How much has football changed in the last 20 years?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Something I've been wondering about recently in light of all the talk about Rangnick's influence on football, pressing systems, coaching standards, the increased prevalence of statistics in football and United being outdated in terms of approach.

How much do you think top level football has changed over the last 20 years? How much do you think it ever changes generally? Are the popular tactical systems of today demonstrably different from from those of the past in either approach or effect? Or is it the case (as I've seen suggested by some posters) that something like "pressing" is just a buzzword for things teams were doing decades ago anyway and there's nothing new about any of these supposedly modern ideas and approaches?

Also if we take SAF's time (which was nearly decade ago at this point), do you think the way top level football functions and is coached has actively evolved since then? Or (again as I've seen some suggest) would SAF be successful now doing exactly what he did in the past, because he didn't need these supposedly modern concepts and approaches then so there's no reason he'd need them now?

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I’m on my phone but short answer the game has changed massively, SAF would be fine.

I wrote a little recently about it in the Keane thread and when I’m home I’ll elaborate.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I think tactically you can draw a line between the time before and after the emergence of Pep and Klopp, they established well organized positional football and pressing as the standard for elite coaching and you could see especially in the days where their approaches were a novelty, that the old guard just couldn't compete with it outside of some individual games. They haven't invented the underlying ideas, but the cohesion with which they implemented them was way beyond what most other coaches aspired to do at the time.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Or (again as I've seen some suggest) would SAF be successful now doing exactly what he did in the past, because he didn't need these supposedly modern concepts and approaches then so there's no reason he'd need them now?
He would be successful, but he wouldn't do the same things, he would adapt to more modern concepts.

If you say "that's what he does, he adapts to everything thrown at him" then he would be successful doing the same thing, if you look at it that way.

Red Royal

The 4-4-2 that we based so much of our success died and was replaced with 4-3-3, 3-5-2 or some other formation to accomodate the high press. Inverted wingers became a thing over the last 20 years too.

ExoduS

A lot. Basically our encounters vs Barca in 2009 and 2011 were new vs old. We basically got dominated as we are now dominated by City, Chelsea and Liverpool.

I think we never adopted to the new style. We never were even close to it. The best we did was to have few counter attacking ideas against said teams when they were not in the top form.

Modern football requires cohesion + immense talent to be positionally aware + incredible stamina to sustain press and running into correct positions for 90 minutes.

Interesting thing is that when I watch old games, it seems that players were better and that football was better, but I think that is because defenses were nowhere near as they are now.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
He would be successful, but he wouldn't do the same things, he would adapt to more modern concepts.

If you say "that's what he does, he adapts to everything thrown at him" then he would be successful doing the same thing, if you look at it that way.
I think that depends on how you define successful. Pep, Klopp, Nagelsmann, Tuchel, they are as successful as they are, because they are consumed by certain ideals and will endlessly obsess over them all career long. I'm not sure that's something you can just catch up on.

KeanoMagicHat

It's more team-focused, coaching has never better. But I don't believe the talent is higher. Individualism has gone out of football and styles. Far less entertaining dribbles. Fewer random moments and long shots. Cruyff won out.

Personally I find it a question of taste. The manager is absolutely king in football now. The players don't matter half as much. Look at the Champions League final last year. Pep vs Tuchel. They had squads where if they swapped one player out for another, it wouldn't have really made any difference. I enjoy it from that perspective, wondering what tactical plan the other manager will come up with. It is front and centre of everything.

Whereas of course there were tactics 20 years ago, but I don't remember such an emphasis. Chelsea play Arsenal and it's not Wenger vs Vialli so much it's Bergkamp vs Zola. I miss that a little. The players are cogs in a system far more than before at the elite level.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
The big changes are in style and in the depth of preparation. On style, you can draw a clear dividing line from before and after 2008 in how teams use the ball. The value in keeping the ball and a shorter build-up has influenced the choice of just about every pass that is played in top level football. What Barcelona and Spain did has rippled through the entire game.

Preparation has developed more gradually over the course of the last two decades. Technology and extra resources have deepened the level of analysis and opposition scouting and has given managers a richer evidence base to make decisions upon. Ferguson would be absolutely fine as his gift was not only in managing his players to success, but managing backroom teams. Like any successful leader he would pull in experts and delegate responsibility in the same way he did during his own managerial career. He was also a master of reinventing teams and adapting to new environments. And to be frank the game is not that different in 2013 compared to now - the majority of the major tactical changes came in during 2008-2013 - and he was competing on the top stage at that point.

Reactions: Theonas

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I think that depends on how you define successful. Pep, Klopp, Nagelsmann, Tuchel, they are as successful as they are, because they are consumed by certain ideals and will endlessly obsess over them all career long. I'm not sure that's something you can just catch up on.
Well SAF was endlessly obsessed about winning so would have found a way again to keep doing just that.

Theonas

Scout
Sir Alex would not be successful doing what he did in the past. But the man was a genius so he would not do what he was doing in the past. Just like he did not do in the latter parts of the '00s what he was doing in the late '90s. His strength was adaptability and accepting new challenges, not copy pasting what worked one decade onto the other and blaming players for not carrying it as well the way his ex players seem to think.

Nothing changed except that everything has just become more micro. Everyone presses really, it's just a natural instinct. The difference is how organised and synchronized that pressing is in terms of your original standing position and the passing lanes you target. One bloke was doing it randomly at some point in time, the opponent came in and did it a bit more methodically, so the first bloke will have to keep up with the level of planning, anticipation and precision of their opponent. In football, like most other things, someone will come in and just raise the bar a bit in terms of technique, tactics, physicality, ... the rest will have to keep up.

If you forget about pressing and look at football as a marriage between structure and individual quality, the difference is usually how much one can cover for the other. In the '90s, especially in England, the game was more about duels. Full backs vs wingers, defenders vs strikers and midfielders being box to box and being trusted to use their nous to help each other and assist in every phase of the game. This was easier to do since most of your opponents in the PL at least up until Mourinho and Rafa, were doing the same thing. This is why you see our ex players from that era completely uninterested in talking about coaching and tactics. They played in a time where the main task was to win their duels and fix problems on their own on the pitch. The tactical input was not non existent but it was also fairly macro. A midfield of the quality of Scholes, Keane, Beckham and Giggs failed to impose their game on the best in Europe for a reason, and that reason was not lack of individual quality.

It is less and less 1 vs 1 nowadays. Defending is more zonal and about winning the ball back and where you win it back. Whereas it is more about keeping the ball for some teams. The point being that coaches are developing players with different skill sets that If football in the PL was 80/20 in favor of individual quality, it is closer to 60/40 or 50/50 now. The only team that managed to enjoy great success the past decade without the micro strict tactical approach is probably Real Madrid. Players have not gotten worse, It is simply natural that the huge developments in terms of football science and data analysis have led to individual quality and winning duels being less potent of a weapon than it used to be.

Sir Alex would have understood that and surrounded himself with people who can help him challenge the new wave of coaches. I remember reading him talking after the CL final in 2011 when he thought the future was Jones and Smalling because they could come out faster and defend high to deal with the threat of teams like Barcelona and what was to come. Obviously the names he pointed have not lived up to expectations but it shows you the great man already understood that you can't just have a "proper" defender to win you the big trophies. This is similar to how he recognized that a new Keane would not be the answer for the PL in the late '00s and that playing with two strikers up front relying on crosses was also a far less potent weapon than it was 10 years previous. So in short, it didn't change if you mean people are doing completely different things now. But it did change in terms of that a lot of things being done today are more refined and precise and how could they not be when you have ten times the number of people working for a football club who are armed with an arsenal of data and technologies to gain an advantage?

Reactions: Cheimoon

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Something I've been wondering about recently in light of all the talk about Rangnick's influence on football, pressing systems, coaching standards, the increased prevalence of statistics in football and United being outdated in terms of approach.

How much do you think top level football has changed over the last 20 years? How much do you think it ever changes generally? Are the popular tactical systems of today demonstrably different from from those of the past in either approach or effect? Or is it the case (as I've seen suggested by some posters) that something like "pressing" is just a buzzword for things teams were doing decades ago anyway and there's nothing new about any of these supposedly modern ideas and approaches?

Also if we take SAF's time (which was nearly decade ago at this point), do you think the way top level football functions and is coached has actively evolved since then? Or (again as I've seen some suggest) would SAF be successful now doing exactly what he did in the past, because he didn't need these supposedly modern concepts and approaches then so there's no reason he'd need them now?
Pretty much everything has changed in the last 2 decades, football included.
And lots may complain about the game being dominated by money. But twas ever thus.

The skills level has improved. Nowadays, whatever position they play, they are very comfortable on the ball.
But for me, the thing I dislike is the almost religious belief in playing out from the back. Especially when against high pressing teams.
And player ego is another trend that is affecting the game.

But overall, the game has definitely improved by a fair degree.

KeanoMagicHat

If you forget about pressing and look at football as a marriage between structure and individual quality, the difference is usually how much one can cover for the other. In the '90s, especially in England, the game was more about duels. Full backs vs wingers, defenders vs strikers and midfielders being box to box and being trusted to use their nous to help each other and assist in every phase of the game. This was easier to do since most of your opponents in the PL at least up until Mourinho and Rafa, were doing the same thing. This is why you see our ex players from that era completely uninterested in talking about coaching and tactics. They played in a time where the main task was to win their duels and fix problems on their own on the pitch. The tactical input was not non existent but it was also fairly macro. A midfield of the quality of Scholes, Keane, Beckham Giggs failed to impose their game on the best in Europe for a reason, and that reason was not lack of individual quality.
Good post, very true and I find that less interesting in a way, far less spontaneous. Like there's something endearing about watching a 1-on-1 duel and you see some players today really struggle outside a certain system, or when a game gets ragged they become completely lost. Because they've been trained to be almost robotic in a game going a certain way and can't handle it at all when it goes strangely. Look at all the weird results in big tournaments for example, I feel we've seen way more 4-5+ goal thrashings in the past 10 years with teams that just collapse once something goes against their plan.

Oldyella

The game feels a lot more sterile now. (To me at least) with less passion, maybe a result of the reduction in contact. I cringe seeing how players react to the slightest touch these days.

As for Fergie he would be fine, he came to us in 86 and was still winning trophies in 2013, the game changed a lot over that period too.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Well SAF was endlessly obsessed about winning so would have found a way again to keep doing just that.
Correct.
Sir Alex Ferguson was driven to succeed. That was an almost unique quality he had.
Winning was and still is everything. And it consumed him and drove him on to continually innovate.
So I don't agree with those who say that he would not have been successful now.
It may be somewhat more difficult. But his passion and drive to be successful would have meant that he would have found a way to make United the best.

Theonas

Scout
Good post, very true and I find that less interesting in a way, far less spontaneous. Like there's something endearing about watching a 1-on-1 duel and you see some players today really struggle outside a certain system, or when a game gets ragged they become completely lost. Because they've been trained to be almost robotic in a game going a certain way and can't handle it at all when it goes strangely. Look at all the weird results in big tournaments for example, I feel we've seen way more 4-5+ goal thrashings in the past 10 years with teams that just collapse once something goes against their plan.
Fair point and yes I think it makes sense. I see the argument that it was more entertaining, I am not sure to be honest because I enjoyed the late '90s and early '00s more but that could be just because it was my first memories and you can't beat that first memory so I've no idea if it's just nostalgia. What I know is there is something to admire about both. There is something beautiful about the mavericks and personalities of the time like Cantona, Zola and Keane. The fact that we knew less about them at the time because of social media makes them also a bit more attractive personalities, it gives them more character. But I'd also say there is something beautiful nowadays when you see teams move like a symphony, the level of precision and technique brings a different dimension and flair. What one prefers is subjective, what is not subjective is if you want to win, you have to adapt and accept that your opponents have raised the bar instead of harping on about how we used to do it when the make up and wealth of our opponents was nowhere near what it is today.

Keownisacnut

Supports
Glazers out!
There has always been money in football, but in the last 20 years its gone crazy and is taking the game away from us.

The biggest changes are off the pitch, with oligarchs and sovereign wealth funds pouring money into the top teams/leagues, that is now where the power lies. A European super league has been talked-about for more than 20 years, I think that is now inevitable. Its Win/win for CEO's like Woody or sheikh Mansour, it will help cement the 'nouveau riche' (City,PSG) as elite clubs and extra revenue allows the 'old money' clubs like us to compete with oil rich nation states.
Please don't think I am advocating for it, I'm not, I am against it, along with our owners business model, Chelsea's Russian connections and Newcastle's sportswashing owners. Football feels different now.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
This is a really basic overview on how I think the game looks different, and some of the different demands of the players

It's definitely changed quite a bit, you mentioned the passing between keepers and defenders, and this has definitely led to an increase in the technical capabilities of the backline. The role of the fullback has evolved massive over that time frame, and your CBs in the top flight have to be fairly competent on the ball, especially with so many teams employing a press, and also the requirement of playing it out from the back being such an integral part of many teams approach. This isn't to say these players didn't exist a couple of decades ago, of course they did, but it wasn't as ubiquitous as it is now.

One of the big changes is the speed of the game. It's far faster than it was back then, players make double the high intensity runs that they did a couple decades ago, while covering a lot more ground on average. This is both down to tactical shifts, and the more holistic approach to training that has led to fitter players on average. The game being quicker makes it harder, and this is coupled with the fact that the ball spends a lot more time on the ground than it did back then, with teams making a lot more passes than they did back then. Like the backline this isn't to say there weren't plenty of players back then capable of hitting the same heights in today's football, just that it's a very different game that required different strengths and approaches. A number 9 from today might struggle back then due to a lack of aerial prowess, and a number 9 could struggle today if they had a lack of link up play. Whereas you'd get some players who'd fit in perfectly in both eras, like a Keane.

You don't even need to go back to the 90s, watching a game from the mid 2000s and watching one from today it's amazing how apparent the differences are, you don't really notice them as the season progress and incremental changes are made, but it's staggering how different the football looks.
And another bit about the changes

I know what you mean, but while they're different facets of the game they do impact each other massively. Technical football becomes harder when the speed of the game is increased, everything from your first touch, distribution, dribbling is made significantly harder.

https://sciencenordic.com/denmark-f...sts-football-has-changed-dramatically/1440511

That's only from a comparison from the mid noughties, but it shows they way football has moved to in the PL.

Of course there will be plenty of players from bygone eras who played in similar roles, but it's less about individuals and more about evaluating the league as a whole. If you look back to the year you mentioned, the vast majority of sides in the country played with out and out wingers. Whereas in today's football most sides rely on their fullbacks to provide the width, as true wingers are much more of a rarity these days. Managers often opt for inside forwards and players who can play in the half spaces, and this has led to fullbacks becoming much more involved in the attacking side of the game as they've had to take on the responsibility of wingers.

Attacking fullbacks has always been a thing in football, and there was a resurgence of them when Roberto Carlos and Cafu became household names. There are plenty of individuals who functioned as important cogs of the attack, but if you look at the league as a whole it was far less common than it is today.

Gary Neville wrote a great piece last year explaining how the role has changed. It's well worth a read.
https://www.skysports.com/football/...neville-how-full-backs-have-evolved-over-time

It's hard to compare between eras as the style of football was so different. I don't necessarily disagree with the evaluations you've made here, but the demands are very different. Martial is very technically gifted, and Pogba is wonderfully talented when it comes to technique, this doesn't necessarily translate to winning things though. The argument you're making isn't really a fair one, it would be like me saying if technique was so great back then how come United kept winning with Nicky Butt in midfield? He was a fine player but doesn't match up to Pogba technically, but it would be incorrect of me to use this as an assertion to evaluate an entire league's standard of football.

Someone like Cantona could play in any era, but it's about how football has changed in the league rather than individuals. A world class player will be world class in any era.

My reply to the argument that there is nothing different would be this from another thread

" Everything in football is recycled, I've spoken about how pressing has become such a ubiquitous part of the PL but we had Rinus Michels brilliant Dutch side employing a high octane press in 1974 with a high line, Arrigo Sacchi's Milan was heavily inspired by Michels, but applied their own pressing system involving zonal marking and greater compactness. These systems have heavily inspired modern football and we can see their essence in Guardiola's Barcelona and the sides that came afterwards, where he built his own style from the blueprints of his predecessors, using his 6 second rule to regain control of the ball and then relying on the compact shape to stop counters if unsuccessful. Klopp's spin was to instead of relying on the press as a strategy to stop counters, or regain control of the ball, was to use it as an offensive strategy in order to create chances during the transitional period before the opponents can regain shape.

Every era of football is different, and heavily recycled, with approaches that may have gone out of fashion being once again reintroduced, or a manager puts his own innovative spin on one of the classics. Every period has it's own strengths and unique style, so when I say the technical standard in the PL player for player is better now than it was in the 90s, it's not as a derogatory remark but an acknowledgement of how the game has changed"

It has changed, but it was also changing massively during his time too. He would have no problem (age not withstanding). Others have mentioned his ability to adapt and they're spot on. It doesn't sound much but it conveys so much. Adapting isn't just looking at what everyone else is doing, it's the ability to understand these trends, the effect they have on the game, how they could be applied, how they could be negated, what would be needed to implement them, what qualities would be needed in his individual footballers, how it could be amended, and honestly so much more. He was an absolute genius at this, coupled with his ability to find exactly the right personnel he needed to accomplish this, both on and off the pitch, and his innate ability at getting everyone else to sing to his tune he would absolutely rise to the challenge.

He wouldn't be successful now doing exactly what he did in the past, but he would adapt to the point where he could. You could send Ferguson 100 years into the future and if you gave him a couple of years he'd be challenging.

On a slightly separate topic, I think the changes through those 20 years interesting, speaking solely about tactical changes through the PL period, there's been many shifts even if we're using your 20 year period net. This is why I'll be ignoring shifts in the 90s such as the back pass rule and the effect that had, as well as some of Ferguson's early methods and the effects that had, while just looking at the biggest shifts imo. Wenger's football had a big impact, a lot gets talked about off the pitch stuff but the way in which individuals were used were pretty interesting. Pires was nominally a winger, but the usual set up was a winger featuring on the flank in they had their strongest foot. Pires was an inverted winger before it was super common, who featured on the left while cutting in to using his right. Allowing him to become more of a consistent goal threat than many of his peers, and also vacating space for Henry and a bombarding Ashley Cole. Wenger did a lot of interesting stuff with his side for the time, and while not as holistic an approach as the shifts to come, it was definitely an influential tactical shift.

Mourinho came in with the Mourinho 4-3-3 and changed the game massively. Sounds so simple but it really did have a massive influence. Other games had tinkered with one striker, or in the case of Fergie and Wenger having a partnership in which one of the strikers often functioned as a de facto cam. His use of Makelele allowed his other midfielders more freedom, and the numerical advantages his shape was massively beneficial in all facets of the game, allowing them to score at a good rate and helped them with their incredible defensive record.

Steve Bruce Conte. Three at the back wasn't unheard of in the PL, I've seen a few different sides in the 90s employing it, Van Gaal I think used it on occasion, and Bruce used it at Hull fairly often. But I'd give the credit to Conte for making this formation mainstream and using it consistently. When traditional wingers were very out of fashion, this formation allowed for the classic use of wingers that hugged the touchline. A player in the wrong era like Moses being given a second lease at life as a wingback. It allows for combinations in wide areas, while not vacating central areas. It's useful for stopping being caught out in transitional moments as the two central midfielders (Kante and Matic initially) are given freedom to negate this while being covered. the wingbacks allow freedom for the inside forwards (such as Hazard and Pedro) to move around the pitch to find space and offer passing opportunities. It also helps in bypassing oppositional pressing which had come into fashion by this point. The formation was often derided as a formation that was used to help mask defensive vulnerabilities, but Conte's was much more than that.

Klopp,Guardiola. We all know what they've brought to the PL. Pep wasn't the first Cruyff acolyte in English/Welsh football though.

Martinez, 33, February 2007. Revolutionised not only Swansea, not only British football, but the entire world. Guardiola often cites Swansea as his biggest example in football, and the club has (sometimes) focused on managers with a similar ethos, Rodgers (at the time), Laudrup , Potter, my boy Martin.

Reactions: Cheimoon

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
This is a really basic overview on how I think the game looks different, and some of the different demands of the players

And another bit about the changes

My reply to the argument that there is nothing different would be this from another thread

" Everything in football is recycled, I've spoken about how pressing has become such a ubiquitous part of the PL but we had Rinus Michels brilliant Dutch side employing a high octane press in 1974 with a high line, Arrigo Sacchi's Milan was heavily inspired by Michels, but applied their own pressing system involving zonal marking and greater compactness. These systems have heavily inspired modern football and we can see their essence in Guardiola's Barcelona and the sides that came afterwards, where he built his own style from the blueprints of his predecessors, using his 6 second rule to regain control of the ball and then relying on the compact shape to stop counters if unsuccessful. Klopp's spin was to instead of relying on the press as a strategy to stop counters, or regain control of the ball, was to use it as an offensive strategy in order to create chances during the transitional period before the opponents can regain shape.

Every era of football is different, and heavily recycled, with approaches that may have gone out of fashion being once again reintroduced, or a manager puts his own innovative spin on one of the classics. Every period has it's own strengths and unique style, so when I say the technical standard in the PL player for player is better now than it was in the 90s, it's not as a derogatory remark but an acknowledgement of how the game has changed"

It has changed, but it was also changing massively during his time too. He would have no problem (age not withstanding). Others have mentioned his ability to adapt and they're spot on. It doesn't sound much but it conveys so much. Adapting isn't just looking at what everyone else is doing, it's the ability to understand these trends, the effect they have on the game, how they could be applied, how they could be negated, what would be needed to implement them, what qualities would be needed in his individual footballers, how it could be amended, and honestly so much more. He was an absolute genius at this, coupled with his ability to find exactly the right personnel he needed to accomplish this, both on and off the pitch, and his innate ability at getting everyone else to sing to his tune he would absolutely rise to the challenge.

He wouldn't be successful now doing exactly what he did in the past, but he would adapt to the point where he could. You could send Ferguson 100 years into the future and if you gave him a couple of years he'd be challenging.

On a slightly separate topic, I think the changes through those 20 years interesting, speaking solely about tactical changes through the PL period, there's been many shifts even if we're using your 20 year period net. This is why I'll be ignoring shifts in the 90s such as the back pass rule and the effect that had, as well as some of Ferguson's early methods and the effects that had, while just looking at the biggest shifts imo. Wenger's football had a big impact, a lot gets talked about off the pitch stuff but the way in which individuals were used were pretty interesting. Pires was nominally a winger, but the usual set up was a winger featuring on the flank in they had their strongest foot. Pires was an inverted winger before it was super common, who featured on the left while cutting in to using his right. Allowing him to become more of a consistent goal threat than many of his peers, and also vacating space for Henry and a bombarding Ashley Cole. Wenger did a lot of interesting stuff with his side for the time, and while not as holistic an approach as the shifts to come, it was definitely an influential tactical shift.

Mourinho came in with the Mourinho 4-3-3 and changed the game massively. Sounds so simple but it really did have a massive influence. Other games had tinkered with one striker, or in the case of Fergie and Wenger having a partnership in which one of the strikers often functioned as a de facto cam. His use of Makelele allowed his other midfielders more freedom, and the numerical advantages his shape was massively beneficial in all facets of the game, allowing them to score at a good rate and helped them with their incredible defensive record.

Steve Bruce Conte. Three at the back wasn't unheard of in the PL, I've seen a few different sides in the 90s employing it, Van Gaal I think used it on occasion, and Bruce used it at Hull fairly often. But I'd give the credit to Conte for making this formation mainstream and using it consistently. When traditional wingers were very out of fashion, this formation allowed for the classic use of wingers that hugged the touchline. A player in the wrong era like Moses being given a second lease at life as a wingback. It allows for combinations in wide areas, while not vacating central areas. It's useful for stopping being caught out in transitional moments as the two central midfielders (Kante and Matic initially) are given freedom to negate this while being covered. the wingbacks allow freedom for the inside forwards (such as Hazard and Pedro) to move around the pitch to find space and offer passing opportunities. It also helps in bypassing oppositional pressing which had come into fashion by this point. The formation was often derided as a formation that was used to help mask defensive vulnerabilities, but Conte's was much more than that.

Klopp,Guardiola. We all know what they've brought to the PL. Pep wasn't the first Cruyff acolyte in English/Welsh football though.

Martinez, 33, February 2007. Revolutionised not only Swansea, not only British football, but the entire world. Guardiola often cites Swansea as his biggest example in football, and the club has (sometimes) focused on managers with a similar ethos, Rodgers (at the time), Laudrup , Potter, my boy Martin.
Pretty much agree with all of that, good stuff.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Sports science has kicked things on a lot

I think tactically the fitness simply wasnt there in a lot of players 20 years ago to play like people do now

But read something like inverting the pyramid and you will see that football has always evolved tactically so perhaps that evolution has accelerated a bit but thats all

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC
It's become more of a business rather than a sport. Fans are no longer the heart and soul of the club; they are now simply just customers, and not valued customers either.

Many fans can't afford the various subscriptions required to watch and follow their clubs nevermind the prices of going to matches or for merchandise. No longer the working mans game, just a rich boys playground.

I'm still a big United fan and watch most games and keep a keen interest but I defo don't have the same love as I used to growing up.

Alot of people on these forums and other Premier League fans look down on non league football due to the standard of football (which is still much better than 99% people could manage). But I still regularly follow my local football team and the difference between them and United is a sense of belonging and feeling part of a club, and feeling appreciate and valued.

I've got alot of time for the Bundesliga because at least fans still have a big say and voice. The PL though is an example of everything which is wrong with todays society.

largelyworried

I watched this game a while back, thinking about how football had changed since 2003, one of a handful of full 90s from the era.

This was between the two best teams in the league that season and the two most "continental" teams in the league (a phrase you don't hear so much now). It always sticks in my head as a heavyweight clash of the time.

Watching it really is like another era. The game feels unstructured and loose. Passing is looser and slower, the team shapes are less defined. Patterns of play don't go much beyond one-twos. Players fly into slide into tackles a lot. The amount of time the ball spends in the air is quite weird. While Arsenal dominate possession in the second half, its more akin to keeping the ball away from Chelsea rather than exerting pressure.

Its like listening to people talk from the past, its hard to put your finger on what's different, but the overall change is quite pronounced.

Reactions: Theonas

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
The big changes are in style and in the depth of preparation. On style, you can draw a clear dividing line from before and after 2008 in how teams use the ball. The value in keeping the ball and a shorter build-up has influenced the choice of just about every pass that is played in top level football. What Barcelona and Spain did has rippled through the entire game.

Preparation has developed more gradually over the course of the last two decades. Technology and extra resources have deepened the level of analysis and opposition scouting and has given managers a richer evidence base to make decisions upon. Ferguson would be absolutely fine as his gift was not only in managing his players to success, but managing backroom teams. Like any successful leader he would pull in experts and delegate responsibility in the same way he did during his own managerial career. He was also a master of reinventing teams and adapting to new environments. And to be frank the game is not that different in 2013 compared to now - the majority of the major tactical changes came in during 2008-2013 - and he was competing on the top stage at that point.
You're absoutely right.

Zen86

In terms of the game itself, has it changed more than any other 20 year period? I’d imagine you’d find similar jumps from the 1930s to the 1950s, the 70s to the 90s and so on. In another 20 years time the game will be very different again.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I think the last five years especially the game changed much more than most people realized. Analytics has already changed the game quite a bit. I think that is most obvious when we look at the average distance and positioning of shots. I also believe we're in for quite a few more changes in the next few years.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I think it's changed hugely in just 5 years.

Back in 2016 most full backs (at least in prem) were seen as steady eddies and defend well and just get forward and get in a hopeful cross types. With Guardiola coming in look at how it's been revolutionized in that area considering he inherited some good ones in Zabaleta, Sagna and Clichy.

Wan-Bissaka would've been fine in that era but now gets loads of stick on here for his ability once he crosses the halfway line.

Another big shift is how rare a goal kick now is taken by a keeper simply booting the ball up to halfway line. Majority are short passes now to edge of the box for defender to take it.

Part tactics and with rising studies on impact of heading the ball possibly causing dementia in later life that's one trend that won't be changing anytime soon.

In last few months aswell who'd have thought a female ref would've taken charge of an England match and hardly anyone would've been bothered?

And VAR being part of pretty much every game now of course so lots going on since 2016.

Edit: Also xG becoming a huge part of football tactics and analysis although personally can't stand it used as a metric so it can do one. :lol:

MasterCode

It's simple, INITIATIVE no longer exists. I was having this convo with a mate we agreed initiative is gone from players, system players is a cover word for "one dimensional players".
Jose as much as I didn't like him when he said players and coaches hide behind terms like "philosophy" to avoid the awkward conversation of not winning. Jose is right, modern players no longer need to be coached just how to do it, they also need to know when to do it.

There's a video on YouTube called "beautiful passing by Brazil" its from 2006 VS Argentina. If you watch it they are doing a lot of the things instinctively that we now attribute to "systems" keeper playing with his feet, overloading and then switching play etc. None of those players there were "system players" they were just good players. That knew how and when to play football.

There's another video Brazil VS New Zealand where you quite literally see Roberto Carlos switch the ball in the final third on the break to Cafu who has a shot on goal. It was instinctive good players knowing how and what to do. It no longer exists. So systems cover for inadequate players.

I can put it like this as a man in my mid 30s when I was young and I watched professional football. I honestly felt the players doing what they were doing had magic in their boots. I honestly believe if I was a young boy again - watching these modern footballers, I would have a real real shot at serious pro ball.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
It's more team-focused, coaching has never better. But I don't believe the talent is higher. Individualism has gone out of football and styles. Far less entertaining dribbles. Fewer random moments and long shots. Cruyff won out.

Personally I find it a question of taste. The manager is absolutely king in football now. The players don't matter half as much. Look at the Champions League final last year. Pep vs Tuchel. They had squads where if they swapped one player out for another, it wouldn't have really made any difference. I enjoy it from that perspective, wondering what tactical plan the other manager will come up with. It is front and centre of everything.

Whereas of course there were tactics 20 years ago, but I don't remember such an emphasis. Chelsea play Arsenal and it's not Wenger vs Vialli so much it's Bergkamp vs Zola. I miss that a little. The players are cogs in a system far more than before at the elite level.
Very well said.

Football today is very robotic and all the most successful managers are essentially dictators. They might differ in their tactical ideas but they implement very rigid systems and players are required to do exactly what they're told with and without the ball in a way that would have been completely alien 20 years ago.

It's a little different in the final third because you need creativity and quality to unlock a defense but even in that zone the patterns of play are more pronounced than in the past.

The other big change is just a higher level of physical intensity and running in all aspects of the game.

Personally, as a spectator I preferred football of the past, with more individual flair and spontaneity and just a generally more unpredictable flow within the match. But I don't see it going back. These more rigidly drilled but very high intensity systems are just too effective on the pitch, both for the top teams and for lesser teams that are able to punch above their weight by doing it well.

alexthelion

Put simply, and imo, football has gone from a clash of players to a clash of manager tactics and, again imo, is a lot worse off for it. I much prefer watching games from late 90s/early 00s than I do nowadays.

Theonas

Scout

Very well said. I never thought of it from that perspective but it's true. People barely remembered who even managed Barcelona, Real or the Italian clubs in those years and if they do, the success was by no means as associated with the manager as it is today. I think in England, the culture of manager was fairly strong but not as a tactical mastermind, more of an inspirational leader/messiah from Busby, Shankly, Paisley, Clough, Sir Alex and Wenger. There was barely any coverage on how this one will outsmart the other, it was all about the duels on the pitch.

tomaldinho1

20 years ago I remember having to ask my parents permission to plug in the internet as it stopped calls into my home phone. When you think of how different the world around us is now Football isn’t actually that different - there’ll always be new tactics, better fitness and conditioning and in the PL the game really hasn’t been professional (as in actually professional in that players don’t just go out boozing) that long comparatively.

Biggest difference if you assessed the whole sport is probably in ticket prices.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Biggest change is how they set up the wall to defend freekick. We now have a body laying on the floor for every freekicks. This isn’t a case at all for any years prior to recent years.

MattJ166

Very well said.

Football today is very robotic and all the most successful managers are essentially dictators. They might differ in their tactical ideas but they implement very rigid systems and players are required to do exactly what they're told with and without the ball in a way that would have been completely alien 20 years ago.

It's a little different in the final third because you need creativity and quality to unlock a defense but even in that zone the patterns of play are more pronounced than in the past.

The other big change is just a higher level of physical intensity and running in all aspects of the game.

Personally, as a spectator I preferred football of the past, with more individual flair and spontaneity and just a generally more unpredictable flow within the match. But I don't see it going back. These more rigidly drilled but very high intensity systems are just too effective on the pitch, both for the top teams and for lesser teams that are able to punch above their weight by doing it well.
It's Ironic that maybe if Ole was a manger in the 90's / 00's he might have had a lot more success than he has during this era with his man management heavy approach and seemingly lack of tactical nous.

I also preferred the football of the past, i feel it had that something extra and a player like Ronaldinho could never exist now.
The closest one we have - Neymar, is routinely criticised for showboating and sometimes even booked for it so much so that he's cut a lot of it out of his game. The need for efficiency has killed the magic. Or I might just be looking back with nostalgic glasses as I was a teenager during the mid 00's and absolutely obsessed with football.

darioterios

Sir Alex would not be successful doing what he did in the past. But the man was a genius so he would not do what he was doing in the past. Just like he did not do in the latter parts of the '00s what he was doing in the late '90s. His strength was adaptability and accepting new challenges, not copy pasting what worked one decade onto the other and blaming players for not carrying it as well the way his ex players seem to think.

Nothing changed except that everything has just become more micro. Everyone presses really, it's just a natural instinct. The difference is how organised and synchronized that pressing is in terms of your original standing position and the passing lanes you target. One bloke was doing it randomly at some point in time, the opponent came in and did it a bit more methodically, so the first bloke will have to keep up with the level of planning, anticipation and precision of their opponent. In football, like most other things, someone will come in and just raise the bar a bit in terms of technique, tactics, physicality, ... the rest will have to keep up.

If you forget about pressing and look at football as a marriage between structure and individual quality, the difference is usually how much one can cover for the other. In the '90s, especially in England, the game was more about duels. Full backs vs wingers, defenders vs strikers and midfielders being box to box and being trusted to use their nous to help each other and assist in every phase of the game. This was easier to do since most of your opponents in the PL at least up until Mourinho and Rafa, were doing the same thing. This is why you see our ex players from that era completely uninterested in talking about coaching and tactics. They played in a time where the main task was to win their duels and fix problems on their own on the pitch. The tactical input was not non existent but it was also fairly macro. A midfield of the quality of Scholes, Keane, Beckham and Giggs failed to impose their game on the best in Europe for a reason, and that reason was not lack of individual quality.

It is less and less 1 vs 1 nowadays. Defending is more zonal and about winning the ball back and where you win it back. Whereas it is more about keeping the ball for some teams. The point being that coaches are developing players with different skill sets that If football in the PL was 80/20 in favor of individual quality, it is closer to 60/40 or 50/50 now. The only team that managed to enjoy great success the past decade without the micro strict tactical approach is probably Real Madrid. Players have not gotten worse, It is simply natural that the huge developments in terms of football science and data analysis have led to individual quality and winning duels being less potent of a weapon than it used to be.

Sir Alex would have understood that and surrounded himself with people who can help him challenge the new wave of coaches. I remember reading him talking after the CL final in 2011 when he thought the future was Jones and Smalling because they could come out faster and defend high to deal with the threat of teams like Barcelona and what was to come. Obviously the names he pointed have not lived up to expectations but it shows you the great man already understood that you can't just have a "proper" defender to win you the big trophies. This is similar to how he recognized that a new Keane would not be the answer for the PL in the late '00s and that playing with two strikers up front relying on crosses was also a far less potent weapon than it was 10 years previous. So in short, it didn't change if you mean people are doing completely different things now. But it did change in terms of that a lot of things being done today are more refined and precise and how could they not be when you have ten times the number of people working for a football club who are armed with an arsenal of data and technologies to gain an advantage?
I was watching this and then saw your post

Theonas

Scout
I was watching this and then saw your post

Cheers! Organisation and structure have always been there to nullify and tame unpredictability. It's a natural human instinct. I don't think it necessarily means that we won't see unpredictable players anymore and that the game will become robotic. I think it is a constant push and pull and the bar will just be raised higher.

Green_Red

It's all bollox. Every generation thinks they do it better than the last, in every walk of life.