How much will we spend this Summer?

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Simple question. Net, gross, whatever. Do you think the Glazers will sanction a fairly busy/expensive summer, or will they be content to have another year with relatively little change?

For my part, I am cautiously optimistic that we may see a few big signings, for these reasons;
  • The anti-Glazer sentiment and protests have started kicking off again. Whilst it would be naive to think that the Glazers' massively care about this, I dont think it is unreasonable to suggest that it may motivate them to splash the cash a little in order to quell some of the unrest for another few years.
  • Murtough has taken over from Woodward. There is plenty of skepticism around this and rightly so. Either way, I dont think the Glazers will want to set him up to fail right from the start. They will want to back their new DoF, if for no other reason than getting the fans on-side with the new management/DoF.
  • We didnt spend a lot last year, and the COVID situation is starting to subside. Our huge commercial revenue has been a big help over the last 12 months, and we find ourselves in a position where not many clubs globally can afford to spend big. This is likely to drive down prices, making this year a good opportunity to find some value in the market, which will surely appeal to the Glazers.

I think our net spend will be comfortable in excess of £100m, and more like the £150m mark, although exactly what this means in terms of players I dont know.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
23m net spend.

Pursue Kane, Sancho and some hot young centre mid/defender.

Actually get Ings for 43million after a long pursuit, and sell a couple of players to get 20m in.

dove

£70m net. Jones coming back from injury (:lol:) and the return of Lingard will feel like 2 new signings.

Polar

Our net spend will be <£100m. Likely between £70-90m

Paul778

50-70m net. As long as we get 2 good upgrades in starting positions (out of CB/CDM/RW) and I'm happy. Lets not dick about with potential. We have all the U23s for that

Dong Fangzhuo

70-100m net. One big signing + 2 budget signings. Not expecting to recoup much from outgoings, we never do.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I would say around £60m net spent.

Sancho = £45m + Dean
Trippier = £10m
Heaton = Free
CB = £50m-£60m max

Selling: Lingard & James = 50m total. Probably an additional 5m from all the loans' fees.
Getting rid Mata & Lingard should open for Sancho's wages. Romero, James, and players going out on loan should be enough for Trippier & new CB wages.

OrcaFat

50m net. If that.

Likely more will be available but we won’t be able to get the players we really want at a price we’re willing to pay.

Have a hunch we’ll end up buying a RB and a CB.

jesperjaap

The net spend estimation isnt so telling. We can have a net spend of £130m and only buy one player or a net spend of £40m and sign six players.

The bare minimum we should be signing is 3 players this summer - cb, cm, rw - Ideally another cm and cf

Doing the bare minimum even with just one of them being marquee and the others quality but cheaper signings is going to be a £120-140m spend, signings all five we would be talking £200-300m

I think the deadwood clearing may raise up to £50-60m

For me, the only way this summer is a great window rather than a good one, is if there is/are a majoy outgoing or two, someone from:

DeGea - Want him to stay now as the number one, Henderson hasnt taken his chance and needs more time
Bailly - Well he has just signed a new contract, should have been out the door without doubt for me, and I like him too
Fred - Talk about how much he has improved, true....yet his all round game still isnt good enough, certainly not as a starting eleven player
James - Really isnt good enough...and there are a lot of youngsters comign through, expendible
VDB - I am all for squad depth, but does he give that to us, you still need to perform? Wasnt excited about signing in the first place
Pogba - The split divisions on here dont need to go into....but £4-500k a week new contract, he simply isnt worthy of
Martial - Cost up to £57m, less than a goal every 3 games, only one consistent season in six seasons here, again split divisions on him

£200-250m worth of players there. Obviously not suggesting to sell them all. But I think he failure this summer will be that we dont sell any, unless its DeGea who would be the player I would least sell now as not convinced of Henderson yet.
The rest of them, there are good arguments for them not starting and the money from a sale would pretty much buy another player, with us neededing 3-5, this is the only way I see it happening and I dont think we will sell one. I mean, for me:

Bailly - ALmost buys a Romagnoli or Romero
Fred - Buys Kamara or Zakaria pretty much
James - Buys Ronaldo
VDB - Well add him to a Lingard sale and that pretty much buys Camavinga
Pogba - Pretty much buys Sancho
Martial - Pretty much buys Vlahovic

Obviously we have to secure the signings, but for me, definately a few of those I would rather have the shiny new player if I am being honest. Only Pogba and Martial are we actually losing any quality from our side in my opinion

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Net: 90m
Gross: 160m

jamesjimmybyrondean

Our prioritiy is a 78m Sancho and a CB that's around 40-58m based on the links. That's at most 138m. Given we also want a cheap RB I'd put our netspend at 100m realistically.

Diabovermelho

If the reports are true, then Sancho will be our first signing, and will cost around £75-80m, and that will be our net spend. Next, we'll try to sell some players, my guess would be players loaned out this season: Lingard, Dalot, Pereira and Chong. Also, with Sancho, we can sell Dan James as well. So, around £65-70m for those 5 players. We can use this money to bring a CB for £45-50m, and Trippier for £15m. Any additional outgoings will be bonus, like Tuanzebe, Matic etc..

If we actually sell Matic, then we must bring a new DM, but it'll probably be on a budget.

kundalini

Gross £110m. Net £65m

I think it will be very difficult to sell players this summer, unless for heavily discounted prices. Meanwhile, clubs will want huge fees for top talent.

The lack of fans in stadiums has to have an impact on the transfer budget (at some point in time, might be split over more than one season), as we haven't seen a reduction in salaries or dividends.

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman
I don’t expect to spend much. We don’t have much money and needed to get a debt (not as big as Barca of course), so I do not see where does the money come from. If we spend much it will either be players sales, Glazers funding it (unlikely) or from a new debt.

lysglimt

Scout
I am hoping for £100 million - but as I wrote in another post. This year there will be value in the market because clubs are desperate to raise cash - it will much more expensive in 12 months. So sign players this summer - and then we can be slightly more passive next summer.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
I've not really followed the BS in the press this summer much so far, but I'll be optimistic and say £70m net.

My thinking is that money is tight due to Covid, but other clubs will not give us a break on the United tax issue so moves will be difficult to make even if the intention is there.

The Glazers might sanction a decent budget of the club's money due to the bad press, but we know they won't put in their own money and they'll definitely take their dividends out, so I'm thinking we will be limited even if they allow reinvestment - unless they take-out further debt to cover signings, which no United fan should want.

In:

-Maybe one big signing like Sancho (not yet sure it will be him, he is just the obvious muppet for example right now) - £80m?
-One centre-back probably - £30m?
-A random punt at central-midfield to cover outgoings at a guess - £30m?
-Heaton on a free

Out:

-Lingard: £20m to West Ham after a summer of them dragging their feet and Jesse pushing for higher wages.
-VDB: £20m; a £15m loss from last summer seems right, probably back to Ajax if they have the money.
-Matic: to Roma for maybe £5m? Possibly on loan for the season to begin with because Italy.
-Tuanzabe: £10m to a Premier League side, Aston Villa seems obvious link.
-The current loan players with time left on contracts out again to whomever will take them.
-Williams to the Championship for a nominal amount, possibly some other academy players as well.

Other issues:

-I don't see Pogba being sold this window - he'll go for free next year.
-DDG I can't see anyone matching his wages, nor him dropping them enough to move so I think he stays another year as back-up and then we all reassess.
-Mata returns to Spain on a free.
-Jones isn't going anywhere, obviously.
-James I think gets another season as we don't have that much depth really.
-Martial: can't see who takes him at a fee worth it to us given his wages, no real pressure to sell here.
-Chasing Ings could well be accurate, but Southampton won't be sensible here given how important he is to them, so this one won't happen until the following summer when Cavani goes I think.

That should leave us aiming to have a good go at 4th behind Liverpool, City and Chelsea.

Last edited:

Matthew84!

If the reports are true, then Sancho will be our first signing, and will cost around £75-80m, and that will be our net spend. Next, we'll try to sell some players, my guess would be players loaned out this season: Lingard, Dalot, Pereira and Chong. Also, with Sancho, we can sell Dan James as well. So, around £65-70m for those 5 players. We can use this money to bring a CB for £45-50m, and Trippier for £15m. Any additional outgoings will be bonus, like Tuanzebe, Matic etc..

If we actually sell Matic, then we must bring a new DM, but it'll probably be on a budget.
This Makes sense, if we let Matic join Roma perhaps Utd could offer Tuanzebe and Lingard for Rice? Bissouma could also be a cheaper alternative.
I think if we sign Sancho, Trippier, CB and a CM, that'll be a good window.

laughtersassassin

Not enough sadly. It should be a huge summer since we wasted last year's.

Sadly we don't compensate for previous failures.

Tallis

Simple question. Net, gross, whatever. Do you think the Glazers will sanction a fairly busy/expensive summer, or will they be content to have another year with relatively little change?

For my part, I am cautiously optimistic that we may see a few big signings, for these reasons;
  • The anti-Glazer sentiment and protests have started kicking off again. Whilst it would be naive to think that the Glazers' massively care about this, I dont think it is unreasonable to suggest that it may motivate them to splash the cash a little in order to quell some of the unrest for another few years.
  • Murtough has taken over from Woodward. There is plenty of skepticism around this and rightly so. Either way, I dont think the Glazers will want to set him up to fail right from the start. They will want to back their new DoF, if for no other reason than getting the fans on-side with the new management/DoF.
  • We didnt spend a lot last year, and the COVID situation is starting to subside. Our huge commercial revenue has been a big help over the last 12 months, and we find ourselves in a position where not many clubs globally can afford to spend big. This is likely to drive down prices, making this year a good opportunity to find some value in the market, which will surely appeal to the Glazers.

I think our net spend will be comfortable in excess of £100m, and more like the £150m mark, although exactly what this means in terms of players I dont know.
I agree with your analysis except I think we will spend around £100-120mm net and hopefully have another £50mm from sales. I would add the following reasons to your rationale:

- We are going to make some money from being in the CL and I think our 2nd league position means we will get a better share of the market pool of revenue. If we win the Europa, that should help in terms of prize money and commercial revenue.

- We will have a significant exodus this summer. I think we get rid of at least 10 players in sales or contract expiries. If we want to be ruthless, we can move more of them.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I think it's going to be go big on Sancho, Mid range price CB(40-60m), cheap RB, cheap goalkeeper, cheap DM if we sell Matic and a midfielder if Pogba goes too

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
In a Non Glazer world it would be whatever it takes to strengthen our squad and add as much depth as possible but since we're still living in Glazer world it'll be just enough to patch the holes.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

I would be flabbergasted if we spend more than 50 mill net. They should seriously get their hands in their pockets and take advantage of the market as last summer was embarassing

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Signicantly less than the average prediction here.

Giggsy13

What we should spend - £150 million (net). What we’ll end up spending -£70 to £80 million (net)