How will we play?

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Rashford will be playing right-wing on Saturday in the manner of Welbeck, I'd bet my testicles on it if the bookies would stop being pedantic.

Rocknrolla69er

I don’t think he’s been developed brilliantly, but I still think TFM has it in him to do something like what Fernandinho does personally.
I almost added TFM to the original post as he’s the only one on the books who could possibly play there and looks very mobile, if we cannot groom a defensive midfielder of the mentioned type then I hope the new sporting director can find us one, I don’t think Matic is mobile enough now nowhere near it was painful against Liverpool watching him and Fellaini lumbering around not to mention the big lapses in concentration

Loony BoB

Never been convinced of Rashford on the right, and he's one of my fave players in our team. Left side or up front, preferably. I don't mind Lingard on the right, even if he's better behind the striker.

Negan

Hopefully a diamond with Mata behind Rashford and Martial.

Gordon S

Got even more excited for the game on saturday after reading up on his prefered tactics! Needs some time to implement them of course but hopefully we can get a taste of his ideas. Feels surreal to have a manager that actually focus on scoring goals.

Zed 101

As long as we actually attack with pace the players will sort it out, hopefuly they will be able to lose the absurd way we have been breaking at pace, get past the half way line and check back instead of cracking on nonsense we have had the last 2.5 years, it may take a while for players to forget all they have been forced to do.

Sgt.Major

More important - should the OT crowd follow every pass with "Ole!" or not?

Crackers

greasy ginfers
I think we'll play with pace and won't be conservative with how we progress and transition. Especially the midfield 3. Mourinho was far too conservative with his selections and style, and I think that'll be the main difference. Unsure of the specifics, but I'd say we'll be far more relaxed when playing.

vidic blood & sand

I think the primary focus will be on the wings, and movement in midfield. I'm gonna go......

------------Degea

Valencia--Bailly--Lindelof--Shaw

------------Matic---------------

-----Fred-------Pogba--------

Rashford---------------Martial

-----------Lukaku------------

Smores

I think the primary focus will be on the wings, and movement in midfield. I'm gonna go......

------------Degea

Valencia--Bailly--Lindelof--Shaw

------------Matic---------------

-----Fred-------Pogba--------

Rashford---------------Martial

-----------Lukaku------------
Think it'll be close to this but really hope he sticks with Dalot rather than Valencia.

I don't think without signings we can address our defensive issues so we just need to step higher up the pitch and make sure we score enough so our defence doesn't lose us points

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Chong and Greenwood could be part of the squad tomorrow it seems.

scoi

The Cardiff game shouldn't really be considered as Ole's first game. He's barely landed, doesn't know the players and making too many changes is dangerous.

This is Carrick's team and I would imagine little in the way of personality changes (Pogba returns) and it'll be a change in attitude that will hopefully be noticeable.

No more having no option apart from hitting it long to Lukaku. Midfielders actually passing and some players in front of them.

Canagel

Chong and Greenwood could be part of the squad tomorrow it seems.
Any source or is that just hope on your part?
I don't think much will change for Saturday, still expecting the likes of lukakau, matic to start but over the next few games more players will be given a chance to stake their claims as its busy period and he said he will rotate - maybe chong and greenwood will get some opportunity of the bench then.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Any source or is that just hope on your part?
I don't think much will change for Saturday, still expecting the likes of lukakau, matic to start but over the next few games more players will be given a chance to stake their claims as its busy period and he said he will rotate - maybe chong and greenwood will get some opportunity of the bench then.
There was a game earlier where we played Derby under 23, and neither player was involved. Unless Chong was injured against Reading, but the MUTV commentary team didn't mention anything at all. I think McKenna has made the call on Chong and possibly Greenwood.

Crashoutcassius

For me he needs to solve the midfield three.

Under Mourinho we were hugely negative and defensive with the selections of Matic, Herrera and Fellaini who are all primarily defensive , personally I don’t think any of the three are anywhere near the standard we need to challenge for a title.

I’ve posted previously how Man City set up with Fernandinho just behind a massively creative, fluid attack minded two of David Silva and Bernardo Silva or De Bruyne

I think our main issue is we don’t have a mobile enough defensive midfielder to allow us to play any of an attack minded 2 of Fred/Mata/Pogba/Perreira or even possibly Sanchez

I think the solution is a Matic replacement to allow a Pogba/Fred partnership , shame we don’t have a replacement in the building
Fred played as deepest midfielder at shaktar so in a more positive outfit he is a matic replacement. Think jorginho at chelski

LuckyScout78

My feeling is saying that Rashford will play more regular under Ole than Mourinho, who change or rotate his attacking line up alot. And the starting line up too.

So i m hoping Ole can show and teach his finishing skills to Rashford and all attacking players, maybe defenders too. You never know. Smalling does score some goals here and there. United should be more sharper, clicinial and more determination in the final third. Ole was a clinical, sharp and determination finisher. I think and hope United players take benefit of it. Most of the time Ole need only 2 touches to score. Because he was top determination and had the abilities a top striker should have. He had it the same way Robert Lewandoski when he was on his best, before and at Dortmund period.

And again with Rashford. If i was United manager. Of all the outfield player. He will the first one i will put on the starting line up. Easily as a striker. And with the opponents that United will meet in the fixtures. With a manager like Ole. Those factors made me to buy Rashford on Fantasy premier league. Rashford always give 100 %, top guts, really good speed and acceleration. If he could be more effience infront of goal. Then i think he will have many assist and goals to end of the season. You are not dropping Rashford if you want a good attacking force. I really enjoyed Rashford and Martial during the time with LVG. Those 2 boys made LVG last to the end of season and 2 of the reasons of FA cup victory. LVG only had Rashford and Martial in his last season. So adding with players like Pogba, Sanchez and Lukaku. Its clearly a lot a lot better service. If you get the best out of those players.

So sum up of all this factors. Ole, the service of players i mentioned and if Rashford will start more regular. What i think he should. And opponents teams United should beat the next two months before Liverpool and City. Its a no brainer not to buy RAshford on fantasy premier league. Same with Martial, if he start more regular too. Ole will not rotate and bench RAshford as much as often as Mourinho, same as Martial. But RAshford give best feeling. Rashford is not a mood player. He scored really high on all mentality abilities. Like winning menatality that goes hand in hand with guts, same with fighting spirit. So with the pace he has. I agree both with LVG and Mourinho that RAshford is best as a striker, maybe together with Lukaku or Sanchez?and Martial on the left. Martial is more skillsful. The boy is from the french football school, the latin samba and european Brazil. Zidane, Pires, Mbappe and a lot more. So Martial on left and Sanchez is clinical, maybe most consistent clinical, will have a more central role.

Example in a 4-4-2 it will be.
x - x - Pobga - Martial + Lukaku/Sanchez - Rashford.

And another formation and alternative to 4-4-2 that will suit current squad is 4-3-1-2

Fred/Herrera(RCM) - Matic/Herrera( DCM) - Pogba/Pereira(LCM) + Sanchez/Mata/Lingard(cam or a free nr.10 a free role) + Rashford - Martial (strikers)

So again. Rashford is the outfield player that i think and feel will play a lot more regular under Ole. AGain he is not a mood and up and down player. You know what you will get from the boy. Its always 100 %. With adding of Ole. Gave me good reasons to buy and add him on my fantasy premier league team. A no brainer.

Canagel

There was a game earlier where we played Derby under 23, and neither player was involved. Unless Chong was injured against Reading, but the MUTV commentary team didn't mention anything at all. I think McKenna has made the call on Chong and possibly Greenwood.[/QUOTE
And now hearing Lukaku will miss the next two games on compassionate leave so yeah that explains why Greenwood may have been pulled out. He will be in the squad

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Very happy to hear him say he's going to focus on getting the players to play the way he wants before being drawn on results.
Music to my ears.

John Blund

Like Man. United.
If it's a 4-4-1-1 or 4-1-3-1-1 we'll see.

We'll have fullbacks bursting forward, and a striker whose not so isolated. Solskjaer, a former striker, can't play with a lone striker up top, in a 4-5-1 formation.

Holters

Solskjær is quite pragmatic when it comes to formations and plays whatever works and suits his players. Molde mostly played 4-3-3 during the 2018 season, but Molde has played 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1, 4-4-2, 4-4-1-1 and even 3-4-3 during Solskjær's time as a manager there. It will be interesting to see what he choses. My guess is 4-2-3-1 with high pressing, playing out from the back, fullbacks providing width, keeping possession/dominating with the ball and strikers with high workrate pressuring defenders and interrupting build-up.

Could mean something like this:

Dalot - Bailly - Lindelöf - Shaw
Herrera - Pogba
Mata - Lingard - Martial
Rashford​

I'm unsure who Solskjær will choose from Smalling/Bailly, Matic/Herrerra or Sanchez/Rashford. In the case of the latter pair, my feeling is that he will go with the local lad rather than Sanchez, even though Sanchez probably will suit Solskjaer's style very well.

Reactions: Invictus

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Solskjær is quite pragmatic when it comes to formations and plays whatever works and suits his players. Molde mostly played 4-3-3 during the 2018 season, but Molde has played 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1, 4-4-2, 4-4-1-1 and even 3-4-3 during Solskjær's time as a manager there. It will be interesting to see what he choses. My guess is 4-2-3-1 with high pressing, playing out from the back, fullbacks providing width, keeping possession/dominating with the ball and strikers with high workrate pressuring defenders and interrupting build-up.

Could mean something like this:

Herrera - Pogba
Mata - Lingard - Martial
Rashford​

I'm unsure who Solskjær will choose from Smalling/Bailly, Matic/Herrerra or Sanchez/Rashford. In the case of the latter pair, my feeling is that he will go with the local lad rather than Sanchez, even though Sanchez probably will suit Solskjaer's style very well.
Sanchez isn't fit yet.

Matic will start but i think Pogba will be given licence to get forward far more

T A

Like 4 matches under Giggs's era. Fragile attacking. Can win and can lose at the same time at any time.

Will be like Moyes's season if the board ends of deciding to give Ole permanent deal

Reactions: Cheimoon

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Thanks. That's an interesting article with lots of tactical pics from games.

We have a lot of players that don't appear that well suited to an intense high-press.
'He cites Pep as a role model'

So much for him being 'obsessed' with SAF.
Management style: SAF
Tactical:Pep and others.

He's clearly a student of the game

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Like 4 matches under Giggs's era. Fragile attacking. Can win and can lose at the same time at any time.

Will be like Moyes's season if the board ends of deciding to give Ole permanent deal
Ole has managed over 400 pro matches.

Giggs hadn't ever managed before. This is completely irrelevant and disrespectful frankly.

You can be pessimistic all you like, but the only way we will know is after a few months.

slir32

When everyone is fit i would play if the 4231 system is used:

Herrera - Pogba
Rashford - Sanchez - Martial
Lukaku

wolvored

I think 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 as he will gradually change the system to get the best out of Pogba. I think eventually he might go 4-1-4-1 with
Shaw/Young LB Lindelof/Bailly/Smalling CD Dalot/Young RB.
Matic/Herrera at the base with Pogba and Fred/Periera as the attacking midfielders, flanked by Lukaku/Sanchez R and Martial/Rashford/Sanchez L. with
Martial/Rashford/Sanchez up front. Ole will rotate a lot. He will (perhaps towards the end of the season), promote 1-2 youngsters to the first team

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I'm not sure about the lineup or formation, but if he can get our better players (pogba / sanchez / Martial ) firing, then we should witness some good football for a change.