How ridiculous is it that England hasn't hosted a major tournament since 1996?!

diarm

I feel there should be a clearly set out set of minimum requirements (stadia, infrastructure, accommodation, transport, fan zones, legacy, human rights, security finances etc) made available before each bidding process.

Then any country is free to apply, but if a nation has hosted a world cup before they should move to the back of the queue.

At the moment it is too daunting for a lot of countries to make the enormous investment necessary to win a bid, when they know it is likely money down the drain because the bid will be awarded to either a large, established, popular country or richer nations who can bribe more.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
2034 is nailed on for China if they don’t break the rules and get it sooner. Xi wants a WC, FIFA wants China to have a WC, 2034 is technically the 1st one they can host...
England might have to wait until 2038 then. The world is too big.

Africa/Europe/North America/South America/Asia - that means from now on there will be a World Cup in Europe roughly every 20 years.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Not at all. There are a reasonable number of major countries all capable of hosting big international tournaments with relative ease: England, Spain, France, Germany, Italy and the US all come to mind immediately. In other cases smaller nations like the Netherlands and Belgium, or the Scandinavian countries, or Switzerland/Austria and a ton more can (or have) banded together in order to host one.

France hosted a tournament recently in 2016, and last hosted a WC in 1998 before that. Germany hosted the WC in 2006, and hosted the Euros as West Germany in 1988. Spain lasted hosted a major tournament in 1982. Italy last hosted one in 1990. I see no reason why England are being excluded here. Realistically they're probably due a WC soon, but modern, advanced nations like Canada and Australia could argue that they're more than capable of hosting it, with Australia having the added benefit of usually qualifying anyway.

Schneckerl

WC hosting policies are crap and terrible for the majority football fanbase
Prepare for them to get even worse

Cal?

CR7 fan
England might have to wait until 2038 then. The world is too big.

Africa/Europe/North America/South America/Asia - that means from now on there will be a World Cup in Europe roughly every 20 years.
For the foreseeable future, I think it’ll be Asia, Europe and ‘someone else’ on rotation. Football needs Europe than the other way round, and Asia has all the viewers and money to build white elephant stadiums

2026 will probably go to US (and co), 2030 back to Europe, 2034 China...

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
For the foreseeable future, I think it’ll be Asia, Europe and ‘someone else’ on rotation. Football needs Europe than the other way round, and Asia has all the viewers and money to build white elephant stadiums

2026 will probably go to US (and co), 2030 back to Europe, 2034 China...
We'll probably see a general rotation between Asia (including Australasia), Europe, Africa and the Americas for the most part. Which seems mostly fair enough.

Schneckerl

We'll probably see a general rotation between Asia (including Australasia), Europe, Africa and the Americas for the most part. Which seems mostly fair enough.
That's the plan. Not every continent contributes the same towards football, so I don't see how this distribution is fair.

Cal?

CR7 fan
You’re seriously overestimating the clout Africa has in FIFA if you think they’d get the WC as often as Europe or Asia.

In fact I won’t be surprised if China get 2030 against the rules now Xi is emperor.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
How ridiculous is it that England hasn't won a major tournament since 1966?!

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
You’re seriously overestimating the clout Africa has in FIFA if you think they’d get the WC as often as Europe or Asia.

In fact I won’t be surprised if China get 2030 against the rules now Xi is emperor.
I don't think it's that ridiculous a suggestion. They may have less clout but FIFA really loved the 2010 angle of taking the WC to a developing and previously disadvantaged place. It arguably felt like the 'biggest' WC of recent times in many respects, largely for that reason. Whether it's ideal or not is another matter but I don't think it's an unrealistic prospect. Europe's typically been favoured but their last WC was 2006, and this one is in one of the least European countries in Europe geographically, meaning it effectively works as a joint European/Asian WC to a certain extent.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
That's the plan. Not every continent contributes the same towards football, so I don't see how this distribution is fair.
But how do we determine what contribution is? Is it merely success alone? Because if so it'd be in South America a lot more often than it is...even though South American countries may lack the infrastructure of more advanced European states.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
What is this claim?

Their stadiums are worse than ours and their attendances are worse than ours.
Their general pedigree in world football is above that of England's. Three European Championships and one World Cup as opposed to one World Cup.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I don't think it's that ridiculous a suggestion. They may have less clout but FIFA really loved the 2010 angle of taking the WC to a developing and previously disadvantaged place. It arguably felt like the 'biggest' WC of recent times in many respects, largely for that reason. Whether it's ideal or not is another matter but I don't think it's an unrealistic prospect. Europe's typically been favoured but their last WC was 2006, and this one is in one of the least European countries in Europe geographically, meaning it effectively works as a joint European/Asian WC to a certain extent.
Europe typically gets it once every 8 years in the old days, now it’s 12, the rule that no confederation can host within 12 years was basically specifically aimed at Europe.

2006-2018-2030 will be back in Europe.

FIFA may have loved the angle, but ultimately, it’s about money and political capital. Asia and Europe are the dominant forces nowadays

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Agreed @TheReligion . Even crazier is that despotic states with little or no football history and infrastructure are hosting tournaments: Qatar and Russia
Christ, i know Russia's mostly been a mess of a national team for a long while now and really should have done a lot more to sort out it's grassroots setup over the past 20 years(which it has really paid for with this past decade of players) but even taking into account the underachieving it's just utterly ignorant to put them anywhere near Qatar in terms of having no football history or suitable infrastructure.

At the time of the bids and draw for 2018, Russia was the biggest country with a long footballing history not to have hosted. I'm no Putin supporter and can well understand much of the goodwill for the country hosting being eroded since due to the government seriously ramping up the authoritarian bullshit since then, plus the Olympic doping and hooliganism at Euro 2016, but at the time it was an easily understandable choice with other big EE footballing countries starting to host major tournaments like Poland/UKraine Euros.

Red Star One

Why ridiculous? Quite a few arguably more successful footballing countries have not hosted a major tournament for much longer than around 20 years, so I don't get why England would be somehow a special case. And you guys get both semi-finals and the final of the upcoming Euro, so really no reason to complain.

Fridge chutney

Christ, i know Russia's mostly been a mess of a national team for a long while now and really should have done a lot more to sort out it's grassroots setup over the past 20 years(which it has really paid for with this past decade of players) but even taking into account the underachieving it's just utterly ignorant to put them anywhere near Qatar in terms of having no football history or suitable infrastructure.

At the time of the bids and draw for 2018, Russia was the biggest country with a long footballing history not to have hosted. I'm no Putin supporter and can well understand much of the goodwill for the country hosting being eroded since due to the government seriously ramping up the authoritarian bullshit since then, plus the Olympic doping and hooliganism at Euro 2016, but at the time it was an easily understandable choice with other big EE footballing countries starting to host major tournaments like Poland/UKraine Euros.
It is still irresponsible to host the world cup in a place like Russia. Just because Qatar is worse does not make Russia the correct choice.

Canuckred64

I don't think you will see a World Cup in England or the US until FIFA runs out of rouge nations who let them get away with their corruption. Unless they give into FIFIA.

Take a look what is happening wth some of the cities in the US and Canada who are not interested in hosting the 2026 World Cup.

FIFA has a 12-page document outlining the tax breaks and funding guarantees it required for a 2026 bid on its website last fall. Among its demands, is what amounts to a 10-year tax exemption. Another of FIFA’s requirements is that it be allowed to import and export unlimited amounts of foreign currency, without being taxed. They want anyone who works for FIFA to almost have diplomatic immunity, but countries are getting wise about this type of corruption.

As much As I would like to see a World Cup in England or the US and Canada in my lifetime, it is not worth dealing with FIFA.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Just dawned on me earlier that its over 20 years since Euro 96. Over 50 years since England hosted a World Cup.

Utterly bonkers given the history, facilities and infrastructure.
Agreed. England should host another WC or Euro. And I'm sure they will.....once the likes of Belize, Madagascar, and Tibet are done hosting their WCs. Because you know, the WC is now an economic lottery for those who need the help (under the banner of promoting football globally of course).

MDFC Manager

Not sure what would be special about an English/British world cup. I wonder how many non English even want this.

Much rather see an Australian world cup.

caid

Not very ridiculous. Theres only been 13 World Cups since 66, its not that many and the competition for World Cups in europe is a hell of a lot stronger than any other region. Anyway lets be honest, the UK isn't liked within FIFA. Its not hard to find an excuse to give it to someone else when you've got half a dozen countries with comparable facilities on your doorstep.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Not sure what would be special about an English/British world cup. I wonder how many non English even want this.

Much rather see an Australian world cup.
I agree.

I am all for taking the world cup to new territories.

Even India's hosting of the U17 world cup shows what can be done when countries are actually given a chance.

Australia,China etc ahead of an English world cup imo.

Classical Mechanic

I think were could have hosted the next Euros but UEFA found that there was little interest from any country to do so and that is why it has been shared around.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Well... I'm not a brit.

So here's my 2c.

Nobody cares about England, although many asians seems to support them, but on the grand scheme of things I don't care if you hosted them or not, nor if you win them or not. Infact lately I'd started to bet against England because they have good odds, and ussually make money.

You have no likeable stars after Beckham and co. You have shit atmosphere compared to the SouthKorea/Japan host where we can see variety from things we see on EPL on weekly basis, even Brazil is a bit of a welcome breeze for me rather than seeing the same ol stadium and the same ol sets of fans. And to top it off your press is annoying, even for non brits. I still remember the Euro 1996 how your media made funs of ze german only to get booted out by them. You lot aren't a very likeable chaps for neutrals.

EDIT: and as a caftards, seeing them fail and revel in their misery is akin to seeing RAWK after a lost, it's an entertainment for me, how the press bigging them up and failed on the very small resistance (cough.. iceland) they met and come crashing out.

podurban2

So, Italy and Spain should be ahead of England in hosting a major tournament.

/thread

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
1996 is not that long ago.

Spain and Italy haven't hosted stuff for longer and since you don't want to be part of Europe anymore you can take your Farage and BoJo and feck right off!

love you

Skills

Snitch
Well... I'm not a brit.

So here's my 2c.

Nobody cares about England, although many asians seems to support them, but on the grand scheme of things I don't care if you hosted them or not, nor if you win them or not. Infact lately I'd started to bet against England because they have good odds, and ussually make money.

You have no likeable stars after Beckham and co. You have shit atmosphere compared to the SouthKorea/Japan host where we can see variety from things we see on EPL on weekly basis, even Brazil is a bit of a welcome breeze for me rather than seeing the same ol stadium and the same ol sets of fans. And to top it off your press is annoying, even for non brits. I still remember the Euro 1996 how your media made funs of ze german only to get booted out by them. You lot aren't a very likeable chaps for neutrals.

EDIT: and as a caftards, seeing them fail and revel in their misery is akin to seeing RAWK after a lost, it's an entertainment for me, how the press bigging them up and failed on the very small resistance (cough.. iceland) they met and come crashing out.
Well isn't that your problem? Just stop watching the premier league, it's easy. Give up on the premier league, watch some other league for a few years and voilla you have a bit of a refresher in your life.

The fact that you choose to obsess with the English league enough to get tired of it, is a problem only created by yourself.