How to Post Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeasteDevil

For those of you that have difficulties when first trying to post images, I've put together a little post to help you.

1) You cannot post pictures directly from your computer unless it is running a Web Server and has a Static IP address or at least a URL managed by a Dynamic IP to URL mapping service. You will have to sign up for an account with a service such as www.photobucket.com or use a no registration image hosting service such as www.imageshack.us. This example will show Photobucket.

2) On the part in the top right that says Upload and "Browse", you need to give Photobucket an image stored on your PC. Use "Browse" to select the file and then "Upload" to give it to Photobucket.

3) After it has uploaded to Photobucket, you can copy directly the text in vBulletin format and then paste that into any of your posts. This can be seen in the large circle in the image below. You will notice that the URL for the image is surrounded by IMG open and close tags. If posting something directly from the Web and have its URL, you can type these in directly and past the URL between them.

4) Alternatively, you can use the "Go Advanced" feature of this forum. The button for this is shown in the image above in the small red circle. If you click on this, you are shown the advanced posting window below.

5) Here you can see a button that looks like a mountain with the sun behind it. If you click on this, a small dialog box will appear where you can paste a URL, either from Photobucket (the URL not the text with IMG tags) or anywhere else from the Web. When you click on OK in the dialog box, it will place the URL in IMG tags for you at the cursor position in the text edit window. Add whatever text around this you want to post, and click the "Submit Reply" button to post it. You can also select "Preview Post" to view what it will look like without actually posting it. The result is shown below.

I hope this helps.

WeasteDevil

To copy images from a web page, place the mouse pointer over the image, and click on the right mouse button. Depending upon your browser, you should see something such as "Copy Image Location". Selecting this option will copy the URL of the image into the clipboard, and you can then paste it using the instruction in my previous post.

Do not try to post a .HTM or .HTML URL as an image, it simply will not work. Only images such as URLs ending in .jpg, .bmp, .gif, .png, etc.

WeasteDevil

For those of you that have difficulties when first trying to post YouTube videos, I've put together a little post to help you. There are several ways to do this, but I'm going to show you the one that takes the least amount of post space.

1) The first thing to know is that if you are not at the YouTube webpage, and you see the video on some other site (embedded in a forum for example), double click on it, and it will open another tab/window with the video on youtube.com.

2) Once on the YouTube website (as shown above), first check that there is something in the "embed" field shown in the large red circle. If it says "Embedding disabled by request", then it will not show when posted on this forum, so it's just better to post the URL instead so it takes people to the YouTube website. If however there is some nonsense looking code in there, your post is going to work.

The best way to do this is to highlight everything after the "v=" in the field "URL" shown in the big red circle, and copy it. Another thing you can do is copy the text between "v=" and the "&" (if there is one) in your browser address bar (shown in the small red circle).

3) When you have that copied into your clipboard, go to where you are posting on redcafe.net. YouTube videos are stored in tags similar to the IMG ones shown for images, but this time it's "YOUTUBE" not "IMG" if you want to type the tags in yourself. If not, you need to go into the advanced posting pages described in the how to post images section, but this time click on the "Tube" icon. Clicking on this will insert the "YOUTUBE" tags into your post. All you need to do now is paste the YouTube video ID you copied previously into the middle of them.

4) Once you make your post, the video should appear as shown below.....

I hope this helps!

BahamaRed

Legend
On the same thing, there's a thing called "manage attachments" just below the "reply to thread".....what's all that about?
I tried to upload like it says but have no idea where the image goes or how to put it into a thread. I use Photobucket and webshots (I like webshots....they allow you to resize the pic to fit into bulleting boards better.) but if this "manage attachments" worked it would be far easier.

Decotron

Not sure if its me being a tool but I cant seem to post pictures? I've followed a couple of the instructions above but with no joy, any mods about that could check my profile to see if its on the blink? Thanks

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Not sure if its me being a tool but I cant seem to post pictures? I've followed a couple of the instructions above but with no joy, any mods about that could check my profile to see if its on the blink? Thanks
Are you sure you posted the link inside these tags?

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
make sure you have the correct url of the image .ie it should end with an image type like .jpeg, .gif etc then put them between the img tags like the above poster.

Status
Not open for further replies.