How the coming season will be impacted by the World Cup

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I'm mainly thinking just in terms of United, but it's worthy of general discussion I think.

The opening day is pencilled in for the 6th of August, with a break from 14th of November until Boxing Day. This surely means that Ten Hag and Murtough et al. will need to be very quick operators in the market, both shifting players out and recruiting players, bearing in mind that we have a pre-season tour beginning in Australia on the 12th of July.

What I'm quite curious about is whether those not going to the World Cup will be given an extended break, or whether it will be used as incredibly invaluable time on the training pitch to get up to speed with the new manager's vision?

I'm assuming the players we'll have at the club, outside of new recruits, will be de Gea, Dalot, Shaw, Maguire, Varane, Lindelof, Fernandez, Laird, Garner, Mejbri, McTominay, Fred, Donny, Bruno, Elanga, Garnacho, Amad, Pellistri, Sancho, Rashford, Cristiano, maybe even Chong.

Lindelof, Fernandez, Laird, Garner, Elanga, Amad, Chong, and likely McTominay, aren't featuring. Garnacho and Pellistri question marks. It's at the very least an opportunity to drill the younger players and get them familiar with how Ten Hag wants to play, with quite a few likely getting opportunities if, as seems likely, we'll end up in the Europa Conference League.

There's the obvious downside of having to work incredibly fast at beginning a mini-revolution in reshaping the team, in next to no time. With possible benefits on the training pitch if the rest aren't off on holiday, while Ten Hag and his staff will get that month and a half prior to the January window to assess more in-depth who fits and prepare the 2nd transfer window during his reign with more time on their hands.

Definitely would prefer Garnacho, Mejbri, Pellistri and anyone else really, not going to the World Cup if they're just wasting their time sitting on the bench like Rashford did during the Euros. Not least if they could be using that time on the training pitch.

Last edited:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It will be interesting to see how the relegation/EL spots change. There will likely be some mid-table teams with a few players featuring that will derail their season and some mid-table sides with little to no players featuring helping them loads. Plus you'd expect a fair few teams to sack off the League/FA Cup.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I think teams with most players in the World Cup might suffer from players getting end of season syndrome, because they basically just finished a very important competition during midseason.
It will all come to how well the clubs prepare the training regime and player's mental response after the World Cup.

kthanksbye

I'm wondering if we'll see a notable difference in the efforts players will be putting with one eye on the worldcup.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

This is absolutely needed. Seems the two assistants have been sorted (or about to be anyway), but we simply have to do business super early, both with pre-season starting very soon and the season opener on 6th of August. And a host of players leaving.

So this makes total sense:

If we're going all out for Frenkie de Jong, we still have to make sure that situation is resolved one way or another within the next month or so as it will affect everything else we do in the market, so I hope there's a suitable alternative we're working on already.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I think it will be really interesting next year.

Not every prem team will have loads of players at world cup.

Someone like Brighton can keep their squad together, give them a week or two off and then have mini pre season and come out flying for xmas fixtures.

We've seen this year the impact of losing euros final on pens had on England players.

Now imagine (calm down foreign fans :)) England losing a world cup final on pens....and then those players having to come back a few days later and play in xmas schedule of 4 games in 10 days or whatever it will be, they won't be able to hack it.

So I think we could see a team in lower mid table massively climb the league in short period if they don't have many internationals.

Hate having world cup in the winter anyway, probably be the least invested I've ever been in one.

I assume other leagues will still have some form of winter break at back end of December so they probably won't be as impacted as much.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think it will be really interesting next year.

Not every prem team will have loads of players at world cup.

Someone like Brighton can keep their squad together, give them a week or two off and then have mini pre season and come out flying for xmas fixtures.

We've seen this year the impact of losing euros final on pens had on England players.

Now imagine (calm down foreign fans :)) England losing a world cup final on pens....and then those players having to come back a few days later and play in xmas schedule of 4 games in 10 days or whatever it will be, they won't be able to hack it.

So I think we could see a team in lower mid table massively climb the league in short period if they don't have many internationals.

Hate having world cup in the winter anyway, probably be the least invested I've ever been in one.

I assume other leagues will still have some form of winter break at back end of December so they probably won't be as impacted as much.
With the Final on the 18th of December, those going far in the tournament will no doubt require at least two weeks off so they'll be back I'd assume early January. I absolutely think this favours the smaller sides. And it would have favoured United had we been completely out of Europe - but perhaps ten Hag will use the European fixtures for the general squad players, making sure he'll have the first XI available as much as possible on the training pitch.

Such a mad scenario.

Nero

With the Final on the 18th of December, those going far in the tournament will no doubt require at least two weeks off so they'll be back I'd assume early January. I absolutely think this favours the smaller sides. And it would have favoured United had we been completely out of Europe - but perhaps ten Hag will use the European fixtures for the general squad players, making sure he'll have the first XI available as much as possible on the training pitch.

Such a mad scenario.
Not sure why they'll need an extended break afterwards.

It's not like after summer tournaments where they get extra time because all players are entitled to/need a few weeks off.

No different to the African players playing in their tournament and immediately returning to their clubs.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Not sure why they'll need an extended break afterwards.

It's not like after summer tournaments where they get extra time because all players are entitled to/need a few weeks off.

No different to the African players playing in their tournament and immediately returning to their clubs.
Salah wasn't really the same coming back this season from AFCON after losing the final so there's the mental aspect for those who get to later stages but don't win the trophy to take into account particularly as prem players would come back to go straight into the congested xmas schedule when they've just played intense four week tournament.

I think in some ways it will be harder to negotiate than the lockdown season so intrigued who comes through in January stronger.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
It sounds absolutely crazy that the PL will just immediately return on boxing day. Bundesliga takes a break until January 20th.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I did 'next' season on a football manager save about six months ago and if that is anything to go by if a team gets to the semi's in both domestics cups and Europe they will be very lucky if they get a midweek break at any point post the return from the world cup and will possibly have to play two midweek games sometimes.

It's going to make the restart period look like the definition of R and R. For the sake of player welfare thankgod the 5 sub rule is back.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
It sounds absolutely crazy that the PL will just immediately return on boxing day. Bundesliga takes a break until January 20th.
That's the way to do it, just play a bit into June if needs be.

90 + 5min

Don't see any problem. They are paid to play and teams have big squad.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Don't see any problem. They are paid to play and teams have big squad.
That was the attitude during the lockdowns and we watched these players being run into the ground.

I did 'next' season on a football manager save about six months ago and if that is anything to go by if a team gets to the semi's in both domestics cups and Europe they will be very lucky if they get a midweek break at any point post the return from the world cup and will possibly have to play two midweek games sometimes.

It's going to make the restart period look like the definition of R and R. For the sake of player welfare thankgod the 5 sub rule is back.
Yeah, Europe could be a major problem for clubs. Which is why I'm hoping we won't treat it as anything other than a great opportunity for players to get proper games under their belt. We'll need all the time we can on the training ground. You lot at least are used to your coach and can recall a 100 players from their loans.

Spaghetti

Mom's

Such a mad scenario.
Why will they need a 2 week break after the tournament?

How many players have we had reach the final of an international tournament before anyway?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Is it balls. Remember only 22 + 10 players in the whole world will actually be in the final anyway. Most players will be getting a long break as it is.
3rd place play off is the day before the final so need to take into account those aswell.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I think the fact that the emotional climax of the season is moved to November/December will also mess with quite a few players. Who will find it hard to switch back to the daily grind after world cup drama.

90 + 5min

The problem is that players aren't robots.
No, but that is their job. Teams have big squad. If player isn't fit you replace him during a period. Just like now. Don't give them more excuses to why they can't run.

That was the attitude during the lockdowns and we watched these players being run into the ground.
Our players? Or football in general? I still don't see any problems. It is not like every player is gone to world cup and I'll say again. Teams have big squad and can use it.

Jam

What’s the deadline for World Cup squads to be confirmed?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Wonder if we are going to see a bumper January transfer window. Load of players in the shop window when they might be overlooked at club level.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Why will they need a 2 week break after the tournament?

How many players have we had reach the final of an international tournament before anyway?
Sure, maybe none of them will be out there for that long, but it's conceivable some will be.

Our players? Or football in general? I still don't see any problems. It is not like every player is gone to world cup and I'll say again. Teams have big squad and can use it.
Well, it didn't help we had a manager back then who refused to use the squad but kept adding to it, while running his favourites into the ground. It will be a quite delicate task to manage the squad and players' fitness this coming season though, but the pressure is still there to produce results and it's not like teams have two sets of XIs that are similar in quality, far from it.

Wonder if we are going to see a bumper January transfer window. Load of players in the shop window when they might be overlooked at club level.
I think so. This window will be hectic to say the least. For us doubly so, but generally it will be pretty extreme. And then teams in the Prem will have up to 6 weeks prior to the January window to plan their business (other leagues even longer, like @do.ob mentioned) so the January window might be more proactive than reactionary.

Chief123

I believe the last 16 of the carabao cup is played just 2 days after the World Cup final. That’s mental! Good luck to any of those players getting to the final!