How ridiculous is it that England hasn't hosted a major tournament since 1996?!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I assume that hooliganism robbed you from one tournament during the 70s-80s.

GlasgowRedz

Twice in Mexico and twice in Germany since 1970, and you think that’s a fine mix?

I’m admittedly biased but you need some serious cognitive dissonance to consider 4 out of 13 world cups being in the same two countries a “fine mix”
Maybe it doesn't make much of a difference anyway but Colombia were due to host in 86 but pulled out after being awarded it. Canada, USA and Mexico offered to host and the Mexican's were picked. I would assume the main reason for that being that they had a track record of being successful hosts.

Had Colombia followed through with their bid it would have been a pretty fair mix (aside from the second German WC and corruption allegations)

KranjskaKlobasa

Nope, seeing the list of WC host nations from 70's onward I can see Portugal and Netherlands both hosting the WC before England and would more than appreciate the tournament being somewhere in Central or Southeastern Europe.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
The Russian bid was fine in my opinion. Think they deserve a WC, good footballing nation with a long history going back to USSR (Yashin et al). Qatar should still be scrapped, but it won't because they've already spent 100 billion or so.
Overdue it really. Grand football history and the only European country with a population above 20m not to have hosted a major tournament.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Nope, seeing the list of WC host nations from 70's onward I can see Portugal and Netherlands both hosting the WC before England and would more than appreciate the tournament being somewhere in Central or Southeastern Europe.
We had the Euros in 2004 and don't have the infrastructure for the WC. Only way we'll have a World Cup here is if we make a bid with Spain.

Kag

It's not ridiculous but England is certainly due one in the near-to-mid future. England, or the UK infact, is a brilliant example of how to run a large event. In terms of finance, infrastructure, transport, attendance, welcome and - in football's case - impact on the game, then there are few, if any, countries capable of hosting a football tournament as well as England. This isn't jingoism either, moreso the reality of how the UK could cope with the demands of these kinds of tournaments.

GeorgieBoy

The anti-English sentiment on here isn't really a surprise; we do tend to delude ourselves as a footballing nation. Despite that, it does sort of make sense for it to go to England the next time it comes to Europe. Only Germany could rival us in terms of stadia, infrastructure and fan attendance for games; and they've had it more recently.

caid

The anti-English sentiment on here isn't really a surprise; we do tend to delude ourselves as a footballing nation. Despite that, it does sort of make sense for it to go to England the next time it comes to Europe. Only Germany could rival us in terms of stadia, infrastructure and fan attendance for games; and they've had it more recently.
I thought so too but a scandinavian WC could be nice. I really dont think FIFA give a rats ass about infrastructure or any other rational requirements of hosting a tournament like this though ... and i think you have to much self respect to bend over for them so it'll probably wind up elsewhere.

GeorgieBoy

I thought so too but a scandinavian WC could be nice. I really dont think FIFA give a rats ass about infrastructure or any other rational requirements of hosting a tournament like this though ... and i think you have to much self respect to bend over for them so it'll probably wind up elsewhere.
Yeah that would be pretty cool but surely an issue of having 3 teams automatically qualify?

Classical Mechanic

It's not ridiculous but England is certainly due one in the near-to-mid future. England, or the UK infact, is a brilliant example of how to run a large event. In terms of finance, infrastructure, transport, attendance, welcome and - in football's case - impact on the game, then there are few, if any, countries capable of hosting a football tournament as well as England. This isn't jingoism either, moreso the reality of how the UK could cope with the demands of these kinds of tournaments.
Add to that the language and the fact the conditions, in terms of the weather might, actually result in seeing some good tempo games and I don't think there is a better nation to hold the competition. That said, I'm not really bothered if we don't host it.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Twice in Mexico and twice in Germany since 1970, and you think that’s a fine mix?

I’m admittedly biased but you need some serious cognitive dissonance to consider 4 out of 13 world cups being in the same two countries a “fine mix”
Mexico replaced Colombia at the "last" minute, iirc they were the only none European country ready to host it. England could have hosted the 2006 WC but then a german poster would have been whining about not hosting a world cup in the last 40 years.

Coxy

We don't have a god given right to host stuff. It's not ridiculous at all - the world is a big place.

el magico

Supports
Manchester City
As an Englishman, living in England, and as someone who has watched World Cups/Euros around the world, I would much rather the tournament was not held in England. It is far more enjoyable and interesting being in a foreign country and although I am not going to Russia I am excited about watching games from unfamiliar stadiums.

I also went to half a dozen games in Euro 96 and, apart from England and Scotland matches,the attendances were truly woeful. I was at a QF at Old Trafford, the attendance was 43412.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I didn't mean just in Russia. Well I don't think developing country's should be spending money they simply don't have for a football tournament.
You can say that for any country. Instead of spending money on sports, they can feed the poor and build homes for homeless.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
our best chance was WC 2006 - but we fecked that bid up so the Germans got it

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
You can say that for any country. Instead of spending money on sports, they can feed the poor and build homes for homeless.
Come on there are certain extremes, look at the protests in Brazil around a million protests against the world cup. Its not a matter of feeding or homing, they health care and education is atrocious yet they spend billion's on it. Most of the stadia they build are simply not being used for anything.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Come on there are certain extremes, look at the protests in Brazil around a million protests against the world cup. Its not a matter of feeding or homing, they health care and education is atrocious yet they spend billion's on it. Most of the stadia they build are simply not being used for anything.
It's on the government to take risks and decide. Like some said you are assuming the money saved on this will be spent on poor and facilities rather than in the corrupt pockets.

FIFA have their process which is anyways corrupt. They shouldn't be deciding which country is eligible to bid and which isn't.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
England need to sort out the hooligans before even thinking of hosting a major tournament. Until that mess is sorted it's only fair that the likes of Russia and Qatar get to deputise the hosting of world cups.

Proving my point. England aren't ready to host a tournament.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

You do know England hosted the Euros not long ago? Also Russia has a far bigger problem with Ultras than England currently do so I don't see how you are "ok" with Russia hosting it, that's not to mention the other problems in Russia. All countries have the same problem.

Last edited:

Judas

Open to offers
Yep using hooligans as a reason for England not to host is laughable, and that's being kind.

It's political nonsense, that's why.

To be fair, aren't we getting quite a few important games for that weird Euros in 2020? That tournament is going to be odd.

Classical Mechanic

You do know England hosted the Euros not long ago? Also Russia has a far bigger problem with Ultras than England currently do so I don't see how you are "ok" with Russia hosting it, that's not to mention the other problems in Russia. All countries have the same problem.
Euro 96 was a resounding success in term of the way it was policed. What we see time and time again in other European countries, like France two years ago, is that their archaic approach to crowd and riot control helps fuels the violence.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/special_report/1998/hooligans/60451.stm

Paranoid Android

I can't embed media/links in this forum apparently, as I'm a "newbie". But just Google Russian football hooliganism; you won't struggle to find results. Only recently there was a bunch of Spartak Moscow fans that rioted in Spain after a Europa League fixture, ending with the death of a policeman.

Hooliganism doesn't seem to be very high up on Fifa's list of priorities.

Then again, I suppose we don't bribe like Russia does.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Euro 96 was a resounding success in term of the way it was policed. What we see time and time again in other European countries, like France two years ago, is that their archaic approach to crowd and riot control helps fuels the violence.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/special_report/1998/hooligans/60451.stm
I agree there is also a difference between a fan having to much to drink and being a dick to an actual football hooligan. Of course I condone neither, but there is a difference.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Guys I wasn't actually being serious. You English have a worse sense of humour than the Qataris and Russians.

Mr Smith

I personally think England should host a tournament simply so that other countries don't spend outrageous amounts of money building stadiums they'll never use again. England already have the infrastructure to host a world cup, it'd be the easiest tournament to organise since Germany in 06. Same goes for Spain IMO.