How to pronounce "Jose"

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Are we pronouncing Jose's name incorrectly? Always thought it was strange that the UK pronounced Jose with a hard "J" like "Joe-zay" instead of "hoe-zay" like the Spanish or Mexicans would. Thought maybe that's just the way Portuguese pronounced it, but then I heard Karanka in a pre-match interview today refer to him a couple times as "hoe-zay". Anyone out there know the proper way to pronounce it? By that, I mean the way it was intended by the Portuguese not you manglers of language, the Brits.

macheda14

Hard J. Karanka would have pronounced that because he is Spanish, but protuguese pronunciation is with a hard J. I expect most English people are unknowingly correct.

Dante

Average bang
Portugeezers pronounce 'J' like the Frogs. It's a soft 'J', not a hard 'J' or a devoiced 'J'.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The J is pronounced in Portuguese.

Spanish speakers would say 'ho-say', hence why Karanka did.

El Zoido

He pronounces it "Joe-zay" himself, so I'll go with that. I assume he knows how to pronounce his own name.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's Portuguese, so it's Joe-zay.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Portuguese is with a J

Spanish is with a H

Oscie

Ho-say sounds wrong when said by a Brit. That's the name of the waiter we shout at when we're abroad because we think volume overcomes cultural differences.

He's Jo-say now anyway and always will be. In the song, in the media, in the streets in the boudoirs. Changing it now will be as weird as that time people suddenly started using Andrew Cole. Somethings you can't change. Obviously some things you want to change, like celebrity deaths. Bowie for example. All tragic. Not so much Paul Daniels but...

Jo-say.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
Ho-say sounds wrong when said by a Brit. That's the name of the waiter we shout at when we're abroad because we think volume overcomes cultural differences.

He's Jo-say now anyway and always will be. In the song, in the media, in the streets in the boudoirs. Changing it now will be as weird as that time people suddenly started using Andrew Cole. Somethings you can't change. Obviously some things you want to change, like celebrity deaths. Bowie for example. All tragic. Not so much Paul Daniels but...

Jo-say.
I have a problem with jo"say" which doesn't sound at all with jo"sé"

stevoc

That's how both Van Gaal and Kluivert pronounce it. I'm assuming they are right. Being Dutch and whatnot.
Well like Louis and Patrick you could be wrong. I'll go with how Daley himself pronounces it, see here 0:47 Blind like wind. I'm assuming he's right with it being his name and whatnot :p

Last edited:

jem

I hated the way commentators used to pronounce 'Javier' when talking about Chicharito. They always would say 'havi-eh', when in reality, it should be 'havi-err.' Don't know why this bugged me so much...

spwd

I posted years ago about how to pronounce Thomas Rosicky as most say Rosisky, so wtf is it?

Oscie

You should say it garbled, whilst occasionally coming up for air and asking 'Is this satisfactory for you, Sir?'

Oscie

You can make a case for both the J and H pronunciations based on either one being the right answer or the fact that he's colloquially called the other and has been since he arrived.

What bugs me is when football fans call the Arsenal manager Wenger. As if they've listened to how everyone has pronounced his name in the hundreds of times a week they've heard it since he arrived in this country more than 20 years ago and thought: "nope"

sugar_kane

Zho-zay like the 's' sound in 'fusion', at least if my understanding of Portuguese pronunciation is correct (which it might not be).

LFC-Fans

Supports
Liverpool
Yo-say?
Ho-Say?
Joe-Zay?

Its cant be Joe-Zay. Hes not from fecking Peckham, hes Portugese ffs