectively listed are areas of need in the squad and that includes:

CB - experienced and leader
RB and LB - young and atheltic
DM - solid and mobile
CM/AM - creative
AM/WF/RM/LM - creative and capable of a moment of magic

These are think are the least that should be addressed to make the squad competitive. How much? Have no idea

flappyjay

How much you spend depends on scouting and negotiating.

What can be more objectively listed are areas of need in the squad and that includes:

CB - experienced and leader
RB and LB - young and atheltic
DM - solid and mobile
CM/AM - creative
AM/WF/RM/LM - creative and capable of a moment of magic

These are think are the least that should be addressed to make the squad competitive. How much? Have no idea
Don't Dalot and Shaw fit that criteria?

cheeky_backheel

Don't Dalot and Shaw fit that criteria?
Shaw has just shown glimpses of being a decent player while dalot is inexperienced - neither is at the level to be starting for a title contender. Maybe the develop into such in a few seasons but the club would then have to make do with mediocrity till then.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I think 4 players are desperately needed. We have little squad depth, and the new signings should be top class ones designed to relegate our current starters, not supplement them. Two new centre halves with Bailly, Lindelof and Smalling as backup. Sell Jones ans Rojo. Give Herrera more minutes, Matic as backup/rotation. New right winger, we've needed one since 2012 when Valencia declined in truth. How we've not addressed this hole is baffling. New striker because, well we all know why. I'd like to see Skriniar and Koulibaly, but that's into the hundreds of millions already. Even so, that's the level of investment required to bring this team up to standard.

------------De Gea-------------
Dalot--New CB--New CB-Shaw
------------Herrera-------------
------Fred------Pogba----------
New RW----------------Martial
-------------New CF-----------

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Does anyone truthfully believe we'll get a DOF? It's been spoken about for so long, and yet we're still waiting.
Javier Ribalta was brought in as the head scout and left after a year for Zenit because he got more responsibility there. He said that he wanted to push for Goertzka and Emre Can for free transfers to add to the midfield but those above him didn't listen.

Our scouts have been underperforming for several years for the 1st team, so I find it strange that we got in such a well respected guy like Ribalta and made him low down in the pecking order.

Who's to say that the big honchos don't undermine our director of football if we get one?

I think 4 players are desperately needed. We have little squad depth, and the new signings should be top class ones designed to relegate our current starters, not supplement them. Two new centre halves with Bailly, Lindelof and Smalling as backup. Sell Jones ans Rojo. Give Herrera more minutes, Matic as backup/rotation. New right winger, we've needed one since 2012 when Valencia declined in truth. How we've not addressed this hole is baffling. New striker because, well we all know why. I'd like to see Skriniar and Koulibaly, but that's into the hundreds of millions already. Even so, that's the level of investment required to bring this team up to standard.

------------De Gea-------------
Dalot--New CB--New CB-Shaw
------------Herrera-------------
------Fred------Pogba----------
New RW----------------Martial
-------------New CF-----------
That's being very generous to some players but let's go with that theme and add Sanchez up top.

De Gea
Dalot New CB New CB Shaw
Herrera
Fred Pogba
New RW Martial
Sanchez​

That then mean 3 players, all would need to be absolutely top drawer, and even then we're left hoping on a few of that starting 11. Skriniar, Koulibaly, Dembele would be a big Summer but would fix a load of problems and leave us with a very capable bench/squad.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Does anyone truthfully believe we'll get a DOF? It's been spoken about for so long, and yet we're still waiting.
Not really. Just guesswork from the press like they do for transfers and sackings. Woodward isn't going to give up any control.

Bestofthebest

Shaw has just shown glimpses of being a decent player while dalot is inexperienced - neither is at the level to be starting for a title contender. Maybe the develop into such in a few seasons but the club would then have to make do with mediocrity till then.
If that is the case then now is exactly the time to play them because we are not title contenders, nor looking like we will be any time soon. If your reply is that they should not be playing in a struggling side then when should they be allowed to play? When are they going to get that experience, in the reserves or being farmed out to a middle of the league side - like us? If you applied your logic then no young or inexperienced player would ever get a chance. As for mediocrity isn't that what we are making do with right now.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I am hoping that we bring in a manager who truly evaluate the squad and make good use of all resources given

GK: DDG must sign a new contract. Apart from that we don't need to buy anyone else - expenses (0)

DC: Smalling is decent while the rest are nothing more then backup players. Id say we bring in Milenkovic (60m?) and Toby (25m?). We keep Smalling. Promote Tuanzebe and sell the rest. Hopefully we can get 70m for Rojo, Bailly, Lindelof and Jones - expenses 15m-20m

DR: I'd say keep Valencia or Young for another year and give Dalot + TFM a run for their money. Milenkovic can easily slot as a RB if needed- expenses (0)

DL- Shaw is doing good but he needs backup/competition. We might persuade Celtic to sell Tierney for a decent price (25m?). Mitchell can act as cover. - expenses 25m

DM: Matic is already showing signs of wear and tear. So we need cover/competition for him. De Jong could do the trick for 60m.

Box 2 Box - Fred and Herrera should be kept. expenses (0)

AMC: Pogba and Pereira should be more then enough for the role. With Sanchez covering the no 10 role if we go for 4-2-3-1 expenses (0)

AML: Martial needs to sign a long term contract. Sanchez and Rashford are more then enough to act as cover/competition - expenses (0)

AMR: Thuavin has been explosive once again. I'd say get the guy and keep Lingard and Chong as cover -
expenses (60m)

STK: Lukaku is our first teamer but he needs cover/competition. If I was the manager I'd take a close look at Piatek whose currently rated 35m

Expenses - 200m

---------------------------------DDG------------------

Dalot-------Smalling/Milenkovic--------Toby----------Tierney/Shaw

------------------De Jong---------Fred/Herrera-------------------

-----------------------------Pogba-----------------------------------

Thuavin------------------------------------------------Martial/Sanchez

--------------------------Lukaku----------------------------------

cheeky_backheel

If that is the case then now is exactly the time to play them because we are not title contenders, nor looking like we will be any time soon. If your reply is that they should not be playing in a struggling side then when should they be allowed to play? When are they going to get that experience, in the reserves or being farmed out to a middle of the league side - like us? If you applied your logic then no young or inexperienced player would ever get a chance. As for mediocrity isn't that what we are making do with right now.
The choice is playing Shaw+Dalot vs Young+Valencia, and I would agree to play shaw ahead of young but would prefer we take it slow with dalot giving his age and relocation.

Even if both players develop to be starters by season end, we would still need quality backups so as not to revert to young/valencia with every suspension or injury

WensleyMU

That makes no sense at all. So in your mind, if MU sells De Gea, Pogba, Rashford and Martial for 400 euros and bring another 4 players for 450 euros they should be miles better because they spent 450 euros?? Makes no sense at all, of course net spending is way more important and relevant.
Yet if those players leave on free transfers or retire at United, then we go spend £450million... Then we've spent £450million and no consideration is made for the loss of 4 players prior to the spending.

Which is one of the many areas net spend falls flat.

Consider if United suddenly sold Pogba for £200million to Barcelona. There is no chance at all of the "he's spent £400million" brigade suddenly changing tact and going, "actually, for £200million he's not done bad, well done Jose"... Nor would I expect them to.

Kazi

One billion gagillion fafillion shabadabalo shabadamillion shabaling shabalomillion... yen.

rojo81

Supports
Juventus
Yet if those players leave on free transfers or retire at United, then we go spend £450million... Then we've spent £450million and no consideration is made for the loss of 4 players prior to the spending.

Which is one of the many areas net spend falls flat.

Consider if United suddenly sold Pogba for £200million to Barcelona. There is no chance at all of the "he's spent £400million" brigade suddenly changing tact and going, "actually, for £200million he's not done bad, well done Jose"... Nor would I expect them to.
Thats fair enough and its true, but thats normally not the case. Ff the player is retiring most likely he is old and doesnt have a market value and if he leaves on a free most of the times is because it is not that important to the club and thats why the club didnt push hard for a new contract. Besides, the post you were quoting mentioned specifically players that were sold by the other clubs.

meninred

We first need a new coach. The team should be built around pogba,rashford and martial.